Terrible Turnip bugged??

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Waflob
Pet Score:4117
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu
Terrible Turnip bugged??

Post by Waflob » April 15th, 2013, 2:25 am

Anyone else had this?
I was looking for a rare Lofty Libram and found one after about 1 hour or so. To my complete bewilderment, I watched my Terrible Turnip's Weakening Blow actually KILL the mob.

I made a ticket and when it was finally answered, I was told to use lower level pets, if I wanted to capture some. This completely misses the point, that Weakening Blow CANNOT reduce the target's health below 1.

grrrr ....

Gendou
Pet Score:4413
BattleTag®:Gendou#1955
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Re: Terrible Turnip bugged??

Post by Gendou » April 15th, 2013, 2:44 am

You didn't have a DoT on the Lofty Libram, did you? Like Leech Seed?
ImageImage

Waflob

Post by Waflob » April 15th, 2013, 2:52 am

Nope, but a good thought.
A bit more detail:

I was also levelling a lowbie and had a team of lowbie, spider and turnip (spider and turnip are lvl 25). Lowbie would open and then I would swap in the spider to sort out the rest. This was the standard for less than rare librams and after a while, I replaced the lowbie when the exp was getting low.

When the rare appeared, I used 1 normal (non-dot) attack from the lowbie and then swapped the turnip in. Not too sure on the numbers now, but after the first weakening blow, the libram had about 130-140 life left and the 2nd outright killed it.

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » April 15th, 2013, 2:58 am

The only times my Terrible Turnip's weakening blow has ever killed a pet was when one of the following was also true:

1) I had a DOT on the pet
2) There was some weather condition active (such as Scorched Earth or Lightning) that caused additional damage
3) The pet had some ability (such as Stone Rush) that caused it to take damage when it used it

While weakening blow cannot in and of itself kill a pet, if it is combined with some other damage source, the pet will die.

Edit: Ok, after reading your second post, I am going to have to do some experimenting to see if I can duplicate your experience.

Edit #2: Ok, I took a team to the Dalaran Crater. I found 2 Rats and 1 Lofty Libram. I engaged each with my team. The first rat went from full health to one hit point in one blow (I skipped using my lowbie pet against that one). I was unable to do any more damage with that ability. After trying a few rounds, I hit it with leach seed and killed it. The Lofty Libram, I also started out not using my lowbie pet. Since they are magic, it took 3 hits to bring it to 1 health. After a few rounds, hitting it with weakening blow, I forfeited the match and re-engaged it, this time I had my lowbie hit it first. I had the same result. Since it was a common and I already have a rare, I finally killed it with leach seed. The battle with the second rat went much the same way as the first had.

Question: Exactly what pet were you leading with and what specific ability did it use?

Catalytic
Pet Score:4337
BattleTag®:Lyrics#1788
Realm:Greymane-us

Post by Catalytic » April 15th, 2013, 4:21 am

Waflob wrote:Anyone else had this?
I was looking for a rare Lofty Libram and found one after about 1 hour or so. To my complete bewilderment, I watched my Terrible Turnip's Weakening Blow actually KILL the mob.

I made a ticket and when it was finally answered, I was told to use lower level pets, if I wanted to capture some. This completely misses the point, that Weakening Blow CANNOT reduce the target's health below 1.

grrrr ....
The exact same thing happened to me...rare Lofty Libram, Weakening Blow killed it. I posted about it here : http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1807&p=13002#p13002

*Edited to add* I do not use Leech Seed as an ability when I am farming for a pet, I use Inspiring Song. When my turnip's weakening blow killed the Libram, I had not used Sunlight, and when I saw the Libram was rare, I didn't even attack it with my lowbie, I switched immediately to the Turnip. Weakening Blow DID kill a rare Lofty Libram, despite the tooltip saying it can't. It is the ONLY time I have ever had that happen, and had I not been in such a rush to relog, I would have taken an SS of the log to see why it died. Please don't discount what the OP is saying, because it has happened before, as you can see by the date on my post I linked above.

Jumi
Pet Score:2302
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Jumi » April 15th, 2013, 5:42 am

This may just be another instance of Lofty Libram trolling players. ;)

Waflob

Post by Waflob » April 15th, 2013, 6:05 am

@Maizing:
Thanks for taking the time to experinment with this - iirc, my lowbie pet was a a hatchling of some sort, using Bite, which is a non-dot ability.

@Catalytic:
Like youself, when using Terrible Turnip to capture, I have Inspiring Song active, just in case I mis-click/mis-type. Also kinda strange that the same thing happened to you - same pet as well.

@Jumi:
I think you might have nailed it :-)

I did make a screenshot (of sorts), which I'll try to post later.

edit: screenshot - not sure how useful it is
Attachments
killshot.JPG
killshot.JPG (17.13KiB)Viewed 6990 times

Catalytic

Post by Catalytic » April 16th, 2013, 8:47 am

Waflob wrote:@Maizing:
Thanks for taking the time to experinment with this - iirc, my lowbie pet was a a hatchling of some sort, using Bite, which is a non-dot ability.

@Catalytic:
Like youself, when using Terrible Turnip to capture, I have Inspiring Song active, just in case I mis-click/mis-type. Also kinda strange that the same thing happened to you - same pet as well.

@Jumi:
I think you might have nailed it :-)

I did make a screenshot (of sorts), which I'll try to post later.

edit: screenshot - not sure how useful it is
Screenie pretty much proves it was WB that killed it. If there had been a DoT that killed it, it would have been listed as damage during that round...

