7.2.5 UI Change - "unobtainable pets"

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Post Reply
User avatar
Quintessence
Site Admin
Posts: 2598
Joined: June 4th, 2008
Pet Score: 10080
Realm: Proudmoore-US
Contact:

7.2.5 UI Change - "unobtainable pets"

Post by Quintessence » June 13th, 2017, 12:58 pm

Thanks to [profile]Railwolf[/profile] for pointing this out - a UI change was made to the Pet Journal:
Unobtainable battle pets are now hidden from the list unless collected.
I've confirmed that "unobtainable" means pets that are not available to your region (such as [pet]Tiny Green Dragon[/pet] from China), but I'm thinking pets that are from one-time events are also included in this category.

:arrow: Can anyone that hasn't collected the [pet]Spirit of Competition[/pet] or [pet]Vampiric Batling[/pet] confirm whether or not they see these pets in their Pet Journal as uncollected still?

Older CE/Promotional pets show up normally as long as they are available to your region. [pet]Lurky[/pet] (EU-only) is no longer visible under uncollected in the Pet Journal for NA-region players.

Note: If you've collected any pet, regardless of availability, they should appear in your Pet Journal as usual.
Image
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 8
Joined: May 6th, 2014
Pet Score: 9896
Realm: Moon Guard-US
Contact:

Re: 7.2.5 UI Change - "unobtainable pets"

Post by Grizz » June 13th, 2017, 1:05 pm

Not showing in mine

Guest
Contact:

Re: 7.2.5 UI Change - "unobtainable pets"

Post by Guest » June 13th, 2017, 1:35 pm

Both the Vampiric Batling and the Spirit of Competition do not show up in my Pet Journal. Rematch also lists the total pet count as 901 (I'm in the US)

also the Molten Corgi is gone long gone ;_;
Last edited by Guest on June 13th, 2017, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Quintessence
Site Admin
Posts: 2598
Joined: June 4th, 2008
Pet Score: 10080
Realm: Proudmoore-US
Contact:

Re: 7.2.5 UI Change - "unobtainable pets"

Post by Quintessence » June 13th, 2017, 1:56 pm

Thank you both for the quick replies!
Image
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

User avatar
Mehetabel
Top Rater
Posts: 584
Joined: November 2nd, 2012
Pet Score: 10128
Realm: Lightbringer-EU
Contact:

Re: 7.2.5 UI Change - "unobtainable pets"

Post by Mehetabel » June 13th, 2017, 6:37 pm

This is fantastic! Been hoping for this pretty much since the pet UI arrived! I'm EU so will have a look in the morning. :D
Image
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

User avatar
Nagini
Top Rater
Posts: 150
Joined: January 27th, 2013
Pet Score: 9325
Realm: Kael'thas-US
Contact:

Re: 7.2.5 UI Change - "unobtainable pets"

Post by Nagini » June 14th, 2017, 2:53 am

Ahhh! Wonderfull news! Nothing is less fun that having an unobtainable carrot tied to the end of your treadmill ^_^

User avatar
Gilneas
Top Rater
Posts: 613
Joined: May 11th, 2008
Pet Score: 9448
Realm: Kargath-US
Contact:

Re: 7.2.5 UI Change - "unobtainable pets"

Post by Gilneas » June 14th, 2017, 11:00 am

Wonder if the exclusion of CE pets from this is a hint at their plans for future digital CE's of past releases (like Wings of Liberty when LotV came out).

User avatar
Mehetabel
Top Rater
Posts: 584
Joined: November 2nd, 2012
Pet Score: 10128
Realm: Lightbringer-EU
Contact:

Re: 7.2.5 UI Change - "unobtainable pets"

Post by Mehetabel » June 14th, 2017, 11:08 am

Gilneas wrote:Wonder if the exclusion of CE pets from this is a hint at their plans for future digital CE's of past releases (like Wings of Liberty when LotV came out).
I think it's more likely because CE pets can still be obtained in EU/USA . . . sure, it may be via ebay etc and it may cost a bunch but they ARE still available and therefore obtainable.
Image
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

User avatar
Gilneas
Top Rater
Posts: 613
Joined: May 11th, 2008
Pet Score: 9448
Realm: Kargath-US
Contact:

Re: 7.2.5 UI Change - "unobtainable pets"

Post by Gilneas » June 14th, 2017, 1:21 pm

Mehetabel wrote:
Gilneas wrote:Wonder if the exclusion of CE pets from this is a hint at their plans for future digital CE's of past releases (like Wings of Liberty when LotV came out).
I think it's more likely because CE pets can still be obtained in EU/USA . . . sure, it may be via ebay etc and it may cost a bunch but they ARE still available and therefore obtainable.
Technically, so is Mini Tyrael, but he is hidden now. It's a stretch to say that, but it's also a stretch to say the classic CE pets are still obtainable. The others, especially more recently, do have higher quantities available. Though still, they've been trying to bring back unobtainable pets for years, and there's clearly a demand for digital CE's. It seems pretty likely something that will happen.

I cannot confirm/deny for the Blizzcon pets.

