Sun Darter Hatchling solved

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13661
Realm:Lightbringer-eu
Re: Sun Darter Hatchling solved (apparently)

Post by Mehetabel » June 17th, 2017, 6:30 am

Drudatz wrote:On my small realm you NEVER get any of these potions or recipes (let alone finding someone still playing who can make these) that have a 0.4%!!!! drop rate....
Honestly, the drops aren't "that" bad. I farmed the Arcane one yesterday, as it was the only one I couldn't either make or get a guildie to make, and I don't think it took more than a hundred mobs or so. :)

Finnelis
Pet Score:9316
Realm:Kirin Tor-eu

Post by Finnelis » June 17th, 2017, 7:39 am

Mehetabel wrote:
Drudatz wrote:On my small realm you NEVER get any of these potions or recipes (let alone finding someone still playing who can make these) that have a 0.4%!!!! drop rate....
Honestly, the drops aren't "that" bad. I farmed the Arcane one yesterday, as it was the only one I couldn't either make or get a guildie to make, and I don't think it took more than a hundred mobs or so. :)
Just got the pet, I had to farm all 6 potions for that and it certainly took a bit of time (a few hours) but nothing too horrible (compared to say, mount farming). The drop rates are higher than reported on wowhead.

Besides, I'm sure I'm not the only one to have done that so there should be an afflux of potions on the AH in the next few days that will make prices drop (if you can wait that long).

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » June 17th, 2017, 1:19 pm

Drudatz wrote:I have nothing against ridles for pets but this is just another FUCK UP of Blizzard.

On my small realm you NEVER get any of these potions or recipes (let alone finding someone still playing who can make these) that have a 0.4%!!!! drop rate....
Don't be discouraged man. If your realm is that quiet, you can farm the recipes yourself eventually. As others have said, the 0.4% droprate includes non-alchemists, so the actual drop rate is higher than that. I'm on a very busy realm and I farmed 4/6 of the recipes today in just a few hours. Currently working on Cenarion Expedition rep to buy the nature one. Apart from the protection potions, everything else is pretty easy to obtain.

Plus, the pet itself is cageable, so if you really don't want to farm you can just sell spare pets on another more populated realm to raise the gold to buy it.

Honestly, I think this is a great example of them getting it right. It's not trivial to acquire the pet but it is tradeable, so those who don't want to put in the effort can lay out some gold instead.

Peterc
Pet Score:5382
Realm:Outland-eu

Post by Peterc » June 17th, 2017, 2:09 pm

Got my Sun Dater Hatchling today - always amazes me how bad I am at reading/following instructions - ended back at the start of the cave a number of times, but managed it without have to use any items more than once.

Blown away at the prices being charged for mats, but wasn't high enough to make me farm them myself :)

Peterc

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » June 17th, 2017, 4:56 pm

Drudatz wrote:The Major ... Protection Potions CANT be grabbed of the AH they are BOP mate.
Check your information. You're looking at the wrong thing.

I had one of the recipes, picked up 3 more of the recipes this evening, need still 2 - but those two were HEAVILY camped. I'll go back when the fuss quiets down. But the crafted pots are tradeable, see for example

http://www.wowhead.com/item=22845/major-arcane-protection-potion
Drudatz wrote:On my small realm you NEVER get any of these potions or recipes
See potion prices on your realm, like
https://theunderminejournal.com/#eu/kul-tiras/item/22842
https://theunderminejournal.com/#eu/kul-tiras/item/22845

I must say, I found it a fun treasure hunt. I could buy the two remaining pots, but it's more satisfying to learn all the recipes and make them myself, so I'll do that in the next couple of days.

Great job, Blizzard! And my respects to the people who worked it all out!
Last edited by Gráinne on June 17th, 2017, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13661
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » June 17th, 2017, 4:58 pm

Got my little guy tonight and, please excuse the shouting but I feel very strongly that THIS WAS THE MOST FUN I'VE EVER HAD GETTING A PET!! :D :D

Something so different, usual and fun! Well done Blizzard. :D

Milotha
Top Rater
Pet Score:5471
BattleTag®:milotha#1158
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Milotha » June 17th, 2017, 5:09 pm

Gráinne wrote:
Drudatz wrote:The Major ... Protection Potions CANT be grabbed of the AH they are BOP mate.
Check your information. You're looking at the wrong thing.!
The quote he was replying to (see below) was referring to the potion recipes, which are BOP, so he could not have picked them up off the AH. It's been so long is easy to forget where you got this stuff.
Shashos wrote: Makes me so glad that I used to spend loads of time lurking on the AH and snapping up any recipe I didn't own on my alts, hehe.
Now to start crafting these items and get my pet! I love this. Finally the old profession items have a purpose. :)
Potion Recipes - BOP
Potions - Tradeble

In case anyone was confused and was looking on the AH for the recipes.

