Share pet collecting news and advice.
Yazhi
MVP
Pet Score:4810
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu
Help with Farming Rare pets

Post by Yazhi » April 18th, 2014, 2:35 pm

Hi guys,

I have been finding WoW increasingly boring lately with less and less things that interests me. This has made me want to give another go at catching rare pets and trying to make them all blue.

To those of you that have done this/working on this, how do you guys keep it interesting? I've been farming the same bear for over an hour with no luck on a rare spawn, so I can't imagine what it will be like with higher level pets and three of them!

If anyone has any little things they do to keep focused on it please feel free to share :D

Kel
Pet Score:4788
BattleTag®:TerribleTim#1747
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Re: Help with Farming Rare pets

Post by Kel » April 18th, 2014, 2:56 pm

You just gotta really like doing it.

And if it gets too crazy, take a break for a while.
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington
http://www.haywire-racing.com

Tonid
Pet Score:5172
Realm:Darkmoon Faire-eu

Post by Tonid » April 18th, 2014, 3:04 pm

Hm, it took me about a week to update my entire collection to all-rare. It also helped getting the achievement related to number of pet battles won. I have been doing various stuff on the second monitor like reading feeds and stuff, but most of all, I tried not to overdo it -- if I was out of luck for some time, I just started doing something completely different (not related to WoW).

There will be cases when you will be cursing, not being able to find the right pet. What also helps is having some alts placed in strategic positions and switching between them to get certain hard-to-get pets. Also, don't fuss about not being able to get one or the other, because if you battle a lot, you'll end up with loads of excessive stones. For example I still have about 10 beasts and 10 flying pets (non-wild) to upgrade to rare, and I have dozens of excess stones for other kinds (yes, I do exchange them for flawless, but if I didn't bother with some hard to get non-beast and non-flying pets, I could have simply stoned them instead of spending hours trying to catch one).

My worst experiences with getting rare wild pets:
- The oozes in Hinterlands in the cave. They have a slow respawn rate and there's a limited number of them. Good to place an alt there and check once a day or so. Since they're magic, you can also skip catching a rare, and wait for excess stones.
- The rabbit in Hillsbrad, which supposedly only appears in Alterac area, but I never saw one as primary. Hundreds of battles trying to get one as secondary and rare, and finally managed. Kun-lai runt helped (rampage ability) with downing teams quickly, if there was no rare rabbit in them.
- Undercity cockroach took me quite a while as well, the trick is to kill all the critters, so best do it with a class that can AoE critters, e.g. mage (arcane explosion) or monk (the whirly spell). I did it with a monk. Took me 3-4 hours of killing critters before a rare roach spawned.

Surprisingly, I had very little problems with rare-weather pets. I caught the Tanaris one on first try when sandstorm appeared (!), and the STV one also took me a very short time. In both cases I had alts placed there and just checked for weather.

So, in general, if you do have alt characters, make sure to use them, and swap around not to get too bored. Patience is key here, but it's not as difficult as I expected, it took me much less time than getting PvP 1000 wins for the title -- now this is quite a drag, even with good teams ^^.

Good luck!

Waynebrady
Top Rater
Pet Score:13920
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Waynebrady » April 21st, 2014, 12:11 am

Try picking a zone that you need multiple rare wild pets from. That way you have a chance to get another rare that you may need, while you're searching for the one you were after. I chose not to spend too much time going after a single pet. I search for about an hour, go somewhere else, return to try again, and if it still eludes me I use a stone. Obviously not everyone has stones to throw around, but in cases where I've done multiple trips I succumb to the ease of the stone. Also, I have to admit to paying 300-500g for people to hunt a rare for me.

Having a second monitor was amazing for me. I could watch YouTube, read about tricks to catching rare pets, etc. And most of the time I mindlessly battled, forfeit, battle, capture, etc.

Unless you're after a specific rare, try flying to different zones for other rares.

Park alts for those really rare battle Pets.

Don't forget about real ID, ask your friends to invite you to their server.

Yazhi
MVP
Pet Score:4810
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Yazhi » April 21st, 2014, 3:32 am

Thanks a lot for the advice so far guys, I've gotten another dozen or so rares in my spare time and determined not to give up on it now :P