When will the prices stop dropping?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Corah
Pet Score:13318
Realm:Llane-us
Re: When will the prices stop dropping?

Post by Corah » August 13th, 2014, 12:52 am

Azaelia wrote: I just know I wouldn't intentionally pay for a duped pet, no matter the cost
Nor would many of us. I'm not going to go out of my way to buy a cheap pet from a shady character in a dark alley. By the same token, I can now get many of the pets I want (which I never thought I would because I refuse to pay real money) on the AH. Not everyone is made of gold and time.

Corah

Post by Corah » August 13th, 2014, 12:55 am

Triara wrote:
Well, what if you buy the pets that you are after for, I don't know, 300k gold, and then the dupers bring the prices down to 50k?
Already had it happen, it is what it is... I took my chances and made an educated guess on the low prices of certain pets. Some I bought for more because they were on my home server rather than on Illidan (where my gold is more limited). I can be happy in knowing that I did my due diligence.

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13557
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » August 13th, 2014, 3:15 am

Triara wrote:
Mehetabel wrote:Since I still need a handful of super rare pets, I'm quite happy for the prices to stay low for a bit! :lol:
Well, what if you buy the pets that you are after for, I don't know, 300k gold, and then the dupers bring the prices down to 50k?
I'm not spending that sort of money. I'm talking about 10-11k per pet at the most, that's the sort of figure they're down to on the high/full populated realms. I also only buy on the AH (no shady back alley deals). My attitude is that I'm buying on Blizzard's own AH, if I can't trust that and do happen to buy a duped pet then I'm not at fault personally.
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Triara
Pet Score:2965
Realm:Hellscream-eu

Post by Triara » August 13th, 2014, 3:29 am

Mehetabel wrote:I also only buy on the AH (no shady back alley deals). My attitude is that I'm buying on Blizzard's own AH, if I can't trust that and do happen to buy a duped pet then I'm not at fault personally.
This I agree with.

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » August 13th, 2014, 11:21 am

Mehetabel wrote:I'm not spending that sort of money. I'm talking about 10-11k per pet at the most, that's the sort of figure they're down to on the high/full populated realms. I also only buy on the AH (no shady back alley deals). My attitude is that I'm buying on Blizzard's own AH, if I can't trust that and do happen to buy a duped pet then I'm not at fault personally.
This is my stance also.

Whiplash
Pet Score:4909
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Whiplash » August 13th, 2014, 12:56 pm

Interesting topic.
I have heard rumors of duping for some time now, but it's Blizzard's sandbox, and I have no control over the content.

I can see four possible explanations:
1) These pets are legitimate
2) These pets are legitimate, but stolen from accounts
3) These pets are "duped" - meaning they are created in the game through a hack
4) These pets are stolen via creation of codes from loot cards not yet redeemed

Given the evidence - big increase in number of pets, great reduction of in-game price - I think we can safely rule out that all of the influx of ultra-rare pets are legit. Given the sheer numbers now showing up across multiple servers, "duped" rises to the top as the most likely explanation - and I have no doubt that hackers can generate content.

I bought my EST a few weeks ago off the AH on a server I play on for 28k gold. I was ecstatic to see one that cheap, and at the time I didn't think about the possibility of a dupe. But I've noticed that there are multiple EST for sale now on that server AH, going even lower. But in retrospect, it should have been obvious that a pet from a card worth $100 in real money is not going to be sold for 28k on the AH.

On that same server last week, someone in trade was selling a Dragon Kite. I asked, "How much?" "60k" was the reply. Their follow-up was that the loot card was worth $99. The unspoken elephant-in-the-room: Who in their right mind buys a $99 card to sell for 60k in WoW gold?

On another server I play on, there are several ultra-rare pets now - kites, EST, Viscous Horror, Spectral Kitten - for 40k - 50k gold.

On the subject of duping mounts - well, yes, there IS evidence of that IMO. I see the engineering rockets advertised in trade chat for 40k or less, when the Orbs to craft one are 54k.

The final open question is, will hackers be able to generate anything they want in the game?
Can they already?
If yes, then the game is hopelessly compromised...

Simmias
Pet Score:4458
Realm:Frostmourne-us

Post by Simmias » August 13th, 2014, 11:47 pm

from a collectors viewpoint, it's a great thing. People can finally get that rare pet. But from a sellers viewpoint it sucks.

Corah

Post by Corah » August 15th, 2014, 7:31 pm

Rivana wrote:
On the subject of duping mounts - well, yes, there IS evidence of that IMO. I see the engineering rockets advertised in trade chat for 40k or less, when the Orbs to craft one are 54k.
I got an engineering mount out of a blingtron present, I wasn't worried about crafting cost when I sold it, I just got what I could for it.

Siegurd333
Top Rater
Pet Score:4485
Realm:Korialstrasz-us

Post by Siegurd333 » August 15th, 2014, 8:57 pm

I just got offered as many viscous horrors I want at 25k a pop on my server. It's clearly duping.

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » August 15th, 2014, 10:40 pm

Corah wrote:
Rivana wrote:
I got an engineering mount out of a blingtron present, I wasn't worried about crafting cost when I sold it, I just got what I could for it.
And that attitude ruins the market on stuff.
Their is no need to undercut by half or more if one wants to undercut take off a few good.
But, no everyone looking for a quick sale and ruin the market.

Triara

Post by Triara » August 16th, 2014, 10:57 pm

It looks like the prices stopped dropping and even gained some ground back (in some cases - gained all of it back). Perhaps there was a ban wave recently. That's from several servers on EU.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206

Post by Poofah » August 17th, 2014, 9:01 am

Sadly this is the type of situation where UJ was so valuable. When I see prices change on a handful of servers, it's tough to know if that's just random or if something more global happened.
Triara wrote:(in some cases - gained all of it back)
I'm curious what you mean by this. 'Gained all of it back' would mean: EST/cub back to 300k, RC/Dragon/Tuskarr back to 100k, VH back to 150k.

I used to look on the ban waves as a good thing. But now, honestly, I think they're bad. They're too infrequent to do anything about the actual problem. But because the prices do occasionally rebound due to bans, therefore it actually creates an incentive to buy when the price gets reasonably low, just in case they spike back up again. The ship has sailed and these pets are essentially limitless now. At this point Bliz is just helping keep the price high, which only helps the dupers.

Triara

Post by Triara » August 17th, 2014, 9:39 am

According to your definition it wouldn't be "all the way back", but I never saw EST at 300k, to be honest. Maybe I don't know what is the real "back". Right now, I saw RC cost 100k and even 150k on some servers, but less on others. Others were less than you indicate.

Corah

Post by Corah » August 19th, 2014, 3:25 pm

Digem wrote: And that attitude ruins the market on stuff.
Their is no need to undercut by half or more if one wants to undercut take off a few good.
But, no everyone looking for a quick sale and ruin the market.

I think I got 65k for it. You've got to remember that things are worth what someone will pay for it. Also, there is going to be less of a demand for mounts and pets as people acquire them. The ones who pay the super high prices are few and far between, the rest of us are either hunting for a bargain or don't care enough about the item to spend tons of gold on it.