Hey, new players ....Insist on rare !

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us
Re: Hey, new players ....Insist on rare !

Post by Azrile » April 6th, 2014, 12:21 am

If you want a list of hard to get pets, then it is just going to come down to opinion because there is a gradient involved and no clear cut-off points. Like I am very sure that nobody would suggest hunting for a rare Unborn Valkry. And I am sure nobody would suggest stoning one of those crawling bugs in Durator.... every other pet lies somewhere in the graph between those two.

My point is this. Anyone who ´wants´ all rare pets, is also going to want them to be at level 25 someday. In the course of getting your pets to 25 by the most efficient method ( pet battles), you are going to be swarming in stones so there is no reason to spend an hour searching for a rare of a hard-to-find pet. Instead do your pet battles with the rares you have, and use the stones you get to make other pets rare, and then level those to 25, and doing that you will get more stones etc. In essence, you are killing to birds with one stone.

I spent hardly any time looking for rare pets in the wild, and I still have a bunch of pets that aren´t 25. Yet I have about 150 stones and all my pets are rares. Over the course of the next months, I will get all my pets to 25, and probably have 200-300 stones left over for the next expansion.. where once again I am not going to search for rares, instead just use stones and spend my time leveling pets and getting even more stones-

Unless you think there are a lot of people out there who want ´rares´of every pet but have no interest in getting them to 25.

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » April 6th, 2014, 12:33 am

Azrile wrote:If you want a list of hard to get pets, then it is just going to come down to opinion because there is a gradient involved and no clear cut-off points. Like I am very sure that nobody would suggest hunting for a rare Unborn Valkry. And I am sure nobody would suggest stoning one of those crawling bugs in Durator.... every other pet lies somewhere in the graph between those two.

My point is this. Anyone who ´wants´ all rare pets, is also going to want them to be at level 25 someday. In the course of getting your pets to 25 by the most efficient method ( pet battles), you are going to be swarming in stones so there is no reason to spend an hour searching for a rare of a hard-to-find pet. Instead do your pet battles with the rares you have, and use the stones you get to make other pets rare, and then level those to 25, and doing that you will get more stones etc. In essence, you are killing to birds with one stone.

I spent hardly any time looking for rare pets in the wild, and I still have a bunch of pets that aren´t 25. Yet I have about 150 stones and all my pets are rares. Over the course of the next months, I will get all my pets to 25, and probably have 200-300 stones left over for the next expansion.. where once again I am not going to search for rares, instead just use stones and spend my time leveling pets and getting even more stones-

Unless you think there are a lot of people out there who want ´rares´of every pet but have no interest in getting them to 25.

this pretty much sums it up pretty well.
when I first collected the pets I would move on once I found an uncommon(green) or better.
by the time I leveled all my pets and had plenty of stones left over.
then I got into pet pvp and found out what really matters is breed.
so a lot of pets I had to recatch in the breed I wanted(and of course seems the breed one wants usually comes in a common or worse type) which led to more stones being needed again(but if you do the dailies should still have plenty).

so in conclusion, the fastest real way is know what breed one wants and get that one and if it isn't a rare stone it.
trust me will be quickest way, don't want to level a breed and then realize it kinda useless, unless pvp is not part of ones plan.

Gulnarr
Pet Score:2379
BattleTag®:Gulnarr#1172
Realm:Kirin Tor-us

Post by Gulnarr » April 6th, 2014, 4:21 pm

I don't think I have the patience to camp for rare pets that I'm planning on using anymore. It took me hours to find a rare P/P emperor crab, and he only comes in two different breeds! I can't imagine camping for something like a flayer youngling, with 10 different possible breeds.

Shikon01
MVP
Pet Score:2668
Realm:Silvermoon-us

Post by Shikon01 » April 7th, 2014, 7:06 am

As everyone has stated, it all depends on the goals of the player. Some folks just want to collect and not do battles, some want to collect and battle for all the achievements. I'm personally interested in collecting, battling and achievements, though lately I have been a bit occupied leveling toons and professions. It all comes down to what is FUN FOR YOU !!! I personally, don't like dragging around and hanging out for lengthy periods of time in old zones, been there done that and have too much to do and not enough time to do it all so walking down memory lane doesn't do it for me :) Since I'm in a crz realm now, its best to do a little planning. I always take a toon w/ the flying training, pick a zone and pets I need from that zone of wild pets. I do try to find blues for those pets, but I'm not going to spend all day at it either. I will add a green quality pet if I don't have that pet at all and need it for achievement, but keep in mind some pets you will be better off stoning if you get the pet such as unborn valkry, minfernal, giraffe calf, baby ape, tiny twister just to name a few. Eventually, I will get all pets blue or stoned and I do plan to level all pets I have, but that's just me....though I wish they didn't have so many damn roaches, rats and snakes...to me most are the same w/ a few exceptions w/ just a different name so I find that aggravating. A lot of times, I do go back to find that blue pet and dismiss my green one if I was in a hurry and its possible to find a blue. I am also focusing on breeding as well so sometimes that green pet will get a stone. I also recommend that you take your time in order to avoid burn out. Know you won't get it all accomplished in a matter of weeks..its an ongoing process. You may find one day all you are in the mood to do is level pets or just pet battle experimenting w/ different teams. Other days, you might find you are in the mood to hunt pets to add to your collection. For new players, I would recommend picking 3 pets to use for leveling and collecting as you get started ( we have a section already on what 3 pets to pick ). Achievements and goals are great, but what's the point if you aren't having fun ? After all this is a game 8-)

Mavix1988
Pet Score:1567
Realm:Agamaggan-eu

Post by Mavix1988 » April 9th, 2014, 4:57 pm

It also depends on the breeds you want, if you want a Flayer Youngling S/S and rare that would take ages to farm it. If you catch a S/S then I would juse stone it.
The breed makes me deciding if I stone it or not, also its lovely to hunt that 1 pet you need.