Just For Fun, Are There Any Pets You Hate To Level?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Enmity
Pet Score:3181
Realm:Tanaris-us
Just For Fun, Are There Any Pets You Hate To Level?

Post by Enmity » March 24th, 2013, 9:20 am

I was looking at some peoples pet scores, and a lot are amazing compared to my paltry few i do have, but when i look at my journal, there are some i just cant face leveling, for instance several of the critters ie the bunnies, skunks, turkeys, chickens, then the beasts spiders, snakes, some beetles etc, then it dawned on me, maybe it is their either cuteness, or the creepiness, not sure, but some i just don't want to level, i love leveling my in my mind the cool pets, though i forced myself to level necessary pets needed to do what battles i needed to get the bosses killed off, but for pure fun i try leveling the pets that i like a lot , and while looking for info and tabbing back and forth, this question hit me, so was wondering what pets others like me cant seem to bring themselves to level? LET THE LIST AND REASONING BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Gendou
Pet Score:4413
BattleTag®:Gendou#1955
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Re: Just For Fun, Are There Any Pets You Hate To Level?

Post by Gendou » March 24th, 2013, 9:26 am

I tend to focus on the useful, the unique and the Just Plain Cool™ when choosing what to level.

At this point in my battling career (160 L25 pets) I have most of the useful ones leveled.
So now most of my time is spent on the handful of cool new pets that come out with each patch. :mrgreen:

If I had to choose what I dislike leveling, I guess it would be the more mundane pets.
Squirrels, cats, rabbits, moths, snakes, roaches and the like.
Unless they have a clear superiority or are useful in some way, those tend to sit near the bottom of my list the longest.
ImageImage

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » March 24th, 2013, 9:33 am

While leveling my priest, I try to use a pet with heals & shield and a pet strong against whatever I'm fighting. Throw in a pet 4-5 levels higher for insurance. Against critters a pet with devour breezes through them while I hunt rares.

Pets with multiple strengths are nice too. Fledging nether ray comes to mind.

I don't care for pets I have to constantly bandage. I usually end up leveling them via tamers.

Opallena
Top Rater
Pet Score:13227
BattleTag®:Opallena#1359
Realm:Nazjatar-us

Post by Opallena » March 24th, 2013, 10:53 am

I tend to focus on Unique and Cool pets, as well as pets with nice abilities. I hate leveling pets that we have tons of, like snakes and rabbits. If I know a pet will be useful in a battle vs. a certain tamer or family, I level that pet specifically (like the Darkmoon Tonk when I heard of the Fluxfire Feline's nerf)

Gwenolyn
MVP
Pet Score:5462
BattleTag®:Gwenolyn#1245
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Gwenolyn » March 24th, 2013, 11:22 am

So tired of frogs and roaches... but trying to get them all to 25, so I have a lot of those to go through.

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13538
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » March 24th, 2013, 6:03 pm

I also went for the cool and unique pets first (all the ones that were my favourites before pet battling basically). Some have turned out okay to fight with, others really not so much. :roll:

I did level a load of the wild pets of level 22-23 though, just to get me to the 75 pet achieve, but now I'm back to leveling my favourites again :D

I'm not big on the pvp battles, its more having as many pets as poss, eventually all rare, and eventually all lvl 25 that I'm interested in so that does give a little more freedom to level what I like, regardless of stats etc.
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Ishildur
Pet Score:4812
Realm:Uldum-us

Post by Ishildur » March 24th, 2013, 8:49 pm

Same here, it's a psychological thing for me absolutely... "oh, another type of rabbit, how dull" vs "oooh, darkmoon rabbit, yeah that's getting leveled today for sure!!!". So not only do I favor things like dragons and humanoids over the gazillion generic sounding animals, but also within those mostly generic species I favour ones that are hard or expensive to find.

Now anything that turns out to have a really awesome ability that would help me immediately gets to jump the leveling queue. Useful > cool/rareish > generic/common. There just isn't anything terribly exciting about leveling yet another snake with yet another same exact set of snake abilities as the last 4 snakes.

Livingdeath
Top Rater
Pet Score:3525
BattleTag®:Doctor#1657
Realm:Lightninghoof-us

Post by Livingdeath » March 24th, 2013, 8:56 pm

I've pretty much been leveling / stoning anything of interest to me. The ridiculous number of cats, roaches, rats is a bit annoying and I have been avoiding them like the plague. I think if they were at least skinned differently or had different skills from each other to make them more unique it would appeal to me more. Like all those beetles & moths at least look different, so I don't mind leveling them as much.

In fact for some reason, I really love leveling moths. They can be very OP in some fights.

