MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us
Re: No new pets from raids :(

Post by Digem » June 8th, 2017, 9:51 am

Mehetabel wrote:
Quintessence wrote:I've had about enough of RNG for one expansion to be honest
This.

I am having CRAZY bad luck with RNG this expac and I've had it up to here with it. So many pets that I still don't have (Knockoff Blingtron, Albino Buzzard, Hateful Eye to name a couple) that I try daily to get but nothing, nothing, nothing drops.

More drop pets would be the death of me. :lol:

Do you play on US realms? If so my battle tag is digem1671 and I have extra albino buzzards I would happily give a fellow collector one rng sucks big time and maybe this will relieve some of it.

Digem
MVP

Post by Digem » June 8th, 2017, 10:00 am

Badpathing wrote:The meta-achieve pet is great!

I really don't get all the negativity about RNG and pets in general I see around here. Pets are more in the lime light than they have ever been. Tying them into PvP, Order halls and current raid content just means they are always considered and are growing in depth (content wise).

I know a lot of people are unhappy with the devs, but I think that's because the direction the devs take it is not in the world view of the complainer. The truth is, pets are very much being fed and watered by devs and continue to grow content wise. Makes me feel great to embrace the change and challenges as new pets keep rolling in.

Really you don't get what is bad and annoying about rng? Rng means I could do it forever and not get it but someone else can do it once and get it. Rng is bad and lazy game design. Grinds and even making it something difficult is fine. If one chooses to do the grind or step up to the challenge they get rewarded for doing so. But gating behind rng is wrong. Add in different breeds in the wailing caverns and you get double rng gating. It makes ones hard work and effort seem pointless and that is bad game design.
I don't like the pvp pets and having to do it on both factions but I know if I put the effort/work in I will get them. That then leaves the choice up to me to do it or not and not up to the gods of rng.
Which is a much better game design

Badpathing
MVP
Pet Score:12840
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Badpathing » June 8th, 2017, 2:58 pm

Digem wrote:

I really don't get all the negativity about RNG and pets in general I see around here. Pets are more in the lime light than they have ever been. Tying them into PvP, Order halls and current raid content just means they are always considered and are growing in depth (content wise).

I know a lot of people are unhappy with the devs, but I think that's because the direction the devs take it is not in the world view of the complainer. The truth is, pets are very much being fed and watered by devs and continue to grow content wise. Makes me feel great to embrace the change and challenges as new pets keep rolling in.

Really you don't get what is bad and annoying about rng? Rng means I could do it forever and not get it but someone else can do it once and get it. Rng is bad and lazy game design. Grinds and even making it something difficult is fine. If one chooses to do the grind or step up to the challenge they get rewarded for doing so. But gating behind rng is wrong. Add in different breeds in the wailing caverns and you get double rng gating. It makes ones hard work and effort seem pointless and that is bad game design.
I don't like the pvp pets and having to do it on both factions but I know if I put the effort/work in I will get them. That then leaves the choice up to me to do it or not and not up to the gods of rng.
"Getting" what is bad with RNG is a subjective thing; an entire gambling industry would love to chat with you. Plenty of people don't mind, or even enjoy RNG. Calling it lazy game design is sometimes, ironically, the result of a lazy commenter not putting in the time to understand the design in the first place.

There is no 'wrong' or 'right' with RNG. RNG isn't going away, and how you receive it as a player is personal to you.

Most of what you said above was stated as fact, but in reality is just your preference. This is another example of a post that makes claims for the entirety of the population of gamers; I'd love to see that go away so that we could have rationale conversations here.

Digem
MVP

Post by Digem » June 9th, 2017, 6:05 am

Badpathing wrote:
Digem wrote:

"Getting" what is bad with RNG is a subjective thing; an entire gambling industry would love to chat with you. Plenty of people don't mind, or even enjoy RNG. Calling it lazy game design is sometimes, ironically, the result of a lazy commenter not putting in the time to understand the design in the first place.

There is no 'wrong' or 'right' with RNG. RNG isn't going away, and how you receive it as a player is personal to you.

