what do you look for when catching insignificant pets?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Cheaptoad
Pet Score:4199
Realm:Madoran-us
what do you look for when catching insignificant pets?

Post by Cheaptoad » April 12th, 2015, 9:35 am

Do you just look for the one you're missing no matter the rarity or just hold out to find that pet as a rare?

Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318
Realm:Area 52-us

Re: what do you look for when catching insignificant pets?

Post by Abbotta » April 12th, 2015, 9:41 am

When I was looking for wild pets I tried my best to find rares for one reason. Looking for wild pets was a great opportunity to level other pets.

But if the pet was super rare like a Minfernal or Shadow Sporebat I took what I could find.

And if I spent more than an hour or so looking for a rare I'd take a green but try to get the best breed as researched here on WCP. Like the Harpy Youngling - I do not think a rare exists in the wild even though that is a pretty common pet to be found. I think in the end I grabbed an H/B and some other uncommon in hopes one would be a decent breed.

Anyone who says they found a rare Harpy Youngling I truly believe is passing off an Urban Legend - that's my story and I'm sticking with it! :lol:

Caylithe
Pet Score:10842
Realm:Winterhoof-us

Post by Caylithe » April 12th, 2015, 10:13 am

as far as the Harpy goes... I finally just took the best one i could find and used a stone to upgrade to rare...

I am working now to raise pets... I love the fact we can get stones to upgrade to rare..

I work at finding rares on anything I am hunting, but many times I will take a common or a green... and still fight on, to find those rares.. it just takes work and time...

hugs

Topaz
Pet Score:4045
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Topaz » April 12th, 2015, 10:54 am

Ever since WoD came out and made it easier to stone pets to rare Im just looking for a specific breed. Before WoD came out I captured the 1st rare I managed to find. (such as a rare harpy youngling :D )

Merana
Pet Score:10003
Realm:Aman'Thul-eu

Post by Merana » April 12th, 2015, 11:03 am

I usually trapped the first uncommon I came across, then looked for rares. Sometimes that took longer than others. I believe I caught every wild pre-WoD pet as rare, except the Wanderer's Festival Hatchling.
Keep in mind, getting upgrade stones is a lot easier nowadays, so if there's a particular breed you like you can just grab the first one you come across and upgrade it later. Pets don't even lose levels anymore when they get upgraded.

Trethsparr
Pet Score:5200
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Trethsparr » April 12th, 2015, 1:03 pm

First, I look for whether it's a pet I have or not and catch it. (I can always release it later if/when I find them with better breed/rarity.) Second, I look for best breed. Third, I look for rarity because I can get stones fairly regularly right now.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » April 12th, 2015, 1:52 pm

#1 - There are no insignificant pets. I love them all, even all 2 dozen cockroaches whose names I can't remember. :)

Ok, now that that's settled... at the start of WoD I just caught the first one of anything I saw that I didn't have, regardless of breed and rarity. As I went along, I continued to pet battle in between quests and would catch any "upgrades" - i.e. if I had a poor Royal Moth and saw a uncommon, I would catch it and dropped the poor. See a rare, catch it, drop the uncommon. See a rare with a "better" breed, catch it, drop the other rare. Pets that are that easy to find, I won't ever stone - I'll hold out for battling my way to the desired rarity and breed.

The harder to find pets, like the Mudback Calf and Shadow Sporebat, I will settle for picking a breed and stoning for rarity since it's often not worth that level of headache to luck into rarity and breed (though I did give it a good try, but 2 weeks of Mudback Calf farming wasn't fun).

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » April 13th, 2015, 3:19 am

Abbotta wrote:When I was looking for wild pets I tried my best to find rares for one reason. Looking for wild pets was a great opportunity to level other pets.

But if the pet was super rare like a Minfernal or Shadow Sporebat I took what I could find.

And if I spent more than an hour or so looking for a rare I'd take a green but try to get the best breed as researched here on WCP. Like the Harpy Youngling - I do not think a rare exists in the wild even though that is a pretty common pet to be found. I think in the end I grabbed an H/B and some other uncommon in hopes one would be a decent breed.

Anyone who says they found a rare Harpy Youngling I truly believe is passing off an Urban Legend - that's my story and I'm sticking with it! :lol:
Harpy Youngling DOES exist as rare.. I caught one in 3rd try..

Mac Frog on the other hand... I spent 8 full hours in Uldum, before I found a rare one... That pet is BY FAR the one I hunted the longest time (not counting the ultra rare, such as Minfernal, Giraffe Calf, Unborn Val'kyr, Cheetah Cub, Shadow Sporebat and a few more) before I found a blue one....