How much will Murky, Tyrael, CE's be worth...

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Leathercream
Top Rater
Pet Score:4119
Realm:Lightning's Blade-us
How much will Murky, Tyrael, CE's be worth...

Post by Leathercream » August 28th, 2014, 2:16 am

In 10 years? 20 years?

Casca
Top Rater
Pet Score:5184
BattleTag®:Chiba#2767
Realm:Outland-eu

Re: How much will Murky, Tyrael, CE's be worth...

Post by Casca » August 28th, 2014, 6:24 am

Nothing because the WoW servers will be offline.

Leathercream
Top Rater
Pet Score:4119
Realm:Lightning's Blade-us

Post by Leathercream » August 28th, 2014, 6:54 am

What makes you think that?

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » August 28th, 2014, 8:32 am

Leathercream wrote:What makes you think that?

I highly doubt wow will be around 10 years from now and deffinately not 20 years from now.
Times change, technology changes, what people like changes this will lead to the end of wow and with no wow they have no value.
If wow makes it another 5 years that would be some accomplishment.
Name any other game that last 15 years.
Right now the gaming industry is in flux as tablets and smart phones have taken the place of laptops and desktop computers and 10 or 20 more years and who knows what it will look like and what platform we will be playing on.

Dryfter7
Top Rater
Pet Score:3315
Realm:Azgalor-us

Post by Dryfter7 » August 28th, 2014, 9:22 am

In my opinion, some form of WoW will be around in 10 years. Games like Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot are still online and they're much older than WoW and people still pay a monthly fee to EA (EA sucks...) to play them. Sure the population will be very very reduced but if you REALLY wanted to play, I'm guessing you'll be able to. 20 years? Don't know about that one though :)

As far as the worth of the CEs... Video Game collecting is actually pretty strong. I think the games might be collected from a purely nostalgic point of view. Even now, you see games for console systems going for A LOT of money on eBay. I'm not talking modern systems. Look at a game like Magical Chase for the Turbo Grafx. It can go for thousands of dollars right now.

As is the case with any collecting...only time will tell.

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » August 28th, 2014, 10:05 am

Petemax7 wrote:In my opinion, some form of WoW will be around in 10 years. Games like Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot are still online and they're much older than WoW and people still pay a monthly fee to EA (EA sucks...) to play them. Sure the population will be very very reduced but if you REALLY wanted to play, I'm guessing you'll be able to. 20 years? Don't know about that one though :)

As far as the worth of the CEs... Video Game collecting is actually pretty strong. I think the games might be collected from a purely nostalgic point of view. Even now, you see games for console systems going for A LOT of money on eBay. I'm not talking modern systems. Look at a game like Magical Chase for the Turbo Grafx. It can go for thousands of dollars right now.

As is the case with any collecting...only time will tell.

Yes but the collectable is the game itself and to get the most money for it one usually needs it in the box factory sealed or at least with the box with directions and everything near as mint as possible.
The digit CE pet means nothing unless the game is still going on.
What someone would want is the collectors edition factory sealed with the box and all the goodies that come with a CE like mouse pads, art cd, mini figurine etc...
That is what will be worth money down the road not the CE digital pet.

Alien
MVP
Pet Score:5498
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Alien » August 28th, 2014, 1:43 pm

Digem wrote:Name any other game that last 15 years.
Everquest came out in early 1999 and will be releasing its 21st expansion later this year.

It not only survived WoW coming out, it survived its own sequel coming out. I haven't played it regularly since 2000, but people still do.

I have no special insight, but I imagine Blizzard will keep WoW alive as a point of pride even if they shift their focus to another MMO...and WoW could go down in profits for quite a while and still be generating more than its competition.

Mind, I am not saying that WoW will last forever, but I would expect it to last another 5 years easily and probably longer.

As to the value of some of those pets...no idea. Probably continue to go up, slowly, unless something changes about pets again.

Rioriel
Top Rater
Pet Score:10504
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu

Post by Rioriel » August 28th, 2014, 2:01 pm

Whatever someone is willing to pay for them.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » August 28th, 2014, 4:19 pm

I wouldn't be too surprised if WoW is still going in 10 years but as to what the value of those things would be I don't know. My gut says that it would probably be pretty low because the user base will probably have gone down and you'd have a smaller pool of people who would be interested in them and even fewer would be able to pay large amounts for them. Since the pet is most of the value of the ce's it seems and they are basically can be sold ones they will get really rare but that doesn't matter if you don't have any buyers.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » August 28th, 2014, 4:54 pm

Kpb321 wrote:I wouldn't be too surprised if WoW is still going in 10 years but as to what the value of those things would be I don't know. My gut says that it would probably be pretty low because the user base will probably have gone down and you'd have a smaller pool of people who would be interested in them and even fewer would be able to pay large amounts for them. Since the pet is most of the value of the ce's it seems and they are basically can be sold ones they will get really rare but that doesn't matter if you don't have any buyers.
Pretty much this, IMO. I believe the game will keep going as long as there's still some profit in it (enough to keep servers going), but the number of player accounts has been declining since WOTLK. So yes these items will become rarer over time, but with a smaller market it's unlikely they'll increase in value.

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13557
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » August 29th, 2014, 8:20 am

I think WoW still has a good few years left in it still. I'd like to hope so, anyway. :D
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420