Island Expedition Pets

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Jodmos
Pet Score:6700
Realm:Bloodhoof-eu
Re: Island Expedition Pets

Post by Jodmos » August 23rd, 2018, 4:51 pm

Now up to around 80 expeditions, mostly normal but a few Heroic and guess what, my third Octopode Fry (pink one this time). Come on Blizz give me a different pet.

I seriously can't see anyone getting all the pets as the drop rates seem abysmal and there also isn't anything to suggest how you get them.

At least if you got the pet when killing something rather than the end, people would be able to piece together what needs done for each pet, but I guess Blizzards worship of RNG knows no bounds.

The_guy
Pet Score:4714
Realm:Burning Blade-us

Post by The_guy » August 24th, 2018, 2:30 pm

I am over 30 wins deep so far, 10 in normal and 20 in heroic, and have yet to see anything drop outside of a 2 rep tokens. This grind may be the worst grind ever added.

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » August 27th, 2018, 3:36 am

Quintessence wrote:Pets that drop from Island Expeditions:
  • [pet]Barnaby[/pet]
  • [pet]Bloodstone Tunneler[/pet]
  • [pet]Captain Nibs[/pet]
  • [pet]Coldlight Surfrunner[/pet]
  • [pet]Craghoof Kid[/pet]
  • [pet]Deathsting Scorpid[/pet]
  • [pet]False Knucklebump[/pet]
  • [pet]Giggling Flame[/pet]
  • [pet]Inky[/pet]
  • [pet]Juvenile Brineshell[/pet]
  • [pet]Kindleweb Spiderling[/pet]
  • [pet]Kunchong Hatchling[/pet]
  • [pet]Laughing Stoneskin[/pet]
  • [pet]Littlehoof[/pet]
  • [pet]Mischievous Zephyr[/pet]
  • [pet]Muskflank Calfling[/pet]
  • [pet]Ocotopode Fry[/pet]
  • [pet]Playful Frostkin[/pet]
  • [pet]Poro[/pet]
  • [pet]Sandshell Chitterer[/pet]
  • [pet]Scuttle[/pet]
  • [pet]Snapper[/pet]
  • [pet]Snort[/pet]
  • [pet]Sparkleshell Sandcrawler[/pet]
  • [pet]Sunscale Hatchling[/pet]
  • [pet]Thistlebrush Bud[/pet]
  • [pet]Tinder Pup[/pet]
  • [pet]Voru'kar Leecher[/pet]
Is this a cruel joke from Blizzard?

Blizzard Employee #1: Oh well, Island Expeditions SUCK and people hate them. How do we make people do them? If people don't do them, we'll get fired for creating unused max-level content.
Blizzard Employee #2: Let's add a ton of mounts and pets, with virtually non existing drop rate.
Blizzard Employee #1: Brilliant idea.. We solved this..
Blizzard Employee #2: YAY!! Maybe we'll get promotions..

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13928
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » August 31st, 2018, 1:00 am

Apparently drops from Island Expeditions were adjusted (evening of August 29), according to developer Jeremy Feasel.

https://twitter.com/Muffinus/status/1035040400845590528

He doesn't specify what exactly was changed though. Higher pet drop rates? Mounts? Doubloons? Azerite?

We'll have to see if these changes help make running these scenarios more rewarding.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Lolfixheal
Pet Score:11928
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Post by Lolfixheal » August 31st, 2018, 1:26 pm

Guildmate of mine claimed having done 70 Expeditions, yet to see a pet, gotten 2 quest starters. Myself a more modest 10-15 runs and only Exotic Spices (not even on achievement).

There isn't anything else dropping from Expeditions of interest than the mounts+pets+queststarters, so safe to assume that is what he meant. Droprate is Abyssmal.. Bigger Bags was easier lol.

Lornaa
Top Rater
Pet Score:13864
BattleTag®:Rhadeyaz#2207
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Lornaa » August 31st, 2018, 1:47 pm

Over 20 normal runs and not even a rep token :cry: just azurite shard and pouch of doubloons so far :cry:

Jodmos

Post by Jodmos » August 31st, 2018, 2:45 pm

Just did the weekly on heroics and frankly I think the drops were worse (and the drops were bad before). Only got dubloons once and I've the research to get extra.
Will do my other character tomorrow so maybe more luck there. Went ahead and did them - and although I got a rep item it's pretty much as before, maybe a bit worse.

I wouldn't be surprised that the increase is enough to affect drops globally but individually we'll not see much difference

The_guy
Pet Score:4714
Realm:Burning Blade-us

Post by The_guy » September 1st, 2018, 10:09 pm

After seeing the twitter post about the drop rates being buffed i decided to grind out quite a bit of these, and with 30 mythics and 560k azerite collected on a single character with at least 10-20 normal on 3 characters with about half of that in heroics, i can say without a doubt this is the worst drop rate for possibly anything in this game. Even with the demo cheese we have this week i cant even imagine getting one of the mounts or pets let alone completing "I'm here for the Pets".

Honestly probably going to grind out the last doubloons i have for demos and just rush normals to see if my luck changes at all.

*Edit: Made it to 600k with the last of my doubloons, and after about ~100 IEs all i have to show for it is 4 rep tokens with 1 being on a alt that doesn't even need the rep. The best part is some of the pets are already on the AH on my server, such as the parrot that doesn't fly, and they are not even selling above 100k. Blizzard cant even take the time to correctly name Doubloons, they spell it as dubloon, and that's literally all i receive.

Lolfixheal
Pet Score:11928
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Post by Lolfixheal » September 2nd, 2018, 6:29 am

Or change the achievement to be accountwide since the criteria inherently are accwide being pets-collected, unless credit is only given when using the item that gives the pet, then we would be in for a treat /s.

