Question on stoning pets

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Harpooha
MVP
Pet Score:12996
Realm:Aggramar-us
Question on stoning pets

Post by Harpooha » October 3rd, 2018, 2:34 pm

I have been trading BFA pets with an Alliance partner. We trade Horde/Alliance only pets that are bought with charms. Things have gone pretty smoothly so far.

When we traded the [pet]lil-siege-tower[/pet]/[pet]lil-war-machine[/pet], I realized they were faction specific. so I couldn't use mine with my main guys. But I do have an alliance alt at Ashlei, so leveling it was no big deal. I made the comment to my partner that I would have thrown an upgrade stone on it if I had known.

As we were finishing up the last trade, he sent back the War Machine so I could upgrade it to level 25 for him. When he got it back, he said it had changed from an H/P to a B/B. I have no reason to disbelieve him, but I know I sent back the one he sent in the mail.

Is this just a bug or is something else going on here? It doesn't seem to be a big deal to him, but it kind of bugs me.

Kalium
Top Rater

Re: Question on stoning pets

Post by Kalium » October 3rd, 2018, 8:54 pm

This isn't the first time stoning has changed the breed of pets. The [pet]Rotten Little Helper[/pet] looks to be B/B when Uncommon but when stoned and leveled is P/P. I believe it's a limitation with the addons that report the breeds. Though this is the only known instance of changing breeds that I am aware of.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » October 3rd, 2018, 10:32 pm

Did you verify breed through addon only or did you also check against [url=https://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/mechanical/miscellaneous/lil-siege-tower/]the stat profile on WCP[/url] before and after stoning? I noticed that Lil Siege Tower's breed (I don't have the other, but same stats) doesn't display correctly on Battle Pet BreedID - I've picked up 2 already, and each time had to check the stats here to make sure I had the correct breed.

Harpooha
MVP
Pet Score:12996
Realm:Aggramar-us

Post by Harpooha » October 4th, 2018, 5:01 am

That's kind of the problem. I wasn't really paying attention to breeds.

And because it changed hands a couple times, I really don't know.

I'm not sure it matters that much. I don't think we can tell breed before it goes in our stable. And once it's there, I don't think we can sell it back for our charms. So if we want a specific breed for one of these pets, it could take a while. Not really an issue in the long run, but with charms being a little scarce now I am kind of happy with whatever.

Gráinne
Pet Score:13224
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » October 4th, 2018, 7:31 am

Yeah, reverse-calculating the Breed can be ambiguous for level 1 pets.

Stoning doesn't change the Breed. But it changes the stats, often enough that where the addon guessed one thing before, it now recognises that it was wrong and can show the correct breed.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » October 4th, 2018, 3:30 pm

As I put a lot of thought into breeds, whenever there's new pets with multiple breeds off vendors I usually give it some time for addons and reference sites to update, then cross reference to make sure I got the breed I want before leveling it, giving it away, etc. There are a few pets where the stats on a lvl 1 make it impossible to calculate, so those pets need a couple levels before the stats differentiate enough for addons to work.

As you noted charms are still a little scarce, so my solution is to trade pets with guildmates and friends, as most people don't care about breeds at all and are happy to swap as long as they get something equal back.