Rematch 4.0

Discuss your favorite pet addons and macros.
Gello
Pet Score:9171
Realm:Hyjal-us
Re: Rematch 4.0

Post by Gello » September 25th, 2020, 4:39 pm

If you see it happen again, pay attention to whether leveling pets are involved.

For the most part, that option only happens when a team is loaded, generally not after battle; though the queue can assert some activity when leveling pets are involved.

Gello

Post by Gello » October 1st, 2020, 9:05 pm

Throwing this out there for some feedback. As some on the beta may have noticed, there's a new collapsible/searchable target list that looks like this on the left:

I originally had the targets styled similarly to the teams list pictured on the right, taller pet icons with a bit more room--and the compact list mode targets would be the slim buttons as it is on the left--but felt it was taking up too much space considering there's over 300 targets to scroll through--and then header overhead too--and it felt a bit too cumbersome.

But now I want to add a quest subtext to these targets where they apply. So you know the target Zolla is for "Micro Defense Force", or Rascal is for "Ardenweald's Tricksters". So I'm on the fence to making these target list items as tall as team list items again. (Compact List Mode is a thing, so it would already be an option; but I'm hesitant to make an option to make another option only enabled for one list in the addon.)

Thoughts? Would having a world quest name sit under the targets be worth the loss of list density? The headers would all remain compact.

Rioriel
Top Rater
Pet Score:10504
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu

Post by Rioriel » October 2nd, 2020, 7:34 am

Not currently subbed, and not in the beta - just wanted to say thanks for this add-on over the years. Would be lost without it.

Got anyway I could chuck you the cost of a beer or two, as a /cheer? (Confess I haven't read the last 31 pages)

Gello

Post by Gello » October 3rd, 2020, 5:34 am

Thanks. :D And I appreciate the offer but I'm good here thanks!

Rioriel
Top Rater
Pet Score:10504
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu

Post by Rioriel » October 6th, 2020, 4:46 am

Gello wrote:
October 3rd, 2020, 5:34 am
Thanks. :D And I appreciate the offer but I'm good here thanks!
Pick a charity... ;)

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » October 13th, 2020, 1:17 pm

For today's prepatch, should we be using the beta version or the standard version? Getting my addons ready for today.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » October 13th, 2020, 1:19 pm

Gello wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 9:05 pm
Throwing this out there for some feedback. As some on the beta may have noticed, there's a new collapsible/searchable target list that looks like this on the left:

<image snipped out>

I originally had the targets styled similarly to the teams list pictured on the right, taller pet icons with a bit more room--and the compact list mode targets would be the slim buttons as it is on the left--but felt it was taking up too much space considering there's over 300 targets to scroll through--and then header overhead too--and it felt a bit too cumbersome.

But now I want to add a quest subtext to these targets where they apply. So you know the target Zolla is for "Micro Defense Force", or Rascal is for "Ardenweald's Tricksters". So I'm on the fence to making these target list items as tall as team list items again. (Compact List Mode is a thing, so it would already be an option; but I'm hesitant to make an option to make another option only enabled for one list in the addon.)

Thoughts? Would having a world quest name sit under the targets be worth the loss of list density? The headers would all remain compact.
I would keep the compressed view rather than making them larger. I like the idea of the itemized target list. I haven't been able to test it out on Beta due to account issues with my beta characters, but once those are resolved, I'll try.

Rather than trying fit the name under the targets, maybe either a tooltip or popout on click (like pet cards). If searchable, can you just have the search cross reference the target name to the world quest name while searching so someone can search for "Micro Defense Force" and Zolla's name pops up on the target list.

Or under the targets list have a collapsable for Legion WQ's, BFA WQ's, Shadowlands WQ's and have the world quest names there as 'pretend targets" that reference what Rematch normally considers targets under the hood (like Zolla for example).

Gello

Post by Gello » October 13th, 2020, 4:13 pm

Sorry I didn't have them up earlier (been an insane day at work) but I should have my dozen+ addons up on wowinterface within the hour. I'll see if I can get the bigger ones like Rematch up on curse too.

In the meantime the beta Rematch should be fine too.

The target list is the "taller" format. GIve it a try and let me know if you use the normal view but would still like a compact target list. (The lists backend is much more flexible now and I could make separate lists compact if needed.)

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » October 13th, 2020, 4:22 pm

Gello wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 4:13 pm
Sorry I didn't have them up earlier (been an insane day at work) but I should have my dozen+ addons up on wowinterface within the hour. I'll see if I can get the bigger ones like Rematch up on curse too.

In the meantime the beta Rematch should be fine too.

The target list is the "taller" format. GIve it a try and let me know if you use the normal view but would still like a compact target list. (The lists backend is much more flexible now and I could make separate lists compact if needed.)
Oh sorry, didn't mean to rush ya. I am happy pulling the beta versions, I just wanted to make sure to ask before doing so. You do tons of work and we really appreciate it. If wowinterface or curse don't get updated for a bit, that's totally fine! No need to apologize or worry. No expectations here. I know you love doing this stuff and will get to it when you can.

Gello

Post by Gello » October 13th, 2020, 4:56 pm

No worries. They're all posted now! :D On curse too. It took about an hour post my new addon this morning so I worried it'd take longer this afternoon.

I'd love feedback on how the target list works out. I'm interested in giving the same treatment to the teams panel.

I feel that the tab system only works when you have so many tabs, and scrolling through tabs is kinda weird. Also, this type of collapsible list would lend itself well to representing multiple teams for a target and multiple targets for a team.

