Patch 5.3: New Pets on the Way

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Exel
Pet Score:2852
Realm:Auchindoun-eu
Re: Patch 5.3: New Pets on the Way

Post by Exel » March 25th, 2013, 5:04 pm

Doobjanka wrote:My guesses which raid bosses will drop the new 5.3 Raiding With Leashes pets
Lil’ Bad Wolf – Opera Event
Menagerie Custodian – The Curator
Netherspace Abyssal - Prince Melchazar
Fiendish Imp – Terestian Illhoof
Tideskipper – Morogrim Tidewalker
Tainted Waveling – Hydross the Unstable
Coilfang Stalker – Lady Vashj
Pocket Reaver – Void Reaver
Lesser Voidcaller – Lady Solarius
Phoenix Hawk Hatchling – Al’ar
Spot-on! Glad to see they take pet battles seriously and that they add a bunch of new pets every patch. Enjoyed venturing in the old raids for Raiding With Leashes, will enjoy this even more.

What do you guys think new phoenix would look like?

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » March 25th, 2013, 5:11 pm

Probably like the phoenix mount/Al'ar/the phoenixes in Kael's fight. The current phoenix hatchling doesn't actually resemble those other than being a fire bird. It could also look like the fire hawks in Firelands, but I think something similar to the TK ones is more likely.

Also, I think it might come from Kael'thas himself like the mount, and not Al'ar. Think some of the early patch changes were geared towards making Kael easier to solo, so it would make sense if one of the pets was from him.

Post by Guest » March 25th, 2013, 7:47 pm

Phoenix Hawks are actually Dragonhawks, sadly. http://www.wowhead.com/npc=20039/phoenix-hawk

Amethice
Top Rater
Pet Score:12952
BattleTag®:Uncia#2791
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Amethice » March 25th, 2013, 8:03 pm

Wamo wrote:Phoenix Hawks are actually Dragonhawks, sadly.
Let's hope the pet isn't though, since we already have what, four or five dragonhawk pets? Would be kind of weak to just get another one... we already have red and gold ones.

Epicleptic
Top Rater
Pet Score:10816
BattleTag®:Epicleptic#2421
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Post by Epicleptic » March 25th, 2013, 8:36 pm

Wamo wrote:Phoenix Hawks are actually Dragonhawks, sadly.
Amethice wrote:Let's hope the pet isn't though, since we already have what, four or five dragonhawk pets? Would be kind of weak to just get another one... we already have red and gold ones.
Personally I'd prefer another Dragonhawk Hatchling, regardless of if it was rehashing an old skin, than another Phoenix. I like to see some diversity in their skill sets, so hopefully that's what it could offer! :)

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » March 25th, 2013, 9:59 pm

Let's hope there is some uncommon quality elementals so we can finally use our stones! 8-)

Quil2
Pet Score:3642
Realm:Doomhammer-us

Post by Quil2 » March 25th, 2013, 10:58 pm

Any news on if they'll up the 650 limit in the pet journal? I'm already running really close, and only keep duplicate pets if they're different useful breeds or if they're different unique colors.

Tajit
Pet Score:4703
Realm:Cenarion Circle-us

Post by Tajit » March 25th, 2013, 11:45 pm

I guess I can't post links without having used the forum more, but screenshotted the new pets in the journal. fillerdps on twitter.

Filthling from Quivering Filth on Isle of Thunder, Gahz'rooki costs some new currency from a vendor in Durotar I haven't found yet, Living Fluid and Viscous Fluid are both from Primordius in Throne of Thunder - the Viscous specifies it's from the Heroic fight.

Nomadking
Top Rater
Pet Score:13512
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Nomadking » March 26th, 2013, 2:35 am

Looks like a good list so far, I just hope there's some new models in there and not just a bunch of recolours!

