What Battles Stones to use and when to use them?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Ollof
Pet Score:1431
Realm:Mannoroth-us
What Battles Stones to use and when to use them?

Post by Ollof » February 20th, 2013, 2:49 am

This is my first post. First let me say that this site is great. I have been a creeper here since I started playing WoW (again) back in December. I like the Pet Battle system; to be honest it has kept me from doing the other things I normally did in the game. Anyhow I am going off topic. I have looked but been unable to find a guide for

“What to use your Battle Stones On” Does guide to when you should use a Flawless over a type exist ??

If someone could lead me to the post so that I might drink up all of its knowledge, that would be great. I have used a Flawless on a grey P/P Minifernal that I tamed. I assume that was a good decision. Thank you in advance for the assistance.

Spyro
Pet Score:3317
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Re: What Battles Stones to use and when to use them?

Post by Spyro » February 20th, 2013, 7:34 am

Ollof wrote: I have used a Flawless on a grey P/P Minifernal that I tamed. I assume that was a good decision.
I usually say not to use any stone on wild pets but considering how hard it is to get any Minfernal, and that they do not intend to change that, upgrading a minfernal is not a bad idea. I got a magic stone recently and upgraded my white minfernal.

Laraven
Pet Score:7886
BattleTag®:LaRaven#1620
Realm:Korgath-us

Post by Laraven » February 20th, 2013, 9:22 am

I also was going to use a stone on my uncommon minfernal, but 10 seconds ago I logged on my alt, and caught a rare minfernal!!! I think it's worth camping if for a few weeks before using a stone.

Ollof

Post by Ollof » February 20th, 2013, 10:31 am

Laraven wrote: <snip> it's worth camping if for a few weeks before using a stone.
I did camp him, on 3 diff servers in 3 diff CRZs.

Ysabell
Pet Score:3028
Realm:Kilrogg-us

Post by Ysabell » February 20th, 2013, 10:43 am

I didn't stone any wild capturable pets until I had a couple left to have wild pets at 100% rare. Crow and Wanderer's Festival Hatchling were the ones I ended up stoning.

Gendou
Pet Score:4413
BattleTag®:Gendou#1955
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Gendou » February 20th, 2013, 11:50 am

I have stoned a Minfernal, a Flayer Youngling, a Scourged Whelpling and a Wanderer's Hatchling.
I also seriously considered stoning a Wildhammer Gryphon Hatchling simply because of how long it took to find a 4/14.

Other than that, I came by my wild rares the hard way.
ImageImage

Formerruling
Pet Score:6226
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Formerruling » February 20th, 2013, 1:09 pm

Theres never a time to use a flawless over a type specific stone - sale the flawless. Also minfernal was a nice choice, after that and maybe scourged whelpling id move to stoning great pets that just dont come in rare form like the Jade Owl, yellow moth, mech dragon, etc

Morlis
MVP
Pet Score:13720
BattleTag®:Morlis#1799
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Morlis » February 20th, 2013, 2:22 pm

I did not hesitate to upgrade Minfernal and Scourged Whelpling and would do it again. They are just a serious pain to get and to get them rare I can't imagine wasting all those pets that others could have (others do not hesitate). On a side note my Minfernal is named P I T A (Pain In The A**) I wanted P.I.T.A. but the period is an illegal character. :P

Otherwise I go to my non wild pets first for upgrades since they can't be obtained in rare without someone using a stone. I have upgraded maybe about 15 to date.

Morlis
  • Morlis Alliance Kael'Thus 60 Shadow Priest (main account)
  • Morlis Horde Madoran 60 Beast Master Hunter (main account)
  • Altuno Horde Madoran 60 Vengeance Demon Hunter (main account)
  • Vandì Horde Madoran 60 Arcane Mage (alt account)

Ollof

Post by Ollof » February 20th, 2013, 3:02 pm

Morlis wrote:<snip>
Otherwise I go to my non wild pets first for upgrades since they can't be obtained in rare without someone using a stone. I have upgraded maybe about 15 to date.

Morlis
Ok is there a list of those pets that dont come in rare?

