Share pet collecting news and advice.
Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us
Re: Regarding all the complaining about pets in Legion

Post by Digem » February 23rd, 2017, 11:59 pm

Badpathing wrote:
Mehetabel wrote:I honestly think people are seriously overreacting about this. Sure there are some pets that are quite hard to get this expac but that's a challenge . . . which is fun and leads to a feeling of achievement.
I agree 100%. I think there is a prevalent posture here on these forums to assume pet collecting should be a certain way and should not change.

I am extremely excited to see the devs push pets into new genres and I am very attracted to the challenge they pose in terms of collecting.

Yet you dislike pvp so the prestige one is bad but like leveling Alts so that one is fine right ? Kinda of convient isn't it?

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » February 24th, 2017, 12:28 am

Badpathing wrote:
Peanutty wrote:I don't even have a problem with the prestige pets, because I can see the progress I'm making, slow as it is. What I don't want to do is a grind that only involves classes that I have no interest in playing.
I'm pretty sure you can gauge your progress through the DK 'grind' just the same. Furthermore, your interest in playing a class can be as low as my interest in pvp'ing; you see how subjective that is? Just say "I don't want to do it", don't try to qualify why you SHOULDN'T want to do it, it's just not going to work. It's a personal choice.
I didn't word that terribly well. At least with prestige pets, I decide what class to play for the grinds (in my case I mirrored my main, so I'm playing the same class through the towers). With the order hall pets, we don't have that choice. It's not "level a second toon and get AP across three weapons to a certain level," it's "level a DK and get AP across three weapons to a certain level." Complete lack of "personal choice" on the most basic of level - the class of toon played.

So no, "I don't want to do it." At all. I don't want to do the prestige grind either. But am I going to try and make these alts and level them? Probably. I don't know how successful I'll be or how long it'll take, but yes I'm going to try. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Badpathing
MVP
Pet Score:12840
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Badpathing » February 24th, 2017, 6:42 pm

Digem wrote:
Badpathing wrote:
Mehetabel wrote:I honestly think people are seriously overreacting about this. Sure there are some pets that are quite hard to get this expac but that's a challenge . . . which is fun and leads to a feeling of achievement.
I agree 100%. I think there is a prevalent posture here on these forums to assume pet collecting should be a certain way and should not change.

I am extremely excited to see the devs push pets into new genres and I am very attracted to the challenge they pose in terms of collecting.

Yet you dislike pvp so the prestige one is bad but like leveling Alts so that one is fine right ? Kinda of convient isn't it?
Actually, if you read what I posted, I objected to the pvp grind being duplicated in every possible way across factions. I don't mind the pvp warden towers at all. I do them on multiple alts. I said I don't like pvp, but I don't mind the prestige grind.

Regardless, if you read anything I have said and decided to absorb instead of looking for ways to simply attack, you'd understand that I accept parts of this game that I don't like, yet seem reasonable.

Your passive aggressive post has fallen on its face.

*edit* and actually, I LOVE the prestige system. The AP from it is extremely lucrative and getting titles, mounts, pets, etc is a really fun reward. The fact that Blizz included a semi-PVE solution to prestige progression is super duper.

Sharna
Pet Score:12229
Realm:Quel'Thalas-eu

Post by Sharna » February 25th, 2017, 7:08 am

Maizing wrote:I also have no issue with the occasional pet that is obtained by doing content unrelated to pet battles (such as [pet]Clock'em[/pet]) for those willing to do that content.
I don't mind doing long-winded slogs, especially if I can do it as a group activity with friends, but what I don't like is content I find impossible to complete. I play healers and however many expansions on it is now, I still haven't been able to find a way to succeed in getting the Brawlers' guild pet. And now there's a second one...

Digem
MVP

Post by Digem » February 25th, 2017, 7:30 am

Sharna wrote:
Maizing wrote:I also have no issue with the occasional pet that is obtained by doing content unrelated to pet battles (such as [pet]Clock'em[/pet]) for those willing to do that content.
I don't mind doing long-winded slogs, especially if I can do it as a group activity with friends, but what I don't like is content I find impossible to complete. I play healers and however many expansions on it is now, I still haven't been able to find a way to succeed in getting the Brawlers' guild pet. And now there's a second one...

But someone else claims things like this and some pets being gated behind things like this are good for the game. Nevermind it turns people off it makes him feel special and that is all that matters.

