Are Women More Likely to Collect Pets?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Azillero
Pet Score:3211
Realm:Uldaman-us
Re: Are Women More Likely to Collect Pets?

Post by Azillero » December 22nd, 2014, 5:09 pm

In a game with millions of players and tens of thousands (?) of "serious" pet collectors, I think any answer to this question in this forum is just anecdotal. It would take a much larger survey along the lines of a election poll to get a real idea.

Also, I don't personally find it offensive, but I can see how some could take exception to stereotypical statements about men and women, whether it's about the cuteness factor or competiveness, or something else along those lines.

Sycophantic
Pet Score:4094
BattleTag®:sycophantic#1842
Realm:Emerald Dream-us

Post by Sycophantic » December 22nd, 2014, 5:53 pm

My girlfriend is a hardcore mount collector, I'm all about the battle pets though. Reminds me of my pokemon days of old.

#5 pet collection on arathor and making my way to # 1. :)

Nohero
Pet Score:3683
Realm:Skullcrusher-us

Post by Nohero » December 22nd, 2014, 5:55 pm

I think the percentage of female players that take pet collecting seriously is higher than the percentage of male players. Being as though there is probably 10 times the amount of male players, there are still more male pet collectors overall.

Seem maybe 10% of players I come across in raiding and pvp are female while almost half the players I trade pets with seem to be female. But that's just personal experience.

I think it's less about cuteness and more about friendliness of the community though. Most female gamers I play with tend not to enjoy the really vulgar and hateful attitudes that I often encounter in other aspects of the game but the pet battling community seems friendly and helpful.

I'm sure other people have had varying experiences but this is how it appears to me.

Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu

Post by Awq » December 22nd, 2014, 6:00 pm

Stella3 wrote:Not to turn this into a debate but I dont see why this is offensive? I am not stereotyping anybody just asking a question. I am also a female so its not like I am some dude-bro making a sarcastic jab and asking something with clear intent on harassing.
There is simply no way anyone can answer this question, except an Blizzard employee (after statistical analysis). Our guesses will be inaccurate, our answers are anecdotal at best.

I find the nature of this thread slightly offensive.
I do find your question interesting, and I would be interested when Blizzard released data to answer this question. However, asking this to people on a forum makes it a leaded question. We simply don't know. We can only guess. Our answers won't be objective, and some of us might have beliefs that upset others. I honestly see no point in discussing stereotypes.
I personally find questions like "How does your gender affect your pet collecting behavior?" or "How do you like to collect pets?" better questions.
I do like your intentions. I do like the subject. But I simply can't see anything good coming out of this thread ><

Roisen
Top Rater
Pet Score:8772
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Roisen » December 22nd, 2014, 8:24 pm

I'm quite surprised to see this type of thread. I also agree it should be deleted, if only for the reason that the responses are likely to be (and within the first three are) peppered with misogynistic misinformation.

This question and debate might be better served on Reddit's warcraft section than here.

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » December 22nd, 2014, 9:56 pm

While I am female myself, and the most serious pet collector in my main's guild, I know several male players who are also into pet collecting.

I don't think pet collecting is a gender thing... but I do think it is something that appeals to a certain mind set more than others. I also believe that this mind set can be present in both males and females. Whether that mind set is more prevalent in one gender than the other, however, I could not say.

I am willing to bet that Nohero is right in that it is more about the friendliness of the community that attracts certain people to pet collecting rather than any other factor... though those other factors do matter as well.

Doobjanka
MVP
Pet Score:9260
BattleTag®:Doobjank#1625
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Doobjanka » December 22nd, 2014, 10:40 pm

We have the family of pet collecting guilds on Madoran full of all types and I wouldn't be able to answer the question because we all play for our own reasons and what we find fun.

Sadly this thread can and has veered off into uncomfortable territory. Locking it.
Proudly volunteering to this website since 11/09!

Breanni
Site Admin
Pet Score:1499
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by Breanni » December 23rd, 2014, 6:16 pm

A final note on this topic and why it was locked...

While I honestly think the vast majority of posts in this thread have been sincere, well thought-out, civil, and not in the least bit inflammatory, the topic itself can be viewed as offensive -- and it does lend itself to volatility. A few people have already chimed in to let us know that they find the debate upsetting. And I'm certain there are others with similar feelings who are too shy to post.

That's why Doobjanka chose to lock it, and I agree with his call.

You guys are an awesome community. The fact that you can have such a friendly and open debate on gender is proof of that. It's times like this when it's tough to be a mod. But locking this thread was the right thing to do.