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » March 24th, 2013, 9:56 pm

Livingdeath wrote: In fact for some reason, I really love leveling moths. They can be very OP in some fights.
I gotta agree with this. If you've never leveled a moth... Do it. I have a bunch up at 25, but my favorite is my P/P yellow moth. I just upgraded my imperial moth too, and plan on leveling it since i think it looks cool.

Threnody
Pet Score:3078
Realm:Dragonblight-us

Post by Threnody » March 25th, 2013, 12:14 am

Snakes and roaches, eww.

And frogs. Though I did level a couple of frogs for battling before I got my water striders. I was even tempted to level my Horny Toad just so I can make use of the frog ability set without having to look at a frog while I battle :D

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13538
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » March 25th, 2013, 3:11 am

Tahsfenz wrote:
Livingdeath wrote: In fact for some reason, I really love leveling moths. They can be very OP in some fights.
I gotta agree with this. If you've never leveled a moth... Do it. I have a bunch up at 25, but my favorite is my P/P yellow moth. I just upgraded my imperial moth too, and plan on leveling it since i think it looks cool.
Yup totally agree with this too, my Oasis Moth is a little superstar. Until I leveled him I'd been using Firefly/Glowfly types as my flying pets of choice but since my moth hit 25 he's been very busy! :lol:
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Boomshak
Pet Score:6245
Realm:Tarren Mill-eu

Post by Boomshak » March 25th, 2013, 6:42 am

Anything from the Undead section.
They don't do any damage plus get kicked in a second.
Pretty useless against everything in the entire game.

Cropher
MVP
Pet Score:7153
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by Cropher » March 25th, 2013, 6:50 am

Undead, just because there are SOOOO many critters running around. Once you get them over 20 or so it's usually easy enough to finish, but getting them there is a pain.

Pocketimp
Top Rater
Pet Score:5016
BattleTag®:Pocketimp#1179
Realm:Lightbringer-us

Post by Pocketimp » March 25th, 2013, 9:57 am

I have to second that. I hate leveling undead.

Stabya
Pet Score:2086
Realm:Undermine-us

Post by Stabya » March 25th, 2013, 11:01 am

I guess it depends on how many existing level 25 pets you have.

To me, Levelling a pet means an investment of about 90 min tops, using a few lowbies in the capital city, then about 6-7 tamers

Yalina
MVP
Pet Score:3448
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Yalina » March 25th, 2013, 12:02 pm

I have no desire to level any of the numerous snakes, beetles or roaches. I leveled the Elder Python because he was new, but that's probably going to be it for the time being.

I enjoy leveling the cats, since a, I've named the majority of them making it not "leveling another cat" but "leveling Skimbleshanks" (which gets me singing his song), and b, they at least can heal themselves back up.

In general, if I don't feel that the pet adds anything, or has anything unique about him, I'll leave him be. It also depends largely on what I'm currently farming. I'm trying to finish off all my wild pets as rare, so the random guys come out if they're in the right range. While farming for a rare H/S Turqouise Turtle, a rare Harpy Youngling, and a rare Frog, I ended up leveling a ton of level 1 rares to around level 6, regardless of how interesting I thought they were, as most of the interesting ones were already past level 6.

Threnody
Pet Score:3078
Realm:Dragonblight-us

Post by Threnody » March 25th, 2013, 7:55 pm

Cropher wrote:Undead, just because there are SOOOO many critters running around. Once you get them over 20 or so it's usually easy enough to finish, but getting them there is a pain.
Please don't hate my Spirit Crab. He's awesome :) Especially against Aki the Chosen.

Yalina
MVP
Pet Score:3448
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Yalina » March 26th, 2013, 3:19 pm

[quote="Threnody] Please don't hate my Spirit Crab. He's awesome :) Especially against Aki the Chosen.[/quote]

Who do you use him for on Aki?

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » March 26th, 2013, 3:50 pm

Yalina wrote:[quote="Threnody] Please don't hate my Spirit Crab. He's awesome :) Especially against Aki the Chosen.
Who do you use him for on Aki?[/quote][/quote]

Was wondering that. I just use Anubisath Idol for Aki - he can easily solo her first two pets, and put a dent into the third.

When it comes to levelling, I'm the same as most on here, in that unique or cool pets definitely get priority over the generic snakes, rabbits, etc.

As for moths, I agree that they are actually pretty good for battling, but I personally think that 16 species which look identical and are completely the same except for breed and colouration, is a bit excessive. Only the Imperial moth has a slightly different move-list.

Tatra
Pet Score:4589
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Tatra » March 26th, 2013, 3:52 pm

at the moment i hate anything that looks like a raccoon. yah i know they are cute but when you go out and see a duck that you raised from a baby, taught it everything dead do to a raccoon you tend to hate the things. i might level them as the last pet i do but who knows i might just get rid of them from my journal