Island Expedition Pets

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us
Re: Island Expedition Pets

Post by Gilneas » September 24th, 2018, 5:05 am

Necronx wrote:Apparently, they reduced the drop again, or probably the high drop only remains until the cap :( (but cant confirm this last one)
I highly doubt it's been changed since the increase. It was just really, really low beforehand, such that a large increase still means they are infrequent.

Tarty
Top Rater
Pet Score:13702
Realm:Runetotem-eu

Post by Tarty » September 24th, 2018, 11:47 am

Darkchyld wrote:The one that dramatically increased rewards was the 14 September patch.
Not so "dramatically"... but at least now we can drop something aside from doubloons.

Meanwhile, I just start to level my 110 alt mage, so I can have more chance to drop something here, at the Warfront and more Charms to collect via WQ.

First run into the IE, my mage got Inky! After about more 70+ runs with my Main, I got the same toy again, a Deathsting Scorpid (after I kill a bounch of them) and 2 Laughing Stonekin... only during the weekly quest.

So, I was able to got 3 pets in a couple of days...

TOY = 1
PET = 3
MOUNT = 0

Waynebrady
Top Rater
Pet Score:13872
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Waynebrady » September 24th, 2018, 1:43 pm

90+ Island Expeditions (~40 Regular, ~30 Heroic, ~20 Mythic):

2 Transmog boe ilvl 310 green pieces
1 BoE 325 Staff
3 Pets
4 Rep Token items (hand in for 250 rep)
0 Mounts

Keep in mind that roughly 1/2 to 3/4 of these were done pre-buff to IE rewards, and during that time we saw only the BoE staff, and 1 Transmog piece, 0 pets/mounts.

Ganksinatra
Top Rater
Pet Score:7785
Realm:Alterac Mountains-us

Post by Ganksinatra » September 28th, 2018, 4:03 pm

After seeing no Barnabys on the AH on any of my three realms, all of my realms are flooded with them. Clearly pet drops are on some sort of cycle.

Jodmos
Pet Score:6700
Realm:Bloodhoof-eu

Post by Jodmos » September 28th, 2018, 7:51 pm

Ganksinatra wrote:After seeing no Barnabys on the AH on any of my three realms, all of my realms are flooded with them. Clearly pet drops are on some sort of cycle.
There is a rare Pirate called Barnaby (and I know I killed him when I got the pet) and one of the islands has Pirates as main enemy so lots of Pirates to kill for pirate related pets. Certainly looks like, if you are after specific pets, getting that 'right' main enemy helps a lot as you are not relying on the invasions. Even pugs kill rares they find, well most of the time anyway.

Hopefully all the enemy types can be main enemy. Want Mogu and Mantid in particular.

Artemicia
Top Rater
Pet Score:11960
Realm:Dalaran-us

Post by Artemicia » September 30th, 2018, 10:54 pm

I found an interesting video by kelani on youtube after watching it I tested this and on my alt I was leveling, I got more pets and items then I have on any other toon, so either my demon hunter has the luck or there is something to this :P Unfortunately I cannot post the link because I don't post enough on the forums here. But if you want to look at it just find Signs of Kelani on youtube and look up Island Expeditions and why your doing them wrong lol

Sinluv
Top Rater
Pet Score:7260
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Sinluv » October 1st, 2018, 8:05 am

don't worry about losing the island expeditions as ive lost a handful almost on purpose just to be able to get in as many kills on rare spawns as I could......I read somewhere and have even tested this that the loot table is based on the rares being killing not just simply pulling huge amounts of mobs and burning them down ASAP.....ive got 3 Barnaby and a scorpion this week along with a handful of other items and one of the Barnaby's I got we actually lost that one...….best way ive found to is that the invasions start to happen about 8ish minutes in so me and some guildies just go close to the end doing heroics then started killing the alliance until the invasions happened.....and IMO it seems like killing the rares from the invasions has a better chance of yielding loot...…..I think ive got about 7 pets a plundered 2 handed mace 2 pirate hats and multiple quest items for rep and AP since doing this earlier this week.....in fact ive had better luck with stuff dropping like this than I have with anything dropping from the rare but not really rare mobs in Arathi

Sinluv
Top Rater
Pet Score:7260
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Sinluv » October 1st, 2018, 8:07 am

Artemicia wrote:I found an interesting video by kelani on youtube after watching it I tested this and on my alt I was leveling, I got more pets and items then I have on any other toon, so either my demon hunter has the luck or there is something to this :P Unfortunately I cannot post the link because I don't post enough on the forums here. But if you want to look at it just find Signs of Kelani on youtube and look up Island Expeditions and why your doing them wrong lol

I saw the same video and have tested this and yea like I said in my comment above...….if youre not killings as many rares as you can youre doing the island adventures wrong.....well maybe not wrong but doing them wrong way for loot sure they award AP but lets get real …..were all there for those pets

Jennasmooth
Pet Score:6963
Realm:Twisting Nether-us

Post by Jennasmooth » October 1st, 2018, 10:18 am

I definitely noticed a difference after reading that you needed to focus on rares and the specific mobs for the pets you were trying to get. I had only gotten 1 pet in all the IE runs I'd done up until yesterday (and I always did at least the weekly quest, maybe a few more), and then started ignoring all chests and the Azerite guys and focused only on the mobs and rares. I received 4 more pets last night, 2 of them from one when I focused on killing all the pirates, and 2 pieces of gear, 3 quest items ... it was a really big difference for me and made the islands a little more fun.