Jazeel
Pet Score:9583
Realm:Saurfang-us

Post by Jazeel » February 25th, 2017, 8:31 am

once upon a time in a galaxy far away(copywright not paid), you could be a pet collector without having to play any class but the one you liked. your main. now you have to play many classes, both factions for prestige, and as an old school collector i am totally dismayed, what i could once do on my shiney pally now requires so much more work, way too much work tbh, i have a job, a sick father, several relatives who need help, pet collecting was something i did well for a long time, but like several of my friends who have stopped, i might too, because there comes a time where life beats game.especially when game seems to be pushing towards very addictive behaviour design, i really can no longer see what we enjoy as being little more than a design addiction, that blizz is exploiting.

GilroyKilroy
MVP
Pet Score:6114
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by GilroyKilroy » February 25th, 2017, 3:45 pm

I dislike having to play a class I have no interest in (melee dps) in order to obtain pets. RNG pets is bad enough (still waiting on Blingtron and Kirin Tor....).

This may give Quintessence a chance to catch up to me ;)

Desi
Pet Score:5590
Realm:Dragonblight-us

Post by Desi » February 25th, 2017, 4:43 pm

GilroyKilroy wrote:I dislike having to play a class I have no interest in (melee dps) in order to obtain pets. RNG pets is bad enough (still waiting on Blingtron and Kirin Tor....).

This may give Quintessence a chance to catch up to me ;)
I know your struggle - I also dislike playing melee dps, I play casters.

Kiella
Pet Score:13842
BattleTag®:Elena#1284
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Kiella » February 25th, 2017, 6:32 pm

Jazeel wrote:once upon a time in a galaxy far away(copywright not paid), you could be a pet collector without having to play any class but the one you liked. your main. now you have to play many classes, both factions for prestige, and as an old school collector i am totally dismayed, what i could once do on my shiney pally now requires so much more work, way too much work tbh, i have a job, a sick father, several relatives who need help, pet collecting was something i did well for a long time, but like several of my friends who have stopped, i might too, because there comes a time where life beats game.especially when game seems to be pushing towards very addictive behaviour design, i really can no longer see what we enjoy as being little more than a design addiction, that blizz is exploiting.
The two factions thing is not really new. Yes, the holiday and Argent Tournament faction-specific pets you could always just buy on the AH, but the balloons, squires, heralds and pages all required a character on both factions. Plus you'd need an opposite faction char to level pets like the moonkin hatchlings that are only able to be summoned on one faction. And didn't you need one opposite faction trainer to even get the bonus xp hat?

The class thing is obviously new, but I feel like it directly plays into the whole class focus thing this expansion.

Regarding your last point about Blizzard's game design, do you also see other activities that require significant time commitments (e.g., mythic raiding or mount collecting) as exploitative?

Avalee
Pet Score:6870
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Avalee » February 25th, 2017, 7:42 pm

Rayjin wrote:not really? i play 3-4h a day and i am close to reaching p7 with my alt and i am capped at 9 50 with my main.
Startet leveling my monk dk and rogue last weekend all are at 104 now.
3-4h a day playing a class you hate is fun??? I tried a monk, test-boosted it to 100 and HATED him. I just can't stand fighting bare-hand. It just looks so silly and hate its moves and animations. So I deleted it. Grinding it for the pet would be a nightmare.

I play my main (a hunter) several hours a day and even she hasn't capped her weapon yet. I have a DK which I play occasionally but its weapon is level 10 or so. Playing 3 DK and Monk to max would take me months, maybe years of spending time doing something I hate.
I tried Brawler's guild, and it seems I suck at it. Even my main can't reach level 2. Haven't even tried fishing (which I hate), did some PvP (which I hate), but the progress bar is going so slow, it drives me mad.

All of this is so off-putting, I may just quit pet collecting all together if this will continue.

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » February 25th, 2017, 10:34 pm

Avalee, the numbers show that the weapon grinds are nothing like as bad as they seem, if you're comparing them to the effort to raise them from AK 0 at the start of the expansion.

I have posts in the other thread that calculate, on current information, that qualifying a weapon per pet will take only 80-100 World Quests at AK40, which we will have later on.

However, you have put your finger squarely on my bugbear. I cannot stand the overdone and caricatured animations of Monks. They make me feel ridiculous, and not in a good way. I'm not especially fond of DK, but not especially repulsed either.

I am going to hate levelling a Monk. :(

Kiella
Pet Score:13842
BattleTag®:Elena#1284
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Kiella » February 25th, 2017, 10:52 pm

Gráinne wrote:However, you have put your finger squarely on my bugbear. I cannot stand the overdone and caricatured animations of Monks. They make me feel ridiculous, and not in a good way. I'm not especially fond of DK, but not especially repulsed either.