Petals
Pet Score:11381
Realm:Lightbringer-us

Post by Petals » September 2nd, 2018, 2:33 pm

did about 50 this weekend between two characters with the same group of friends. none of us saw anything except the occasional doubloon pouch.

I saw scuttle the first week and that's been it. no rep tokens, no toys, mounts, etc.

edit: mythic and we won everything

Spinachdip
Pet Score:10920
Realm:Arthas-us

Post by Spinachdip » September 2nd, 2018, 2:36 pm

...5 poros and 4 scuttles so far.. lol wut

Misstic
MVP
Pet Score:6356
Realm:Illidan-us

Post by Misstic » September 3rd, 2018, 2:27 am

Lordy wrote:Must be a really small drop chance as I've spent hours doing Island Expeditions and not seen anything other than the occasional coin purse.
I agree this is HORRIBLE!!! I thought the last expansion was rough being a pet collector, but 400 pvp rank on each side (horde and alliance) and now Island Expeditions, I am about out! I will quit the game if they do not fix the IE pet drop rate! I have done over 80 of these with alts, friends and only seen ONE pet so far between all 3 of us!!!!! We did a few N and then mostly H after that. This is a joke especially considering how awful and NOT fun the island expeditions are, AND that 28 pets come from them!!!! HUGE fail this expansion Blizz, you may just loose a vanilla player this time since pet collecting is the main reason I play still..............................

UPDATE: I decided to cancel my subscription. It is done! My hubby can tell me if they fix all the BS with pets in the patch. Otherwise, goodbye and goodluck to you all, Played Wow since Dec 2004.......

Salus
Pet Score:8751
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Salus » September 3rd, 2018, 7:59 am

Misstic wrote:UPDATE: I decided to cancel my subscription. It is done! My hubby can tell me if they fix all the BS with pets in the patch. Otherwise, goodbye and goodluck to you all, Played Wow since Dec 2004.......
I think this is the only thing that will work. Good for you, I wish I was willing to do that (but I'm a weak-willed ninny).

My solution is just not to do Island Expeditions. They weren't fun the first time, they weren't fun the 10th time, I can't imagine they'll be any more fun the 100th time.

Baldulf
MVP
Pet Score:6727
Realm:Suramar-us

Post by Baldulf » September 3rd, 2018, 11:01 am

Salus wrote:I think this is the only thing that will work. Good for you, I wish I was willing to do that (but I'm a weak-willed ninny).

My solution is just not to do Island Expeditions. They weren't fun the first time, they weren't fun the 10th time, I can't imagine they'll be any more fun the 100th time.
And it will easily take 1,000 or more to get all six of the non-cageable pets, at these drop rates.

Also of concern to me is that five of the six non-cageable pets show as "0.0% of the community collected" here on WCP (one is not in the database). Does that actually mean no one has gotten a single one yet, or could it be rounded down from 0.04% or below?

Misstic
MVP
Pet Score:6356
Realm:Illidan-us

Post by Misstic » September 3rd, 2018, 3:32 pm

Salus wrote:
Misstic wrote:UPDATE: I decided to cancel my subscription. It is done! My hubby can tell me if they fix all the BS with pets in the patch. Otherwise, goodbye and goodluck to you all, Played Wow since Dec 2004.......
I think this is the only thing that will work. Good for you, I wish I was willing to do that (but I'm a weak-willed ninny).

Another update: My friend just saw a blue post today that they INCREASED the IE drop rates! I may try it now.

Jodmos

Post by Jodmos » September 3rd, 2018, 5:10 pm

Misstic wrote:
Another update: My friend just saw a blue post today that they INCREASED the IE drop rates! I may try it now.
I wouldn't hold out much hope. From what I've seen with comments after the increase :lol: was that it doesn't appear any better at all.

Angelcat2887
Pet Score:11102
BattleTag®:Angel2887#2347
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by Angelcat2887 » September 4th, 2018, 10:44 am

Well ran a few on mythic this week, and managed to get one of the crabs, but not looking foward to running these for the next two years

Jodmos

Post by Jodmos » September 6th, 2018, 1:47 pm

This week

First character 6 heroics - 4 dubloon bags was all.
Second character 5 heroics - 3 dubloon bags.

I seriously can't believe how bad drops are. I think once my characters are exalted I'll skip these unless they up the drop rates as it's pretty much a waste of time and gold (no gold for doing them and repair costs). Unless you are bleeding edge were every azerite counts it's not even worth doing for that.
Last edited by Jodmos on September 6th, 2018, 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ligament
Pet Score:6013
BattleTag®:ligament#1221
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Ligament » September 6th, 2018, 2:44 pm

Perfect solution: Make the pets/toys/mounts/xmog/etc purchasable from the vendor on the starting ship. That rotates every week and there are like 10 of them. Have doubloons be the currency. Keeps it a bit rare, still need to grind, and rather attainable. Hell, even have them remain as the low chance drops they're at now IN ADDITION.

Jodmos

Post by Jodmos » September 6th, 2018, 3:44 pm

Ligament wrote:Perfect solution: Make the pets/toys/mounts/xmog/etc purchasable from the vendor on the starting ship. That rotates every week and there are like 10 of them. Have doubloons be the currency. Keeps it a bit rare, still need to grind, and rather attainable. Hell, even have them remain as the low chance drops they're at now IN ADDITION.
I suggested this as did many others. At the rate I've done this it's maybe 1.5 dubloons per IE and if they do do this you can bet prices will be ridiculous.