Family Familiar Helper

Discuss your favorite pet addons and macros.
Gello
Pet Score:9171
Realm:Hyjal-us
Family Familiar Helper

Post by Gello » July 6th, 2016, 7:32 pm

Flohsakk had a great idea to make an addon to track the Family Familiar achievement. Instead of posting about it in those other unrelated threads, this is a separate thread for any working on this achievement to try it out and kick the tires if you're inclined:

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/i ... elper.html
http://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/family-familiar-helper

When you target one of the 15 tamers involved in this achievement it should summon a window like this:

(And if curious, no I didn't get nearly all those lol. The screenshot looked pitiful with my two completed battles so I kinda fudged some data.)

It should work in any language client with tamer names translated and such, though the checkbutton tooltips will be in English.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Re: Family Familiar Helper

Post by Quintessence » July 6th, 2016, 8:11 pm

Love this! It will be very useful once I start tackling this achievement!

IIRC the achievement is account-wide - does this addon track character-only or account-wide progress?
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Gello

Post by Gello » July 7th, 2016, 1:28 am

Thanks! Yeah the addon will check account-wide so any character should see the same progress.

Aranesh
Pet Score:7380
Realm:Lothar-eu

Post by Aranesh » July 7th, 2016, 6:13 am

Will try this out once I'm home!

An idea upfront, would you consider "marking" especially hard combinations? For example Flummox is (I believe) impossible to beat with certain families only. But there are others as well where the pets are just natural counters to a certain family, e.g. beating Robert Craig with Elemental pets.

Of course it is a bit subjective, but it would prevent people going into the Flummox fight thinking "Oh cool, I'm missing Magic here let's try!" just to get their ass handed to them royally ;-)

Neuropathy
Top Rater
Pet Score:6696
Realm:Ursin-us

Post by Neuropathy » July 7th, 2016, 10:50 am

Thank you for the addon! :D Works great! Is there a way to pull up the window if you're not facing a pet tamer?
Last edited by Neuropathy on July 7th, 2016, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gello

Post by Gello » July 7th, 2016, 11:36 am

Aranesh wrote:An idea upfront, would you consider "marking" especially hard combinations?
I was thinking of putting the pets for each tamer beside their name, so you can see what you're up against. Maybe a light version of Rematch's pet card (or Rematch's pet card if that addon is enabled). But may hold off on that until I can fill in their stats so their tooltip information is accurate. That's a daunting task, though. It'd be for Rematch's target window specifically where there are over 370 tamer pets ouch.

Flohsakk
Pet Score:13312
Realm:Blackhand-eu

Post by Flohsakk » July 7th, 2016, 1:08 pm

So finally at home... started twitch broadcast so you can review if you want gello...

https://www.twitch.tv/pattiford/v/76758319

Works fine, only thing I would change is the opacity of achievement display thing when I mouseover the icons on the bottom right... maybe it will be harder to read the more colorful pet family icons we "collect".

Flohsakk

Post by Flohsakk » July 7th, 2016, 4:48 pm

fudge data again pls, I want to see what a 2 digit number looks like on the achievement icons, I think font size will be a bit large

Gello

Post by Gello » July 7th, 2016, 8:24 pm

The numbers fit with default fonts:

For custom fonts it will often be okay too since they tend to be the same size or smaller.

Flohsakk

Post by Flohsakk » July 7th, 2016, 11:33 pm

:!: :D

Aranesh

Post by Aranesh » July 8th, 2016, 2:33 am

Will completed achievements be displayed in the grid as well? Since you only need 12 / 15 for each, it would make sense to grey them out or somehow display that it's already done and no more of this family are required.

Flohsakk

Post by Flohsakk » July 8th, 2016, 2:35 am

Neuropathy wrote:Thank you for the addon! :D Works great! Is there a way to pull up the window if you're not facing a pet tamer?
/ffh is the standard and you can do a keybinding for window toggle

Flohsakk

Post by Flohsakk » July 8th, 2016, 2:43 am

Aranesh wrote:Will completed achievements be displayed in the grid as well? Since you only need 12 / 15 for each, it would make sense to grey them out or somehow display that it's already done and no more of this family are required.
By replacing the "Total" number with a tick symbol when you have >11 maybe.

Gello

Post by Gello » July 8th, 2016, 6:17 am

The tick works. I don't know if I'd like the whole column to be greyed out. Greyed out stuff implies disabled or unfinished.

A new version has been posted with the above change.

I experimented with clicking a tamer opening Rematch with that target if Rematch is enabled. But the target panel is never visible when Rematch is in single panel mode and that's a "form" of the addon the user has chosen and another addon shouldn't be overriding that choice. So that idea has been tossed.

Aranesh

Post by Aranesh » July 8th, 2016, 6:36 am

Tick marks look great! Greyed out is indeed not the right option for this.

Will the addon still be able to track each tamers status, even if the achievement for that family is already completed?

Gello

Post by Gello » July 8th, 2016, 7:17 am

Yep the tamers' status will be "tracked" even when they're finished.

I should mention that this addon does not actively watch achievements being earned. When you open the window it fetches the progress of the 10 sub-achievements at that moment. If you have the window up as you earn one it won't update the window. I think I'll keep it this way to minimize the stuff it has to do in the background. Chances are someone won't keep the window up more than it takes to defeat a tamer.

btw, do you use the German client, Aranesh? If so do the tamer names fit? I wondered about that since German names can sometimes be very long.

Aranesh

Post by Aranesh » July 8th, 2016, 9:43 am

That's offensive !! :D

I'm using English currently because Alpha / Beta with the localized client is sometimes really, really weird (parts of sentences translated, others not, placeholder texts, texts missing etc.). But I can test it when I'm home, no problem.

Flohsakk

Post by Flohsakk » July 8th, 2016, 9:46 am

I can check in ~15h after my nightshift... usually I play english Beta (b/c of green maps and unfinished localization with the german client and to know what all the NA people talk about ;))

okay localization download didn't take too long

Cymre
MVP
Pet Score:13607
Realm:Dath'Remar-us

Post by Cymre » July 10th, 2016, 9:01 am

Great stuff! This is exactly what I've needed the last few weeks. It certainly saves looking up each tamer in the achievement UI each night.
Blogger, YouTuber and Pet Tamer

Flohsakk

Post by Flohsakk » July 10th, 2016, 4:41 pm

Cymre wrote:saves looking up each tamer in the achievement UI each night.
I'm curious about the time it will take to complete this achievement (without alts).

Reaching level 110, reputation (I don't think I really noticed the change, maybe the Suramar City fights are still missing because of missing reputation) 120 wins, only 15 out of 37 possible pet battle world quests count for the sub achievements. Some days not a single one will be up and some tamers will be very hard or maybe impossible with a specific pet family. Sounds like 5+ months.