The One Million Gold Pet

Share pet collecting news and advice.
N0083rp00f
Pet Score:12806
Realm:Proudmoore-us
Re: The One Million Gold Pet

Post by N0083rp00f » June 11th, 2016, 9:48 am

Digem wrote:
Paladance wrote:I don't get that hate for moths -- rats and otters are in a worse condtition.

How about an installment plan for his items in general? I don't have a mind right now for thinking about the details but it's more a joke anyway. :D
Something like that be cool. Say you have to do some "dailies/chores" for this vendor to get the pet cheaper.
Like collect a lot of mats, drops from bosses in dungeons and raids, drops in pvp etc...
If one is to lazy to do all that they can pay the full price. So it makes it a choice on the player and gives us something to do.
Win/win scenario.
That could actually be implemented as an achievement like any of the get X number of items type.
Each point on the increment bar is either a gold coin or equivalent number of credits for a mini-quest turn-in.
It would be doable with diligence one way or the other.

Heck, such a model is already in use for the collector mounts so this would work as well as a gold / time sink.

Who here has the ear of the developers that they could pass this idea too?

Badpathing
MVP
Pet Score:12840

Post by Badpathing » June 17th, 2016, 11:03 am

Gilneas wrote:
Badpathing wrote: I suppose the problem I have with that position is it sounds an awful lot like resistance to change. Just because you have never seen an expensive vendor pet, doesn't mean there should never be one. I think associating pets with a bit more prestige actually helps the pet content, but that's just me. As for it being hard to justify, how do you figure? You can neither justify against or for the price, as it's completely contingent upon subjective tastes.
And you would be 100% and totally wrong. But it's ok to have wrong opinions.

Since your first reaction was to insult me for choosing to disagree with you, I see no reason to pursue this further.
Sorry, where was the insult? You criticize me for my reaction to your disagreement...but honestly, it seems like the only one reacting poorly to disagreement is you.

I did not insult you, I discussed the topic. I apologize if it hurt your feelings.
Last edited by Badpathing on June 17th, 2016, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Badpathing
MVP

Post by Badpathing » June 17th, 2016, 11:04 am

Quintessence wrote:
Badpathing wrote:As for it being hard to justify, how do you figure? You can neither justify against or for the price, as it's completely contingent upon subjective tastes.
I agree that pet desirability is subjective. However, I think everyone can agree that a BRAND NEW model and skin would justify a higher price tag because 'completely new' is not subjective.

Whether or not the new model and skin is to each individual's liking would be a different matter. It would not remove the fact that the pet would be absolutely new and unique (for the time being at least).
I agree, indeed, my first post in this thread highlighted the fact that for that price (and prestige) the models for the mount and pet should be unique and interesting.

Badpathing
MVP

Post by Badpathing » June 17th, 2016, 11:12 am

I realize that as a 'whale', my perspective is skewed..but I am quite familiar with wanting things that are out of my reach, for one reason or another.

As an example, I'll cite pvp mounts. The only thing I collect with more vigor than pets, are mounts...many of which I simply cannot get. I cannot get them because for the most part, I detest pvp. Ok, there's something out of my reach.

You can argue all you like about how that's different, or how the example isn't the same...but the truth is, it's no different. This game offers carrots and we as players pursue them. Some of them are in reach, some are not based on our play style.

The expensive pets and mounts are indeed going to be out of reach, or difficult to reach, for players who don't have decent ways of massing wealth. But those same players might be great at pvp...

Don't criticize the developer for putting things into the game that don't fit your world-view; it has been shown time and again that there are many, MANY types of players out there and no one way to make them all happy.

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13661
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » June 22nd, 2016, 4:25 am

Badpathing wrote:Don't criticize the developer for putting things into the game that don't fit your world-view; it has been shown time and again that there are many, MANY types of players out there and no one way to make them all happy.
Best comment I've seen regarding this. And 100% true.

Peterc
Pet Score:5382
Realm:Outland-eu

Post by Peterc » June 23rd, 2016, 1:24 pm

Mehetabel wrote:
Badpathing wrote:Don't criticize the developer for putting things into the game that don't fit your world-view; it has been shown time and again that there are many, MANY types of players out there and no one way to make them all happy.
Don't see why people cannot criticize developers if they do not agree with what they have done. Clearly if the number who do is very low they are unlikely to take much interest.

