Share pet collecting news and advice.
Natupink
Top Rater
Pet Score:10011
BattleTag®:Natupink#2643
Realm:Arathor-eu
Re: Honor 400 for a pet is insane..

Post by Natupink » August 1st, 2018, 9:17 am

I think about this exp (where we start with the higher number ever of new pets) Blizzard did it three very bad things for pet collectors (especially). 1: The pet with crazy high PVP honor when, basicly, the pvp gamers dont care about pets (ofc not the 100% of them but many of those guys). 2: collect 400 and i repeat 400 toys to have a pet. I have 952 pets, 347 mounts, i like to raid and all this stuff make me plays loooot of time since vanilla. Now i have to collect also a crazy number of toys and top my pvp??? My life would be all in WoW!!! The tip they give in loading screen "remember there is something other than WoW" make me laugh….. really. 3: just 27 wild pets on a total of 120+ of them if i understood well? It means lot of them will be farmable with incursions or killing rare mobs etc. and probably not with 100% drops, this will need lot of time to collect em and only on at the start of BfA! I'm one of the few stupid player who did it 500 or 1000 (i dont remember exactly the number) pet battles in WoD to have an achivement+pet, after i finished this achivement, in one week or so, they patched and changed the achivement; needed just 100 pet battles to have same achivement+pet. I think many of U guys get the same experience than me.… So, since sincerilly i like to do all things at my best, or i start to live on WoW and ofc this is not possible cos i need to work and i need to have a social life like all of U guys, or i leave the game… There is another chance if the Blizzard wont lose one (and i think more than one) player/s who play since 13/14 years: i really hope they will lower the numbers on those crazy achivements and maybe put some more wild and less pets to drop or at least, swicth some pets to BoE (like Vengeance Porcupette for example) before BfA will come. I hope U will agree with me, anyway ty to read my post.
Federico-Natupink

Vhale
MVP
Pet Score:10441
Realm:Durotan-us

Post by Vhale » August 3rd, 2018, 5:08 am

I feel like the game is moving too far towards time-gating with an eye to keep people subscribed. Which is odd, as most people I know pay with tokens. But I may have to drop raiding as somethings going to have to go to make room.

Harpooha
MVP
Pet Score:13143
Realm:Aggramar-us

Post by Harpooha » August 3rd, 2018, 1:23 pm

Vhale wrote:I feel like the game is moving too far towards time-gating with an eye to keep people subscribed. Which is odd, as most people I know pay with tokens. But I may have to drop raiding as somethings going to have to go to make room.
Paying with tokens is actually better for Blizzard. Although in your eyes you are paying nothing, the reality is that someone else is paying $20 for your sub. So they actually make more money that way.

I think there are two things in play. After WOD, I think they decided to try to get people out of their comfort zones. Hence the PvP related pets, pet battle related mounts, professions tied to dungeons, Too many players spent a lot of WOD holed up in their garrisons. They had to give them a reason to move.

I think the "time-gating" is a reaction to Wowhead - Xu-Fu's style guides that are comprehensive and ubiquitous. They can come up with any type of challenge and within a short period of time, some group of players has made a guide which makes it trivial. Very few people actually play the game. They just follow someone else's guide. The only way to combat this is RNG or forcing the player to do something over time.

As for the original topic, it sounds daunting now. As the xpac wears on it will be readily achievable. But it will be easier if you leave your comfort zone and do some actual PvP. I noticed when I did battlegrounds during Legion that I got a lot more prestige than I did by doing dailies. I still stink at PvP and I don't enjoy it. It will just be a matter of swallowing my pride and working on it.

Vhale
MVP
Pet Score:10441
Realm:Durotan-us

Post by Vhale » August 3rd, 2018, 4:01 pm

Harpooha wrote:
Vhale wrote:I feel like the game is moving too far towards time-gating with an eye to keep people subscribed. Which is odd, as most people I know pay with tokens. But I may have to drop raiding as somethings going to have to go to make room.
Paying with tokens is actually better for Blizzard. Although in your eyes you are paying nothing, the reality is that someone else is paying $20 for your sub. So they actually make more money that way.

:? Lecture not needed. I didn't say it was worse, I know Blizzard gets more. There is no, "in my eyes". I simply observe, the people I know buy several tokens at a time or the 6 month block, so they are subbed regardless of the gating.

Furkel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13624
Realm:Moonglade-eu

Post by Furkel » August 4th, 2018, 5:20 pm

I think we sometimes forget that those of us who are actually willing to keep doing content we don't really like for several years for a pet must be a very, very small minority of players! I find it hard to believe that this is some grand scheme by Blizzard to keep people subscribed, because again, for most people even a really cool crab just ain't gonna cut it.

For me, unless there's some slow but steady not-really-PvP way of earning honor in BfA this just enforces an idea that the Legion class hall pets have made me more and more okay with: some pets just aren't for me!

