Share pet collecting news and advice.
Dakender
MVP
Pet Score:9654
BattleTag®:Dakender#1566
Realm:Madoran-us
Re: PTR - Unborn Val'kyr

Post by Dakender » May 7th, 2013, 4:28 pm

LOL, his reply was still very vague..... "Players have no effect other than capturing or killing what they find." ? ? ?

So, now what I have done , and will do is just camp my little mage at the last spot I found one and wait for the "CONDITIONS" heheheh... Will keep an eye out for, "Shouts" and other funny business that goes on in the zone. Back to the drawing board..

Dakender
MVP

Post by Dakender » May 7th, 2013, 4:43 pm

Quintessence wrote:For the specifically spawned pets, at least there was a hint. Winter for the Snowy Owl, Rain for the Baby Ape, and so on. For this one all we have to go on is "it's a new spawning mechanic" which could mean anything. >_<
Well, it could still be sort of the same.... "Realm-Based Condition" could be something like that... What weather events happen up north? Trying to remember the grind up there and what all was going on, what was the weather like, who yelled stuff in the zone, did the ground shake, etc etc....

Should have also maybe wrote down realm/local times, was it day or was it night ? heheh, I can't remember..

Casca
Top Rater
Pet Score:5184
BattleTag®:Chiba#2767
Realm:Outland-eu

Post by Casca » May 8th, 2013, 4:50 pm

Maybe it's connected to the lunar phases, e.g. it only spawns during a full moon?

Yalina
MVP
Pet Score:3448
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Yalina » May 8th, 2013, 5:37 pm

Dakender wrote:LOL, his reply was still very vague..... "Players have no effect other than capturing or killing what they find." ? ? ?

So, now what I have done , and will do is just camp my little mage at the last spot I found one and wait for the "CONDITIONS" heheheh... Will keep an eye out for, "Shouts" and other funny business that goes on in the zone. Back to the drawing board..
Based on what I remember of Icecrown, most of the yells are based on something a player did, usually like finishing a quest chain. And I don't remember Icecrown having nearly the number of zone wide yells that Shadowmoon Valley did. Someone's always yelling in Shadowmoon.

Dakender
MVP

Post by Dakender » May 10th, 2013, 7:32 pm

Hmm, well here I am, setting here camping her and POW, there she is... But NOTHING on the screen as if anything happened.. Just don't now... But she is there now.

7:30pm CST (Missouri) Anasterian (US) server. There x2
7:30pm CST (Missouri) Nobundo (KR) server. There x2
7:30pm CST (Missouri) Brill (EU). There
7:30pm CST (Missouri) Broxigar (US). There
7:30pm CST (Missouri) Naralex (EU). NOT There

OK, tried first two servers 2 times and was still there, by the time I got to the last server Naralex, she was gone, logged back on the Anasterian and Nobundo and she was not there... so, since I didn't see anyone around, and no one answered in /trade or /local she must now DESPAWN too?

Dash
BattleTag®:mab#2803

Post by Dash » May 11th, 2013, 3:45 pm

Hi everyone, quick thought since I see you all reviewing Valkyr related stuff : there's a mini-event with Valkyrs at the tournament thing from time to time (sort of like the Thrall / Garrosh / Wrynn mini-event that also takes place sometimes).

I have no clue other than that, and don't have much time to go on the PTR, so... yeah :)

Dakender
MVP

Post by Dakender » May 11th, 2013, 5:07 pm

Dash wrote:Hi everyone, quick thought since I see you all reviewing Valkyr related stuff : there's a mini-event with Valkyrs at the tournament thing from time to time (sort of like the Thrall / Garrosh / Wrynn mini-event that also takes place sometimes).

I have no clue other than that, and don't have much time to go on the PTR, so... yeah :)

Hey, anything is worth a try at this point :) will look into it, camp one up there and watch for event, then log off and back on the one camping the Val'kyr.....

