PvP Prestige pets can be bought on opposite faction

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Solana
Top Rater
Re: PvP Prestige pets can be bought on opposite faction

Post by Solana » September 1st, 2017, 4:36 pm

Selfish? I am selfish? They are screwing people who completed both grinds; not sure why you think that makes me selfish for pointing out the obvious. Blizzard didn't think it was broken implementation when both grinds went to live and stayed on live servers for a year before undocumented changes were made. I could argue you think this change being "the right thing" makes you a selfish person. At any rate, I chose to do it because the fate of prestige rewards have yet (one year into the expansion) to be determined and I did not want to miss out on getting a pet that may or may not be removed down the line. I am far from the only one who participated in the grind of both prestige levels and this remains a very inconsiderate change to those of us who put in the effort. If the requirements were as unfair as you make them out to be changes should have been made 6 (or more) months ago to rectify the issue. Something like a Feat of Strength acknowledging the work before the change would have been welcome.

Saviya
Pet Score:11609
BattleTag®:Saviya#1875
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Saviya » September 1st, 2017, 5:27 pm

Thank you so much for posting about this! Got my alliance enthusiast yesterday :D

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13928
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » September 1st, 2017, 6:35 pm

There are a lot of passionate opinions about this change, and the change impacts each collector differently -- good or bad is subjective. Let's keep the discussion friendly.

Personally, I am glad for the change. The more players collecting, the better. Plus those that started Legion later will stand a better chance at catching up on collecting these companions.

I'm in the same boat as a few others - leveled up two characters and was Prestiging on both when this change happened. An earlier notice/announcement from Blizzard would have been appreciated to avoid "wasting time" for some. Then again, I'm not really torn up about lost time regarding these companions - I did what I could at the time with the knowledge that I had. Such is life.

I would not have objected to the pets being sold for Marks of Honor (something like 25-50 Marks per pet you've already earned on one faction), and I'm actually kind of surprised that this is not the case. It would have felt less like a "freebie" to both those that earned the 4 Prestige pets the original way, and those that are still working on Prestiging.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Dalandius
Pet Score:13306
Realm:Earthen Ring-us

Post by Dalandius » September 1st, 2017, 8:54 pm

I think part of the anger people are feeling is the no notice and the undocumented way they choose to bring it in.

I was feeling rather good got all the pets from both factions only to find out 5 days later I did not need to have done both sides
to get the pets :/

Vhale
MVP
Pet Score:10441
Realm:Durotan-us

Post by Vhale » September 1st, 2017, 11:08 pm

Sometimes I think someone just sneaks in a change and once it goes live, that's it. Supposedly according to wow progress less than 5% of wow is over prestige 5. So they may be trying to draw people in as they seem to be about numbers now. The titles are still locked to a single character at this time. A feat of Strength and/or a token to buy one of the combatant mounts would have been appropriate.

Petals
Pet Score:11381
Realm:Lightbringer-us

Post by Petals » September 2nd, 2017, 2:56 am

As someone who is over P18 right now... I am so thankful for this change.

Lettuce hope that they do something similar for the artifact appearances.

I wouldn't wish this grind on my worst enemies -_-.

Nagini
Top Rater
Pet Score:9683
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Post by Nagini » September 2nd, 2017, 4:16 am

Thanks for the post! picked up my horde pets without issue :) (allaince main is prestige 9 atm).

Xnedra
Pet Score:8814
Realm:Anachronos-eu

Post by Xnedra » September 2nd, 2017, 5:36 am

I am so angry! Just leveled my horde to prestige 5 for nothing. All that time wasted! :evil:

Mastr
MVP
Pet Score:14016
Realm:Burning Blade-us

Post by Mastr » September 2nd, 2017, 4:13 pm

This is so disheartening.
I faction changed a druid, leveled him up, geared him up and frantically did the PVP world quests and battlegrounds just to get an alliance copy of a pet that can now be bought with gold. I was afraid the pet would be taken away with the next expansion and wanted to make certain I had it. I spent over 10 days of play time just to get one pet. It wasn't fun, I don't like pvp and was doing all the WQ on my main at the same time.
10 days...
That's 6 weeks of a full time job at 40 hours per week.
This grind was one of the worst.
I wish the designers would fully think these things through.

Maylenne
Pet Score:6326
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Maylenne » September 2nd, 2017, 5:10 pm

Thanks for this post! Just got my alliance enthousiast pet :D

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » September 2nd, 2017, 7:20 pm

Mastr wrote: I wish the designers would fully think these things through.
They did. That's why they fixed it by doing this.

Mastr
MVP
Pet Score:14016
Realm:Burning Blade-us

Post by Mastr » September 2nd, 2017, 10:29 pm

I wish they would think them through before they go live and not months after.

Ryazan
MVP
Pet Score:13560
Realm:Ragnaros-eu

Post by Ryazan » September 3rd, 2017, 10:21 am

Mastr wrote:I wish they would think them through before they go live and not months after.
^ this.
- Taking your candles since 2005

Gilneas
Top Rater

Post by Gilneas » September 3rd, 2017, 7:04 pm

Making a mistake as they did originally also doesn't mean they didn't think it through. People say that too much about things they don't personally like, but it's an impossible claim to support.

It is far better to make the correction than just leave it as it is because some small number of people are going to complain (over something that ultimately has no impact on them -- we are too often wrapped up in what others have and/or how they got it. I have my pet collection and it is of absolutely zero relevance to everyone else despite being very important to me. Someone else getting some pets I have more easily or more quickly -- and there are certainly many cases of it through the years given all the variables -- has no impact on me at all, and I have no right to complain about it).

