Taming

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Wikdsweet
Pet Score:4754
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu
Taming

Post by Wikdsweet » July 24th, 2018, 9:29 am

Does anyone else feel bad when you're out taming, looking for that blue or the best stats, and mow thru all those poor little guys that just don't add up? Bunnies and peachicks break my heart :cry: (yeah I know I am a weenie)

Uduwudu
Pet Score:11571
Realm:Draka-us

Re: Taming

Post by Uduwudu » July 27th, 2018, 9:05 am

Hi,

Depends on how you do it.

If all you are doing is looking for those, yeah, you will likely get frustrated, and now that you got one, the stupid Dragonkin did a Critical Strike and took your pet down! Frustrating to say the least! 27 more fights before the next one shows up and it is the worst possible choice, not the fast one!

I go around, on a different server and account, leveling pets ... Teraclaw/Anubis, Stormborn Whelpling and a pet in the middle ... being in the Isles is nice ... you take a pet that you want and it become 23, and you use it on the 3rd slot and make sure it gets a few shots in, or finishes the job, and it gets experience, until it is leveled to 25. I have done it this way for over 150 pets already, and in some cases, replace the bad low level ones. I use the "Favorite" mark to separate the pets I keep from the rest ... and if a green comes up and I have a white, then I drop the white after the fight so the pet collection is always improving.

The low level ones is a different story ... I make sure to do Ashli every day for all of them. As a starter pet battler, you can get something like the Stormborn Whelpling and one other bomber, easy enough and you can do Ashli every day with a level 1, and bring it to 11 (no hat yet on that account!).

Making sure you look forward is the issue ... for example, I already got the Fjord Worg Pup needed for the Squirt fight and ended up spending 7K to get the Ghastly Kid, that would not show up on the Menagerie, and am working on taking that up, hopefully by tomorrow, so I can do Squirt on 25 pets ... and level them up big time.

The harder part is going after the important pets ... like you really need a Nexus Whelpling, but the Stormborn is a good back up, the Manafiends are easy to get and a nice bomb, and then get a friend to get you the Mechanicals that you can get ... gotta have 2 Starlettes for the twins in Valdisdal, for example, and the like ... but you also want Lil' Bling and and then make sure you do the Darkmoon Faire to get the pets you want from there ... the Tonk, the Zep, the Rabbit, and several other pets are very important and useful. You will need all these to get into the bigger fights in Legion for example, since the average pets are not good enough, and of course, every thing has to be turned into RARE and top'd off.

It makes the process a lot easier and fun ... and gives you a chance to see other pet strategies, although the game seems to have a rather random set of choices (Pygmy Marsuul falling down at an unnecessary time and such), and in the end, when doing some fights, you can have a much better idea of what you need and can use. I find the experience of fighting all the battles at 23 and 24 important to the ability to use your pets elsewhere, and not just rely on statistic and suggestions here and elsewhere, some of which are not do'able at all, but on paper they would work, IF you have the pet species that can do that, and too many times, you probably don't, and that's another issue.

As an example, only one pet species of the Fjord Worg Pup is capable of helping int eh Squirt fights in my experience. The other species of that pet take too much damage and die before they have the chance to cast HOWL for the next pet.

This, is my way of enjoying the whole thing ... and I am not a great fan of the high level pet battles in Legion, for example, as many of those pets are simply setup to ensure that you fail, and unless you are an experienced battler, those fights can be extremely frustrating, since they heal themselves and bomb way too easy by comparison to 95% of all the other pets out there.

Missbitt
Pet Score:7009
Realm:Blackhand-us

Re: Taming

Post by Missbitt » July 27th, 2018, 11:28 am

I totally get what you are saying! All those poor peachicks, cats, and bunnies, plus Blizzard gave them a sad sounding death. I also really hate when I'm using my Pandaren Elementals and they die. The sound they make is quite sad as well. But we do what we gotta do to get the one we want. :cry:

Thankfully the Battle Safari achievement for next expansion doesn't seem to have any of those. Lots of crabs and frogs, which is fine by me. I love a good crab on my team. The only thing that might suck is the Returned Hatchling (baby dino made of bones). I have a feeling the butterflies will probably die just like moths.

I usually like to work on wild pets whilst I'm leveling so I don't have feel like I'm committing genocide all at once. If I'm doing quests in between it gives the pets more time to respawn and you get a little bit of xp from pet battles. (I once leveled an entire level in Pandaria because I was hunting a rare that did want to spawn). If I don't find it by the time I'm full level, then I will go and hunt it down specifically or just do it between world quests.

Best of luck to all of you guys!