Dakender
MVP

Post by Dakender » May 11th, 2013, 5:41 pm

guess I got lucky on timing ;) Ported in and flew up there and was sitting by the two Val'kyr in chains when this started.

Not sure if that is the one you were talking about or not... When they flew off I followed them to the south till the despawned, then flew on down to the west side of the citadel to see if she was up, she wasn't, then flew around the zone for a bit, didn't see anything , but you never know.....

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » May 11th, 2013, 7:34 pm

According to Perculia's Tweet, the Val'kyr invasion at the Tournament Grounds doesn't seem to affect the spawning of the Unborn Val'kyr.

It would have been pretty neat if the invasion is what triggered it, though.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Dash
BattleTag®:mab#2803

Post by Dash » May 11th, 2013, 8:32 pm

Quintessence wrote:According to Perculia's Tweet, the Val'kyr invasion at the Tournament Grounds doesn't seem to affect the spawning of the Unborn Val'kyr.

It would have been pretty neat if the invasion is what triggered it, though.
Oh, I didn't know of this tweet.
That's what I was thinking too, tiny angry valkyrs on a mission to destroy nearby critters in preparation for the Trial of the Crusader twins was cute ^^

Myrrmi
Pet Score:2466
Realm:The Maelstrom-eu

Post by Myrrmi » May 12th, 2013, 5:10 pm

Somehow, the thought of Hildana, the rare valkyr spawn from Icecrown ( http://www.wowhead.com/npc=32495 ) tickles my senses here. Hildana has black wings. The pet is "unborn" and has white wings. Maybe she's Hildana's missing "counterpart"? Maybe they spawn together?
And it would fit the tweet: "...other than capturing or killing whatever they find" (like killing an existing rare mob spawn to make a new spawning of the valkyr rare possible)

I'm not on PTR, but could anyone possibly check if Hildana's spawns are related to UV spawns?

Dakender
MVP

Post by Dakender » May 12th, 2013, 6:51 pm

Myrrmi wrote:Somehow, the thought of Hildana, the rare valkyr spawn from Icecrown ( http://www.wowhead.com/npc=32495 ) tickles my senses here. Hildana has black wings. The pet is "unborn" and has white wings. Maybe she's Hildana's missing "counterpart"? Maybe they spawn together?
And it would fit the tweet: "...other than capturing or killing whatever they find" (like killing an existing rare mob spawn to make a new spawning of the valkyr rare possible) I'm not on PTR, but could anyone possibly check if Hildana's spawns are related to UV spawns?
Awesome thoughts there, very nice.

OK, Hildana Deathstealer has graciously given up her life 2 times so far for me to test this... Nothing at the body... First time I killed her I didn't loot at all , let it despawn, and nothing in the area, next time I did loot and still nothing in the area... Next is to kill her then log on other toons camped at the spawn points where I have seen the UV.

Sammelff
Top Rater
Pet Score:2964
Realm:Whisperwind-us

Post by Sammelff » May 12th, 2013, 9:09 pm

Could they be tied to a wintergrasp battles beginning or ending? That's kinda northren wide.

Myrrmi
Pet Score:2466
Realm:The Maelstrom-eu

Post by Myrrmi » May 13th, 2013, 1:36 am

@Dakender
Yes, but the place where the pet has been reported to be seen (at the foot of ICC) is quite a bit away from Hildana's spawnpoints. Maybe they spawn at the same time, but in those two locations, far away from each other.

Jadax
Top Rater
Pet Score:9808
BattleTag®:Sunscorch#2259
Realm:Malygos-us

Post by Jadax » May 13th, 2013, 1:07 pm

To be honest, it's not entirely implausible that the previous spawn points were just artifacts of the previous implementation.
There's no guarantee that the Val'Kyr will continue to spawn in those places, now that the actual mechanic is in place.

Chrth
Pet Score:5078
BattleTag®:Chrth#1939
Realm:Nesingwary-us

Post by Chrth » May 13th, 2013, 2:28 pm

So wait ...

