How to collect your Globe Yeti

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Desi
Pet Score:5590
Realm:Dragonblight-us
Re: How to collect your Globe Yeti

Post by Desi » December 16th, 2017, 5:09 pm

Aeolyn wrote:I live out in the middle of nowhere with subpar internet which makes this unobtainable for me. By the time the yeti loads for me it's already been claimed. Why on Earth did they think this was a good distribution method?
It's like Blizzard enjoy trolling us.

This is all I need from this winter veil and I expected to have to go out in the world, do someone fun, get a pet. Nope, instead sit in ironforge possibly waiting for hours camping out and fighting over a low level battle pet that can be easily killed.

I've been taking a break from WoW and playing other (fun) games, and this is why. Absolute stupidity on Blizzard's part.

Emarka
Pet Score:11024
Realm:Bronzebeard-us

Post by Emarka » December 16th, 2017, 6:00 pm

If you have a mouse with a scroll wheel, I strongly suggest creating a /tar Globe Yeti macro and binding it to your mouse wheel up, then binding your mouse wheel down to Interact With Target. Then sit under the christmas tree and just move your wheel up and down quickly for 30~ minutes it takes to spawn - doing this I grabbed mine the instant it spawned, before anyone else could even react.

Jazeel
Pet Score:9583
Realm:Saurfang-us

Post by Jazeel » December 16th, 2017, 7:24 pm

make a macro /tar globe yeti and spam it

Gmanpets
Pet Score:12402
Realm:Icecrown-us

Post by Gmanpets » December 16th, 2017, 7:51 pm

Guessing it goes something like this:

2:55PM - "This is stupid. Blizzard really needs to up the spawn rate. I'm not sure if I'll have time this season to get the yeti."

3:07PM - "Glad I got my yeti. The spawn rate seems fine; people just need to put a little work in."

On a more serious note, this was actually my timetable today. I do think it Blizzard will up the spawn rate, perhaps accelerating it as the holiday moves forward. It does seem odd to limit a season pet in this way.

Dalandius
Pet Score:13306
Realm:Earthen Ring-us

Post by Dalandius » December 16th, 2017, 7:54 pm

Peanutty wrote:Definitely have a /tar macro as well as "interact with" keybind if possible. I got lucky, it spawned almost immediately after I made the macro. That also gives me a spawn timer to pass to friends so they can hopefully get theirs soon.

IMO they really need to shorten the spawn, 30 minutes is unnecessary for something like this. Why make people jump through hoops for something that has a limited season?
Bear in mind the time starts from when the pet is tamed/killed rather than when it spawns.

Khorah
Pet Score:11506
BattleTag®:Khorah#1833
Realm:Medivh-us

Post by Khorah » December 16th, 2017, 9:14 pm

I am REALLY hoping I can log in during the day this week and grab one without too much hassle..
But.. yeah Blizz.. do you guys not take notes about these things and learn from the AQ debacle with those spawns?? Apparently not :cry:

Shashos
Pet Score:13727
Realm:Doomhammer-us

Post by Shashos » December 16th, 2017, 11:11 pm

The people spamming AoE's to troll pet collectors are seriously scum of the earth. I quite simply don't understand why Blizzard didn't at the very least make these little guys unkillable. With a half hour spawn timer, only one per spawn, and the ability to be trolled by jerks over and over, this pet is going to be pretty rare this year.

Something tells me this is intentional though. That whole 'exclusivity' deal. At least the pet from the Molten Core anniversary event was cageable.

GrosBonda
Pet Score:10429
BattleTag®:Grosbonda#1406
Realm:Arygos-us

Post by GrosBonda » December 17th, 2017, 1:38 am

i do believe there is a Hotfix on his way to fix that mess...... cannot be.
either lower spawn time, make it unlikllable.... or completly change the distribution method....
Blizz cannot be so....

Desi
Pet Score:5590
Realm:Dragonblight-us

Post by Desi » December 17th, 2017, 2:03 am

Shashos wrote:The people spamming AoE's to troll pet collectors are seriously scum of the earth. I quite simply don't understand why Blizzard didn't at the very least make these little guys unkillable. With a half hour spawn timer, only one per spawn, and the ability to be trolled by jerks over and over, this pet is going to be pretty rare this year.

Something tells me this is intentional though. That whole 'exclusivity' deal. At least the pet from the Molten Core anniversary event was cageable.
I logged in again to try for the pet, to see someone spamming AOE.

Anyone with a few brain cells to rub together could work out that this would make this an impossible pet to get. Time to start voting with my wallet and cancelling my sub.

Jrowland11
Top Rater
Pet Score:10214
BattleTag®:Merin#1970
Realm:Baelgun-us

Post by Jrowland11 » December 17th, 2017, 6:09 am

Gmanpets wrote:Guessing it goes something like this:

2:55PM - "This is stupid. Blizzard really needs to up the spawn rate. I'm not sure if I'll have time this season to get the yeti."

3:07PM - "Glad I got my yeti. The spawn rate seems fine; people just need to put a little work in."

