Coins of Ancestry

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us
Coins of Ancestry

Post by Quintessence » January 15th, 2012, 11:25 pm

Does anyone remember from last year's Lunar Festival if there were any dailies that awarded the Coin of Ancestry?

I ask this because I'm only counting 84 total Elders who award one coin each. The new Lunar Festival pet costs 50 coins each, and if the only way to get this currency is from talking to the Elders, a single character won't be able to earn enough coins to buy two of the same pet (one to learn and one to trade for an opposing faction's version of the new pets).

People with alts that are at least level 60-70ish probably won't have any problem since it's easy enough to go around on a second toon and then buy another pet. Those that saved up coins from last year's holiday probably won't have any issue either XD
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Re: Coins of Ancestry

Post by Lysi » January 16th, 2012, 12:16 am

I only remember the elders, and nothing else mentioned in this guide from last year -
http://wow.joystiq.com/2011/01/20/the-o ... ival-2011/

But since they're adding the 2 pets, I wouldn't be surprised if they're adding a little more to the event..? I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

Moritach
MVP
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Moritach » January 16th, 2012, 1:53 am

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the lunar festival would be updated with new quests and dailies, but now I can't seem to find any post on that topic and I'm starting to fear I only dreamt it. D: I'm not sure if not being able to get enough coins is better or worse than the RNG of the bags from other events... at least with this you'd know what you can and can't get on your main instead of getting your hopes up only to have them crushed. :(

GormanGhaste
MVP
Pet Score:10398
Realm:Uldaman-us

Post by GormanGhaste » January 16th, 2012, 9:00 am

I wouldn't be surprised if they made Omen a daily.
Mingyao on Madoran

Lightwonder
Top Rater
Pet Score:5434
BattleTag®:Lightwonder#1969
Realm:Kirin Tor-us

Post by Lightwonder » January 16th, 2012, 3:11 pm

Sorry to piggy-back a different question on this thread. But are we sure that the pets are faction specific? I have not seen it written anywhere (sorry if it has been and I missed it). They come from the same vendor and don't have any faction marks other then the color. Again I have not seen it written from blizz that they are, just fan say so.

Twilight
Top Rater
Pet Score:1404
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Twilight » January 16th, 2012, 7:08 pm

I'm just hoping that they don't make the coins I saved from previous years unusable, like the old DMF tickets. Ugh.

GormanGhaste
MVP

Post by GormanGhaste » January 16th, 2012, 8:58 pm

According to the datamined info, the Festival Lantern is horde, and the Lunar Lantern is alliance.

If the only thing they are adding is a 50-coin pet that any high level character can earn in one day, then there shouldn't be a need for a currency reset.
Mingyao on Madoran

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » January 16th, 2012, 10:07 pm

Lightwonder wrote:Sorry to piggy-back a different question on this thread. But are we sure that the pets are faction specific? I have not seen it written anywhere (sorry if it has been and I missed it). They come from the same vendor and don't have any faction marks other then the color. Again I have not seen it written from blizz that they are, just fan say so.
When the Lunar Festival companions were first datamined, each one was found to have a preferred faction. One for horde and one for alliance. Things could have changed since they popped up in 4.3, but we'll just have to wait and see. Either way, though, they are Bind on Use so a single character should be able to learn both (thank goodness!). Whether or not a single character will be able to gather enough currency for both... that's still unknown. >_<
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Harval
MVP
Pet Score:4699
Realm:Aggramar-us

Post by Harval » January 17th, 2012, 6:20 am

I actually have a stack of 75 of these still. I realized it was an event that had no pets, so I decided to save the tokens for a rainy day. I wonder if they will count though, or if the currency is changing to something with a new id.