Most of what you said above was stated as fact, but in reality is just your preference. This is another example of a post that makes claims for the entirety of the population of gamers; I'd love to see that go away so that we could have rationale conversations here.
If you think rng is good design versus earning something than I really don't have anything else to say to you because you have left me speechless.
But liking rng is your preference and not a fact either if one chooses to act like you do by the way. Why you think what you state is a fact and others isn't is an amusing way you argue and rather convient

Badpathing
MVP

Post by Badpathing » June 9th, 2017, 9:38 am

Digem wrote:If you think rng is good design versus earning something than I really don't have anything else to say to you because you have left me speechless.
But liking rng is your preference and not a fact either if one chooses to act like you do by the way. Why you think what you state is a fact and others isn't is an amusing way you argue and rather convient
Sorry, you must have misread. What I pointed to was that there is an entire industry, successful industry I add, based 100% on RNG. You cannot deny that it is an acceptable form of entertainment to some people.

Yes, I don't mind RNG and yes that is personal; I never said otherwise. I also never said that RNG being good, is a fact; which you seem to have gleamed from my post.

Please point out the facts I am using. To get you started, here's an example of a non-fact (that you pose as fact).

"Rng is bad and lazy game design"

You should consider proof-reading your responses, it was very difficult to understand what you were 'trying' to say.

Digem
MVP

Post by Digem » June 9th, 2017, 10:39 am

Badpathing wrote:
Digem wrote:If you think rng is good design versus earning something than I really don't have anything else to say to you because you have left me speechless.
Sorry, you must have misread. What I pointed to was that there is an entire industry, successful industry I add, based 100% on RNG. You cannot deny that it is an acceptable form of entertainment to some people.

Yes, I don't mind RNG and yes that is personal; I never said otherwise. I also never said that RNG being good, is a fact; which you seem to have gleamed from my post.

Please point out the facts I am using. To get you started, here's an example of a non-fact (that you pose as fact).

"Rng is bad and lazy game design"

You should consider proof-reading your responses, it was very difficult to understand what you were 'trying' to say.
Rng is bad and lazy game design. It is making something content based off of luck and is the lazy/easier way to design "content". Just because someone else does something doesn't mean it is right.
Blizz itself has designed content better and the best example I will give you is the noble garden event. If lucky with rng one can get the mount from the eggs at anytime but it is a guaranteed drop after one collects 500 of the eggs. So if one puts the work in they are rewarded but they can also get lucky in rng at anytime. Better game design.

You keep insulting people though I forgot it was you who did this.
I will know better than ever to respond to one of your posts again.

Ebil
Pet Score:11957
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Ebil » June 9th, 2017, 11:25 am

RNG can be good design. I say this because it adds variety to the way we get items and creates a bit of excitement when that drop happens. Now excessive RNG is bad design in my opinion because it adds frustration due to there not being a change of pace. This also can be said about any of the reward systems. I get tired of wild pet battles, quest chains, 100% drops, rare spawn camping, long grinds (looking at you DK and Monk), rep grinds and whatever else we do for items. The issue with Legion pets is that Legion has a lot of excessive RNG all around so it makes the normal amount of RNG we have seem worst.

The other thing that RNG does is create exclusivity with items. I know there are people that do not like or enjoy exclusive items but I enjoy having "rare" or hard to get items. As a collector there is an indescribable feeling I get when I finally get that I item I have been hunting for or grinding for. It does not have anything to do with wanting to be better than other people. It like the feeling of paying $19 for something that normally cost $300. That can only happen with RNG.

Badpathing
MVP

Post by Badpathing » June 9th, 2017, 11:43 am

Digem wrote: Rng is bad and lazy game design. It is making something content based off of luck and is the lazy/easier way to design "content". Just because someone else does something doesn't mean it is right.
Blizz itself has designed content better and the best example I will give you is the noble garden event. If lucky with rng one can get the mount from the eggs at anytime but it is a guaranteed drop after one collects 500 of the eggs. So if one puts the work in they are rewarded but they can also get lucky in rng at anytime. Better game design.

You keep insulting people though I forgot it was you who did this.
I will know better than ever to respond to one of your posts again.
Disagreeing with you is not insulting you. I'm sorry you feel that way.

