You've collected 0 pets

Too many pets

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Jazeel

Pet Score: 5585
Realm: Saurfang-US

Too many pets

Postby Jazeel » December 1st, 2017, 9:12 pm

I know this might sound like heresy, but i think we have hit pet overload, ask yourself, how often do you summon a pet apart from levelling it?, going forward i would rather see a few pets with unique looks, and maybe a few new abilities, all my toons have a fave pet that matches their transmog/class/spec, though i am sure the developers can invent more i think that its time for pets to become rare and special going forward.

Ganksinatra

Pet Score: 4539
Realm: Alterac Mountains-US

Re: Too many pets

Postby Ganksinatra » December 2nd, 2017, 6:38 am

Disagree 100%, keep'em coming blizz!

Dalandius

Pet Score: 5560
Realm: Earthen Ring-US

Postby Dalandius » December 2nd, 2017, 9:56 am

For me there are too many pets you can not get if you started collecting them when pet battles came into the game.

Peanutty

Pet Score: 5553
Realm: Kil'jaeden-US

Postby Peanutty » December 2nd, 2017, 5:20 pm

Heresy! There can never be too many pets! (Ok, for a newer player or someone new to pet battling, it probably does seem overwhelming...)

I did like the idea that someone posted recently about having rarer colors/skins on some wild pets to add a twist to collecting. I think that would be a super fun way to give hardcore collectors something extra to do, without increasing the sheer amount of pets to get, for those who don't want to bother with it.

Ranok
MVP

Pet Score: 5402
Realm: Undermine-US

Postby Ranok » December 3rd, 2017, 2:06 am

They're tapping into basic Collector urge so many of us have. And also the gotta-catch-'em-all that came with Pokémon. We all have OCD-lite and want to collect stuff. Mine has been helped by Legion, and all of the pets that are way too hard or time-consuming for me to even think about getting.

Suspect Blizzard originally introduced pet battles as maybe an experiment. But learned that lots of players got into it, and more importantly kept sending them 15 bucks every month. Has become major activity while we're killing time between expansions.

Paladance

Pet Score: 4708
Realm: Burning Legion-EU

Postby Paladance » December 3rd, 2017, 6:17 am

I'd say that there are not too many pets ever, but too many pets that are snowclones of other pets in appearance, performance or both.

Rabbits, roaches, cats and pre-Timeless Isle moths are the most obvious culprits but even less rife repetitions such as otters/civets or bandicoons are getting stale pretty fast.

Shashos

Pet Score: 5489
Realm: Doomhammer-US

Postby Shashos » December 3rd, 2017, 5:22 pm

Never too many for me!

If I had the money right now, I'd seriously consider setting up a new Bnet account just so I could collect all the pets again. I enjoyed the journey to where I am collection-wise greatly and would love to do it once more.

I do agree with one thing said above. I'd love to see less reuse of models and more unique/original looking pets. I was so disappointed that the new Cross Gazer pet wasn't the derpy Durumu model, but the old generic Willy one :)

Gráinne

Pet Score: 5338
Realm: Magtheridon-EU

Postby Gráinne » December 3rd, 2017, 6:22 pm

Too many pets?
Too many? pets
Too? many? pets?
Pets many too?
Many Too Pets?

Sorry, I know each of the words, but I can't put them together in an order that makes sense. :)
Shashos wrote:I enjoyed the journey to where I am collection-wise greatly and would love to do it once more.

Me too. I wish I could forget everything I know and start again. I even at one point considered releasing everything, but I did a Great Cull once, when I was refining my roster to level everything and get/keep the breeds I wanted, and that was enough pet trauma for one lifetime.

It probably isn't the same experience now, with all the catch-up mechanisms operating on full steroids, but it was truly great back in Mists.

Revmrblacktn

Pet Score: 4093
BattleTag®: mousemanic#1251
Realm: Dragonblight-US

Postby Revmrblacktn » December 4th, 2017, 10:53 am

I agree with the posts about the fun of pet collecting. I have been playing about 2.5 years and have very much enjoyed the journey of collecting the pets and would like to do it again, but I know it wouldn't be the same. New pets mean more game play for me.

Griselda

Pet Score: 2813
Realm: Tichondrius-US

Postby Griselda » December 4th, 2017, 1:07 pm

I have to agree with the majority---you can never have or collect TOO many battle pets.

However, with the constant addition of new ones to collect the only "gripe" I have is the fact that ones from rewards, quests, vendors, etc all start at level 1. I wish the rare pets we achieved through achievements or bought from vendors (either from rep or holiday, etc)--those should arguably start higher than level 1.

I tend to capture a lot of pets I personally find cute in the wild since they only need 2 or 3 levels before they are maxed. The majority of my level 25 collection that I battle with are wild pets. I would like to have more pets that I "worked" for (so to speak) either ones I collected from vendors or quests, etc start at something higher than just level 1. That's my ONLY "wish", about this whole thing.

Peanutty

Pet Score: 5553
Realm: Kil'jaeden-US

Postby Peanutty » December 4th, 2017, 2:45 pm

Gráinne wrote:Me too. I wish I could forget everything I know and start again. I even at one point considered releasing everything, but I did a Great Cull once, when I was refining my roster to level everything and get/keep the breeds I wanted, and that was enough pet trauma for one lifetime.

It probably isn't the same experience now, with all the catch-up mechanisms operating on full steroids, but it was truly great back in Mists.

Ahh, I too did a mass cull back in the day, when it finally hit me that having 10 different types of rabbits in S/S wasn't always the way to go, and that maybe a P/P Nexus Whelpling really did make a difference. The hard part for me is I had been actively leveling my collection and had mostly rares... to let go of that many leveled, rare pets felt like a massive setback, but I did it because I knew it would only get harder if I put it off.

Mehetabel
Top Rater

Pet Score: 5640
Realm: Lightbringer-EU

Postby Mehetabel » December 6th, 2017, 7:47 am

No such thing as too many pets! :D

Kalium
Top Rater

Pet Score: 5490
Realm: Baelgun-US

Postby Kalium » December 8th, 2017, 9:09 am

Paladance wrote:I'd say that there are not too many pets ever, but too many pets that are snowclones of other pets in appearance, performance or both.

Rabbits, roaches, cats and pre-Timeless Isle moths are the most obvious culprits but even less rife repetitions such as otters/civets or bandicoons are getting stale pretty fast.

I can agree with this. I feel a pass needs to go through some of the older wild pets and change up abilities or breeds or something to make the pets distinct from one another. Look at snakes... other than color what's the difference for the vast majority of them? 22 snakes have the exact same moveset... only 1 has a different model. At this point it's wishful thinking but I hold out hope that something like this could happen in the future.

Prairiehamster

Pet Score: 3090
Realm: Scarlet Crusade-US

Postby Prairiehamster » December 10th, 2017, 2:53 am

No no. We finally got a draenei little girl pet (perfect to be a little sister for my paladin draenei) which means we need to keep going until there's a nelf kid for my druid's sister/brother!

That said, unless the bunnies start coming in bright blue or on fire, there might be a few too many of them.

Return to Pet Collecting