Wow what happened to the rankings?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Jmbruni
Pet Score:4638
Realm:Blade's Edge-us
Wow what happened to the rankings?

Post by Jmbruni » November 4th, 2017, 11:09 pm

I went from 49th on realm to 98th in one day? My friend went from 28th to 79th? I doubt there were 50 pet collector realm transfers... Is there something new about calculations or something? Yikes!!!

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Re: Wow what happened to the rankings?

Post by Jerebear » November 4th, 2017, 11:18 pm

Jmbruni wrote:I went from 49th on realm to 98th in one day? My friend went from 28th to 79th? I doubt there were 50 pet collector realm transfers... Is there something new about calculations or something? Yikes!!!
They reflect connected realms now. There is a thread in the Site Bugs and Suggestions Forum on it if you need better details.

EDIT: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14603
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Jmbruni
Pet Score:4638
Realm:Blade's Edge-us

Post by Jmbruni » November 5th, 2017, 3:14 am

Yanno - I should really read all the news before I panic and lose it. I thought the old numbers were the totals of the connected realms - OOPS! A bummer and yet it's not - I do, however, have a lot of work to do!

Thanks for this site and all the work everyone does to make it great!

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » November 6th, 2017, 2:38 am

I went from #9 to #2..

Very strange, as my server isn't connected to any other..

Uduwudu
Pet Score:11571
Realm:Draka-us

Post by Uduwudu » November 6th, 2017, 8:10 pm

Hi,

Yeah, I went from #9 to #32 ... oh well ... the realms are not really connected anyway ... it's all VR and "realms" are not separate servers/computers as they were many years ago, in the days of Everquest. On any given "server" right now, there could be several "realms" together, and no one would know the difference, I don't think.

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13661
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » November 7th, 2017, 6:25 am

I might be a little guilty of asking for this change. A lot. :oops:

For several reasons. For absolutely ages Wowprogress has shown connected realms in all their rankings, from raid progression to pet collecting. I use Wowprogress as well as WCP to check my pet collecting competition out and it always felt like wowprogress was more accurate because of that. I also have pet collecting guildies across my connected realms and it was annoying that we were on different lists as we like to compare our collections. I love that they are now the same, even though I got bumped out of 1st place on WCP (which I expected as that is the case on wowprogress).

It's made me super motivated now though. I WILL catch up! ;)

Uduwudu wrote:the realms are not really connected anyway
There are some differences between connected realms and CRZ though. Characters on connected realms can join a single guild, for example. That isn't possible for CRZ players.

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » November 7th, 2017, 7:03 am

Shouldn't the rankings go by region anyway? The old system of ranking by realm only made sense when pet collections were character-specific. Now that the collections are account-wide and anyone can create a character on any other realm in their region, isn't ranking people by realm a bit meaningless? Apologies if I'm missing something obvious.

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13661
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » November 7th, 2017, 9:09 am

Graven wrote:Shouldn't the rankings go by region anyway? The old system of ranking by realm only made sense when pet collections were character-specific. Now that the collections are account-wide and anyone can create a character on any other realm in their region, isn't ranking people by realm a bit meaningless? Apologies if I'm missing something obvious.
Yes and no. If you are talking about WCP, then people usually make the account for their main char and would probably change it if they started playing another char on a different server (I know I would) as they'd want to see their progress in relation to the the main server group they are playing on (who cares about the pet rankings on a server when you have some char that you haven't played in X years, right?). From that point of view, the WCP realm rankings are probably fairly accurate (allowing for the fact that people have to manually register and update their collections).

As far as other ranking sites go, for example Wowprogress, then it's possibly even more accurate, particularly at the start of an expac. Wowprogress uses software that crawls guilds on the armoury for achievements and collections and these will get updated automatically. I think it allocates a "main" char for you based on gear level, which 9 times out of 10 will be correct as most people would have the best gear on their main. These rankings will obviously show more people as no one has to manually make an account. It might be lacking with the automatic scan when it comes to unguilded players but then they also have the option to manually add themselves.

TL;DR I think that realms/connected realms are still relevant and most rankings sites are probably fairly accurate and showing a players current main char.

Ziboo
MVP
Pet Score:11384
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Ziboo » November 12th, 2017, 12:30 am

WoWProgress.com is pretty different at least for WyA server. I'm "assuming" as people have to sign up here and there it's updated differently.

Interesting. I hadn't realized WoWprogress was tracking the info for battle pets. Thanks for sharing that.