The Squirky Mystery - UPDATE No longer a mystery

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Sarajiel
Pet Score:5538
Realm:Aman'Thul-eu
Re: The Squirky Mystery

Post by Sarajiel » December 2nd, 2016, 8:13 am

I stand corrected. You are absolutely right that the eastern coastline of Kalimdor and the western coastline of EK is also called "The Great Sea". To be honest I basically ignored old Azeroth after being disappointed with the Feralas "hint" and the Cata zones are located on the opposite coastlines anyway. It still doesn't change the fact that wowhead shows two different zones called "The Great Sea" as part of Legion. Well, it seems more fun searching on both live and the PTR. :P

edit: After trying my luck around the the western coastline of EK, I noticed that you usually reach the fatigue border the same time as you enter The Great Sea. Unlike the underwater areas around Darkmoon Isle and Broken Isles there is almost nothing there except procedurally generated ocean floor.
Last edited by Sarajiel on December 2nd, 2016, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarajiel's dose of nerd culture...

www.piratez.cc

The next novel will be out Soon™

Waveryn
Pet Score:13667
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Waveryn » December 2nd, 2016, 9:36 am

Isn't there a Squirky NPC already in game on the Ally side as part of a fishing quest? Doubt it would be involved since only one faction has access.
Wave

Sarajiel

Post by Sarajiel » December 2nd, 2016, 9:50 am

That NPC is actually called "Squrky" without the "i" in the name. However the fish you need for the quest refer to him as "Squirky" with the "i". :lol:

www.piratez.cc

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » December 2nd, 2016, 12:50 pm

Has anyone tried to sift through the marine areas inside the instances, be them the old or the new ones?

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Sarajiel

Post by Sarajiel » December 2nd, 2016, 1:13 pm

Paladance wrote:Has anyone tried to sift through the marine areas inside the instances, be them the old or the new ones?
I searched a bit inside the murloc related dungeons like Wailing Caverns, Blackfathom Deeps and Throne of the Tides, but found nothing obvious except a broken boss in TotT. :oops:

Do you have any specific instances in mind? The ocean/marine related ones that seem worth checking are probably Deadmines, Sunken Temple, maybe Iron Docks, Eye of Azshara and all SSC instances?

www.piratez.cc

Paladance

Post by Paladance » December 2nd, 2016, 1:33 pm

Sarajiel wrote:Do you have any specific instances in mind? The ocean/marine related ones that seem worth checking are probably Deadmines, Sunken Temple, maybe Iron Docks, Eye of Azshara and all SSC instances?
Not exactly, actually any that would contain a part of the Sea, be it with murlocs or not.
I believe that Maw of Souls would also count though apparently you can't access the water.

Neither of any matches the description tho. I believe it's obsolete entirely and they just don't want to edit it to not give any hint.

Sarajiel

Post by Sarajiel » December 2nd, 2016, 1:46 pm

The closest dungeon to "The Great Sea" would actually be Deadmines. Keep in mind that the ship is inside a closed cove at the coast that is technically part of it. Quite a stretch, but since Blizzard already added a secret that involves a pet to DM, it might be worth checking. Maybe it is time to dust off my little gnome rogue.

edit: After going there on the PTR, it might also belong to the South Seas that starts around the old twink islands...

I'm starting to wonder, if Muffinus also reads these forums. He has probably a good laugh about our mystery solving skills. :mrgreen:

www.piratez.cc

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » December 6th, 2016, 7:18 am

For anyone that wants to test and see if the upcoming micro-holiday, March of the Tadpoles, is connected to Squirky in any way (despite the devs noting that they don't have plans to include pets and mounts in micro-holiday events), PTR testing for micro-holidays has begun.

Dates for March of the Tadpoles testing:
  • Saturday, December 10: March of the Tadpoles
  • Monday, December 19: March of the Tadpoles
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Kurasu
Top Rater
Pet Score:10017
BattleTag®:Kurasu#2861
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Kurasu » December 11th, 2016, 7:53 am

So November is gone and passed, and no one found the fellow. Does this mean we have to wait for next year? Or does this mean that we just keep searching?

I've gone over about everything I can; so far nothing has popped up. I've even browsed Wowhead for hints from the book, hoping that something might stand out as a *possible* NPC related to this that hasn't been found yet. Other than the spells and such people have mentioned, nothing.

