Share pet collecting news and advice.
Stark
Top Rater
Pet Score:7569
BattleTag®:Eve#1598
Realm:Illidan-us
Question for leveling pets

Post by Stark » February 2nd, 2017, 8:29 am

I want to level at least ONE of each unique pet to 25. However my collection is a mess(And over 800 pets). Is there a way to determine what's my highest leveled pet if I have multiples?

Thanks!

GrosBonda
Pet Score:10429
BattleTag®:Grosbonda#1406
Realm:Arygos-us

Re: Question for leveling pets

Post by GrosBonda » February 2nd, 2017, 9:09 am

try rematch - https://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/rematch
it is a add-ons i like it

Uduwudu
Pet Score:11571
Realm:Draka-us

Post by Uduwudu » February 3rd, 2017, 2:49 am

Hi,

I have yet to use Rematch ... not sure why or whatnot, but I was OK with the Pet Search utility and Pet Tracker.

The Pet Search thing, for me, was shown in another thread, and the fact that I could export it to an Excel sheet made the difference. I cleaned it up from there, after taking out the 25's and making decisions on duplicates, where I used to have a fast one and a power one, in just about all pets and classes, and finally figured out that most of them were not necessary, since that pet was not quite as useful as others.

With the Familiar thing, and taking on some trainers with all classes, it might make sense to have a fast rabbit and a power rabbit, but I have yet to see many fights where this equation is valid and a strategic one. For example, in one of the World Quests, you can use 3 rabbits and you want them fast, not powerful!

And just as one thinks about that, there are a couple of exceptions that are worth the duplicate, like the Unborn Val'kyr, the Iron Starlette, as the two examples that I use the most.

The nice thing about the spreadsheet, was that it prevented me from spending time levelling pets that were no longer useful or necessary. We still do not use about 60% of our collection anyway, so a lot of duplicates can fall out once you decide how to use, and you catch some of the posts in this board, that explain the different types of pets in Legion, and their usefulness, so you do not spend time and resources levelling a pet ... that does not cut it.

This was frustrating for me, on doing Squirt ... the Fjord Worg Pup I had was not a good one for that fight, and I ended up going to get me the one that worked. The other pet was taking too much damage at the start and not able to get to the Howl part.

Stuff like this, gets a bit more technical, but it teaches you about each of these qualities and the ones that have better value all around for your purposes and daily fights! AND, that is the part you want to learn the most.

Hawg
MVP
Pet Score:12952
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Hawg » February 6th, 2017, 5:01 am

Rematch is the best addon in wow... I cant see why anyone who pet colelcts or battles would not use it... you can sort, filter anyway you can think of. You can create and save teams. You can have those teams automatically pop-up when the relevant trainer is highlighted. And you can save notes so you dont have to try and remember that weird order of abilites that works for that one fight.

I really dont miss having to google strategies and tab out multiple times for fights.

Uduwudu

Post by Uduwudu » February 6th, 2017, 9:20 am

Hawg wrote: ...
I really dont miss having to google strategies and tab out multiple times for fights.
You got me. I'll try it. I promise!

And yeah, I google some ... but I'm used to multi-tasking all day long at work, for example. which kinda helped in some of these battles. My neighbor, still!, can not multi-task, but he does have a bit of Parkinson's and takes medication for it, so it's likely his mind can not keep up with more than 2 or 3 things. Rematch might be good for him, too!

Stark
Top Rater

Post by Stark » February 6th, 2017, 2:56 pm

Hawg wrote:Rematch is the best addon in wow... I cant see why anyone who pet colelcts or battles would not use it... you can sort, filter anyway you can think of. You can create and save teams. You can have those teams automatically pop-up when the relevant trainer is highlighted. And you can save notes so you dont have to try and remember that weird order of abilites that works for that one fight.

I prefer to not rely on googling strategies / using addons that just spell out how to win for you. I enjoy figuring out how to do it purely by myself hence why I don't use Rematch even though I know of it.

So I guess you can see one reason why someone might not use it even if you don't agree with it :)
(inb4 the posts telling me I'm hindering myself. I know and I choose to play that way.)

I ended up sorting through it manually, but thank everyone for their input!

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » February 6th, 2017, 3:02 pm

Stark wrote:
Hawg wrote:Rematch is the best addon in wow... I cant see why anyone who pet colelcts or battles would not use it... you can sort, filter anyway you can think of. You can create and save teams. You can have those teams automatically pop-up when the relevant trainer is highlighted. And you can save notes so you dont have to try and remember that weird order of abilites that works for that one fight.

