Share pet collecting news and advice.
Dakender
MVP
Pet Score:9654
BattleTag®:Dakender#1566
Realm:Madoran-us
Re: PTR - Unborn Val'kyr

Post by Dakender » May 13th, 2013, 5:06 pm

Chrth wrote: What if the various events we've looked at (Val'kyr attack in AT, rare spawn, etc.) failed to spawn a Val'kyr because one was up already somewhere?
I like that thinking :) that very well could be, I just got done doing some more surfing and a guy is claiming to have seen/captured one in Sholazar Basin, I am setting up even as we speak to go camp that area too :) heheh, now I have the wife's ptr account up and running it two times watching things :) hehehe

EDIT:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO: Server shut down:
11:00
10:00
09:00....................

Dakender
MVP

Post by Dakender » May 13th, 2013, 5:15 pm

Now it's got me wondering what is meant by "IN THE NORTH" North of the zone, which I was considering Icecrown and Storm Peaks, or NORTH part of Azeroth ? Which is NORTHREND...... That would make it much more difficult.... :(

Chrth
Pet Score:5078
BattleTag®:Chrth#1939
Realm:Nesingwary-us

Post by Chrth » May 13th, 2013, 5:34 pm

One more thought about spawn locations:
Hrothgar's Landing I believe the game treats as a separate zone from Icecrown. If it's not already being staked out, we may want to look there too.
Quick and Dirty Primer to Raiding With Leashes II:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4129

Chess Event Strategy/Discussion:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4168

Paulodemoc
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Paulodemoc » May 13th, 2013, 8:42 pm

I was just wondering, about the pet description... what if we use that staff, Nibelung, to summon a Valkyr and vanquish a creature of high nobility (northrend rare?) to trigger the spawn of the pet on that zone? Anyone tried that or something of the sorts?

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » May 13th, 2013, 9:39 pm

Chrth wrote:What if there are two conditions? What if the spawn is determined by two things:
One, there has to be no Val'kyr currently up
Two, <event> causes one to spawn

What if the various events we've looked at (Val'kyr attack in AT, rare spawn, etc.) failed to spawn a Val'kyr because one was up already somewhere?
I have my doubts, but it's possible. The only reason I'm not entirely convinced is because that seems a somewhat complicated spawn mechanic for a wild pet. I mean, if you consider the other conditionals (weather, time of day, seasons), that's a giant step towards making it very specific/difficult.

But it's worth testing out. The problem now is that we don't know of multiple confirmed spawn points to check. >_<
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Dakender
MVP

Post by Dakender » May 14th, 2013, 5:08 pm

Quintessence wrote:But it's worth testing out. The problem now is that we don't know of multiple confirmed spawn points to check. >_<
Will try to make it a bit "TAMER" on us all :) will edit the original post, first message with info on sitings, hopefully everyone who plays the PTR and has seen/caught/watched/etc/etc can help fill in some info here. I'll get it started, will take a bit, no coords program working on ptr that I have up at the moment, so don't know exact location.

Datgrl
Pet Score:6732
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Datgrl » May 15th, 2013, 5:45 am

Hi there - I'm pretty much a lurker but I do like to collect pets. The Unborn Val'kyr is a puzzle! As I understand it, there are 3 things about this pet that are conditions (for lack of a better description): 1-"Val'kyr are considered "unborn" until they vanquish a creature of high nobility"; 2- it's a realm event that causes the spawn; 3- they are only found in the Northrend tundra.

Val'kyr are under the dominion of the Lich King and Sylvannas in WoW lore. So, could the spawn be tied to groups doing Wrath raids like Ulduar or Tournament of Champions? Or possibly someone battling Sylvanna's in UC? Or someone completing the Shadowmourne quest? If it is tied to any of these, it would truly make them very rare.

So, I dunno. Wild speculation on my part.

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » May 15th, 2013, 10:05 am

Datgrl wrote:1-"Val'kyr are considered "unborn" until they vanquish a creature of high nobility".
Mumper has mentioned that the description in the Pet Journal is not related to how the Unborn Val'kyr spawns. Would be nice if the description gave a hint as to what triggers the spawn, though. >_<
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Jadax
Top Rater
Pet Score:9808
BattleTag®:Sunscorch#2259
Realm:Malygos-us

Post by Jadax » May 15th, 2013, 10:24 am

Paulodemoc wrote:I was just wondering, about the pet description... what if we use that staff, Nibelung, to summon a Valkyr and vanquish a creature of high nobility (northrend rare?) to trigger the spawn of the pet on that zone? Anyone tried that or something of the sorts?
Player action does not cause the Val'Kyr to spawn.

Yalina
MVP
Pet Score:3448
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Yalina » May 15th, 2013, 11:40 am

Is the only verified spawn point so far at the base of Icecrown Citadel where the High Thane rare can occasionally be found?