"Players have no effect other than capturing or killing what they find."

can be read as

"Players capturing or killing an Unborn Val'kyr have an effect on spawning."

Is it possible there's always just one up? And once somebody has captured/killed one, it respawns at a different spot?
Quick and Dirty Primer to Raiding With Leashes II:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4129

Chess Event Strategy/Discussion:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4168

Honathina
Pet Score:3552
Realm:Tarren Mill-eu

Post by Honathina » May 13th, 2013, 3:46 pm

Gosh i hope not, 1 up and we are several servers in a zone at the same time, it would be near impossible to get this pet, and i thought the scourge whelp was a myth ;/

Dakender
MVP

Post by Dakender » May 13th, 2013, 4:22 pm

Jadax wrote:To be honest, it's not entirely implausible that the previous spawn points were just artifacts of the previous implementation.
There's no guarantee that the Val'Kyr will continue to spawn in those places, now that the actual mechanic is in place.
Well, where I have found and captured them is the "ONLY" place I have seen them lately and that was as of last night, which the mechanics should be in place. The original first place I saw one, over in the snow, east of the Citadel, since that day which was months ago, I have never seen one since..... Willing to try about anything, have toons on every server and in LOTS of locations around the zones up "NORTH".

Dakender
MVP

Post by Dakender » May 13th, 2013, 4:30 pm

Chrth wrote:So wait ...

can be read as

Is it possible there's always just one up? And once somebody has captured/killed one, it respawns at a different spot?
I don't think so, I have over 20 toons in the north and when I find one up I log through them all to see if any other spots have one up, Then usually always return to the original toon who found her and she's still there. NEVER seen more than ONE up at a time, and 90% of the time NONE are up. Pretty sure I'm not missing any if they are up in the area, have all sorts of macro's / npc scan etch going and it does alert me when I find one.. most the time if I am flying in to the main location, I can target her before my graphics even show the paw on the screen.

What would help would be more people :) I know there is a few sec between log out and log on... I could be missing something.. maybe set a day to camp/hut her, test theories ? I have both "Warcraftpets (Horde)" and "Allies of Warcraftpets (Alliance)" guilds up and running on Anasterian (US) server if anyone wants to help or be in the guild.

Chrth
Pet Score:5078
BattleTag®:Chrth#1939
Realm:Nesingwary-us

Post by Chrth » May 13th, 2013, 4:45 pm

Dakender wrote:
Chrth wrote:So wait ...

can be read as

I don't think so, I have over 20 toons in the north and when I find one up I log through them all to see if any other spots have one up, Then usually always return to the original toon who found her and she's still there. NEVER seen more than ONE up at a time, and 90% of the time NONE are up. Pretty sure I'm not missing any if they are up in the area, have all sorts of macro's / npc scan etch going and it does alert me when I find one.. most the time if I am flying in to the main location, I can target her before my graphics even show the paw on the screen.

What would help would be more people :) I know there is a few sec between log out and log on... I could be missing something.. maybe set a day to camp/hut her, test theories ? I have both "Warcraftpets (Horde)" and "Allies of Warcraftpets (Alliance)" guilds up and running on Anasterian (US) server if anyone wants to help or be in the guild.
Ok, so wait:

1) You've never seen more than 1 up at a time. That actually lends "evidence" to my suggestion that players killing/capturing impact spawn as only one may be up at a time
2) The issue then becomes there are sometimes none up, which would argue against player capture/kill impacting spawn (ignoring the possibility that the times you've noticed none up someone had momentarily tamed one, because that seems unlikely to occur every single time) ... but

What if there are two conditions? What if the spawn is determined by two things:
One, there has to be no Val'kyr currently up
Two, <event> causes one to spawn

What if the various events we've looked at (Val'kyr attack in AT, rare spawn, etc.) failed to spawn a Val'kyr because one was up already somewhere?
Quick and Dirty Primer to Raiding With Leashes II:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4129

Chess Event Strategy/Discussion:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4168