Is there 2 different kinds of Dragon Kite pet? New one from Twitch is not cageable

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Whatever
Pet Score:12150
Realm:Emerald Dream-us
Is there 2 different kinds of Dragon Kite pet? New one from Twitch is not cageable

Post by Whatever » November 16th, 2022, 6:08 pm

The one I've had for years, way back when one could still get it cheap, can be caged. The new one I got from Twitch is not cageable.
This is the one I've had for years, from TCG

The new one I got today. No "put in cage" and no "release"

Both Dragon's Kite pets shows up in my collection on this site and both shows cageable: yes

Any idea what's up with this?

Ranok
MVP
Pet Score:13640
Realm:Stormrage-us

Re: Is there 2 different kinds of Dragon Kite pet? New one from Twitch is not cageable

Post by Ranok » November 16th, 2022, 8:01 pm

Guessing this is Blizzard's way of not shafting the EBay card sellers and the WoW folks with the 200K+ AH listings.

I'd actually felt a little guilty about screwing over the guy that bought mine from AH, having listed my old one in anticipation of price crashing over next few days.

And yeah, the Twitch reward one is not cageable. But I still have a Dragon Kite.

Whatever
Pet Score:12150
Realm:Emerald Dream-us

Re: Is there 2 different kinds of Dragon Kite pet? New one from Twitch is not cageable

Post by Whatever » November 17th, 2022, 12:03 am

Would this mean Warcraftpets.com need to make a variation listing: cageable version and non-cageable version? Or is there a way to tell them apart via internet? Since Wow client can tell them apart?

Uka
Top Rater
Pet Score:13936
Realm:Borean Tundra-eu

Post by Uka » November 17th, 2022, 12:45 am

I think they are of different colors as well!
It is strange that they are technically one pet, not two...

Lodreh
Top Rater
Pet Score:12912
Realm:Baelgun-us

Post by Lodreh » November 17th, 2022, 8:59 am

As far as the color thing... I'm pretty sure the original changes color every time you summon it.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13928
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » November 17th, 2022, 11:59 am

I'm going to have to talk it over with Breanni and our web developer to figure out the best way to show both the original Dragon Kite, and this newer Twitch Drop version.

At the very least, we'll be adding to the Dragon Kite's Notes section that it was offered as a special Twitch promotion but unlike the original, the Twitch version wasn't cageable.

(Also, both versions are color-changers - it can spawn in one of 3(?) possible colors when summoned!)
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Uka
Top Rater
Pet Score:13936
Realm:Borean Tundra-eu

Post by Uka » November 17th, 2022, 11:25 pm

Lodreh wrote:
November 17th, 2022, 8:59 am
As far as the color thing... I'm pretty sure the original changes color every time you summon it.
Quintessence wrote:
November 17th, 2022, 11:59 am
(Also, both versions are color-changers - it can spawn in one of 3(?) possible colors when summoned!)
Ah, you are right! I meant the color in the pet journal, not when summoned - but it is indeed random there as well.

Still, it could well be a temporary bug on Blizzard side - one and the same pet could not be both cageable and non-cageable, and so they should either make the 2nd Dragon Kite cageable or make it a different pet from the 1st one :) The 1st solution sounds more probable to me...

Emmawatson
Pet Score:4486
Realm:Anetheron-us

Post by Emmawatson » July 23rd, 2023, 10:40 pm

Uka wrote:
November 17th, 2022, 11:25 pm
Lodreh wrote:
November 17th, 2022, 8:59 am
Quintessence wrote:
November 17th, 2022, 11:59 am
Ah, you are right! I meant the color in the pet journal, not when summoned - but it is indeed random there as well.

Still, it could well be a temporary bug on Blizzard side - one and the same pet could not be both cageable and non-cageable, and so they should either make the 2nd Dragon Kite cageable or make it a different pet from the 1st one :) The 1st solution sounds more probable to me...
Is this temporary bug solved??
Last edited by Emmawatson on July 25th, 2023, 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ranok
MVP
Pet Score:13640
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Ranok » July 24th, 2023, 12:35 am

It's not a bug, same thing happened with the new Trading Post pet Spectral Tiger Cub. Original (and pricey on AH) pet was from Trading Cards, is tradeable and you could have up to 3 in your Pet Journal. Trading Post version is NON tradeable, can't sell it, and you're limited to just 1. But otherwise the two versions seem to be identical.