Waveryn
Pet Score:13627

Post by Waveryn » May 15th, 2013, 12:07 pm

Dakender wrote: have the wife's ptr account up and running it two times watching things :) hehehe
What PTR are you using, I had pandara and tried it and it seems no longer active and even re downloaded and this one has different realms than I had before and one says active so I transfered a toon and it said success but still can not log on. It likes spins at logging into server forever.
Wave

Paulodemoc
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Paulodemoc » May 15th, 2013, 12:10 pm

It was confirmed that it has nothing to do with players killing bosses or finishing raids
@mumper /status/334716159259709440

Dakender
MVP

Post by Dakender » May 15th, 2013, 4:24 pm

Waveryn wrote: What PTR are you using, I had pandara and tried it and it seems no longer active and even re downloaded and this one has different realms than I had before and one says active so I transfered a toon and it said success but still can not log on. It likes spins at logging into server forever.
I only know of one PTR, just downloaded the link in the battle.net area of my account and it works :) It should have 5 servers.

Anasterian (US) Normal
Nobundo (KR) Normal
Brill (EU) Normal
Naralex (EU) PVP
Broxigar (US) PVP

http://dist.blizzard.com/downloads/wow- ... p-enUS.exe

Dakender
MVP

Post by Dakender » May 15th, 2013, 4:30 pm

Woot Woot, FINALLY, found another spawn point.... Sholazar Basin. She is up RIGHT NOW :)

4:30pm CDT (Missouri)
Anasterian (US) server

Jadax
Top Rater
Pet Score:9808
BattleTag®:Sunscorch#2259
Realm:Malygos-us

Post by Jadax » May 15th, 2013, 4:53 pm

Paulodemoc wrote:It was confirmed that it has nothing to do with players killing bosses or finishing raids
@mumper /status/334716159259709440
Really, that was already confirmed...

Dakender
MVP

Post by Dakender » May 15th, 2013, 5:45 pm

3 new pictures of the new spawn point.

Taming

Wild

Map

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » May 15th, 2013, 7:59 pm

Saw this comment on Wowhead and decided to look into it.

Comparing both Dakender's map screenshots of locations where the Unborn Val'kyr was found, and spawn points for rares in Northrend, I've found two possible matches so far.

The one in Icecrown is near High Thane Jorfus' spawn area, and the one in Scholazar is near Loque'nahak's.

Even if they are not specifically related to rare spawns, perhaps they share the same spawn point as them. Maybe on the same/similar timer too? Rotation between rare spawn and pet?

Dakender
MVP

Post by Dakender » May 15th, 2013, 8:06 pm

Another thing to think about, at no time when an Unborn Val'kyr was up was a RARE up in the zone. I didn't kill or tame the one I found today, instead, I flew the zone to see if any rares were up.. none, there was only one other person in the zone, an ally hunter, but he was camping way down south.. another thing, this is the second time that by the time I got back to where it had spawned, it was gone.... I'm still thinking it is timed spawn... despawns after so long, next one I see that is the test I will try. Sit there and wait.. watching.... working on premades to campe more spots ;) heheh, have one at each of those 2 spots now on all 5 servers....

Dakender
MVP

Post by Dakender » May 15th, 2013, 8:14 pm

Quintessence wrote:Even if they are not specifically related to rare spawns, perhaps they share the same spawn point as them. Maybe on the same/similar timer too? Rotation between rare spawn and pet?
Was thinking the same thing, there is too much SPACE in Northrend that they could have spawned at, what's the odds of both the only 2 we have confirmed being both at a RARE spawn/pathing area..... The spawn of the Val'kyr where Loque'nahak is, is actually smack dab in the middle of the circle made by npcscan. The one in Icecrown is with in the colorded area of that one according to npcscan too.

Yalina
MVP
Pet Score:3448
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Yalina » May 15th, 2013, 8:25 pm

Having gotten the Frostbitten achievement, but never the Time Lost Proto Drake, the idea of the Unborn Val'kyr sharing the spawn timers of the Northrend rares has me shuddering in horror.

There's 23 rares in the Frostbitten achievement, plus the spirit beasts Gondria, Skoll and Arcturis that are considered rares but not part of the achievement, and the Time Lost Proto Drake. I spent an absurd amount of time circling Sholazar Basin to tame Loque, and a large portion of the Wrath expansion tracking down the rest of those rares. There's a few that are supposed to be up at every server reset, like Griegen. However, there's reports that the old spawn timer info for the TLPD and Vyragosa has gone wacky since Mists and no one can really predict when either will spawn now.

Dakender, didn't you say you had alts stashed at Vigdis the War Maiden and Syreian the Bonecarver?