Warlock
Top Rater
Pet Score:4667
Realm:Bloodhoof-us

Post by Warlock » April 16th, 2013, 2:49 pm

Lofty Libram is a magic pet, hence "cannot be taken below 50% of max hp in one attack.". Rounding error? As in, ignoring the 1hp effect of WB, you would have dealt more than 50% of the libram's life. So the game rounded the damage to something that still killed it, and this somehow superceded the weakening blow effect?

Just a hypothesis. Could prob be tested with Arcane Eyes (similar wild level I think)

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » April 16th, 2013, 4:27 pm

Warlock wrote:Lofty Libram is a magic pet, hence "cannot be taken below 50% of max hp in one attack.". Rounding error? As in, ignoring the 1hp effect of WB, you would have dealt more than 50% of the libram's life. So the game rounded the damage to something that still killed it, and this somehow superceded the weakening blow effect?

Just a hypothesis. Could prob be tested with Arcane Eyes (similar wild level I think)
I think that might be it, and it seems like this bug has been around for a while (I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed yet). During early PBs, my Terrible Turnip decided to go and kill a rare Jade Oozeling I was attempting to capture. Thankfully back then there was that relog trick to reset the fight, heh.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Waflob

Post by Waflob » April 18th, 2013, 2:41 am

Warlock wrote:Lofty Libram is a magic pet, hence "cannot be taken below 50% of max hp in one attack.". Rounding error? As in, ignoring the 1hp effect of WB, you would have dealt more than 50% of the libram's life. So the game rounded the damage to something that still killed it, and this somehow superceded the weakening blow effect?
This is an interesting theory - is it possible to give a numerical example, to show what you mean?

Also, I finally managed to snag a rare, using a lowbie pet to gently tickle it down and then capture.

Cropher
MVP
Pet Score:7153
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by Cropher » April 18th, 2013, 7:21 am

Say the Libram has 428 health total, and 107 left; a turnip hits it with a WB for what should be 268 points raw damage, which gets adjusted to 214 (50% of its life), then applied (without checking for the "not below one"). So the Libram dies. Although I think it's been changed to 40% now, but the example still holds.

Warlock
Top Rater
Pet Score:4667
Realm:Bloodhoof-us

Post by Warlock » April 18th, 2013, 1:48 pm

Yeah, my thought was that it probably performs the damage reduction (to 1hp) first, then the magic pet effect for some reason calculates off the initial damage and overrides the previous change. It makes sense the 1hp calc would be done first since weakening blow is still ruined by dots that always tick after. And the magic effect probably goes last so it knows how much damage to block.

Example using nice round numbers (and if the magic thing was nerfed to 40% I'm just going to ignore that for this example). Libram has 500 hp and first attack knocks it down to 250hp. Weakening Blow normally does 300 damage but this is adjusted to 249 so it doesn't die. Then magic effect kicks in and says "the attack was for 300 damage so adjust it to 250 damage" (half of max hp), which overrides the 249 calc and kills libram.

Waflob

Post by Waflob » April 19th, 2013, 1:53 am

I tried this in cases where it seemed to work and when the libram was on 1 hp, my damage was just a series of zeros.
I'm wondering if there's some sort of "sweet spot" (or should that be "sour spot"? :lol:) where something odd happens - thinking of boundary conditions or similar.

Kring
Pet Score:6755
BattleTag®:scrufola#2941
Realm:Kargath-eu

Post by Kring » May 19th, 2013, 7:00 pm

I had the same problem yesterday. My turnip killed the blue libram with weakening blow. There was no dot involved. Weather effect was sunny day.

The current patch is 5.2, which means that magic pets cannot get more damage then 40% of their hp per hit.

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » May 20th, 2013, 12:43 am

Has this ever happened on a pet that was not of the Magic Family?

Looks like I need to do more experiments.

Edit: A thought occurred to me... what level is your Terrible Turnip? What other pets did you have on your team and what are their levels? I am going to try as close as I can to duplicate your team.

Kring
Pet Score:6755
BattleTag®:scrufola#2941
Realm:Kargath-eu

Post by Kring » May 20th, 2013, 8:21 am

Maizing wrote:Has this ever happened on a pet that was not of the Magic Family?
  • It only happened once to me and it was this libram.
  • I successfully tamed a grey or white libram the battle right before I killed the blue one.
  • The sunny day was not active for the gray one.
  • The sunny day was active for the blue one.
A friend of mine killed another blue pet the same day. I'll have to check if she remembers if it was a magic pet or not. I think it was a bug or spider.
Maizing wrote:Edit: A thought occurred to me... what level is your Terrible Turnip? What other pets did you have on your team and what are their levels? I am going to try as close as I can to duplicate your team.
  • The turnip is 25.
  • I don't remember what I used for taming that day but it was most likely a level appropriate pet as first pet for the XP which got one hit, the turnip and most likely the celestial dragon or the emperor crab as third because they are unkillable even if the trap misses about 97 times in a row (which happens about every other pet I try to tame).
  • The libram was definitely killed by the blow and not at the end of a turn by a dot or something.
  • Unfortunately I don't remember if the turnip critted or not.
Edit: FWIW, I play on a European realm.

Catalytic

Post by Catalytic » May 20th, 2013, 8:48 am

I play on a US realm. Probably was using a level 25 rare Cat, Turnip was 25, some level appropriate lowbie, but as soon as I see a rare, I switch to Turnip and don't hit with the lowbie.

Weakening Blow was the ONLY spell used during the fight. No clue about whether it crit or not. I was fortunate, as mine happened right before the change to not being able to reset fights, so I did the faster relog ever (thank you SSDs!) and I did capture it.

And Lofty Libram is the only pet this has ever happened with.