I am going to hate levelling a Monk. :(
If you REALLY hate the monk playstyle, there is always leveling through pet battles- you'd just need to buy or craft yourself some gear for the final push at 100+. I'm also a fan of bringing out my alts for all the holiday events and mini-holidays where you can get some decent XP through silly holiday stuff.
Last edited by Kiella on February 26th, 2017, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norya
Pet Score:5508
Realm:Malygos-eu

Post by Norya » February 26th, 2017, 6:03 am

Regarding Blizzard's decisions: I really don't think that they want to force us, the few hardcore-pet-collectors, to play a DK or a Monk. I guess they rather want to give the many, many DKs and monks out there something nice for something they achieved, or some goals to reach out for. So I try to take this not too personally :roll:
Additionally, why all this "have to get all as soon as possible"? Relax. I don't really like PvP, but I do those little Tower-Worldquests (they're barely even PvP, to be honest), and step by step, I gain Prestige Ranks. I don't have a monk yet, but maybe I will level one some time - and if I don't, I will miss one pet. A beautiful one, to be honest. But with a collection of >830 pets, I don't know how much I will miss it. If the effort needed isn't worth it (subjective, just for me...), I will not collect it, and that's OK for me - a Blizzcon Pet from 2005 or so would cost a nice amount of real-world-money, so I'm pretty sure I won't get that one either. My collection is never complete. So I simply put those pets on a "not going to get that soon"-list, and I'm fine with that.
And if I ever decide to do something "exhausting" in the game only to get a specific pet, I think I'd be even more proud of it.
To be honest, I'm sad by the way the game throws lots of pets at us which have only new names for old models, I'm really willing to do something special for a special pet. Maybe not today, maybe never, but at least I can do it if I finally want to.

Peterc
Pet Score:5382
Realm:Outland-eu

Post by Peterc » February 26th, 2017, 7:24 am

One of the key points is will these pets be obtainable after this expansion? As if they are then that appears to 'soothe' lot of the concerns.

I would expect the Class Specific ones to remain and will be interesting to see if anything is done to make them easier to get in the next expansion assuming weapons and AP etc. do not continue next expansion).

Not so sure about Prestige and what will happen next expansion. Do we know yet how many PVP seasons there will be this expansion and that pets will be added beyond Season 2?

I would like to think that the current Prestige will be 'locked' to this expansion so continuing to do towers etc. would earn prestige. Again it would be nice to hear Blizzards current thinking on the 'direction of travel'.

Peter

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » February 26th, 2017, 12:43 pm

Could be worse.

"You want some Schadenfreude with that?"

https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/ ... nts-video/
five mounts that will be available from Reputation Paragon. For every 20,000 reputation gained beyond Exalted with Legion factions, you'll receive a new emissary cache that has a chance to contain one of the mounts.

Digem
MVP

Post by Digem » February 27th, 2017, 11:53 am

Gráinne wrote:Could be worse.

"You want some Schadenfreude with that?"

https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/28973-patch-72-reputation-paragon-mounts-video/
five mounts that will be available from Reputation Paragon. For every 20,000 reputation gained beyond Exalted with Legion factions, you'll receive a new emissary cache that has a chance to contain one of the mounts.

But I can grind that on my main the toon I like to play that is a huge difference rather than having to grind on class or faction ( for pvp pets) that I dislike.
Grinds always go faster if I at least enjoy doing the grind but if it is a class or faction I dislike it can become daunting

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » February 27th, 2017, 4:20 pm

Digem wrote:But I can grind that on my main the toon I like to play that is a huge difference rather than having to grind on class or faction ( for pvp pets) that I dislike.
exactly (plus i can gather tons of rep-tokens forhand)

Digem
MVP

Post by Digem » February 28th, 2017, 1:36 pm

Drudatz wrote:
Digem wrote:But I can grind that on my main the toon I like to play that is a huge difference rather than having to grind on class or faction ( for pvp pets) that I dislike.

Be careful with the rep tokens I thought I saw a blue post saying those won't count towards the new rep unfortunately

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » February 28th, 2017, 1:40 pm

Digem wrote:
Drudatz wrote:

Be careful with the rep tokens I thought I saw a blue post saying those won't count towards the new rep unfortunately
As for Paragon rep, or just no matter the level but since the new patch?
I gather rep tokens to use them during a Darkmoon Faire. But that's sooner than later. :)

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Digem
MVP

Post by Digem » February 28th, 2017, 2:34 pm

Be careful with the rep tokens I thought I saw a blue post saying those won't count towards the new rep unfortunately[/quote]

As for Paragon rep, or just no matter the level but since the new patch?
I gather rep tokens to use them during a Darkmoon Faire. But that's sooner than later. :)[/quote]

From what I gathered the current rep tokens will only work to exalted and anything past exalted will be some sort of new token