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » August 5th, 2018, 9:10 am

Mehetabel wrote:
FuxieDK wrote:Warmode is no guaranty that you'll earn a single Honor point..

Yes, you level faster (+10% XP), but you need to actually kill <Opposite faction> to gain any honor.
One of my toons levelled on a PvP server, and have 5 honorable kills TOTAL!!
Oh we have every intention of actually pvp'ing when we have warmode on. ;)
Who wil you PvP?
Alliance and Horde level in different continents..

N0083rp00f
Pet Score:12806
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by N0083rp00f » August 11th, 2018, 6:59 pm

Harpooha wrote: it will be easier if you leave your comfort zone and do some actual PvP. I noticed when I did battlegrounds during Legion that I got a lot more prestige than I did by doing dailies. I still stink at PvP and I don't enjoy it. It will just be a matter of swallowing my pride and working on it.
Pardon my french but WHY THE HELL should I swallow anything? :evil:

This is a game that did supply hours of social interaction and FUN.
Does anybody remember FUN?
Dollars to doughnuts that the dev team we have now has no idea what fun is outside of selfalation and ego stroking.
None of them even play the game, and until such time as their lives actually depend on playing and understanding this thing called warcraft, the abuse and outright hostility to normal players will continue.

Only ifl upper management come down hard on them - yeah right, those dollar lampreys - we will continue to be abused by this team of MBAs until Warcraft is dead by mismanagement.

Grnorcsnham
Pet Score:6087
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Grnorcsnham » August 23rd, 2018, 5:03 am

I had been farming the Legion WQs for honor but with the last maintenance Blizzard has reduced the honor by 90%. Evidently they felt it was a mistake to give honor for WQs that could be completed essentially PvE. Although they often flip flop it seems for now they want the PvP rewards to go exclusively to people that PvP. Blizzard has said for years that vanity items aren't necessary... I am forced to agree.

Mastr
MVP
Pet Score:14016
Realm:Burning Blade-us

Post by Mastr » August 23rd, 2018, 9:04 am

I saw that reduction too. As a hardcore collector (all of the pets prior to BfA) who doesn't like pvp this may where I step away from the game. I resented all the pvp I had to do last expansion and now its gotten exponentially harder to get those two pvp pets. Farming honor on alts in legion still requires a ton of effort to get to 400, now that honor source is gone.
If I can't catch em all, why bother.

Jodmos
Pet Score:6700
Realm:Bloodhoof-eu

Post by Jodmos » August 23rd, 2018, 5:20 pm

Mastr wrote:I saw that reduction too. As a hardcore collector (all of the pets prior to BfA) who doesn't like pvp this may where I step away from the game. I resented all the pvp I had to do last expansion and now its gotten exponentially harder to get those two pvp pets. Farming honor on alts in legion still requires a ton of effort to get to 400, now that honor source is gone.

I think that's quite a common sentiment among pet collectors. I've already marked the two honour pets as excluded and given how my luck is going with island Expeditions they may be just too much rng for me. I want to feel at least some progress when I'm doing something and knowing a mob drops a pet and killing it is one thing, but we've no idea how pet drops are decided upon in Island Expeditions.

As you say if it's got to the point where it's just not feasible to collect them all why bother.

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » August 23rd, 2018, 10:59 pm

Jodmos wrote:
Mastr wrote:I saw that reduction too. As a hardcore collector (all of the pets prior to BfA) who doesn't like pvp this may where I step away from the game. I resented all the pvp I had to do last expansion and now its gotten exponentially harder to get those two pvp pets. Farming honor on alts in legion still requires a ton of effort to get to 400, now that honor source is gone.

I think that's quite a common sentiment among pet collectors. I've already marked the two honour pets as excluded and given how my luck is going with island Expeditions they may be just too much rng for me. I want to feel at least some progress when I'm doing something and knowing a mob drops a pet and killing it is one thing, but we've no idea how pet drops are decided upon in Island Expeditions.

As you say if it's got to the point where it's just not feasible to collect them all why bother.
the honor pets are annoying but the expedition pets aren't. we literally just started this expansion and will be doing it for 2 years. also the higher level you do them on the drops are better. eventually we will be doing them on mythic and heroic all the time. have a little faith. also you can buy most of them from the ah anyway

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13661
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » August 24th, 2018, 3:24 am

I think Digem has summed this up. We are barely into the expac. We have a looooong time to get all the pets, whether they are from pvp, islands or rep. What kind of boring game would it be if we could get everything in the first couple of weeks? ;)

Mastr
MVP
Pet Score:14016
Realm:Burning Blade-us

Post by Mastr » August 24th, 2018, 8:06 am

I started in vanilla. Getting all the BC pets didn't take that long then I had time for other things like raiding and running dungeons with friends. Being a pet collector used to be a side gig, now its out of reach for all but the most committed.