Badpathing
MVP

Post by Badpathing » June 9th, 2017, 11:54 am

Ebil wrote:RNG can be good design. I say this because it adds variety to the way we get items and creates a bit of excitement when that drop happens. Now excessive RNG is bad design in my opinion because it adds frustration due to there not being a change of pace. This also can be said about any of the reward systems. I get tired of wild pet battles, quest chains, 100% drops, rare spawn camping, long grinds (looking at you DK and Monk), rep grinds and whatever else we do for items. The issue with Legion pets is that Legion has a lot of excessive RNG all around so it makes the normal amount of RNG we have seem worst.

The other thing that RNG does is create exclusivity with items. I know there are people that do not like or enjoy exclusive items but I enjoy having "rare" or hard to get items. As a collector there is an indescribable feeling I get when I finally get that I item I have been hunting for or grinding for. It does not have anything to do with wanting to be better than other people. It like the feeling of paying $19 for something that normally cost $300. That can only happen with RNG.
I fully agree with you. It seems there is this underlying mindset here on these forums that pet collecting, and therefor all pet related content, should rightly be designed and provided within the guidelines of said mindset. In other words, "do it like I want you to do it or you are wrong".

I see the variance they introduce as a positive step for us pet collectors. It get us out doing other activities and exposes potential non-collectors to the habit. Pets are becoming ubiquitous to all content in WoW and that's healthy in my opinion. While I cannot say I 100% agree with all the design choices (looking at you prestige pets for BOTH factions), I am willing to roll with it since I love that feeling of getting-the-pet. Esp the hard, grindy ones.

You know, "collecting".

Iopos
Pet Score:4510
BattleTag®:Kratas#1418
Realm:Tichondrius-us

Post by Iopos » June 9th, 2017, 5:31 pm

Outside of raiding with leashes, they seem to keep the number of pets from raids fairly minimal in each expansion. WoD had its corrupted nest guardian, Mists had the two off Sha of Pride and a smattering in ToT. So far in Legion, we've had EN's nightmare and dream whelplings(with the latter not even being a drop, but does require running the raid to get) along with the upcoming pet as a reward for the tomb meta(supposedly). We still have the upcoming trip to Argus to see more pets from raids and I see that as more likely, as another world is likely to have more reason for us to see something really interesting as a pet(after all, Algalon told us he scoured other worlds for his pet team :) )

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » June 9th, 2017, 8:56 pm

Iopos wrote:Outside of raiding with leashes, they seem to keep the number of pets from raids fairly minimal in each expansion. WoD had its corrupted nest guardian, Mists had the two off Sha of Pride and a smattering in ToT. So far in Legion, we've had EN's nightmare and dream whelplings(with the latter not even being a drop, but does require running the raid to get) along with the upcoming pet as a reward for the tomb meta(supposedly). We still have the upcoming trip to Argus to see more pets from raids and I see that as more likely, as another world is likely to have more reason for us to see something really interesting as a pet(after all, Algalon told us he scoured other worlds for his pet team :) )
Mists actually had a full set from ToT and Siege (that is, a similar number that they'd add for a RWL achievement).

ToT: Living Sandling, Pygmy Direhorn, Ji-Kun Hatchling, Living Fluid, Viscous Horror and Son of Animus
Siege: Gooey Shaling, Droplet of Y'Shaarj, Blackfuse Bombling and Kovok

I assume they stopped doing that many because they realized they would keep doing RWL achievements as time went on, and the raids from Mists on would all already have pets if they kept at it. Now it's just here or there so that they can flesh it out when it's time to do RWL for that raid.

Berrenger
Pet Score:13552
Realm:Terokkar-eu

Post by Berrenger » June 10th, 2017, 4:40 pm

Badpathing wrote:
Digem wrote:

Well said!

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13619
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » June 13th, 2017, 4:45 am

Badpathing wrote:I really don't get all the negativity about RNG and pets in general I see around here.
I think that people (myself included) just like a bit of a moan. :lol:

This thread has actually had some very good responses and comments that have put RNG pets in a different perspective for me. While I personally will always prefer a pet I can work towards (no matter how hard - pvp etc), I can see that there are people who might like the RNG side of it. As pointed out, gambling is a huge industry for a reason.

