Three events at once is two too many

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Twilight
Top Rater
Pet Score:1404
Realm:Hellscream-us
Three events at once is two too many

Post by Twilight » February 6th, 2012, 1:07 am

The Lunar Festival, Love is in the Air, and Dark Moon Faire are all going on at the same time. I figure everyone who cares has finished with the first, but the second two are actually a pain in the butt for starting on the same day. If you're collecting grisly tokens for DMF, you will not collect lovely charms (possibly until you've found all 250 and turned the quest in).

Too much of a good thing, or just confusing?

Moritach
MVP
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Re: Three events at once is two too many

Post by Moritach » February 6th, 2012, 1:39 am

It didn't bother me at all, quite the opposite... but I do have a lot of time to spare and can sink hours upon hours into wow in one go. For people who don't have this luxury I can well imagine that it's a bit much in one go. Being a healer I always had to farm like crazy to get the 250 tokens as they used to only be awarded to the player who got a killing blow... so for me it didn't make a great deal of difference farming wise. I will however recommend icecrown for people looking to farm charms. If you have your hs set to dalaran or you're farming more than the daily 40 charms it's a great spot to stomp lev 80 non-elites! ^^

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » February 6th, 2012, 2:33 am

I agree with Moritach about Icecrown for the charms AND the grisly tokens (for max level toons looking for a place to farm efficiently and quickly). Many mobs spawn in packs and with a fairly fast respawn timer.

If your main collector is working on the 250 grisly tokens and you can't receive both the tokens and the charms at the same time, you could try having an alt or someone else farm the Lovely Charms for you since I think they're tradable.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Lysi » February 6th, 2012, 3:25 am

My husband said he was getting alternating drops of charms and tokens. He's a very casual player and he was a bit overwhelmed, though. I don't really see the point of piling on all the holidays.

Personally I just decide on a few priorities, don't usually hit the holidays hard or do all the achievements. Since I have a mount collector now, I'll be playing her mostly this week. It is pretty easy to find mobs that drop quickly, I went to the Fleshwerks (side area with quick respawn) in Ice Crown last time. Or farm something at the same time, like Volatile Air.
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

Harval
MVP
Pet Score:4699
Realm:Aggramar-us

Post by Harval » February 6th, 2012, 4:50 am

If you make the commitment and want to call yourself a "collector" of any type, I think you have to be willing to do the work and put in the time. Otherwise, everyone is a "collector". Collectors are supposed to be special breeds, I don't want anything just handed to me and I would prefer it not be an easy task that everyone is going to do. Darkmoon Faire is fairly quick and simple, nothing I could call a hardcore grind. Most people will not be farming their own artifacts during the Faire itself because of how rare they drop now and how hard it is to win them, so that leaves just the daily stuff which you can accomplish in 10 minutes of playing. Not very trying or overwhelming, at least not to me. I enjoy the Faire because it does take some time to collect everything, even though most of the time is just waiting instead of grinding. It allows true collectors to stand out because of the other rewards available, and people who aren't collectors probably will not be put in time/gold for a pet or mount each month.

As for your worry you cannot collect both at once, yes you can. Grisly Trophies are a static drop on anything you kill that would give EXP or honor. Lovely Charms are not static drops whether you have the DMF quest or not, they are RNG based. I've killed 10 enemies in a row without one dropping, other times 5 in a row will drop. You most certainly can obtain both at once because I obtained 4 stacks of charms while completing the Strength quest this month. It actually is a good thing, because you are working on two goals at the same time while doing the same amount of work you would be doing anyway.

Korinth
Pet Score:8851
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Korinth » February 6th, 2012, 7:51 am

I kinda like having three events at once. It sure beats sitting around in Org doing nothing. XD

I have had the worst luck on those charms though. They don't want to drop for me. I have been killing and killing and killing and it's like... "NO CHARMS FOR YOU!".

Moritach
MVP
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Moritach » February 6th, 2012, 8:41 am

Harval wrote:If you make the commitment and want to call yourself a "collector" of any type, I think you have to be willing to do the work and put in the time. Otherwise, everyone is a "collector". Collectors are supposed to be special breeds, I don't want anything just handed to me and I would prefer it not be an easy task that everyone is going to do. Darkmoon Faire is fairly quick and simple, nothing I could call a hardcore grind. Most people will not be farming their own artifacts during the Faire itself because of how rare they drop now and how hard it is to win them, so that leaves just the daily stuff which you can accomplish in 10 minutes of playing. Not very trying or overwhelming, at least not to me. I enjoy the Faire because it does take some time to collect everything, even though most of the time is just waiting instead of grinding. It allows true collectors to stand out because of the other rewards available, and people who aren't collectors probably will not be put in time/gold for a pet or mount each month.