The key here is not the price but the fact that the model is not very interesting which defeats the object imo (if that is to get as many people as possible to spend gold).

Peterc

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » June 23rd, 2016, 9:18 pm

Peterc wrote:
Mehetabel wrote:
Don't see why people cannot criticize developers if they do not agree with what they have done. Clearly if the number who do is very low they are unlikely to take much interest.

The key here is not the price but the fact that the model is not very interesting which defeats the object imo (if that is to get as many people as possible to spend gold).

Peterc

Much more interesting things they can have use do to get a pet like this than just gold. Actually things that give us stuff to do. All this encourages is gold buying from either blizz( So I guess the goal is to make money only for them) or thru illegal means. Seems to me this is very short sighted and solves no real problems with the game and lack of content.

Badpathing
MVP

Post by Badpathing » June 24th, 2016, 12:35 pm

Digem wrote: Much more interesting things they can have use do to get a pet like this than just gold. Actually things that give us stuff to do. All this encourages is gold buying from either blizz( So I guess the goal is to make money only for them) or thru illegal means. Seems to me this is very short sighted and solves no real problems with the game and lack of content.
What?

So...you pick one pet, that is a gold purchase, and say "there are tons of better ways to do this". You dismiss the fact that there ARE tons of other pets with varying difficulties to attain; non-gold based. I could flip that easily by saying "hey, instead of all these rare-catch pets, rare-drop pets, can you could have just made a prestige pet associated with wealth". It's the same argument and only points out the prior point:

There are many types of players.

The assertion that ANYTHING that has a high cost is a money-making scheme is tired. There are plenty, PLENTY of people in this game with large sums of gold who have never touched a token or illegal gold seller resource.

I feel like this topic is done, and all the counter arguments are simply based on some misguided principle. It smacks entirely of entitlement which is masked as some 'principle' or 'ethical' argument.

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » June 24th, 2016, 12:54 pm

Milotha wrote:Gold grief. I still haven't saved up enough money for that damn Yak.
I am in the same boat. The most any one of my characters has in cash is a little over 20k gold... and I keep getting new alts to 70/80 who need to pay for their advanced flight speeds.

Worgenbait
Top Rater
Pet Score:10000
BattleTag®:Worgenbait#1777
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Worgenbait » July 2nd, 2016, 11:26 pm

Okay, after reading all of this, I must definitely be in the minority (and based on the complaining in trade chat, on my server as well) but I have no problem making gold in this game. In fact, it's TOO easy right now. I actually look forward to them cutting garrisons and nerfing item vendor price from older raids, as it will actually make it more challenging. Right now, JUST doing garrisons with my 6 alts, they have made between 60K and 100K each since May 1st (so 2 months). My main, AHing the good stuff they get and running a couple old raids a week (still missing 2 mounts from Dragon Soul dammit), has made 400K.

I work full-time, I don't play hardcore at the moment, and I don't play the AH, yet have no problem making the gold for this mount and pet at that price. I also haven't paid cash for WoW since they brought out the tokens either. I am Santa on my server, I give out 500K worth of stuff every Winterveil. Hell, for the movie premiere, I gave out 150K worth of pets and mounts just because.

So... honestly, I'm stumped here, but how do other people NOT have a lot of gold? Even hardcore raiders and PvPers should have enough time to run one Cata raid a week and maintain garrison missions once a day. That alone should get you a game time token every couple weeks and still save a bit, even with just one character.

I don't want to come off as braggy or condescending, but... it honestly baffles me.

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » July 3rd, 2016, 3:29 am

I'm not sure.

Results of my trial "poll" (well, these are 20 people from quite an isolated community so far, huh? :P) seem pretty inconsistent:

(Sorry for formatting; I've just got them that way)
https://s32.postimg.org/o4n7alorn/asd.jpg
For the record, I'm the #5.

