Need help - Never collected before

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Clee3917
Need help - Never collected before

Post by Clee3917 » December 28th, 2012, 4:40 pm

I used to play WoW a few years ago (4-5, when Lich King came out) and started back up. I saw that some people had pet companions, people other than Hunters. I would like to know how I (a Warrior) can get one. I don't want to buy one from the AH, becuase I'm not spending anywhere between 5G and up for a pet.

I tried looking through various forums, but I can't seem to find anythng that tells me how to even get my first one. i don't know if i want to do the Pet Battles yet. I just know I'd like to try and get just one companion pet.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. :-)

Bonhomous
Pet Score:2167
Realm:Maiev-us

Re: Need help - Never collected before

Post by Bonhomous » December 28th, 2012, 5:11 pm

Just to clarify, these are not pets like hunters have. These will not help you battle. These are vanity pets, and the only battling they do is against other vanity pets, either wild ones or ones that other players have in a pet pvp battle.

Ask the guards in either Stormwind or Orgrimmar where the pet battle trainer is. They'll mark it on your map for you. Also, check your pet tab, it grouped with mounts, the access button has a horse's head at the bottom, from memory I would say it's to the right of the guild button and to the left of the logout button.

Almost everyone should have at least one pet available, either from logging in during a wow aniversiary or something. Oh!, if you don't, then talking to the battle trainer, she'll give you one that is class specific. From there it's just a matter of expanding your collection and increasing your pets lvl. When you battle a wild pet, and you get him to something like 20% health, you'll have to option to throw a cage at him, when this lands eventually, you'll have captured your new pet and added him to your collection.

There are a ton of guides out there, hell, this website has a very nice one. Let me link it.
[url]http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pet-battles/[/url]

Read that, that's what I read to get started.

Syrrie
MVP
Pet Score:6201
BattleTag®:Syrrie#1506
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Syrrie » December 28th, 2012, 5:13 pm

I'd recommend browsing this:[url]http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pet-battles/[/url]

That said, if you just want to try out a vendor pet first to see what it's like the various starter zones/capital cities have vendors that sell pets for a few silver each. (Horde side are Orgrimmar for snakes, Thunderbluff for a prairie dog, Eversong Woods for dragon hawks, Undercity for a cockroach. Alliance side are Elwynn Forest for cats, Dun Morogh for a rabbit, Exodar for moths, Teldrassil for owls. You can also get a couple parrots in Booty Bay.)

You can also go to a pet battle trainer to learn your race specific pet. (Like worgen get a Gilnean Raven) (For instance, there's Audrey Burnhep in Stormwind or Varzok in Orgrimmar)

If you like pets, pet battling is a pretty much cost-free way of collecting a lot of pets, some with really cool unique looks.
Image Image

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Lysi » December 30th, 2012, 3:23 pm

The info for collecting every pet is on the main warcraftpets site, that's why it isn't in the forum. Just look up any pet, and it will tell you how to get it--vendor, drop, quest reward, wild pet battle, acheivement reward, etc. You can browse pets by source or any number of ways, here is an alphabetically list to get you started -

http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/index/

I don't pet battle, and I have 200 pets. The top collectors that do pet battle and really get into it can have over 500 pets. If you don't pet battle, the main reason to get into it is just to have an attractive little buddy following you around in the game.
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

Xandrolar
Pet Score:2844
Realm:Hellfire-eu

Post by Xandrolar » December 31st, 2012, 1:35 pm

However you need to remember that in order to capture wild pets you must first learn the Ability from one of the pet trainers.

But with the exception of store bought pets and TCG pets, all of the pets you see on the Auction House are available in game. Some through farming, others as rewards. If you've seen a particular pet you like then try to get the name of it and then search it up on here and that will tell you how to get hold of it.

Mlak
Top Rater
Pet Score:3328
Realm:Draenor-us

Post by Mlak » December 31st, 2012, 2:32 pm

So, I have a question... where is everyone finding these "Pet IDs" (like ID 5, or ID 8) I keep hearing about? Is it an add-on or is it something I'm not seeing? Was browsing around, but haven't seen anything.

Xandrolar
Pet Score:2844
Realm:Hellfire-eu

Post by Xandrolar » December 31st, 2012, 2:59 pm

Pet ID's are basically something that helps you figure out the rarity/attack power/defence of the pet you are currently battling. Usually you need either a macro or an add on to see this. But as I am a collector I usually just capture them regardless of rarity. I have a team of pets I battle with and have from start. They've not let me down yet.

Also with the introduction of Battle-Stones that allow you to instantly turn a pet into a rare type the ID system will not matter over much as the values when using a battle stone will change anyway

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » January 1st, 2013, 1:56 am

Mlak wrote:So, I have a question... where is everyone finding these "Pet IDs" (like ID 5, or ID 8) I keep hearing about? Is it an add-on or is it something I'm not seeing? Was browsing around, but haven't seen anything.
There are a few addons, although I'm not sure which one works the best.

Or you can use WarcraftPets to check your pet's breed. Under the Battle tab on each pet's profile, there's a stat calculator that you can play around with. Choose the quality, level, and then find the matching stats to your pet. The breed ID will be listed on the lower right. Additionally, you can use this website to view your own collection.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Plucky
Pet Score:2757
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Post by Plucky » January 1st, 2013, 4:22 am

The addition of Pet Battles has trivialized having a large collection....sure having over 150 pets a few months ago was great, now it seems a bit thin, not that there is anything wrong with a vast number of pets....just that they seem pretty generic considering that there are over 10 types of Rats....

As for collecting, start off small, buy things like cats and such, know what pets are readily available to your faction; something like a Snake might be 5g just because of buying from Horde and selling it in the AH, theres also quests and such....the gold spent towards Pet Battle Training pays for itself with the amount of pets you can amass from the Wild, plus there is also daily quests you can do after beating certain masters that would provide a few sellable vendor trash (or rarely a Porcupette)

And word of advice for achievement-seeking; achievements that requires players to either own the Learn Item or having the Pet actually Learnt may possibly not count if you're using Caged versions, like achievements such as Veteran Nanny, it also extends to Feats of Strength too.