I prefer to not rely on googling strategies / using addons that just spell out how to win for you. I enjoy figuring out how to do it purely by myself hence why I don't use Rematch even though I know of it.

So I guess you can see one reason why someone might not use it even if you don't agree with it :)
(inb4 the posts telling me I'm hindering myself. I know and I choose to play that way.)

I too prefer to figure out strategy by myself when possible but you asked for help and then poo-pooed it.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » February 6th, 2017, 6:47 pm

Stark wrote:

Rematch doesn't tell you how to beat the fight. Rematch allows you to make notes. They aren't made for you. So you can work really hard and come up with a great strategy all on your own, then type up some notes and save them in Rematch so you don't have to tab out to read them again or try to remember them (if you are old like me).
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Stark
Top Rater

Post by Stark » February 6th, 2017, 8:12 pm

Digem wrote:
Stark wrote:

I too prefer to figure out strategy by myself when possible but you asked for help and then poo-pooed it.
I have no problem with rematch or you suggesting it. My comment was more directed at your "I can't believe people don't use it". It wasn't meant to be hostile, I just wanted to be clear on why I don't use it because last time I just said "Thanks, but I don't use X addon" a person called me an idiot for not using said addon.

I was just asking more if there was an in-game method or if Warcraftpets' filter offered a means to do so.

(I also did thank you and everyone for their replies so I'm sorry if you feel I pooped on it. Hugs?)

Ranok
MVP
Pet Score:13632
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Ranok » February 6th, 2017, 11:05 pm

Stark wrote:I want to level at least ONE of each unique pet to 25. However my collection is a mess(And over 800 pets). Is there a way to determine what's my highest leveled pet if I have multiples?
I've never found one. It can be done, I cobbled together a kind-of add-on to tell me if I had any sort of pet where at least one of them wasn't yet 25. But being baffled by writing the UI for add-ons, could only come up with something that I could execute myself and understand results myself and would hate to have to explain to anyone else. Homebrew. Haven't used it in a while and no idea if it still even works, Blizzard keeps changing their interfaces.

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » February 6th, 2017, 11:09 pm

Do you have Excel, or any spreadsheet? or even Google Docs would do.

http://petsear.ch/Pets

Enter your character and realm, and you will get a very neat spreadsheet of your pets, that can be exported.

I found this invaluable when I was trying to whip my collection into order. I really think I never would have found the energy to finish without having all the levels, breeds, quality, neatly in front of me, with the ability to sort by name, family and so on.

Hawg
MVP

Post by Hawg » February 6th, 2017, 11:47 pm

Stark wrote:

I like doing that too.... the first time. But when i am running a WQ pet master that I havent done in a couple of weeks, i like the ability to see my notes and team that I used the previous time. That way i can get that WQ done in 3min instead of the 15+ it can take experimenting and finding the right combo again.

If you're not in a hurry, then sure. Try a new team and strategy each time, rematch doesn't stop you from that. In fact it can actually help with that too because you can do tons of combinations of searches (show me all beast pets with abilities that are strong against aquatics, etc. etc.).

Hawg
MVP

Post by Hawg » February 6th, 2017, 11:51 pm

Ranok wrote:
Stark wrote:I want to level at least ONE of each unique pet to 25. However my collection is a mess(And over 800 pets). Is there a way to determine what's my highest leveled pet if I have multiples?
I've never found one. It can be done, I cobbled together a kind-of add-on to tell me if I had any sort of pet where at least one of them wasn't yet 25. But being baffled by writing the UI for add-ons, could only come up with something that I could execute myself and understand results myself and would hate to have to explain to anyone else. Homebrew. Haven't used it in a while and no idea if it still even works, Blizzard keeps changing their interfaces.
Sorry to sound like a rematch fanboy, but rematch can do this too. Just search by "quantity 2+" and then sort by alphabetical name.

Uduwudu

Post by Uduwudu » February 8th, 2017, 11:22 am

Stark wrote: ...
I do rely on them some, but usually after checking here, for example, since some fights many of us have commented on and tried.

My only concern is that many of the things posted, and specially WOWHEAD, are NOT, tested and tried, and in many cases they fail and you have to adjust anyway. Some of them are easy enough and straight forward, but it is strange that someone that "tried it", would not show/discuss the strategy, though many have "links", and many of those are missing steps. Gotta love it when they say do this, and the pet resists/blocks just about everything you throw at him ... and that is not mentioned or discussed.

