Plan for getting your CE pets

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Dazz
Pet Score:3827
BattleTag®:abbystarlite#1845
Realm:Silver Hand-us
Plan for getting your CE pets

Post by Dazz » January 10th, 2016, 1:48 am

I am starting to get to that point in my collection near the end where the ones left to obtain are the hardest ones. I've got challenging Achievement pets and Recruit a Friend pets I need, but when it comes to the CE pets like Panda Cub, Treasure Goblin, Baneling, Mini Thor etc.. I'm not sure what my plan is for spending the money to get those because I'm just not in a place financially where the prices of those collector's editions are affordable for me. Plus I don't play those other Blizzard games and don't really have a desire to, so it's really just a big price tag for the one pet the CE's come with. I do check eBay and I never see them cheap. Are the costs of the expensive CE's a purchase you are willing to spend that kind of money on, if just for the pet? Or are you accepting that you just may not end up getting them at all until they become more affordable or able to be obtained in a different way that doesn't involve a high price tag?
Last edited by Dazz on January 10th, 2016, 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Milotha
Top Rater
Pet Score:5471
BattleTag®:milotha#1158

Re: Plan for getting your CE pets

Post by Milotha » January 10th, 2016, 3:44 am

It's OK if I don't have the CE edition pets. I'll live, though I would love that panda. I figure I have a few rare pets and that is kinda how it works. I hope someday they will be added to the store.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » January 10th, 2016, 4:05 am

Milotha wrote:I hope someday they will be added to the store.
This is my take on CE pets as well. It would be nice if they decided to add all of the CE pets to the store (even at marked up prices), but I won't be upset if they never do.

I've already resigned myself to the fact that my collection will never truly be 100% complete, and I'm ok with that. If there's a pet that I can reasonably collect, I'll do it for sure. But some of the CE pets are so out of reach, I'm not going to sweat it.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Dazz
Pet Score:3827
BattleTag®:abbystarlite#1845

Post by Dazz » January 10th, 2016, 4:11 am

At Blizzcon they had the Treasure Goblin plushie for sale. I was thinking how nice it would be if they had another buying option for ALL the CE in game pets which would be to buy the plushie and it comes with the in game pet code (like Wind Rider Cub)

Ranok
MVP
Pet Score:13640
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Ranok » January 10th, 2016, 12:11 pm

Dazz wrote:At Blizzcon they had the Treasure Goblin plushie for sale. I was thinking how nice it would be if they had another buying option for ALL the CE in game pets which would be to buy the plushie and it comes with the in game pet code (like Wind Rider Cub)
Personally I respect Blizz's restraint in NOT adding old CE pets to the store every now and then. It would be an easy way for them to get more of our money (which you've noticed they're good at).

It would also be a huge betrayal of the pet collectors who, over the years, have agonized over spending real money for a one-time opportunity to get one more pet and perhaps one more never-played Blizzard game in a closet somewhere.

Darolyn
Pet Score:5488
BattleTag®:Thaliana#1794
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Post by Darolyn » January 10th, 2016, 4:54 pm

Well, since the Powerball didn't pan out for me....

Give up on the Vanilla CE for now. Again, if I win the lottery, well...yeah.

I've talked my partner into buying me the Burning Crusade CE. (He crashed a $2500 quadcopter a week ago, he cannot talk or tell me I can't buy something).

The Diablo ones, hoping madly for something like the StarCraft bundle. (Love how it autocorrects to a capital C in the middle of the word).

Mini Tyrael, and the other nearly unobtainables, well, again, lottery.

Those are my pipedream plans for the CE pets I do not have. Win the lottery. ;)
Thaliana#1794 - My WoW account has 50 toons, so I would so greatly appreciate people creating toons on Kael'Thas or Ghostlands to trade with me. <3

Jazeel
Pet Score:9583
Realm:Saurfang-us

Post by Jazeel » January 10th, 2016, 11:27 pm

winning the lottery is my plan too, either that or marry someone filthy rich and easily manipulated :twisted:

Khorah
Pet Score:11506
BattleTag®:Khorah#1833
Realm:Medivh-us

Post by Khorah » January 11th, 2016, 12:36 pm

Darolyn wrote:Well, since the Powerball didn't pan out for me....

Give up on the Vanilla CE for now. Again, if I win the lottery, well...yeah.

Mini Tyrael, and the other nearly unobtainables, well, again, lottery.

Win the lottery. ;)
pretty much this --^

Ah well.. :ugeek:

Waflob
Pet Score:4117
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Waflob » January 12th, 2016, 2:58 am

Jazeel wrote:winning the lottery is my plan too, either that or marry someone filthy rich and easily manipulated :twisted:
I'm not filthy rich, but I am easily manipulated - call the glass half full? :-)

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13557
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » January 20th, 2016, 7:36 am

I'm still missing the Diablo CE Fetish Shaman, not something I can buy right now but hopefully at some point this year.

The other one I need is Mini Tyrael. So yeah, lotto win needed! :roll:
Ranok wrote:Personally I respect Blizz's restraint in NOT adding old CE pets to the store every now and then. It would be an easy way for them to get more of our money (which you've noticed they're good at).

