Upgrade to rare

Share pet collecting news and advice.
FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu
Upgrade to rare

Post by FuxieDK » October 12th, 2018, 1:16 am

In a fit of insanity, I have stoned some wild pets, thus "wasting" the stones..
With the extreme amount of none-rare vendor/IE pets, battle stones are much sought after... The only problem, to date, there have been one or two WQs that yielded battle stones... Tons and tons of training stones, but (almost) never battle stones..

And since I spent 2000+ pre launch on level 25 stones, how the %{#{^{^ do I get all the annoying pets upgraded? It cannot be expected that I go back to previous expansions to get stones, can it?

Anyone else with the same issue?

Harpooha
MVP
Pet Score:12996
Realm:Aggramar-us

Re: Upgrade to rare

Post by Harpooha » October 12th, 2018, 5:11 am

There were a couple this pat week. Although one was in a miserable place for me to go to so I skipped it.

Two things you should do. Keep doing Crysa and Environeer Bert. Even if you don't get the unmarked stone, you may end up with the right family or you could get 3 of a kind. I just list those because they are easy. But it would work for any that you can park an alt at.

You should also take a peek at the Broken Isles from time to time. Madam Vicosia had a WQ up for a Flawless stone and I was able to get one on 8 alts. Kind of a long shot, but worth keeping in mind.

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » October 12th, 2018, 6:09 am

Hop in your DeLorean and go back to stop yourself from spending the charms on leveling stones instead of rarity stones. :P

I’ve never felt they are difficult to get though. Check the Legion WQs. Can do the Mists tamers too. I get stones from those bags fairly frequently.

Eventually as we go deeper into BFA polished charms will be easier to acquire and it won’t feel as much of a setback to use them for stones as well.

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » October 12th, 2018, 12:53 pm

FuxieDK wrote:In a fit of insanity, I have stoned some wild pets, thus "wasting" the stones..
With the extreme amount of none-rare vendor/IE pets, battle stones are much sought after... The only problem, to date, there have been one or two WQs that yielded battle stones... Tons and tons of training stones, but (almost) never battle stones..

And since I spent 2000+ pre launch on level 25 stones, how the %{#{^{^ do I get all the annoying pets upgraded? It cannot be expected that I go back to previous expansions to get stones, can it?

Anyone else with the same issue?

I have plenty of these stones because I level alts mainly thru pet battles. just plop an alt you aren't in a rush to level in front of the old battle tamers. it levels the toon, it levels your pets and it gets you plenty of stones.

Emarka
Pet Score:11024
Realm:Bronzebeard-us

Post by Emarka » October 12th, 2018, 1:05 pm

Alts are an excellent way to generate a ton of charms and stones every time a WQ is available, as well as level whatever new pet I may have received recently. I just finished buying all the charm pets a couple days ago, but I'm still working on my 8th alt so I can buy the portal on 8.1 release and have a healthy stock in reserve.

Waynebrady
Top Rater
Pet Score:13872
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Waynebrady » October 13th, 2018, 9:35 am

Right now I see 3 world quests up for Marked Flawless Battle Stones... And this isn't the first time multiple rare stones have popped up. I know it seems few and far between when the WQ's don't give you what you need, but there are other people who aren't in the same boat as you. Those people may need to level pets vs make them rare.

I went several days with no Polished Charm WQ's, and I don't need anything else.... You have a choice, you can do old content (which will take you no time at all) to save up old charms, or use your new Polished Stones to buy rare tokens. You probably won't get enough rare stones from world quests so the reliable way is to do Legion WQ's for charms to buy the tokens. And you certainly aren't going to spend the new charms on rare stones.

Darkchyld
Pet Score:13586
BattleTag®:Darkchyld#1345
Realm:Tichondrius-us

Post by Darkchyld » October 13th, 2018, 11:27 am

Not sure why you spent all your shiny charms on leveling stones. To me, there are plenty of options to level from grinding certain areas, waiting until pet bonus weekly, doing MoP/WoD trainers, Squirt, and leveling stones. For rares, you can only hunt wilds and that is the extent of it. If it comes as a non-rare from any other source, you are forced to use a stone if you want to have it rare and stones are a lot more limited and RNG based comparatively.

And also not sure why people are so rushed for polished pet charms/flawless pet stones when we are just 2 months into the expansion. You have plenty of time to earn them over the expansion and if you want to earn more at a quicker pace, then level up more alts for that many more charms/stones.