Honestly, on a whole, I think Blizzard have done a FANTASTIC job with pets this expansion. It's spread out, it's fair . . . there are pet rewards from every part of the game, to suit every kind of player, from raider to pvp'er to altaholic and more. It honestly couldn't be more balanced.
Digem wrote:Do you play on US realms? If so my battle tag is digem1671 and I have extra albino buzzards I would happily give a fellow collector one rng sucks big time and maybe this will relieve some of it.
That's incredibly sweet of you but unfortunately I'm on EU. :(
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » June 13th, 2017, 7:48 am

It's just a shame they've moved from "Gotta catch 'em all" to "There's no way you can catch 'em all"

Ebil

Post by Ebil » June 13th, 2017, 10:57 am

Graven wrote:It's just a shame they've moved from "Gotta catch 'em all" to "There's no way you can catch 'em all"
I disagree with this a bit. There have always been pets that most collectors could not get for various reasons, starting with the CE, TCG, regional, limited time and Blizzcon pets. Legion pets are all about the amount of effort you are willing to put in to get these pets or how long you are willing to wait. This is why I will never have the pet battle pvp pet because I hate pvp. It took me years before I was able to afford the TCG pets, it will take me years before I buy the million gold pet and I have the gold.

Pet collecting has always had impossible dream pets, [pet]mini-tyrael[/pet] . At lest in Legion you can work toward most the pets unless RNG hates you.

Briqitta
Top Rater
Pet Score:4244
Realm:Argent Dawn-us

Post by Briqitta » June 13th, 2017, 2:40 pm

Ebil wrote: Legion pets are all about the amount of effort you are willing to put in to get these pets or how long you are willing to wait. This is why I will never have the pet battle pvp pet because I hate pvp.
If you mean regular PVP, there are 3-4 PVP world quests up almost every day.

It may take a whole lot of them - given that you only receive 300-500 honor per WQ, depending on which ones are active - to get to Prestige 1, let alone 7+ (for the second pet) but at least it gives you something to shoot for.

I have been running at least some of them on 4-7 characters semidaily, though mostly for the Marks of Honor. I have yet to run into ANY opposite faction players when doing it.

The only time I've ever had a player attack me was when a same-faction DK with 7m health decided to pop his Aviana avatar and tried to squash my barely ilvl 800 not-yet 1.5m health warrior. A quick jump and a Goblin Glider away and I came back in 5 minutes without an issue.

If you are a class that has an Order Hall upgrade/enhancement that gets a free WQ completion every 18 hours, you can use these on all of the PVP WQs. (I use it on the arena ones to avoid having to get close to actual PVP). The so-blessed classes are: DH/Mage/Paladin/DK/Warlock/Warrior

Ebil

Post by Ebil » June 14th, 2017, 9:24 am

I mean pet battle pvp, I really dislike that part of pet battles so those are achievements I will never get. I have been using my free tower complete and working slowly on the normal pvp ones.

Badpathing
MVP

Post by Badpathing » June 16th, 2017, 3:09 pm

Mehetabel wrote: Honestly, on a whole, I think Blizzard have done a FANTASTIC job with pets this expansion. It's spread out, it's fair . . . there are pet rewards from every part of the game, to suit every kind of player, from raider to pvp'er to altaholic and more. It honestly couldn't be more balanced.
This is very refreshing, glad you posted. I agree wholeheartedly.

Post by Guest » June 16th, 2017, 4:34 pm

The PVP World Quests are a walk in the park. If you remember the bad ol' days of Vanilla World PVP and being ganked and spawn camped, these are nothing like them. I'm on a low population RP server cluster, but fwiw I've never seen an opposite faction player ever. Not once. Your server may be different, but the way the PVP WQs (besides the Free For All one) is set up, there's literally nothing that incentivizes being the opposite faction in the PVP zone, and all you're doing is attacking mobs. In the FFA one, if I accidentally tag somebody I /sorry and usually they're on their way and out of there once they've killed all their goats or whatever. Vanilla World PVP is long dead. RIP. This is very dependant on your server, of course. But yeah, if you're on the fence about the PVP World Quests, give them a few tries. It was really surprising for me, and now I got a ton of new awesome Transmogs.