Are there any poor quality only pets?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Africanleopard
Pet Score:5560
Realm:Caelestrasz-us
Are there any poor quality only pets?

Post by Africanleopard » April 30th, 2015, 8:58 am

Hello

Sorry if this was asked before. I did a forum search - perhaps my search parameters were a bit off. I just want to confirm that all wild pets come in all flavors of rarity.

Thanks

Africanleopard
Pet Score:5560
Realm:Caelestrasz-us

Re: Are there any poor quality only pets?

Post by Africanleopard » April 30th, 2015, 9:52 am

Thanks for the response! At least I know now that if pet number 50 is still grey - its the RNG gods that hate me.

Although I think they hate me anyway, because I was fighting level 23-25 pets in Jade Forest with my level 17-19 pets and I killed the level 25 rare due to RNG enormous crit. I was flabbergasted - LOL.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » April 30th, 2015, 1:26 pm

Short direct answer: no, there's no wild pets that are poor quality only.

Back at the very start of MoP however, there were a few pets that were only available up to uncommon/green quality. I think it was Jungle Grub, Silent Hedgehog and Clouded Hedgehog? Anyhow it was fixed by the next patch (5.1?) and I haven't seen an issue like that since.

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » April 30th, 2015, 5:05 pm

Peanutty wrote:Short direct answer: no, there's no wild pets that are poor quality only.

Back at the very start of MoP however, there were a few pets that were only available up to uncommon/green quality. I think it was Jungle Grub, Silent Hedgehog and Clouded Hedgehog? Anyhow it was fixed by the next patch (5.1?) and I haven't seen an issue like that since.
Yeah, I believe those are the pets used to come only in uncommon (green) quality, but that has been fixed for some time now.

Pettea
Pet Score:2181
Realm:Ahn'Qiraj-eu

Post by Pettea » April 30th, 2015, 7:09 pm

The dragon from the menagerie reward tends to come in poor quality, but pretty sure it's not exclusive.

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » May 1st, 2015, 1:48 am

I can't think of any poor-only pets, but there is atleast one Common-only: [pet]Elekk Plushie[/pet]..

And then ofc the long list of Uncommon-only pets (cba to find link on my iPad)..

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » May 1st, 2015, 1:05 pm

Pettea wrote:The dragon from the menagerie reward tends to come in poor quality, but pretty sure it's not exclusive.
FuxieDK wrote:I can't think of any poor-only pets, but there is atleast one Common-only: [pet]Elekk Plushie[/pet]..

And then ofc the long list of Uncommon-only pets (cba to find link on my iPad)..
OP was asking about wild pets so the "no" still stands AFAIK. :)

The Albino Chimeraling from the menagerie has been fixed from what I've seen and should be correctly dropping as a rare now.

The uncommon-only, non-wild pet list is here: http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2978

Annier
Pet Score:3857
Realm:The Venture Co-us

Post by Annier » May 4th, 2015, 1:48 am

While there are no presently poor only pets, there are plenty of pets where poor is the most common quality of them. However, if you are going to pet battle, quality is effectively meaningless because it is so easy to get upgrade stones. What is much more important is the pet breed, because presently there is no way to change breed, whereas I have a few hundred pet upgrade stones sitting on an alt somewhere.

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » May 4th, 2015, 6:31 am

Yes and no. Breed is important, but I wouldn't say it is the only thing to worry about. Remember, upgrade stones are only "easy" if you have a stockpile of them already. For a new collector, they are still looking at months and months of tamer dailies to get their whole collection rarified, or a seriously big stack of pet charms.

I mostly hunted down rare wild pets, and saved stones for those pets which only come in green quality, and I remember it still took me several months before my collection was all blue.

Annier

Post by Annier » May 4th, 2015, 7:25 am

Having an all blue B/B collection will get you having to get a hundred pets again for the right breed, whereas getting the right breed means you level the right breed and can stone it.

So which takes less time?

Getting the right breed the first time that is not rare and getting a stone for it

or

Trying to find a rare with the right breed then leveling it

or

As you suggest: Get a rare, level it to 25, realize you need an actual specific breed, go find a pet of the right breed, realize it is not rare, keep hunting for the rare of the right breed and then level it again to 25?

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » May 4th, 2015, 2:30 pm

Annier wrote:Having an all blue B/B collection will get you having to get a hundred pets again for the right breed, whereas getting the right breed means you level the right breed and can stone it.

So which takes less time?

Getting the right breed the first time that is not rare and getting a stone for it

or

Trying to find a rare with the right breed then leveling it

or

As you suggest: Get a rare, level it to 25, realize you need an actual specific breed, go find a pet of the right breed, realize it is not rare, keep hunting for the rare of the right breed and then level it again to 25?
Thankfully the chances of one extreme or another happening in reality is almost nil.

From my own experience I would suggest the following, especially to newer players (assuming they have a few upgrade stones at their disposal):
- Pick up and keep rares you come across, regardless of breed.
- If a pet has a specific breed you are looking for, pick up and keep one of that breed, regardless of the rarity.
- Keep hunting for a rare with the desired breed. If you finally can't take it and are losing your mind over hours of hunting, consider stoning the desired breed one you already picked up (or come back another day and try again).
- The exception would be pets that are hard to find (i.e. Minfernal) in which case, count yourself lucky if you get the breed you want and stone it when you can.

Also keep in mind that not every single pet you have needs to be "optimal." Will you really use a dozen S/S rabbits? Probably not, and in some cases a different breed might be better. I personally like keeping as wide a variety of breeds as possible, which means I do collect B/Bs too.

Melmo
MVP
Pet Score:11046
BattleTag®:Melmo#1842
Realm:Whisperwind-us

Post by Melmo » May 4th, 2015, 9:01 pm

Peanutty wrote:Thankfully the chances of one extreme or another happening in reality is almost nil.

From my own experience I would suggest the following, especially to newer players (assuming they have a few upgrade stones at their disposal):
- Pick up and keep rares you come across, regardless of breed.
- If a pet has a specific breed you are looking for, pick up and keep one of that breed, regardless of the rarity.
- Keep hunting for a rare with the desired breed. If you finally can't take it and are losing your mind over hours of hunting, consider stoning the desired breed one you already picked up (or come back another day and try again).
- The exception would be pets that are hard to find (i.e. Minfernal) in which case, count yourself lucky if you get the breed you want and stone it when you can.

Also keep in mind that not every single pet you have needs to be "optimal." Will you really use a dozen S/S rabbits? Probably not, and in some cases a different breed might be better. I personally like keeping as wide a variety of breeds as possible, which means I do collect B/Bs too.
^ This right here from Peanutty is great advice. There are some pets where B/B is my preferred breed (Crystal Spider, Wanderer's Festival Hatchling, Elfin Rabbit, Harpy Youngling, Fawn, etc.) because just that tiny edge of health/power/speed over the other available breeds could mean the difference between life & death or an extra hit in the Celestial Tournament or wild battles. It's not the preferred breed for most, but honestly, the loads of pets with identical movesets (most of the rabbits, roaches, beetles, snakes, rats/mice, ) and you come across a rare B/B in the wild... you might as well just keep it, level it, and be done with it because you'll likely never ever use it ;)

Annier

Post by Annier » May 8th, 2015, 8:01 am

Melmo wrote:and you come across a rare B/B in the wild... you might as well just keep it, level it, and be done with it because you'll likely never ever use it ;)
And you prove my point by trying in saying I am wrong.