On a more serious note, this was actually my timetable today. I do think it Blizzard will up the spawn rate, perhaps accelerating it as the holiday moves forward. It does seem odd to limit a season pet in this way.
I was lucky enough to get in on the first spot when the Holiday started on my server, but I would still say the spawn rate is crazy low (Especially with the Devil known as CRZ in place... Combined realms good, CRZ Horrible and pointless). Unless of course, it's Blizzard trolling us in the first half of the Holiday, then on Christmas when the presents open for the second half the spawn rate shoots up.

Peterc
Pet Score:5382
Realm:Outland-eu

Post by Peterc » December 17th, 2017, 7:10 am

Just rejoice in the fact that we are getting a battle pet by using pet battling!

Having a pet with a limited spawn window each year and a limited spawn rate does not seem like trolling to me. it shouldn't be killable by players imo but hopefully that was a deliberate decision by Blizzard not an oversight (if it was an oversight please fix).

Having the above it would not surprise me if they either increase the spawn rate generally or do sometng on/after Christmas to make it easier to get.

I got mine yesterday after a number of hours and cannot recommend enough the combination of /tar macro and interact with target bound key.

Rrockw
MVP
Pet Score:5995
Realm:Shadowsong-us

Post by Rrockw » December 17th, 2017, 7:48 am

I would strongly recommend using keybind for interact with target as well as the macro. Hope your fingers don't get to worn out :D

Yarl
Pet Score:5773
Realm:Bleeding Hollow-us

Post by Yarl » December 17th, 2017, 9:13 am

I got mine on an RP realm

Nobody was there

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » December 17th, 2017, 12:33 pm

Good thing, pets are not bound to toons/servers :)
You can always make a level 1 toon on an empty server..

I camped for 24 minutes with a target macro and interact with target keybind..

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » December 17th, 2017, 1:37 pm

I was going to log out, so I went to IF to see.

On a Medium/High server at 18:00, I waited almost 15 minutes in the globe ALONE. When the Yeti spawned I had to say so to the people around before someone got in and tamed him.

Experiences obviously vary.

Thupid
Top Rater
Pet Score:9552
Realm:Quel'dorei-us

Post by Thupid » December 17th, 2017, 5:27 pm

Got mine in about 15 min of goofing around, even with people hiding under the tree. Was a P/B breed.

Harpooha
MVP
Pet Score:13136
Realm:Aggramar-us

Post by Harpooha » December 17th, 2017, 7:41 pm

I captured mine on a Brazilian server.

If you are having trouble with this, I'd suggest creating characters on some other servers. Use the Oceanic servers if you can't be on late night. The Latin America and Brazil servers are also options.

The other good thing about this is you can go back and forth between servers rather than just wait for it to spawn. It might spawn at 15 after the hour on one server and 8 after the hour on another.

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » December 17th, 2017, 11:09 pm

More on the habits of the Globe Yeti.

The Globe Yeti appears to share some DNA with the Groundhog. It peeks out, then retreats back into its den.

I tried 5 realms at 04:00-04:30 server time. Big ones and small ones, IF and Org. Magtheridon & Earthen Ring IF, Kilrogg and Draenor Horde. Finally I tried Stormscale Horde.

In all cases, I was the only person in the globe.

And yet there was no Yeti.

So I waited. On Stormscale Orgrimmar. One of the biggest EU Horde realms. Alone.

Eventually, 8 minutes past the half-hour, the Yeti spawned, ran around 4 or 5 times, then ran back under the tree and despawned. It did not reappear in the couple of minutes I waited further.

So if no-one catches the Yeti within about a minute, it's gone until the next spawn.

P.S. The Yeti now has a green pet paw above him. I would have sworn he didn't when I captured him, but I could have been mistaken.

https://imgur.com/a/T82BH

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13928
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » December 17th, 2017, 11:37 pm

Gráinne wrote:More on the habits of the Globe Yeti.

The Globe Yeti appears to share some DNA with the Groundhog. It peeks out, then retreats back into its den.

I tried 5 realms at 04:00-04:30 server time. Big ones and small ones, IF and Org. Magtheridon & Earthen Ring IF, Kilrogg and Draenor Horde. Finally I tried Stormscale Horde.

In all cases, I was the only person in the globe.

And yet there was no Yeti.

So I waited. On Stormscale Orgrimmar. One of the biggest EU Horde realms. Alone.

Eventually, 8 minutes past the half-hour, the Yeti spawned, ran around 4 or 5 times, then ran back under the tree and despawned. It did not reappear in the couple of minutes I waited further.

So if no-one catches the Yeti within about a minute, it's gone until the next spawn.

P.S. The Yeti now has a green pet paw above him. I would have sworn he didn't when I captured him, but I could have been mistaken.

Thanks for testing this Gráinne!

I don't remember a green paw print above its head when I captured mine either. If that's changed, I can't help but wonder if other things about the spawning of this pet have changed (since the start of the event) too.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

GrosBonda
Pet Score:10429
BattleTag®:Grosbonda#1406
Realm:Arygos-us

Post by GrosBonda » December 18th, 2017, 8:51 am

Quintessence wrote:
Gráinne wrote: P.S. The Yeti now has a green pet paw above him. I would have sworn he didn't when I captured him, but I could have been mistaken.

Thanks for testing this Gráinne!

I don't remember a green paw print above its head when I captured mine either. If that's changed, I can't help but wonder if other things about the spawning of this pet have changed (since the start of the event) too.
I can answer this question.
I capture mine on the 16 and the green paw was already there