Kiella
Pet Score:13842
BattleTag®:Elena#1284
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Kiella » September 4th, 2017, 1:52 am

Gilneas wrote:It is far better to make the correction than just leave it as it is because some small number of people are going to complain (over something that ultimately has no impact on them -- we are too often wrapped up in what others have and/or how they got it. I have my pet collection and it is of absolutely zero relevance to everyone else despite being very important to me. Someone else getting some pets I have more easily or more quickly -- and there are certainly many cases of it through the years given all the variables -- has no impact on me at all, and I have no right to complain about it).
Without getting into the substance of your argument, let me just point out the irony of this post on a site that ranks pet collections ;)

Solana
Top Rater

Post by Solana » September 5th, 2017, 12:37 am

Gilneas wrote:It is far better to make the correction than just leave it as it is because some small number of people are going to complain (over something that ultimately has no impact on them -- we are too often wrapped up in what others have and/or how they got it.
It does have an impact on those who did the grind. It means we wasted a lot of our time, effort and energy getting something other people were later given for a few gold.

Also, I highly doubt the double prestige grind was a "mistake" knowingly or otherwise. It made it through alpha, beta and then stayed on live servers for an entire year before a change was made. Then they sneakily slipped in the change without documenting it in the patch notes. In fairness, if a change was going to be made it should have been made months ago. Or, at the very least, some communication from Blizzard regarding the possible intent of a change would have been sufficient enough. The amount of time this remained in the game misled many people to believe they were going to have to do the double grind or they were not going to be able to get both pets. I am dumbfounded as to why they chose to make this change now, especially without rewarding the people who took the time to do it as it was intended with something like a Feat of Strength.

You seem intent on arguing with people who did complete the double grind. According to your armory, you have yet to complete either grind so you I have no idea why you feel compelled on argue with others about this change as you are one of the ones who will clearly benefit from it if and when you decide to finally start grinding prestige levels. I venture to guess you would be one unhappy person (like the rest of us) if you were one of the people who were thrown under the bus by this change.

Nagini
Top Rater
Pet Score:9683
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Post by Nagini » September 5th, 2017, 2:46 am

I think everyone can agree allowing these pets to be bought is a change for the better, even though it must sting for those who went to the trouble of reaching prestige on opposite faction alts.
I think it's less of a mistake/thoughtlessness on blizzards part, but rather a change in how they view PvP rewards as a whole. PvP rewards were for a long time bound only to the character you've earned them on; titles, mounts, etc. Recently Blizzard has started changing this, allowing you to use these mounts accountwide, and even giving you the horde counterpart when you have the alliance version unlocked. I see the pet vendor as a continuation of this, were blizzard is making it easier to "collect them all" rather than gating things behing 'faction pride'.

Vhale
MVP
Pet Score:10441
Realm:Durotan-us

Post by Vhale » September 5th, 2017, 11:22 am

Neolarva wrote:I lvled my ally alt, started prestige farming, I wasn't 7 on my all yet (I've done half) / I'm 13 on my main. I was going to get the pet, I wanted it, and we all know how blizzard is.

One day : we'll never put account wide the vicious mount.
Another day : we'll put account wide the vicious mount but you won't have the other faction ones.
Later : vicious mount account wide all faction.

MoP : we put this challenge mode pet sold by the guild vendor.
=> WoD : we removed this challenge mode pet sold by the guild vendor.
WoD : we put this other challenge mode pet sold by the guild vendor.
=> Legion : you can keep this challenge mode pet sold by the guild vendor.

You can't predict shit with them.

So as always, I play it safe. I farm things I don't like to get what I want, if we don't have a 100% knowledge of what will happen to it. atm Prestige next xpac is a big mystery (easier / gone / new rewards?), and not farming the 7 lvl on the other faction was a mistake I wasn't going to make.

But we all know today, it won't be necessary to finish the grind. An annoucement would have been nice (lol... like we would get one...) but even if we farmed all / half / less / none of the prestige on the other faction and did it for nothing, don't be selfish, it's a good day overall, this grind was dumb.
This is probably the best summary I"ve seen of it.

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » September 5th, 2017, 12:10 pm

Nagini wrote:I think it's less of a mistake/thoughtlessness on blizzards part, but rather a change in how they view PvP rewards as a whole. PvP rewards were for a long time bound only to the character you've earned them on; titles, mounts, etc. Recently Blizzard has started changing this, allowing you to use these mounts accountwide, and even giving you the horde counterpart when you have the alliance version unlocked. I see the pet vendor as a continuation of this, were blizzard is making it easier to "collect them all" rather than gating things behing 'faction pride'.
Yeah, but y'know, we were suggested not so long ago that our class hall pets go in the opposite direction.

That is not to undermine your approach, but to express how a number of decisions separate in time and context not only just give mixed signals, they give an impression of the originators unable to represent a firm stance.

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Gilneas
Top Rater

Post by Gilneas » September 5th, 2017, 12:36 pm

The class hall pets are not a good comparison. They were made substantially easier before they were released and now again with Argus AK. The "grind" there is both shorter and much more typical of what you expect from pets in terms of activities.

Comparing the two isn't close enough to try to prove some sort of ill-thought inconsistency.

This is really the completely reasonable solution that anyone who was being unbiased and honest should have expected more or less. And it is perfectly ok. Someone getting a pet more "easily" has absolutely no impact on others who have the pet.