Newish to WOW

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Gnomechopski
Pet Score:932
BattleTag®:ComMerce#1221
Realm:Agamaggan-us
Newish to WOW

Post by Gnomechopski » April 15th, 2015, 11:35 am

Hi I am sort of new to world of war craft and recently started collecting pets. I joined this site to hopefully get some tips or advice to pet collecting. I am currently working on collecting from the dragonkin category, but I see that some pets I can't obtain? For example an onyxia whelpling. How do I go about collecting these pets that show unobtainable? I would greatly appreciate any tips and advise relating to ccollecting pets and battling them.

Buruan
Pet Score:11735
Realm:Eitrigg-us

Re: Newish to WOW

Post by Buruan » April 15th, 2015, 11:47 am

Unfortunately the word unobtainable holds true in this case.
You cannot get the "Onyxia Whelpling" anymore, and it cannot be sold to you.
There is no way around this.

You can get "Spawn of Onyxia" who can be found around Qnyxias lair.

There are a few others that are unobtainable, mostly the ones from anniversaries.
Others are still obtainable but may cost you a pretty penny, i.e. the three pets from the original WOW Collectors edition, which last I checked sold for around 5kUSD.

Gnomechopski
Pet Score:932
BattleTag®:ComMerce#1221
Realm:Agamaggan-us

Post by Gnomechopski » April 15th, 2015, 12:54 pm

I greatly appreciate you taking your time to help me out with my questions and lastly I would like to ask what are the original 3 pets?

Dagris
Top Rater
Pet Score:9380
BattleTag®:Dugoth#1259
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Dagris » April 15th, 2015, 1:06 pm

Gnomechopski wrote:I greatly appreciate you taking your time to help me out with my questions and lastly I would like to ask what are the original 3 pets?
Panda Cub, Mini Diablo, and Zergling. All from having the original collector's edition on the account

Lixalee
Top Rater
Pet Score:13016
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Lixalee » April 15th, 2015, 1:24 pm

I have 25 on my list of excluded (not obtainable to me) pets. Old collector's editions I didn't get and am not about to pay hundreds of dollars for now, China or EU only pets, etc. It happens. :) Don't let it get you down. When you come across a pet you simply can't get Manage your collection and Exclude it so you don't keep looking it up and over and over again (with so many pets, that happens too :oops: ). Then, just work on your Wanted list. There are more than enough obtainable pets that you shouldn't worry too much about the ones that are unobtainable. Happy hunting!

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » April 16th, 2015, 2:22 am

Gnomechopski wrote:Hi I am sort of new to world of war craft and recently started collecting pets. I joined this site to hopefully get some tips or advice to pet collecting. I am currently working on collecting from the dragonkin category, but I see that some pets I can't obtain? For example an onyxia whelpling. How do I go about collecting these pets that show unobtainable? I would greatly appreciate any tips and advise relating to ccollecting pets and battling them.
There is some debate, wether some pets, that are otherwise unobtainable (e.g. Onyxian Whelpling) is available on BMAH..

You could try to camp the BMAH to see if any of them appears.. However there is no guaranty of it ever happening, and if it does, be prepared to pay a HUGE chunk of gold...

Ranok
MVP
Pet Score:13640
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Ranok » April 16th, 2015, 9:16 am

Onyxian Whelpling was mailed to any players who logged on during WoW's 5th anniversary celebration back in 2009. As it isn't cageable and wasn't acquired by redeeming a code, this is one that seems to be truly classified as "Unavailable" if you weren't playing 6 years ago. I've never heard of anyone getting it through the BMAH, but then with Blizz you never know.

Baby Blizzard Bear (2008 anniversary) and Molten Corgi (2014 anniversary) fall into same category.

Another unavailable Dragonkin is the Spirit of Competition. It was an occasional drop from winning a battleground during the 2008 Beijing Olympics, it's modeled after the classic Chinese dragon.

Any pets that you get by redeeming a code are still possible but as Buruan pointed out, can be expensive. Not entirely surprising as it means someone had the foresight to save a code and not use it in hopes of selling it years later. Murky (Blizzcon 2005 pet), for example, is on EBay today for "only" $3,950.00. Well you do get free shipping :)

There's some hope with the pets that were originally only available on overseas servers. Four of the China promotional pets have been resurrected through Recruit-A-Friend. If you can't sucker a friend into signing up, works out to only cost around $40 each to recruit yourself to get the pet.

Buruan
Pet Score:11735
Realm:Eitrigg-us

Post by Buruan » April 17th, 2015, 11:20 am

FuxieDK wrote:You could try to camp the BMAH to see if any of them appears.. However there is no guaranty of it ever happening, and if it does, be prepared to pay a HUGE chunk of gold...
I would be pretty disappointed if that were to happen, while it would give some a chance to complete / enhance their collection, I would completely negate the original purpose of the pet. And it would really only be available to real hardcore players with millions of gold.
Per my understanding the Guild Reward stuff may come up at the BMAH, but not the individual rewards like "Onyxia Whelpling" etc. But thats just a rumor I heard from a friend who knows a guy that knows a guy....

For example, one of my priced WOW possessions is Benedicition/Anathema from the original MC raid, i would be massively disappointed if that were to be changed to be available again.

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » April 17th, 2015, 6:32 pm

Ranok wrote:Baby Blizzard Bear (2008 anniversary) and Molten Corgi (2014 anniversary) fall into same category.
So angry about the Blizzard Bear. I was subbed at the time, but was on a break from WoW. I'll never have it. But I must get them all!
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » April 18th, 2015, 1:50 pm

Buruan wrote:
FuxieDK wrote:You could try to camp the BMAH to see if any of them appears.. However there is no guaranty of it ever happening, and if it does, be prepared to pay a HUGE chunk of gold...
I would be pretty disappointed if that were to happen, while it would give some a chance to complete / enhance their collection, I would completely negate the original purpose of the pet. And it would really only be available to real hardcore players with millions of gold.
Per my understanding the Guild Reward stuff may come up at the BMAH, but not the individual rewards like "Onyxia Whelpling" etc. But thats just a rumor I heard from a friend who knows a guy that knows a guy....

For example, one of my priced WOW possessions is Benedicition/Anathema from the original MC raid, i would be massively disappointed if that were to be changed to be available again.
The problemis, we don't know if they will be on BMAH or not.

Just because e.g. Onyxian Whelpling haven't been seen on BMAH yet, doesn't mean it never will.
We do, however, know that the dragons from Naxx80 achievements have appeared on BMAH, and they were not guild-rewards. Yes, it was group-work to obtain, but it could be done by a well coordinated pug.

Also, Spirit of Competition was entirely individual work to get; you needed to win 3 BGs during the olympics.. Had I not been so stubborn back then, I would have had it.. Now, I check BMAH, once in a while, but have no high hopes..

Sibi
Top Rater
Pet Score:10062
BattleTag®:sibylline#1481
Realm:Emerald Dream-us

Post by Sibi » April 18th, 2015, 2:11 pm

One of my friends camps the BMAH near religiously and an unobtainable pet has yet to appear. He usually asks about pets that pop up and the highest end pets that have shown up thus far have been TCG pets. I'm itching for the vampiric batling to appear since, like you, I was too stubborn to bother trying to get it when it was available. I'd rather pvp than raid :)

Avalee
Pet Score:6870
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Avalee » April 19th, 2015, 1:59 am

Buruan wrote:Others are still obtainable but may cost you a pretty penny, i.e. the three pets from the original WOW Collectors edition, which last I checked sold for around 5kUSD.
You can get them for $599,- at wowloot: http://www.wowtcgloot.com/wow_vanilla_collectors_edition.htm