Qamarqamar
Pet Score:5984
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Qamarqamar » October 21st, 2018, 6:45 pm

I am in a similar position, needing to find a source of rare stones, although for different reasons. I don't have any worries about leveling pets, as pets are easy to level , but I do need stones to make pets rare.

It has been so long since I was in need of a source for these that I don't remember the best way to acquire them. I did a round of the Pandaria tamers yesterday, and the Spirit Beast daily, but didn't receive any. Are there any particular tamers that are reliable at dropping these? I'll keep an eye out for wqs as well. In the meantime, I can't think of any other way except to buy the stones with the new polished charms. Any tips much appreciated!

Harpooha
MVP
Pet Score:12996
Realm:Aggramar-us

Post by Harpooha » October 21st, 2018, 7:16 pm

It's all the Pandaren tamers plus the end tamers of each continent.

Stone Cold Trixxy (Winterspring)
Lydia Accoste (Deadwind Pass)
Bloodknight Antari (Shadowmoon Valley Outland)
Major Payne (Icecrown)
Obalis (Uldum)

Also:

Crysa (Barrens)
Environeer Bert (Gnomeragan)

Qamarqamar
Pet Score:5984
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Qamarqamar » October 25th, 2018, 3:06 am

Thanks for the concise list! I'm combining Panda trainers with candy bucket farming on alts. The trainers have been a bit stingy with the stones so far, so I am using alts to farm the new currency on BfA world quests as well. Thanks again!

Uduwudu
Pet Score:11571
Realm:Draka-us

Post by Uduwudu » October 25th, 2018, 12:19 pm

Hi,

My "process" is like this ... I do not pick up the Poor and the Common pets, and if I do it is because of its rarity, and ... yep that's a fast one, and you know that you will get 15 crappers of the same pet before you see another one, that is Uncommon, and of course, the Rare one, is a crapper, too!

For levelling purposes, it's nice to have them Rare, but they work OK as Uncommon, as long as you know when to use them to get a hit in and some XP ... so, starting with Ashlii every day, then the Murlocs in Aszuna when they are up, should always get you to 11 or 12 if you have the Safari Hat. From then on, the weekly Battlemasters off the Garrison, is a must, since you get 10 level stones ... and I use these stones on the mid level pets.

Also a must is making sure that you take advantage of Squirt when she is on ... it's 1 to 13, to 18 to 21 ... more or less. And then, of course, is the Pet Battle Bonus Week, which is coming up and shows up every 2 months or so, I think. It's something like 2.5X experience and it is great for the mid levels ... go to Un'goro or a mid level zone and bring as many of these pets up as you can, and have a "bomb" as your 3rd pet to close out the fights faster.

Just as an idea, a couple of years ago (post elsewhere here), I did something like the equivalent of 500+ levels in one day with Squirt ... that makes it about 50 or more pets got a major jump in level, and I basically worked from the bottom up, so I did not have any low level pets left ... and slowly but surely cleaned up everything.

Since I now have all of the pets up to 25 and Rare, things are a lot easier ... now I can just concentrate on levelling one pet at a time as it drops off Arathi, or an Expedition, for example, and in general, this is not a problem ... doing the dailies after all the Polished Pet Charms is a must, and now ... geee I'm piling them up again and already bought all of Madelyn's pets ... probably getting Nigel's next.

In general, and I have posted it here a few times, I do NOT use any stones on any pet 22 and up, and use these pets instead as a 3rd pet in most battles, to get XP, and if I have too many of them, then I go to a nice place where I can take down critters easy enough for easy XP. It takes about 4 or 5 pet battles with a 23 or 24 as the 3rd pet, for them to level, so every 9 or 10 battles you have a new 25 level. A benefit on these battles is that on occasion a RARE stone is dropped ... nice giftie!

As mentioned above, being aware of what the DAILY battles are, and what the WQ's offer is massive ... 4 Undead level stones, one Rare anything stone, 4 this or that stones, and so on, eventually add up enough to get you going up and up and moving along, if that is your goal.

One last detail ... make sure that any character you have at 100, let's say, has the Menagerie at level 3, so they can get the daily fights and the weekly fight. I, now, have 3 characters at level 120 and this makes it easier in piling up the materials since it is account bound, and only one of my characters maintains ALL of the pieces, so they are in one place. The extra battle available DOES count on the Battlemasters weekly.

I have not done, or checked Trixxy, Accoste, Antari, Payne or Obalis ... have not needed them. AND, for me the Pandaren Tamers are a rip off ... just make sure you get the important Spirits, though only one has very good usage all around. The others are kinda not needed a whole lot.