Changes comming to Pet Racials (Updated 23th April)

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » April 22nd, 2013, 4:28 pm

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8569111236#15

We're going to be buffing some pet passives in a future patch, and elementals are on the list. We feel that the elemental passive is currently too confusing in that it is somewhat ambiguous with regard to direct effects of weather, but not effects that are not directly related to weather.

For example, if your opponent has a pet that gains an additional attack in a Blizzard, they will still get the additional attack against your elemental pet. This can feel bad in some cases and we want pet passives to always feel good and useful. We also feel that weather is one of the more fun and synergistic elements of Pet Battles, so at this point in time, we’re thinking of redesigning the elemental pet passive along the lines of a ~50% reduction in damage for the turn one is swapped in. Our goal being that we’d rather have a passive in place that increases the strategic depth of elemental pets, and is clear in its intention and functionality.

Keep in mind, we’re still evaluating the numbers and everything is subject to change, but we’d sincerely appreciate any constructive feedback you may have!

Bravo I say! The current Elemental racial is way, way too confusing and dramatically impeding them on several setups.
Last edited by Luciandk on April 23rd, 2013, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Re: Changes comming to Elementals (Blue Post)

Post by Maizing » April 22nd, 2013, 7:32 pm

So... does this change mean that elementals will no longer be immune to, say, the damage from Lightning Storm, but will benefit from the extra health from Sunshine?

Luciandk

Post by Luciandk » April 22nd, 2013, 7:43 pm

From the sound of it, they are going to scrap the currently unintuitive Elemental racial and replace it with something else. Which could be the above mentioned 50% less damage when swapped into a battle.

Warlock
Top Rater
Pet Score:4667
Realm:Bloodhoof-us

Post by Warlock » April 23rd, 2013, 12:38 pm

I don't like the proposed change. Agree with their reasoning for changing it, but 50% off the first attack seems like a fairly boring racial. I don't know....

Luciandk

Post by Luciandk » April 23rd, 2013, 2:20 pm

New info, some major improvements for critters!
From the same thread as above:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic ... ?page=2#36

Indeed, as well as Critters and Magic! Here's what we're thinking and working on at the moment, and again, please share your thoughts and feedback:

Aquatic: Harmful DoTs reduced by 50% (up from 25%)
Aquatic-types currently reduce the effect of harmful damage over time abilities by 25%. Because few creatures have more than one DOT, this ends up being a less than steller damage reduction over the course of the battle. We feel increasing the effect to 50% should help aquatic pets benefit more from their passive.Critters: Immune to CC completely
Critters currently reduce the duration of crowd control effects by one round, which makes fast critters significantly more powerful. We'd like critters of all speeds to benefit equally from their passive, so we're considering making them immune to crowd control effects completely. This would include stuns, roots, and other incapacitating effects.Magic: Cannot be dealt more than 35% of total health in one move (down from 40%)
Magic-type creatures currently cannot take more than 40% of their maximum health as damage when struck. When balance changes were made to reduce the damage of some very heavy-hitting abilities, this passive was indirectly nerfed. We're thinking if we buff the effect to 35% of maximum health, that should compensate for previous adjustments.
Again, everything is subject to further adjustments, but our ultimate goal is to bring all passives up to the power level of some of the current favorites, such as Undead.

Tatra
Pet Score:4589
Realm:Hellscream-us

Re: Changes comming to Pet Racials (Updated 23th April)

Post by Tatra » April 23rd, 2013, 3:55 pm

so instead of a semi cool pet trait they are going to nuke the crap outta elementals making them oh ya useless for there pet family ability. good going blizzard screwing with the game again because people qq so much about it on the battle.net forums sigh.

Luciandk

Post by Luciandk » April 23rd, 2013, 5:10 pm

So many elementals have sunlight and sandstorm. When you use them, you get the feeling of debuffing yourself and buffing the enemy. Not very intuitive.

Formerruling
Pet Score:6226
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Formerruling » April 23rd, 2013, 6:14 pm

Tatra wrote:so instead of a semi cool pet trait they are going to nuke the crap outta elementals making them oh ya useless for there pet family ability. good going blizzard screwing with the game again because people qq so much about it on the battle.net forums sigh.
-50% damage on the swap in turn is very powerful, and doesn't screw you over more than it helps you. : \

Tatra

Post by Tatra » April 24th, 2013, 2:53 am

not really at least with not being effected by weather you could do some fun things now all its going to be is swap pet. honestly makes this family worthless to even play anymore

Luciandk

Post by Luciandk » April 24th, 2013, 3:50 am

Tatra, I dont think you are seeing the posibilities. See an enemy pet winding up a burrow? Swap in an elemental to reduce it to a normal hit in strenght.

Kagalii
Top Rater
Pet Score:10513
BattleTag®:Mikadochan#1520
Realm:The Venture Co-us

Post by Kagalii » April 24th, 2013, 6:59 am

Luciandk wrote:Tatra, I dont think you are seeing the posibilities. See an enemy pet winding up a burrow? Swap in an elemental to reduce it to a normal hit in strenght.
Yeah, looks like you could come up with some save-the-day strats with this, making elementals great soakers for hard-hitting pets with like burrow/fly up/wind up etc.

Formerruling
Pet Score:6226
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Formerruling » April 24th, 2013, 8:15 am

Tatra wrote:not really at least with not being effected by weather you could do some fun things now all its going to be is swap pet. honestly makes this family worthless to even play anymore
Honestly its the opposite for many people - it makes elementals actually playable. I guess it depends on how you were using them.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » April 24th, 2013, 12:54 pm

Critters currently reduce the duration of crowd control effects by one round, which makes fast critters significantly more powerful. We'd like critters of all speeds to benefit equally from their passive...

Again, everything is subject to further adjustments, but our ultimate goal is to bring all passives up to the power level of some of the current favorites, such as Undead.
I think this is a little bit odd. It's definitely true that critters benefit more from their passive depending on their speed, but the same can be said for Undead. Slow UD effectively get 2 free attacks after they die, while fast UD get 1, which is why the passive is so strong especially for slow UD. And they even called out the UD passive as being the type they'd like other passives to aspire to, so I can't imagine they're unaware of how it works. So I wonder why they want one passive to benefit from speed, but not the other?

Also, regarding Elementals: 50% damage reduction upon swapping is indeed a terrible passive, but they only threw that out as an idea, and I'm sure it will get iterated on and replaced/improved.

Tatra

Post by Tatra » April 24th, 2013, 4:39 pm

Luciandk wrote:Tatra, I dont think you are seeing the posibilities. See an enemy pet winding up a burrow? Swap in an elemental to reduce it to a normal hit in strenght.
honestly if i am worried about burrow or a whole bunch of other attacks i can use other abilities on pets that i battle with. switching pets losing a turn is not really a good thing as well as this racial is not a good thing.

Exel
Pet Score:2852
Realm:Auchindoun-eu

Post by Exel » April 24th, 2013, 4:45 pm

Glad to see yet again they take pet battle very seriously, elemental racial was very situational and limited, aquatic racial change is very appropriate.

Luciandk

Post by Luciandk » April 24th, 2013, 6:46 pm

As I see it, having a survival racial allows you more leeway in planning your abilities and not having to sacrifice an ability slot in your team.

Kayfabe
Pet Score:2197
Realm:Arathor-us

Post by Kayfabe » April 25th, 2013, 12:26 am

I'm all for the new Elemental. This'll make Lil' Ragnaros a little better off for me than he is now.