I have to think that we're just missing something that's already in-game. I just have no clue what or where. That duck bobber is the only hint, and I've done everything I can think of with it *and* with the things in and around the area (including some mass slaughtering of ogres just in case).

Paladance

Post by Paladance » December 12th, 2016, 2:50 pm

I've noticed that the spell called "Squirky Find Target" may have derived from analogous focusing spells of [pet]Toxic Wasteling[/pet] and [pet]Creepy Crate[/pet] (1, 2).
Whether it means he likes to harm critters or not… surely it involves them.

Another thing: For some reason Cherry (a tamer pet in Northern Barrens) is shown as "Pet Battle: Redridge Mountains" (it doesn't use the RM model).
That makes me even more suspicious about the pet description.
It happens sometimes. Bah! [pet]Flayer Youngling[/pet] has been like that all that time the pet journal exists… and the Lil' Celestials are described in two different ways.

I seem to change my mind pretty often. :x

Minivivi
MVP
Pet Score:12541
Realm:Medivh-us

Post by Minivivi » December 12th, 2016, 7:39 pm

Posted on Wowhead.com
By NomadKing (1,991 – 1·17·81) 17 days ago (Patch 7.1.0)
After speaking to a GM today he confirmed that we shouldn't be looking for Squirky just yet

http://imgur.com/a/vXXRj

Paladance

Post by Paladance » December 13th, 2016, 2:30 am

Minivivi wrote:Posted on Wowhead.com
By NomadKing (1,991 – 1·17·81) 17 days ago (Patch 7.1.0)
After speaking to a GM today he confirmed that we shouldn't be looking for Squirky just yet

http://imgur.com/a/vXXRj
It was already shown here by the very poster.

Nomadking
Top Rater
Pet Score:13512
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Nomadking » December 16th, 2016, 5:48 am

/wave ;)

Dagris
Top Rater
Pet Score:9380
BattleTag®:Dugoth#1259
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Dagris » December 16th, 2016, 10:16 am

Could just be simple and they decided to add it to Children's Week for Legion or something

Vimtu
MVP
Pet Score:4104
BattleTag®:Vimtu#2916
Realm:Frostmane-eu

Post by Vimtu » April 6th, 2017, 6:47 am

Debunking the March of The Tadpole april 5th event for the squirky pet.

:( whats next?

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13557
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » April 6th, 2017, 11:00 am

It's probably a complete shot in the dark . . . but maybe during Noblegarden? There's an egg link (although a tenuous one) and Noblegarden/spring is the time of cute baby animals . . .

Yeah, I'm reaching! :roll: :lol:
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Paladance

Post by Paladance » April 7th, 2017, 3:41 pm

Today when I was pondering about that awkward location description it came to my mind the acquisition may be akin to the Snowfang battle (that is described "Pet Battle: Snowfang"; not an actual location, but it's also vague without a context).

But well, would have been still there any unnoticed NPCs in any of the (datamined or otherwise) "The Great Sea" zones?

(I wonder…

If there are hidden test abilities & leftovers that can be found only via icon finder… (some examples; the changelog for any ability is up from 7.1.5 only because the Wowhead's database was at some point unstable)

…maybe this same would be true for other stuff? But how to apply it to NPCs anyway? Is it this?)

Nothing interesting here, don't get too excited. :oops:

Hearte
MVP
Pet Score:13912
Realm:Sargeras-us

Post by Hearte » April 7th, 2017, 4:35 pm

Some people were speculating that it could be a new Children's Week pet.

Avalee
Pet Score:6870
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Avalee » April 13th, 2017, 9:14 am

Muffinus tweeted yesterday: https://twitter.com/Muffinus/status/852272636142927872

"Squirky is not yet available, you'll know it when it happens!"

Credit goes to thekillerz on Wowhead.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » April 13th, 2017, 1:06 pm

Avalee wrote:Muffinus tweeted yesterday: https://twitter.com/Muffinus/status/852272636142927872

"Squirky is not yet available, you'll know it when it happens!"

Credit goes to thekillerz on Wowhead.
Thank you so much for pointing this out! Guess that means more waiting for us ;)
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com