Similarly, I tend to adjust and create my own, though there are too many fights to keep track of and I have not used Rematch yet. For example, one fight, that we discussed here forever, since many of us were having issues with, is one of my favorite fun fights, and guess what ... Bonestorm on all my three pets, and it's fun to just see if the pet can outsmart me ... Bonestorm wins!

Typical internet, though, and Wowhead which usually comes up first ... half the information came out of the pig and chicken farm dung!

Auryona
MVP
Pet Score:5343
Realm:Tichondrius-us

Post by Auryona » February 8th, 2017, 2:57 pm

Stark wrote:I was just asking more if there was an in-game method or if Warcraftpets' filter offered a means to do so.
There is through WCP's filter, though there is no in-game method unless you use addons. In your collection, add filters:

Collected - Include
Collected (Level 25) - Exclude
Collected (Duplicates) - Exclude
Can do battle - Include

This should show you pets in your collection where you don't already have at least one level 25 of and can actually battle (since you can no longer level pets that can't battle).

That being said, I would definitely recommend Rematch also as it has many filters you can use. As Jerebear mentioned, Rematch doesn't provide any kind of strategy or "how to win", so if you're avoiding it for that reason, fear not! Personally, I use Rematch as an organizational tool to save teams, so that when I go to trainer X, I don't have to

a) remember what team I usually use
b) have to go and search for every pet on that team and slot them in
c) make sure it's the right breed if breed matters and I have multiple breeds
d) make sure all the pets have the right abilities (this one used to get me all the time as I use the same pet on multiple teams with different abilities per team)
e) remember to slot in a leveling pet (Rematch has a leveling queue, also a great feature, and will automatically insert a leveling pet for you into the slot you designate as "fill with a leveling pet" in your team)

Rematch will do all of the above for you!

I actually have never used the notes feature so I can't comment on that - but now that I think of it, I probably should. I tend to use custom teams and not ones found on WoWhead (because while they can be reliable, they are often also slow) so it'd probably be useful to know beforehand how I'm supposed to use the team I just auto-loaded... xD

Uduwudu

Post by Uduwudu » February 9th, 2017, 12:44 am

Gráinne wrote:Do you have Excel, or any spreadsheet? or even Google Docs would do.

http://petsear.ch/Pets

Enter your character and realm, and you will get a very neat spreadsheet of your pets, that can be exported.

I found this invaluable when I was trying to whip my collection into order.
Absolutely loved this, and took the spreadsheet, removed the 25's and then I could see what I needed to level and also the duplicates, and it helps clean things up really well.

The more flexible you are playing around with Excel, or Open Office Calc, the easier this gets and the more helpful you can set yourself up. Then all you do is update the spreadsheet as you play until all the pets are done. On another thread ... I even counted the levels I had to go to get all the pets to 25 and it was over 3K. Let me tell you how I felt when Squirt wiped 1K in one day! But seeing it on a spreadsheet really helps focus your levelling to the most used pets that you see listed here, for example.

Bits like that are too precious to waste!

Post by Guest » February 9th, 2017, 12:02 pm

I use maybe like 1/3rd of its functionality, but Rematch as an organization tool is pretty invaluable. I figure out the strategies by my self for the most part, but it's much easier and faster being able call up from within WoW which pets do what by the various search terms, filters, and scripts. Right now, I'm trying to get more pets to rare and 25, and collect wild pets with breeds I find optimal, and it's making my life so much easier than just the standard filters. Seriously, just try it for a little bit, and see what you can search for.

Dirkie
Pet Score:5479
BattleTag®:dirk#1435
Realm:Frostwolf-us

Post by Dirkie » April 12th, 2017, 9:05 am

I have uploaded a spreadsheet I created to help me track my pets I needed to level or stone to get at least one of each pet as rare and level 25. The source of my pets comes from petsear.ch which means it is only the pets you have and not pets you still need to get. Also since petsear.ch is not being updated there are some discrepancies with the type of the newer pets. They seem to all come out as Humanoid?
So, start by downloading you pets from Petsear.ch and then open your list as well as spreadsheet I have added. Copy all your pet info (select the whole range) and paste as text into the gray area on my spreadsheet. (You can just put your cursor in the upper left cell and it will fill the sheet). Next try the keys ctrl+w which hopefully will run a macro and finish with you at the bottom of the list voila you can see the pets needed to level, the number at each level, total levels required and the number which are still not Rare.

Note if the macro doesn't work you can do it manually by simply selecting all the gray area. Then sort by column D by A-Z and Column G from largest-smallest. Next copy Column Q to Column R as Paste Special "values".
Another thing to keep in mind is if you use the sheet again you should clear contents of the entire gray area before you begin.