Question about Pet Genders

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Whatisit
Pet Score:543
Realm:Stormscale-eu
Question about Pet Genders

Post by Whatisit » February 17th, 2023, 5:21 pm

hi, i'm new here.

So I've noticed that everybody's(?) Fox Kit is male, mine included. Have you ever found a female Fox Kit? Is there any way to know in which pet species genders are not occuring randomly?

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13928
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Re: Question about Pet Genders

Post by Quintessence » February 17th, 2023, 7:00 pm

IIRC, genders for battle pets was a scrapped idea that was likely tied to breeding (also an idea that never made it into the game).

Pets are still given genders, but with no real meaning or purpose behind the assignment. How each pet is determined is anyone's guess, and I wish there was some kind of logic behind it, such as "if a battle pet is X, it can only be this gender" but there doesn't seem to be a consistent pattern.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Whatisit
Pet Score:543
Realm:Stormscale-eu

Re: Question about Pet Genders

Post by Whatisit » February 17th, 2023, 7:56 pm

Quintessence wrote:
February 17th, 2023, 7:00 pm
IIRC, genders for battle pets was a scrapped idea that was likely tied to breeding (also an idea that never made it into the game).

Pets are still given genders, but with no real meaning or purpose behind the assignment. How each pet is determined is anyone's guess, and I wish there was some kind of logic behind it, such as "if a battle pet is X, it can only be this gender" but there doesn't seem to be a consistent pattern.
Even if there is no apparent use, I think it helps with immersion in the game. If only it was random for each pet.😅