It would also be a huge betrayal of the pet collectors who, over the years, have agonized over spending real money for a one-time opportunity to get one more pet and perhaps one more never-played Blizzard game in a closet somewhere.
I rather agree with this. Whilst I do feel for people that don't have them, I've personally spent a HUGE amount of real money buying CE pets on ebay. The Vanilla CE was particularly pricey. :shock: If they added them to the store for a fraction of the amount I would definitely be very upset.

However, I do like what they are starting to do with the China promotion pets as those are something that has never been available, at any cost, to players in the EU and US.
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Ziboo
MVP
Pet Score:11331
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Ziboo » January 20th, 2016, 5:37 pm

I respect those that are willing to lay down their $$ for CE editions of games that they won't play. I just can't. I don't mind giving Blizzard money in their cash shop for pets, but I do somewhat resent having to buy a game I don't want to play to get a another pet!

So, I'll never be anywhere near complete, but that's okay.

I do agree though as much as I'd love some of the CE ones or only can get from xyz, it would to totally be a betrayal to those that already earned them.

Waflob
Pet Score:4117
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Waflob » January 21st, 2016, 5:01 am

Ziboo wrote:I do agree though as much as I'd love some of the CE ones or only can get from xyz, it would to totally be a betrayal to those that already earned them.
Sadly, I don't think that the spreadsheet cowboys who now ru(i)n the company care about this.
I don't have any CE versions of any of their games and I still don't want them to make these items available easily.

However, if they piss off 10 people who then stop p(l)aying, but make 10000 more happy, who buy the pet and p(l)ay more, there will become a point where the business case is more important than the feelings of a few players.

There was a time, when Blizzard was Blizzard and games were made by gamers for gamers. Unfortunately, the games are now made by accountants for shareholders and the mighty dollar makes the decisions. I know this sounds cynical and I want to be wrong, but the public statements made by 'people' such as Kotick show how they think.

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » January 21st, 2016, 3:41 pm

I got Diablo 3 for the treasure goblin (never even played it once) and was lucky enough to find a cheap Cataclysm CE for sale so I have Deathy too. That's as much as I'm willing to spend on games I won't play just to get pets, so I consider the other CE pets permanently out of my reach.

Currently resisting the temptation to spend £50 on Overwatch, but Baby Winston just looks so damn cool. :shock: :roll:

Ziboo
MVP
Pet Score:11331
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Ziboo » January 21st, 2016, 7:13 pm

Waflob I agree with you on that. Sadly the accountants do have too much of a say in gaming. Not to digress but so many games over the past 6-8 years were ruined trying to "beat WoW", when all they needed to do was make a good game not be the WoW-Killer.

I would feel the pain of those that have shelled out $$$ on Ebay or just bought games for a pet, and then we'd be able to buy them off the cash shop. But I would buy them. (Such a double standard!!!)

Lail
Pet Score:5008
Realm:Tanaris-us

Post by Lail » January 21st, 2016, 7:41 pm

I can't afford to spend that kind of money but I think that eventually they might add them.

People don't have to like it, they are a company and companies are supposed to make money.

I paid a lot of money for a Starcraft 2 CE that I decided to add well after release so it was a lot more expensive and not long ago they released a pack that gave you all the CE Starcraft pets that was WAY less than what I spent. It is irritating but I'm not upset that more pet collectors get to have the pets now.

Jazeel
Pet Score:9583
Realm:Saurfang-us

Post by Jazeel » January 23rd, 2016, 5:34 am

i just read waflobs post in reply to mine :shock: or should that be :twisted:

Laraven
Pet Score:7886
BattleTag®:LaRaven#1620
Realm:Korgath-us

Post by Laraven » January 25th, 2016, 3:56 am

I don't think that future CE pets will be an issue any longer as it seems Blizz is keeping the option to purchase CE's via download from the store. I Started playing late Wrath, and in Cata I bought my first CE and also went back and bought BC and Wrath off eBay. I think I spent a little over $100 for each one. I didn't however get the first Diablo CE and Im kicking myself in the ass for it. It's now $250. I hate Diabo...I also hate SC2 and bought there pets as well just because I didn't want the price to go up. But it seems we are safe from this happening now. Thanks to the Blizz Store.

Thaysula
Pet Score:6596
BattleTag®:Thaysula#1842
Realm:Khaz'goroth-us

Post by Thaysula » January 28th, 2016, 3:41 am

For me the hard to get ones will be the PvP torn ones (as I really don't like PvP) and the limited time ones like the Vampire Batling and the one from molten core anniversary.
I've been playing wow since a year into so have all the CEs (although did have to chase down the vanilla one).
And I play Diablo & Starcraft so got the CEs of them.
The first CE I'll get that I'm not sure if I'll play the game is the overwatch one.

While adding them to the store would be OK, it would also be nice if we could sell/trade the duplicates of the old CEs as only 1 was needed to add to the pet page, I have spares of some of the CE mounts and pets. That could be a way to add them back into the game without flooding the market too much.

Like many have already said I'll just have to accept that 100% is not a doable thing.
Which is good, as it takes some presume off given I was ill for a few months last year so ended up taking a break from pet collecting, so I still have even some wild ones to go and get :)