Is Graves REALLY Worth It?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Aladrias
Pet Score:5989
Realm:Thunderhorn-us
Is Graves REALLY Worth It?

Post by Aladrias » July 11th, 2015, 6:43 am

I downloaded Heroes of the Storm to get to level 20 and get [pet]Graves[/pet]. I'm only up to level 6 and already I'm ready to bang my head against a wall. Is it really worth it? And if so, any tips on leveling up faster?

Melmo
MVP
Pet Score:11046
BattleTag®:Melmo#1842
Realm:Whisperwind-us

Re: Is Graves REALLY Worth It?

Post by Melmo » July 11th, 2015, 8:11 am

I guess I was really lucky, I actually enjoy HotS and am now level 40. Graves is a good battle pet (both PvP and PvE) and she's just cute as can be. Level 20 is a long grind but I think it's worth it in the end. You must decide yourself if you want to put in the time and effort.

I'd be happy to help you level, you get extra XP if you have friends in your party. I usually play in the mornings Eastern time if that's something you would like to do. At level 10 you get a stimpack (double XP) for 7 days, so if you really grind in those 7 days you will see the levels moving fast. Don't give up!

Peterc
Pet Score:5382
Realm:Outland-eu

Post by Peterc » July 11th, 2015, 11:49 am

I expected to put this on my exclusion list as I do not pay real money for a pet, but as the game was free I felt I had to give it a go. I was lucky as I got my son to try it first and he got to L20 before he lost interest (happy days!).

From what I have read he is very good for both PVE and PVP so if you battle he is worth it. Of course if you collect he is a must (according to my rules). If however you cant stick it out to get him, just put him on your exclude list and move on.

All the best with your decision.

Peterc

Aladrias
Pet Score:5989
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Aladrias » July 11th, 2015, 6:54 pm

Thank you for the offer! I'm on the Asian server though, as I'm in Australia and HotS gave me a big lecture when I tried to go on US (Yeah, I should have gone on US, like I am with WoW). I think the stimpack sounds awesome and a good encouragement to keep at it, thanks!
Melmo wrote:I guess I was really lucky, I actually enjoy HotS and am now level 40. Graves is a good battle pet (both PvP and PvE) and she's just cute as can be. Level 20 is a long grind but I think it's worth it in the end. You must decide yourself if you want to put in the time and effort.

I'd be happy to help you level, you get extra XP if you have friends in your party. I usually play in the mornings Eastern time if that's something you would like to do. At level 10 you get a stimpack (double XP) for 7 days, so if you really grind in those 7 days you will see the levels moving fast. Don't give up!

Ranok
MVP
Pet Score:13640
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Ranok » July 11th, 2015, 11:13 pm

Normally don't pay Real Money for pets but made an exception this time, offered my grandson money to do the HotS stuff that I find painful and he enjoys.

Adorabella_x
MVP
Pet Score:6944
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Adorabella_x » July 12th, 2015, 4:17 am

Yes he it! So glad I stuck with HoS as I love the game now!

My advice would be to play with friends - and use the boosters :D

Post by Guest » July 12th, 2015, 11:10 am

Personally, I have no love for HoTS, but what can you do when you collect and Blizzard ties one thing to another to get you to try their game? :)

Playing with friends and with XP boost make it go faster and if you play against the AI if I remember correctly you are XP capped at a certain amount every 24 hours.

The best thing to do, even if you dislike HoTS, is set aside time for 1-2 games and just go do it. Even if it takes a while, eventually you will be done. If you never start, you will never finish. It doesn't have to be done in a week or two to get Graves. Just occasionally grind a hour here or there and your new little Graves buddy will be yours.

Go for it, you will be glad you did. :) If I did it, anyone can, believe me. We will be cheering you on as you get to the finish line and claim Graves as your own. ;)

Finnelis
Pet Score:9316
Realm:Kirin Tor-eu

Post by Finnelis » July 13th, 2015, 3:55 am

Despite having played LoL a few years ago I really wasn't looking forward to getting graves and I must admit that after the tutorial I thought it would be a long and terrible grind. Turned out I was wrong! While this is clearly not my type of game, I still found myself enjoying it after a fashion. The gameplay is much less punitive than LoL or dota2 and the games have built-in mechanisms to keep them short.

As an aside, for the purpose of getting xp and therefore the achievement, winning isn’t all that important as what matters is the xp collected by your team during the match. This in turns lowers the pressure to ‘perform’ making the grind much less painful.
Last edited by Finnelis on July 13th, 2015, 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » July 13th, 2015, 4:06 am

I found that I did not really care for Hots myself, but getting to 20 wasn't too bad. I mostly played solo with AI team-mates against the computer. Since they only allow you to gain so much xp from matches against the computer and reset it 24 hours after you hit the cap, I basically played every other day for however long it took me to reach that point. Once I stopped getting xp for the day, I was done with the game for at least 24 hours unless a friend invited me to join them for quick matches.

After I got my real account to level 20, I actually went ahead and did the same for my RAF account (which I had made just for the extra wow licenses to get the RAF pets).

Wolfblood
Pet Score:5513
Realm:Frostmourne-us

Post by Wolfblood » July 13th, 2015, 11:37 am

I played a mix of Players vs AI and Players vs Players. It took me a total of 80 wins at around 15 minutes per game to hit level 20. I played around 7 hours a day for the past 3 days (on my days off heh). Graves was well worth it, it packs a heck of a punch and is a damn awesome pet. Just a shame it really does take a fair bit of effort to get this one :D

Moonie1
Top Rater
Pet Score:3510
BattleTag®:Moondoggie#1666
Realm:Lothar-us

Post by Moonie1 » July 14th, 2015, 11:50 pm

I made it into Alpha from the start, but didnt bother playing as I had no spare time between Hearthstone, Diablo 3 and raiding in WoW. I let my nephew play on my account whenever he was over, so he got a few heroes a few levels for me. When Graves was announced, I anticipated what would be required and started playing which was during the beta phase. I got hooked. Eventually I leveled up to 40 to get the golden beta portrait. Now I wish I had done so in alpha. :p

I only play now due to time restraints when I have 3 quests or to level any hero to 5 that I havent already. That list is growing very very short. I like the game so much I actually have been getting friends accounts to 20 for them to get Graves (since I can play HotS without bumping them out of WoW on their account).

quick tips on efficiency: Stim Pack (double xps), queue with a friend (+50k xps) and you get almost double xps for Quick Match, but its alot more complex match than playing against the AI.