Mezcaal
Top Rater
Pet Score:6205
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Mezcaal » January 17th, 2012, 1:34 pm

I rolled a DK on the other faction to try and get my main both pets if one is on each side. Crossing fingers that preparation enough.
>> Pet Interaction Guide https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16249 <<

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » January 17th, 2012, 3:01 pm

Mezcaal wrote:I rolled a DK on the other faction to try and get my main both pets if one is on each side. Crossing fingers that preparation enough.
That's a really good idea! If only I had thought of that before filling up my last slot with a freshly made warrior. Going from level 55 to about 70 is probably less of a grind than from 1 to 70. x_x

Moritach
MVP
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Moritach » January 18th, 2012, 5:27 pm

Quintessence wrote:
Lightwonder wrote:Sorry to piggy-back a different question on this thread. But are we sure that the pets are faction specific? I have not seen it written anywhere (sorry if it has been and I missed it). They come from the same vendor and don't have any faction marks other then the color. Again I have not seen it written from blizz that they are, just fan say so.
When the Lunar Festival companions were first datamined, each one was found to have a preferred faction. One for horde and one for alliance. Things could have changed since they popped up in 4.3, but we'll just have to wait and see. Either way, though, they are Bind on Use so a single character should be able to learn both (thank goodness!). Whether or not a single character will be able to gather enough currency for both... that's still unknown. >_<
If you need a horde toon to get it I'm so royally screwed it's not even funny... There's something like 3% horde on my server(I think they peaked at 5% when cata launched). I'm so sick of this crap that's designed to make people want to play on faction balanced realms. It's just really annoying stuff which has no real impact on the game and certainly does not outweigh the pros of being on a single faction server. -.-

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » January 21st, 2012, 7:52 am

I'm not sure if this was apart of last year's Lunar Festival event (I didn't participate since there was nothing really interesting I wanted and bank space was tight), but according to Wowhead's guide, if you're able to locate ALL Elders, you will receive a bonus of 75 coins of ancestry. So total of 84 Elders who award 1 coin each plus a lump sum of 75... comes out to be 159 coins of ancestry. Definitely enough to buy two pets on a single toon and then an extra! :D

Can anyone confirm this? *anxious and eager to find out*

GormanGhaste
MVP

Post by GormanGhaste » January 21st, 2012, 8:31 am

After reading through the Wowhead guide, I think the 75 coins they are referring to are the total amount received from all 75 elders, which is how many we had last year (they are adding 9 Cataclysm elders this year).
Mingyao on Madoran

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » January 21st, 2012, 5:29 pm

GormanGhaste wrote:After reading through the Wowhead guide, I think the 75 coins they are referring to are the total amount received from all 75 elders, which is how many we had last year (they are adding 9 Cataclysm elders this year).
I'm inquiring about it right now, and I'm holding out on hope that maybe someone discovered a little secret last year that few others found out about. But I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up too high. :(

Twilight
Top Rater

Post by Twilight » January 22nd, 2012, 5:36 pm

Twilight wrote:I'm just hoping that they don't make the coins I saved from previous years unusable, like the old DMF tickets. Ugh.
Update: my coins from previous years still work! Hello new pet (and celestial dragon)! :D

Harval
MVP

Post by Harval » January 24th, 2012, 6:55 am

Old coins do work, yes. I already have my pet and a spare one to trade. I just need to find someone to trade with... check your e-mails or the forum, Aggramar Horde people >_>

That said, I saw the Festival Lantern up on Alliance AH. Only 44000g, is that all?!

Emberdione
MVP
Pet Score:11399
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Emberdione » January 24th, 2012, 2:50 pm

Due to having old coins in the bank, I now have around 6 extra alliance lanterns. I couldn't find anyone willing to trade but managed to luck out with someone listing the horde on for 30k. (All the other horde ones on my server have been over 60k+.)

Good luck. And remember to stockpile any extra coins for next year!

Twilight
Top Rater

Post by Twilight » January 24th, 2012, 6:30 pm

Holy geez, that's expensive!

I'm up for trading if there are Horde on Hellscream who are amiable.

Harval
MVP

Post by Harval » January 25th, 2012, 3:45 am

Those with no luck on getting trades worked out, check the neutral AH too. I saw one there for 10000g on my server earlier, much less than what was being asked by the main AH. Still very expensive for a pet though, but just a thought.