Most popular answers (That list alone makes no sense, is just so you don't have to fetch that from the table!):
  • 35% have declared they had 6-11 characters. Also 35% that they had 12-20 characters. (I've made a typo -.-')
  • 50% have declared they played really only 1 or 2 characters. 35% that up to 5 characters.
  • 45% have declared they used to earn between 25 000 g and 50 000 g on a realm per month.
  • 60% have declared they used to get most of the income from garrison missions.
  • 45% have declared they used to spend most of the income on collections like pets or mounts. 35% that it goes on the WoW Tokens.
  • The guildie has given very mixed feelings. :-) 30% would give 250g but 25% don't see a problem even with 10k!
  • 25% have declared that they had between 200 000 g and 500 000 g. On the other hand, 20% that rather ten times more!
  • 65% have declared that they wouldn't buy any item from Mad Merchant right then. The rest would buy only these they found the most interesting.
  • 45% have declared the items should be ten times cheaper. Also 45% that they should be five times cheaper.
  • 60% have declared they would purchase most interesting items if the financial situation allowed them to do so. 35% that in the future they would eventually reach most of them.
I have also geo tags, but I don't want to make anyone feeling uneasy. :-)

I'm not telling you that these results matter at all. But curiosity chases the cat.

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Pry
Pet Score:8382
Realm:Doomhammer-us

Post by Pry » July 5th, 2016, 6:19 pm

I am a bit late to the thread but I will more than likely be buying it! This expansion has been great for making gold and now I have something to spend it on!

Badpathing
MVP

Post by Badpathing » July 6th, 2016, 5:32 pm

Worgenbait wrote:Okay, after reading all of this, I must definitely be in the minority (and based on the complaining in trade chat, on my server as well) but I have no problem making gold in this game. In fact, it's TOO easy right now. I actually look forward to them cutting garrisons and nerfing item vendor price from older raids, as it will actually make it more challenging. Right now, JUST doing garrisons with my 6 alts, they have made between 60K and 100K each since May 1st (so 2 months). My main, AHing the good stuff they get and running a couple old raids a week (still missing 2 mounts from Dragon Soul dammit), has made 400K.

I work full-time, I don't play hardcore at the moment, and I don't play the AH, yet have no problem making the gold for this mount and pet at that price. I also haven't paid cash for WoW since they brought out the tokens either. I am Santa on my server, I give out 500K worth of stuff every Winterveil. Hell, for the movie premiere, I gave out 150K worth of pets and mounts just because.

So... honestly, I'm stumped here, but how do other people NOT have a lot of gold? Even hardcore raiders and PvPers should have enough time to run one Cata raid a week and maintain garrison missions once a day. That alone should get you a game time token every couple weeks and still save a bit, even with just one character.

I don't want to come off as braggy or condescending, but... it honestly baffles me.
Not condescending at all, I concur. I realize not everyone WANTS to do the fairly easy things to make gold, but that is a choice. As you say, it is incredibly easy in WoD right now to earn gold. Yes, you have to put some work into the garrison and shipyards, but it's pretty straight forward and ends up earning you gold.

Again, it's a choice and I feel those who choose not to do things to earn gold don't have much of an argument against expensive in game content.

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » July 6th, 2016, 10:07 pm

Worgenbait wrote:So... honestly, I'm stumped here, but how do other people NOT have a lot of gold? Even hardcore raiders and PvPers should have enough time to run one Cata raid a week and maintain garrison missions once a day. That alone should get you a game time token every couple weeks and still save a bit, even with just one character.

For myself, it comes down to a combination of the cost of maintaining my alt army and that I just don't enjoy grinding out gold. Between my two accounts, on my primary realm (Feathermoon), I have 22 characters that range from low 90s to 100. Each one needs gold to pay for garrison upgrades... which come faster than the ability to pay for them. Fortunately, these characters all have already gotten all their flight training paid for. On the realm connected to my main realm (Scarlet Crusade), I have 10 characters between my two accounts. Now, one of those characters is a placeholder for my future gnome hunter and has not been played at all. The others range in level from my gnome warrior (my lowest level played character at 25) to 3 at level 100. Four of these characters are high enough level to go to Draenor (the 3 at 100 plus one at 94), one is 81, one is almost 70 and two are in their low 60s. Even if you figure the cost at 4k each time I have gotten the higher levels of flight... that comes out to over 200k that I have spent on flight alone (and that does not count the cost of the lower levels of flight). Add in the costs of my garrisons (I have 14 that are at level 3 on these realms). This is on my primary realm (and the realm connected to that realm) alone. Of all the realms where I play, this is where I have the most gold (and since I have a total of 28 characters at level 100, I have 14 more level 3 garrisons on my alt realms).