Tarty
Top Rater

Post by Tarty » October 2nd, 2018, 4:02 am

Even if you focus only on Rares Elite the chance to drop something are low... I usually focus only on rare (when I find a proper group).. and I drop nothing. Just yesterday, after 5 runs on Mithyc with my guild mates, focusing only on rare, I was able to drop Barnaby (for the second time) and a piece of equip. :/

Actually, the big problem to me is find players that wanna focus only on rare elite... and not rushing the island.

Maybe, as "WarcraftPets" community we can crate a new WoW channel USA/EU - Ally/horde to organize IE runs?

Tarty
Top Rater

Post by Tarty » October 22nd, 2018, 10:17 am

I started to buy pets on AH... I drop Littlehoof 3 weeks ago, and after that I never see a single drop, only 2 pieces of equip and doubloons...

I try every king of theory about how to trigger drops, but nothing is working to me.

I give up.

Skooch
MVP
Pet Score:12634
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Skooch » October 31st, 2018, 8:42 am

Okay, the Island Expeditions seem to be breaking my will. I have gone to great lengths for my pet collection, spending countless hours since BFA launched working through the end of Legion pets (which I missed), even leveling new classes … The only lines I'll draw are for 400 honor level and pets that would cost gobs of real cash … But still …

Blizz has now introduced a system of drops that may well be impossible to collect. (Too pessimistic?) I've tried all the best advice, spent hours running with folks focusing just on the farm, have used the IE's to level, and still … Just two BOP pets so far.

I've resisted being "that person" who takes to forums to gripe about the current RNG state of the game … But, yes, I think I can finally join the rant. Any words of advice? Encouragement? Hell ya?

/endrant

Minivivi
MVP
Pet Score:12541
Realm:Medivh-us

Post by Minivivi » November 1st, 2018, 4:24 pm

Island Expeditions are a joke. The entire expansion is a joke. Blizzard has gated so many pets behind so much steaming s*^t that is not one bit of fun anymore. I have no desire to reach PVP Honor level 400. Nor do I have the desire to slog my way through Islands anymore. I do them solely for the ap. Yes, I have most of the pets because I have either bought or traded for the island pets. Instead of the joy I battling for them, I now obtain through bartering. How sad.

Sffcorgi
MVP
Pet Score:13552
BattleTag®:Corgi#1919
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Sffcorgi » December 2nd, 2018, 12:03 pm

Would anybody have any tips, suggestions, etc. about how to get the untradeable Elementals? I have only one - of course I want the Islands pet achieve - but I'm really fond of the Elementals' design and want them for themselves. I'm not entirely sure what to look for where, not that anybody I've queued with has been willing to go along with my wants.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » December 2nd, 2018, 2:06 pm

Sffcorgi wrote:Would anybody have any tips, suggestions, etc. about how to get the untradeable Elementals? I have only one - of course I want the Islands pet achieve - but I'm really fond of the Elementals' design and want them for themselves. I'm not entirely sure what to look for where, not that anybody I've queued with has been willing to go along with my wants.
There's always an object called "Rotting Wooden Chest" somewhere on the island. It usually spawns an elemental (or sprite) of some type.

Alternatively, there are some islands where elementals just naturally show up more. I think the snowy one has air/water a lot of the time (along the coast and on a peninsula).

Or if you can wait, in Patch 8.1 those pets will become cageable so you should be able to find plenty on the AH. (I know I have multiple duplicates to sell haha :lol: )
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Ganksinatra
Top Rater
Pet Score:7785
Realm:Alterac Mountains-us

Post by Ganksinatra » December 2nd, 2018, 2:35 pm

Sffcorgi wrote:Would anybody have any tips, suggestions, etc. about how to get the untradeable Elementals? I have only one - of course I want the Islands pet achieve - but I'm really fond of the Elementals' design and want them for themselves. I'm not entirely sure what to look for where, not that anybody I've queued with has been willing to go along with my wants.
Both times I have seen one of them drop my group had killed one/or more of the rare Trickster spawns that ambush you out of the sand. Best off searching along the shorelines of the island.

Waynebrady
Top Rater
Pet Score:13872
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Waynebrady » December 2nd, 2018, 2:44 pm

I urged everyone to pick up the AHOY! add-on. It tells you what mobs drop what items, and keeps track of how many you have killed (per IE). You simply mouse over the mob and it displays everything that particular mob can drop.

Best things I have learned from this add-on:

1. Even non-rares drop items (pets, transmog, etc.!)
2. Crocs, Hydra, and a couple other common mobs don't drop anything! Not worth killing!
3. A lot of rares don't don't anything (the giants, etc.). Not worth killing!

Angelcat2887
Pet Score:11102
BattleTag®:Angel2887#2347
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by Angelcat2887 » December 3rd, 2018, 8:45 am

Waynebrady wrote:I urged everyone to pick up the AHOY! add-on. It tells you what mobs drop what items, and keeps track of how many you have killed (per IE). You simply mouse over the mob and it displays everything that particular mob can drop.

Best things I have learned from this add-on:

1. Even non-rares drop items (pets, transmog, etc.!)
2. Crocs, Hydra, and a couple other common mobs don't drop anything! Not worth killing!
3. A lot of rares don't don't anything (the giants, etc.). Not worth killing!
I was just coming on here to post that! A guildie said about it so I got it and 3 of use went on runs, 5 runs and 7 pets between us. the AHOY! add on really works,

As Waynebrady it lets u mouse over and see what is on the mobs loot table, so no more wasting 5 mins to kill the giants cus u now know your are not going to get anything from it.