I also hope they add a 2nd set of TBC pets some time in the future to cover Gruul, Magtheridon, Hyjal, Black Temple and Sunwell - some really great bosses in there, and thus some really great potential pets! :)

Gendou
Pet Score:4413
BattleTag®:Gendou#1955
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Gendou » March 26th, 2013, 3:52 am

Tajit wrote:Living Fluid and Viscous Fluid are both from Primordius in Throne of Thunder - the Viscous specifies it's from the Heroic fight.
What? :cry:
ImageImage

Waveryn
Pet Score:13678
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Waveryn » March 26th, 2013, 5:47 am

I hope they make all this soloable, having to ask for help past patchwerk in Nax sucked and some classes had problems with Globule and AQ twins.
Love the Valk, hate the Unborn name, how stupid(gross too), something unborn cannot wonder freely around Northrend.
Wave

Syrrie
MVP
Pet Score:6201
BattleTag®:Syrrie#1506
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Syrrie » March 26th, 2013, 6:23 am

Tajit wrote:Living Fluid and Viscous Fluid are both from Primordius in Throne of Thunder - the Viscous specifies it's from the Heroic fight.
If this is true it's an extremely unwelcome development, in my not so humble opinion. Pets should not be gated from collectors behind normal or heroic current tier raiding, especially not heroic.
Image Image

Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896

Post by Gromagrim » March 26th, 2013, 6:35 am

Waveryn wrote:I hope they make all this soloable, having to ask for help past patchwerk in Nax sucked and some classes had problems with Globule and AQ twins.
Naxx was the level 80 version remember, and they made both visc and twins less complicated to solo.

They've already annouced tweaks for fathom lord, void reaver, solarian's trash and Vashj to remove some of the difficulty soloing the relevant content.

Exel
Pet Score:2852
Realm:Auchindoun-eu

Post by Exel » March 26th, 2013, 6:45 am

As long as the boss doesn't have mechanics that make it theoretically impossible to solo it's fine.

No harm in making a little effort or thinking up a good strategy.

Gendou
Pet Score:4413
BattleTag®:Gendou#1955
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Gendou » March 26th, 2013, 7:18 am

Syrrie wrote:If this is true it's an extremely unwelcome development, in my not so humble opinion. Pets should not be gated from collectors behind normal or heroic current tier raiding, especially not heroic.
Agreed. The only exception I can think of are the guild-accessible pets.
ImageImage

Gromagrim

Post by Gromagrim » March 26th, 2013, 8:34 am

There's always the AH

Ishildur
Pet Score:4812
Realm:Uldum-us

Post by Ishildur » March 26th, 2013, 9:23 am

If the heroic raid is accurate that's kind of awful. I don't mind mounts and titles being tied to heroic raiding, there's a long history of that... but pets have traditionally not required quite that hardcore a playstyle to get and have been more for fun than the bragging rights of 'yeah, I killed that raidboss on heroic when it was relevant and got that mount/title'. I dislike it because well, pet collecting has always been more about persistence and luck - sort of like fishing, and sometimes involving fishing - than high end raid PvE capabilities. Also the precedence it sets opens up future possibilities I doubt many of us would like, such as will we now have pets for top 5% arena contestants as well?

The thought of this being true leaves a bad taste in my mouth, heroic raid pets - bah! Only way I'd see myself (and most avid pet collectors) getting those in this expansion is through buying on the AH... assuming people who think heroic raid pets are a good idea wouldn't also make them not be tradable that is...

Syrrie
MVP
Pet Score:6201
BattleTag®:Syrrie#1506
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Syrrie » March 26th, 2013, 9:31 am

Gromagrim wrote:There's always the AH
That doesn't excuse the alarming trend in putting pets in non-trival raids. One of the things I always liked about pet collecting was that it was something I didn't have to raid to do. (And I've been a relatively serious raider before.) It's upsetting to me that Blizz is apparently changing this philosophy of pet collecting. I have no problem with putting pets in *old* raids, since those are mostly solo-able or trivial with a couple friends. I was mostly ok with the current three pets from Throne of Thunder because they drop from LFR as well, and though LFR is painful now it'll get easier as time goes on. Something like a heroic raid boss, though, could take into the next expansion for the majority of people to be able to farm it. And I'm not very happy about the price gouging that will occur until then.
Image Image

Gromagrim

Post by Gromagrim » March 26th, 2013, 10:40 am

It's one pet that's clearly intended as an experiment to see the collective response - so let them know you're unhappy.

I suspect it'll start as a heroic-only pet then by the next major patch it'll be available from any difficulty.

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » March 26th, 2013, 11:38 am

Forgot Al'ar's trash were phoenix hawks. Makes sense now. Kael all ready had the mount so he didn't really need a pet too.

Somewhat disappointed about the exclusivity of the heroic only pet, but its cool that they are filling out ToT a bit more with pets. Gives at least some reason to keep doing it outside of VP once you run out of gear drops.