User avatar
Noel
Posts: 135
Joined: February 28th, 2014
Pet Score: 10104
Realm: Kel'Thuzad-US
Contact:

Re: 7.2.5 UI Change - "unobtainable pets"

Post by Noel » June 14th, 2017, 2:46 pm

I think its inevitable they'll make the old collector pets available again. Even if the population that's interested is small its still a sizable chunk of money so its a no brainer. Also most of the people who originally purchased those collector editions are no longer playing.

Digital Deluxe of every expansion coming soon!

I'm sad about them delisting the vampiric batling and spirit of competition, was kinda hoping they'd make them available again say next Hallow's End or next Olympics.

I think all pets should be achievable by everyone.

I wonder if the total number of people interested in pets (collecting and/or battling) is going up? By the huge crowd around Deadmines last night I think it might be going up.

User avatar
Mehetabel
Top Rater
Posts: 584
Joined: November 2nd, 2012
Pet Score: 10128
Realm: Lightbringer-EU
Contact:

Re: 7.2.5 UI Change - "unobtainable pets"

Post by Mehetabel » June 15th, 2017, 6:18 am

Honestly, I'm in that small (and disliked) group of people who really REALLY don't want any of the no longer available pets brought back. I know it probably sounds selfish but I worked my butt off for Spirit of Competition. He was a Chinese dragon because the that is where the Olympics were. I would completely support regular Olympic pets etc but not bringing back old ones. Also, about 85% of the reason I pet collect is for competitive reasons (the other 15% is simply that I love the pets). From that point of view, I like my rare/exclusive pets. I am well aware that this view makes me extremely unpopular but I can't help that that is what I find enjoyable in pet collecting.
Gilneas wrote:but it's also a stretch to say the classic CE pets are still obtainable.
I can assure you they are quite obtainable. I bought mine last year. :)
Gilneas wrote:Technically, so is Mini Tyrael, but he is hidden now.
I do actually find that strange as there are still a fair few to be found, if you are willing to pay.
Image
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

User avatar
Digem
MVP
Posts: 545
Joined: August 1st, 2013
Pet Score: 10112
Realm: Fizzcrank-US
Contact:

Re: 7.2.5 UI Change - "unobtainable pets"

Post by Digem » June 15th, 2017, 11:57 am

Mehetabel wrote:Honestly, I'm in that small (and disliked) group of people who really REALLY don't want any of the no longer available pets brought back. I know it probably sounds selfish but I worked my butt off for Spirit of Competition. He was a Chinese dragon because the that is where the Olympics were. I would completely support regular Olympic pets etc but not bringing back old ones. Also, about 85% of the reason I pet collect is for competitive reasons (the other 15% is simply that I love the pets). From that point of view, I like my rare/exclusive pets. I am well aware that this view makes me extremely unpopular but I can't help that that is what I find enjoyable in pet collecting.
Gilneas wrote:but it's also a stretch to say the classic CE pets are still obtainable.
I can assure you they are quite obtainable. I bought mine last year. :)
Gilneas wrote:Technically, so is Mini Tyrael, but he is hidden now.
I do actually find that strange as there are still a fair few to be found, if you are willing to pay.
It did say in the description of the spirit of competition pet that it comes around every 4 years but sadly has never returned. I like your idea of the dragon one being "retired" since it was specific to that Olympics. It would be nice though if a new one tailored to the home city came around though every summer Olympic.
I see your point on not wanting old pets back but to me it isn't that big of a deal and I have 886 unique pets. As long as someone has to do some work for it or pay the blood price on the ah I don't really care. Maybe some old pet is the pet that sparks a new players interest in pets and I say great the more the merrier.

User avatar
Ebil
Posts: 94
Joined: September 27th, 2012
Pet Score: 9446
Realm: Moon Guard-US
Contact:

Re: 7.2.5 UI Change - "unobtainable pets"

Post by Ebil » June 15th, 2017, 12:19 pm

Mehetabel wrote:Honestly, I'm in that small (and disliked) group of people who really REALLY don't want any of the no longer available pets brought back. I know it probably sounds selfish but I worked my butt off for Spirit of Competition. He was a Chinese dragon because the that is where the Olympics were. I would completely support regular Olympic pets etc but not bringing back old ones.
They should bring back the Spirit of Competition pet because Blizzard said it would come back every Olympics. It is not about people not working their butts off to get something when it was out but the fact they said there were be other chances to get the pet. I, for one, did not get the pet when it was first out and planned on getting it the next Olympics. Instead Blizzard did not bring the pet back, the went back on their word which still does not sit well with me. I missed out the pre-WotLK pet because I was too scared to group with people. That is on me and I am okay with them not bring that pet back but the Spirit of Competition should come back.

User avatar
Noel
Posts: 135
Joined: February 28th, 2014
Pet Score: 10104
Realm: Kel'Thuzad-US
Contact:

Re: 7.2.5 UI Change - "unobtainable pets"

Post by Noel » June 15th, 2017, 4:56 pm

I have the spirit of competition and could care less who else has it, for that matter I have a ton of rare pets. I still think they should all be achievable (perhaps with very lengthy requirements or RL special events). The digital deluxe pets are simply a toggle on the store so total no brainer for those willing to pay...to ease their guilt maybe give partial proceeds to charity.

I wonder how many subscribers would quit over them releasing the unobtainable pets? Compared to how much money they would make off sales? Interesting economics question :0

Post Reply