On top of that, I have several guilds (4 horde side, 3 alliance) on my primary realm for personal storage. Each of these has 7 guild bank tabs. I have also helped friends buy the higher ranks of flight a couple of times.

I expect that if I only played a single character, I would have a LOT more gold than I do. Oh, if I really worked at it, I am sure that I could build up my gold higher than I have, even with all these expenses, but that is not something that I find fun (I actually prefer to work on my lower level alts than to mess with my max level ones' garrisons), so it is a slow process for me... and whenever I do start to build up my gold to a decent amount, there is generally another expense that pops up. Maybe it's a new pet on the AH. Maybe it is an alt that needs riding training. Maybe it is something else (I spent so much gold buying heirlooms and upgrading them all to level 90, that I have refused to ever spend another copper on heirlooms again).

...and really, once I have paid for the things I want for my characters and account, I don't really NEED a lot of gold, so I am not willing to grind gold just for the sake of having a lot of gold, especially since doing that is not something that I enjoy.

I do recognize that it is a trade off... and those people who enjoy grinding gold will always have more than I do. I just place a greater value on doing things that I find fun than I do on virtual money. So I figure that I won't be getting this pet, and accept that, as I have accepted that I will never get any of the collector's edition pets from StarCraft or Diablo, etc.
Last edited by Maizing on July 6th, 2016, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ranok
MVP
Pet Score:13640
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Ranok » July 6th, 2016, 10:37 pm

Considering there's EBay listings for mid-2000's Blizzcon pets for over 3K - in Real Dollars - of course the Crazy Cat Lady pet collectors are gonna buy this pet. I'm too practical to do something so foolish .. oops, just remembered my 108K G Grand Yak mount.

Every expansion, Gold gets so much easier to accumulate. And trickier to find things to spend it on. Buy epic gear, next patch it's obsolete. So why not save up to get bragging rights on something silly like having your own 1 million goldsink.

Samiha
Top Rater
Pet Score:13243
Realm:Ambossar-eu

Post by Samiha » July 14th, 2016, 3:27 pm

I could buy it - I have enough gold - but I don't think I will. 1 million is still a lot of gold and I don't like the look of the pet enough, that for me, it is worth 1 million :( . Perhaps if the pet had an unique apperance, but it's just a starry hippo.

Auryan
Pet Score:7912
Realm:Dalaran-us

Post by Auryan » August 22nd, 2016, 8:19 pm

Auryan wrote:
Nikkip wrote:there is not a pet in this game worth that much. So no I will not pay for it. Looking at its abilities it isn't that unique either. For a re-skin no thank you. Not worth it
Now on that I would have to disagree with you; I would gladly pay 1MM each for the old collectors editions, mini tyrael, etc. But a celestial river calf does not make me open my wallet. That freaky spider mount on the other hand...
Oh, the old collector editions and mini tyrael I would absolutely drain my bank account for those you are correct. :lol:

Unknownhand
Top Rater
Pet Score:5589
Realm:Haomarush-us

Post by Unknownhand » August 23rd, 2016, 10:01 am

At the current rate of tokens you can buy from wow and sell on the AH for gold it would cost you somewhere around 660 dollars to buy this pet. O_O

Saasan
Top Rater
Pet Score:5353
BattleTag®:Dredre#1692
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Saasan » August 29th, 2016, 5:54 pm

Auryan wrote:
Auryan wrote:
Nikkip wrote:there is not a pet in this game worth that much. So no I will not pay for it. Looking at its abilities it isn't that unique either. For a re-skin no thank you. Not worth it
Now on that I would have to disagree with you; I would gladly pay 1MM each for the old collectors editions, mini tyrael, etc. But a celestial river calf does not make me open my wallet. That freaky spider mount on the other hand...
Oh, the old collector editions and mini tyrael I would absolutely drain my bank account for those you are correct. :lol:
10,000% what you said. The things I would do for a Tyraelbwould far surpass the things I would do a for a Klondike Bar.... River Calf? Nope. Saying no way to a pet is kinda hard, though...