As for your worry you cannot collect both at once, yes you can. Grisly Trophies are a static drop on anything you kill that would give EXP or honor. Lovely Charms are not static drops whether you have the DMF quest or not, they are RNG based. I've killed 10 enemies in a row without one dropping, other times 5 in a row will drop. You most certainly can obtain both at once because I obtained 4 stacks of charms while completing the Strength quest this month. It actually is a good thing, because you are working on two goals at the same time while doing the same amount of work you would be doing anyway.
I killed 250 mobs and got 250 tokens without getting a single charm, I couldn't collect any charms before I had handed the DMF quest in. That's not just RNG, that stinks of awesomely bugged out coding. :P

Domie
Top Rater
Pet Score:9549
BattleTag®:Domie#2293
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Post by Domie » February 6th, 2012, 1:18 pm

I can see why some would think its annoying to have them all pilling up, but if the events are linked to specific days (as i think it is), i dont think they should go ahead and change that.
If you feel like you dont have the time, there is always something you can skip, like in love is in the air, you can buy the mount on the AH, the darkmoon faire you dont really have to do the dailies, because you gain by far the most of your prize tickets from on time quests, and lunar festival you already had 2 weeks to do, and there is no dailies.

It did seem overwhelming on the calendar, but really, i dont see it being a problem :)

Twilight
Top Rater
Pet Score:1404
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Twilight » February 6th, 2012, 7:50 pm

Harval wrote:If you make the commitment and want to call yourself a "collector" of any type, I think you have to be willing to do the work and put in the time. Otherwise, everyone is a "collector". Collectors are supposed to be special breeds, I don't want anything just handed to me and I would prefer it not be an easy task that everyone is going to do. Darkmoon Faire is fairly quick and simple, nothing I could call a hardcore grind. Most people will not be farming their own artifacts during the Faire itself because of how rare they drop now and how hard it is to win them, so that leaves just the daily stuff which you can accomplish in 10 minutes of playing. Not very trying or overwhelming, at least not to me. I enjoy the Faire because it does take some time to collect everything, even though most of the time is just waiting instead of grinding. It allows true collectors to stand out because of the other rewards available, and people who aren't collectors probably will not be put in time/gold for a pet or mount each month.
Wow. I'll just take my "collection" and go home then. You sure told me.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » February 6th, 2012, 8:38 pm

To each their own, I say. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to collect since it's more of an individualistic task and style of gameplay. There may be those that are more "hardcore" and others that take collecting more slowly and leisurely, but a collector is a collector in my book regardless and all are welcome here at WarcraftPets. The main requirement: Love mini-pets!

But back onto the main topic at hand, I can't even remember the last time when we had THREE in-game events all at once like this. Part of me is hoping that it's an omen for things to come in this year of 2012, year of the dragon. Good or bad, it's definitely something to take note of!
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Harval
MVP
Pet Score:4699
Realm:Aggramar-us

Post by Harval » February 6th, 2012, 11:49 pm

Twilight wrote:
Wow. I'll just take my "collection" and go home then. You sure told me.
No offense intended, but this is partly why people over on the official forums get annoyed with pet collectors. They feel we believe we are entitled to everything and don't feel we are interested in doing anything to actually acquire it. I always stand rigidly against that, it's just my prerogative. You can be a pet collector and not treat it the way I do, there are different types of pet collectors. I am attempting not to use the word "casual" here because I find it to be offensive, at least to me, to direct at anything in WoW. I personally just like the challenge, and I feel largely pet collecting lacks that challenge I so love. In the old days there were lots of pets you rarely ever saw and had a high difficulty to obtain, whether it was by RNG commitment or timed holidays or whatever. Forgive my zeal on this, it's just the most enjoyable aspect of collecting to me. I love challenges and time sinks.

Sorry if you took any offense, I didn't intend any.

If anyone is experiencing a bug between DMF and LiitA, I would report it on the Bug Forum or send a message to the GM. I assure you that is not the way it was intended to work and I can attest that it worked fine for me.

Korinth
Pet Score:8851
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Korinth » February 7th, 2012, 8:05 am

So.... thanks to the three events, I managed to get two more pets in one day! :D I got the Lunar Lantern and the Darkmoon cub within an hour of each other. AND had I not already had the toxic wasteling, I would've gotten it too since it dropped for me. Its BOP otherwise I would've sent it to one of my other toons. :( But I stuck it in my bank in case that changes in the future. Whoop whoop on getting lots of pets in one day though! :D