Is there any advantage/reason to not level certain pets?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Morggie
Pet Score:1523
Realm:Proudmoore-us
Is there any advantage/reason to not level certain pets?

Post by Morggie » July 12th, 2021, 12:51 pm

I was recently thinking about going on a leveling/collecting binge and remembered some "advice" I had read about not leveling certain pets. The general idea was some pet battles are much easier to win with a level 1 team, especially against some legendary pets, as they won't have access to their stronger abilities. This would be for PvE only.

This feels a little like cheesing the system, but I also don't have a massive collection and am not completely opposed to the idea as I am building out my collection.

So that being said, is this still (or was it ever) valid advice? If so are there any particular pets that are best to keep at level one?

Thanks!

Wezmerelda
MVP
Pet Score:13904
Realm:Durotan-us

Re: Is there any advantage/reason to not level certain pets?

Post by Wezmerelda » July 13th, 2021, 7:22 am

Gosh, the only reasons I can fathom for not leveling a pet would be if I knew I wanted to give the pet to someone who didn't have any level 25 pets yet, and - uniquely - there's one level 22 pet I have that had been polymorphed when I captured it, so it permanently summons as a flying turtle. I don't wanna mess with it! :)

Every fight I've come across can be downed with available pets at level 25. There are tons of strats out there.

Others may have some reasons I'm not thinking about though, just wanted to throw out my $0.02.

Voskres
Top Rater
Pet Score:10910
BattleTag®:Vosk#1999
Realm:Cenarion Circle-us

Post by Voskres » July 13th, 2021, 12:42 pm

I would say no, unless it is your pref, but that is a great example!

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » July 13th, 2021, 9:15 pm

IF you have very limited level 25s and your aim is to earn Charms from BfA and Shadowlands WQ, there is value in using Level 1a to cheese those battles for charms.

However, it's a VERY limited strategy. BfA and SL quests give little XP, but it doesn't take much XP to level from 1 to 2, so they won't stay level 1 for long. Further, if going the level 1 route for BfA and SL, you won't need specific pets to take down the battles, so you can just keep bringing new level 1s in. Just aim to choose Lebel 1s with type counters, so that the damage you take is weak and the damage you deal is strong.

I'd say focus on getting pets levelled that you can use to cheese the battles at 25, even if they're not ideal. I showed that all BfA battles except one can be done with Ikky, a Starlette and an Anklerender. Rosqo did a similar job for Shadowlands with a Starlette, a Microbot xD and a Stormborne Whelpling. I'd focus on getting a set of pets to 25 that can earn these Charms, so you don't have to keep trying different Level 1s,

Also focus on pets for Legion tamers and Squirt, for levelling sessions. https://www.wow-petguide.com/Guide/44/P ... ling_Guide

I definitely wouldn't make a long-term plan to keep doing battles with Level 1s. That stage will last a few weeks at most.

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » July 13th, 2021, 9:16 pm

Wezmerelda wrote:
July 13th, 2021, 7:22 am
there's one level 22 pet I have that had been polymorphed when I captured it, so it permanently summons as a flying turtle. I don't wanna mess with it! :)
I have a few of those. I levelled and Blued them as normal, with no ill effects.