Gwenolyn
MVP
Pet Score:5462
BattleTag®:Gwenolyn#1245
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Gwenolyn » February 20th, 2013, 3:36 pm

You can tell from the pet journal. Wild pets will all say a zone and be "pet battle" pets under the "how to obtain" (or whatever) filter. All those are in available in the wild in rare. The ones that come only uncommon will say in the journal where to buy it, the acheive etc. so, in general, those are good to upgrade. Not sure there is a comprehensive list, because the pet journal can do it for you: (Filter out battle pets. Then filter out rares because some non-battle pets only come rare, like Blizz store/TCG/DM pets etc. Voila.) Hope this helps, and I hope I didn't leave anything out :o

Ollof

Post by Ollof » February 20th, 2013, 5:57 pm

Thanks

Stabya
Pet Score:2086
Realm:Undermine-us

Post by Stabya » February 21st, 2013, 10:55 am

I got a beast stone today. Since I already upgraded the feline familiar, I think im gonna wait and use it on the new Raptor pets for 5.2

Lazy? yes, but with the new forfeit rules I just want to breeze through the new pet content

Yalina
MVP
Pet Score:3448

Post by Yalina » February 22nd, 2013, 11:47 am

The optimal strategy for battle stones is use them on pets that can't be rare elsewhere, and use them on pets that have unique sets of abilities. If you get a beast stone, don't stone your Bombay Cat first because there are lot of cats that have the same set of abilities, and a good number of them are available as rare. Instead, use that beast stone on the Feline Familiar, because nothing else has the same set of moves as he does. Stone things like the endless raptors and cats near the end, when you're finishing up.

If you want a list of uncommon only without being in game, I know wowhead has lists in the comments section for each specific family stone of what pets in that family can only be found as uncommon. People also have listed which pets are the recommended first to stone (like the Feline Familiar I name above) for each of the families.

All that said, stone the pets you want to use. I stoned my Infinite Whelpling because I was using him for everything and it made things easier once he was rare. My very first stone was on my Mulgore Hatchling because he's one of my favorite pets. Is he the best critter out there? Of course not. Are there better things to use my critter stones on? Probably. Do I care? No. :)

I've used my battle stones on more wild pets than is probably wise, because it means I'll just need more to finish off the pets that can't be rare without a stone. I stoned my Minfernal and Scourged Whelpling, but I also stoned things like the Giraffe Calf and Sporeling Sprout. There are some pets that I just didn't want to constantly farm.

Contesa
Pet Score:3999
Realm:Earthen Ring-us

Post by Contesa » February 22nd, 2013, 1:13 pm

Yalina wrote:I've used my battle stones on more wild pets than is probably wise, because it means I'll just need more to finish off the pets that can't be rare without a stone. I stoned my Minfernal and Scourged Whelpling, but I also stoned things like the Giraffe Calf and Sporeling Sprout. There are some pets that I just didn't want to constantly farm.
Sporeling Sprout is actually a really good example because he comes in all ten breed IDs. If you just want a rare one to have a rare one, then having the patience to farm one isn't that terribly bad. But if you want a rare of a specific breed, that can take an incredibly long time to farm and might well be worth a stone to you.

About the pets that only come in uncommon so you have to use stones to upgrade them, some of them are cageable so you don't necessarily have to use your own stones to upgrade them. So all other things being equal (which they never are), if you have a mechanical stone you might want to prioritize a Warbot or Mechanical Chicken (which cannot be traded) vs Mechanical Squirrel or Lifelike Toad.

Then again, I've used stones on Mr. Wiggles and Speedy because I think they're adorable. So I might not necessarily be the best example ever :oops:

Yalina
MVP
Pet Score:3448

Post by Yalina » February 22nd, 2013, 1:38 pm

Contesa wrote:Then again, I've used stones on Mr. Wiggles and Speedy because I think they're adorable. So I might not necessarily be the best example ever :oops:
Mr. Wiggles is actually a good pet to stone, because he's the only pig available to US servers and the only one with the Uncanny Luck ability. Speedy, on the other hand, is just another turtle with the same moves as all the wild turtles, so the "optimal" thing to do would be use an aquatic stone on a different pet first and upgrade him later.

Of course, no one would accuse me of doing things the optimal way. *hides upgraded Bombay Cat AND Calico Cat*

That's a good point about prioritizing uncommon only non tradeable pets over uncommon only and tradeable. I hadn't considered that. A mechanical stone would be better used on a Mechanical Chicken than on a Mechanical Squirrel, because you can use someone else's stone for the squirrel but only your own for the chicken.