Nelaphim
Top Rater
Pet Score:9951
Realm:Exodar-us

Post by Nelaphim » August 24th, 2018, 11:01 am

If a player did all of the Legion WQs (3x 300, 4x 500) each day, won one BG (300), one arena (150), and one Brawl (500) each day, plus whatever you got for killing people in the matches, it will still take over two YEARS for a new player to get to 400. Let alone 500.

As someone who did plenty of WQs and PVP in Legion, I am at 220 Honor level. It would have taken me 352 days of doing the WQs and all of the above. Without the WQs, it will take me roughly two years, or the full life of this expansion, of doing all of the above. Not really worth it anymore.

Jodmos

Post by Jodmos » August 24th, 2018, 11:33 am

Digem wrote:
Jodmos wrote:

the honor pets are annoying but the expedition pets aren't. we literally just started this expansion and will be doing it for 2 years. also the higher level you do them on the drops are better. eventually we will be doing them on mythic and heroic all the time. have a little faith. also you can buy most of them from the ah anyway

Buying is pointless as it doesn't count toward the achievement (this may of course be a bug but no point buying at this time)

Jodmos

Post by Jodmos » August 24th, 2018, 11:36 am

Nelaphim wrote:If a player did all of the Legion WQs (3x 300, 4x 500) each day, won one BG (300), one arena (150), and one Brawl (500) each day, plus whatever you got for killing people in the matches, it will still take over two YEARS for a new player to get to 400. Let alone 500.

As someone who did plenty of WQs and PVP in Legion, I am at 220 Honor level. It would have taken me 352 days of doing the WQs and all of the above. Without the WQs, it will take me roughly two years, or the full life of this expansion, of doing all of the above. Not really worth it anymore.
The WQ honour has been reduced to 10% of what it was (30 and 50).

Squeeky
MVP
Pet Score:5952
Realm:Kirin Tor-us

Post by Squeeky » August 30th, 2018, 1:55 pm

The tower nerf seems strange to me, especially for level 110 characters. I was planning on grinding towers on half-a-dozen 110 alts for a year, a vast investment of time, but apparently Blizz don't want me to do that. It shouldn't matter where I spend my time in-game. I know people comment about the honor being "given away free", but a year's slog doesn't seem free to me!

I take heart from the fact that the Dutiful Squire & Gruntling were moved from Prestige 7 (another long grind) to Honor Level 5, so nothing is set in stone forever. In the future there may be another way to grind the honor, or the Honor 400 pets might be made more accessible. *fingers crossed*

Noel
Pet Score:13092
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Noel » September 1st, 2018, 11:41 am

I go 100% OCD and collect the pet...but this one is out of my (crazy) range. The tower nerf really hurt, I was using it to pass the time for the dungeon queue and get honor while I was at it...its clear they don't want us in Legion anymore.

This one might be a good one to mark as "excluded"

Misstic
MVP
Pet Score:6356
Realm:Illidan-us

Post by Misstic » September 3rd, 2018, 3:04 am

DITTO everything you said!!! 100% AGREE! They went too far this time. Between the 400 honor and 28 Island Expedition pets that never drop, It is NOT fun to collect......last expansion was rough enough, but I made it through hoping this expansion would be better! I was seriously hoping the same people in charge of pets last time were not this time, but obviously is it still them or people even worse. Who wants to waste the hours and days in their life doing and even paying for something that is NOT fun!!

MAKE PET COLLECTING FUN BLIZZARD or you will loose a lot of people including vanilla players who have been here since the start. DO NOT FORCE people to do things in the game they hate just to "collect them all" with the thinking that we just don't have to collect those certain pets because for us hardcore players who have given you $1000's over the years, ITS ALL OR NOTHING!!!!

UPDATE: I decided to cancel my subscription. It is done! My hubby can tell me if they fix all the BS with pets in the patch. Otherwise, goodbye and goodluck to you all, Played Wow since Dec 2004.......

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13661
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » September 3rd, 2018, 8:56 am

Misstic wrote:MAKE PET COLLECTING FUN BLIZZARD or you will loose a lot of people including vanilla players who have been here since the start. DO NOT FORCE people to do things in the game they hate just to "collect them all" with the thinking that we just don't have to collect those certain pets because for us hardcore players who have given you $1000's over the years, ITS ALL OR NOTHING!!!!

UPDATE: I decided to cancel my subscription. It is done! My hubby can tell me if they fix all the BS with pets in the patch. Otherwise, goodbye and goodluck to you all, Played Wow since Dec 2004.......
You've quit playing because of TWO pvp pets? :shock:

I'm an all or nothing pet collector too but I'm not going to quit just because two pets are going to take a long time to get and will be a (possibly frustrating) uphill grind and others have low drop rates. It's daunting, I agree, but challenges are good in life. :)