Gráinne

Post by Gráinne » June 17th, 2017, 5:17 pm

I wonder if the higher level protection potions, the Mighty ones like Mighty Arcane Protection Potion would work?

http://www.wowhead.com/item=44564/recipe-mighty-arcane-protection-potion

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » June 17th, 2017, 5:20 pm

Gráinne wrote:I wonder if the higher level protection potions, the Mighty ones like Mighty Arcane Protection Potion would work?

I was wondering that as well... I might try testing that, when I finally get around to gathering all the materials needed for everything involved in this chain.

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » June 17th, 2017, 6:15 pm

So after hours of farming if anyone needs the potions on Ana/Alonsus/KT (EU) I can make all 6 now....

Nelaphim
Top Rater
Pet Score:9951
Realm:Exodar-us

Post by Nelaphim » June 17th, 2017, 7:00 pm

Weirdly, it is flagged as a CRITTER, but it's description says it is a DRAGON.

Shashos
Pet Score:13727
Realm:Doomhammer-us

Post by Shashos » June 17th, 2017, 10:52 pm

Got mine about an hour ago!

This was a ton of fun. Bit dicey at the end as I kept mucking up and getting ported back, but I did it. Whew. Really pleased to have the pet. I adore it. :)

Gráinne

Post by Gráinne » June 18th, 2017, 1:13 am

Yes, there's an update to the Wowhead post warning about being ported back if you jump down into the water right beside the plaque. So follow the edge of the water downslope a few steps forward and to the right, to where the path meets the water.

It happened to me first time, as well, because I hadn't read that. And - eeeeeek! - my heart sank. :o

Muffinus had mercy on us poor wretches, though, because when you get ported back, you keep all the buffs you have accumulated, including the one you got from the Ogre-stone and the one you got from the puzzle-box, so you don't have to use any of your items again, or make the detours to acquire Sign of the First or Sign of the Second.

So it all ended happily!

Once I had farmed the recipes, it was a delightful trip!

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » June 18th, 2017, 1:48 am

Peanutty wrote:
Gráinne wrote:I wonder if the higher level protection potions, the Mighty ones like Mighty Arcane Protection Potion would work?

I was wondering that as well... I might try testing that, when I finally get around to gathering all the materials needed for everything involved in this chain.
I'd like to know this aswell.
There are classic protection potions aswell, such as Fire PP and Greater Fire PP. These applied before TBC of course, but I'm not sure if it matters at all.

Do you think that regarding trading between people, exchanging a potion of one school for another (e.g. Arcane for Frost) would work?

The Critter type is definitely a bug, perhaps on PTR it was a raccoon kit or something.

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Milotha
Top Rater

Post by Milotha » June 18th, 2017, 3:13 am

I got him too. Just a note to anyone. Do not jump down anything or you will get ported out. I got ported out when I hoped down to the grate entrance. Then I got ported out when I jumped down at the final step to the water. Go past the pillar on the right all the way to the edge. Make sure it is a jump free transition onto the water.

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » June 18th, 2017, 7:38 am

At least on my quite high-pop server the market starts to break apart.

I've been selling random mats with mild, but noticeable discounts and yet noticed the offers being undercut rather than bought out.

The prices for stuff of seemingly the same range vary too greatly to call it balanced. While a higher price for MNPP is reasonable, the other ones vary from 900g to 4k. What confuses me is that they have no connection with availability and market price of primal elements. :?

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Jazeel
Pet Score:9583
Realm:Saurfang-us

Post by Jazeel » June 18th, 2017, 8:36 am

i had my first go at this just before, a mate made the pots, i supplied the primals, got to the water room and slid into the pool going for the water stone, insta fail sadly, farming mana thistle now for more pots. the Wowhead guide is spot on as my same mate used it to get the pet earlier.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Re: Sun Darter Hatchling solved

Post by Peanutty » June 19th, 2017, 11:40 pm

Well I screwed up and forgot to test the "Mighty" version of the pots, since I didn't remember about the CDs on pots and didn't want to have to click off one and spend another minute waiting on the CD... good thing too because by the time I made it through some of my buffs were down to about 2 min. There's nothing like the slight panic you go through whenever you get ported out for clicking something late or missing something. :o

I highly suggest bringing extras of everything that's not unique. Especially Pygmy Oil. And read the instructions carefully.

Salus
Pet Score:8751
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Salus » June 20th, 2017, 1:35 am

Has anyone tried to do it twice? With the same toon, with alts? Also curious if weekly reset changes things...

Milotha
Top Rater

Post by Milotha » June 20th, 2017, 3:56 am

Salus wrote:Has anyone tried to do it twice? With the same toon, with alts? Also curious if weekly reset changes things...
You can only do it once per character. You can do it on different characters. The pet is cageable.