So my thought is to have a collapsible list of team groups, and then teams with multiple target can be expanded to show targets beneath them; and the target list can be modified so that targets with multiple teams can be expanded to show teams beneath them. My thought was to remove tabs entirely; they would all convert to a team group in the order they're displayed. The team groups can be re-ordered and teams within a group can be re-ordered.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » October 13th, 2020, 7:17 pm

I know this is extra work, so consider this a thought for the future and not so much now, but have you considered a "Tag" system instead of tabs? If you allowed players to create "tags" instead of "tabs" then they could be added to the collapsible list. In fact, you could build your collapsible list off of a tag system and allow players to customize it by adding their own and hiding/showing the ones they want. You would want your built in "tags" to be reserved, but you can have your underlying implementation accept special characters that your LUA settings file reader and GUI input forms don't allow so that you could guarantee unique tag names for your built in ones.

That eliminates the "too many tabs" problem and if you still wanted tabs, you could allow certain tags to be pinned as tabs to jump to their position in the list.

Gello

Post by Gello » October 13th, 2020, 8:17 pm

It's an interesting idea. Maybe I'm misreading it, but if you consider tags to be user-defined groups, and this was an implementation:
  • Tabs would be converted to groups/tags, with the same icon and name to become "headers" in a collapsible list, in their existing order.
  • Controls on the headers would allow moving it around on the list (I may explore making these drag and droppable) so favorite/preferred groups/tags can be listed at the top.
  • When a player saves a team (or edits a team or moves it), the current dropdown for a tab would ask to choose a group/tag list of existing group/tags (like it is now for tabs).
  • This dropdown list of groups/tags would have a New Group/Tag option, that when clicked will offer a dialog to choose a name and icon. (Like the new tab dialog now.)
  • New groups/tags would get added to the end and become a choice for saving future teams.
Or were you thinking of something else?

Previously, I had given some thought to making the raid markers (skull, X, orange circle, etc) into a set of tags for pets. Now I'm intrigued by the thought of letting players set up custom tags for their pets and having one of the sort order being those tags. So you can tag pets by tiers or purpose or anything and using that to group pets in the same way you group teams. (So far I've been recommending using notes as a tagging system. #tier1, #need, #stone, etc. since notes are searchable.)

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » October 13th, 2020, 8:18 pm

Gello wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 4:56 pm
No worries. They're all posted now! :D On curse too. It took about an hour post my new addon this morning so I worried it'd take longer this afternoon.
And thank you for posting them up by the way. Sorry I meant to say that earlier, but I got distracted. We really appreciate it!

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » October 13th, 2020, 8:22 pm

Gello wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 8:17 pm
It's an interesting idea. Maybe I'm misreading it, but if you consider tags to be user-defined groups, and this was an implementation:
  • Tabs would be converted to groups/tags, with the same icon and name to become "headers" in a collapsible list, in their existing order.
  • Controls on the headers would allow moving it around on the list (I may explore making these drag and droppable) so favorite/preferred groups/tags can be listed at the top.
  • When a player saves a team (or edits a team or moves it), the current dropdown for a tab would ask to choose a group/tag list of existing group/tags (like it is now for tabs).
  • This dropdown list of groups/tags would have a New Group/Tag option, that when clicked will offer a dialog to choose a name and icon. (Like the new tab dialog now.)
  • New groups/tags would get added to the end and become a choice for saving future teams.
Or were you thinking of something else?

Previously, I had given some thought to making the raid markers (skull, X, orange circle, etc) into a set of tags for pets. Now I'm intrigued by the thought of letting players set up custom tags for their pets and having one of the sort order being those tags. So you can tag pets by tiers or purpose or anything and using that to group pets in the same way you group teams. (So far I've been recommending using notes as a tagging system. #tier1, #need, #stone, etc. since notes are searchable.)
Yeah, that sounds pretty close to what I was thinking. It turns two systems into one. Tabs would be like pinned tags chosen by the player (existing Tabs would just become tags in the list as well). The only tricky part is if you want to "reserve" tags. Different ways to approach that.

I won't say it is cleaner coding, but from a design perspective it merges two systems designed to do the same thing (organize teams).

Gello

Post by Gello » October 13th, 2020, 8:45 pm

I'll think on this more this is great thanks!

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » October 15th, 2020, 7:21 pm

Side question. I have some questions about features on the battle pet UI tweaks addon you make. Would you be ok with me starting a thread with that? If not, no biggie.

Gello

Post by Gello » October 15th, 2020, 7:34 pm

Absolutely go for it.

Gello

Post by Gello » November 18th, 2020, 6:58 pm

Seeking some feedback: How attached are people to the "level bubble" that sits in the corner of a pet icon in the journal (and throughout Rematch)

That's the circular background to the 25 here:

I ask because I'm trying to cut down on textures, and in addition to this one being an obvious candidate, it's always kinda in the way sitting out there. (But maybe that's its charm or good intent to make it easier to notice.) So I was experimenting and came up with these insets:

Old on the left, new on the right. Thoughts? Too hard to see/notice? Too weird? The level bubble is perhaps one of WoW's oldest visual cues so perhaps I should leave it alone. But I'm not sure.

Jpo
MVP
Pet Score:13432
Realm:Elune-us

Post by Jpo » November 19th, 2020, 10:02 am

New one looks fine to me. And thanks for the great addon.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » November 19th, 2020, 6:40 pm

I'm good either way. I don't mind trading the circles for the new shapes. All looks good to me