Rematch 4.0

Discuss your favorite pet addons and macros.
Rioriel
Top Rater
Pet Score:10504
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu
Re: Rematch 4.0

Post by Rioriel » November 21st, 2020, 8:36 am

Square version looks great!

Gello
Pet Score:9171
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Gello » November 22nd, 2020, 2:48 pm

Thanks all. I'll forge ahead with those little insets. And in the main loadout slots it will display the level to the side rather than the inset, and nudge the other "badges" like the favorite star off the icon. It's kind of interesting how different some icons look with noses and ears now instead of other icons sitting ontop of them.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » December 31st, 2020, 2:18 pm

A couple of bugs I found (running version 4.11.4 ... haven't checked anything more recent).

1. When I put the Eye of Corruption pet in a battle pet slot it puts a weird image overlay of the pet on the battle pet slot
rematch.jpg
rematch.jpg (174.09KiB)Viewed 41000 times

2. When I have the filter set to Other => Not Levelling and I right click on a pet to add it to the levelling queue, the filter results are not updated (I.E. the pet that is now in the queue still shows as a pet that I am not levelling). I can manually refresh the search filter though
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Gello

Post by Gello » December 31st, 2020, 6:31 pm

That eye of corruption blue/smokey background is a part of the pet model. You can see a similar effect with Hearthy and a few other pets, in the default journal too. It's super contrasting with the eye of corruption. Unfortunately there's nothing that can really be done about it aside from putting the pet model in a bounding rectangle.

But I can fix the pet list not updating when you add a pet to the queue so thanks for bringing that up.

Gello

Post by Gello » June 12th, 2021, 4:38 pm

Looking for more feedback:

1. Does anyone use the compact list mode? How upset would you be if it became styled more like the normal mode, but with the same density of pets in the list?

The following screenshot is the normal mode on the left, the current compact list mode in the middle, and the 5.0 compact list mode on the right. I remember in the update from 3.x to 4.0, there was considerable upset about the compact list mode going away, so it was brought back. It's still staying, but I'm wondering if the aesthetic still matters? I like the right-most one myself since it matches the normal look more and the middle one looks weird to me still.

2. Also, 5.0 will have Pet Markers that borrow the 8 symbols from World/Raid/Target Markers. I can't decide which style I prefer listed. Do you prefer the ones with a border on the left? (More consistent style with the other badges.) Or the ones without the border on the right? (Bigger and more noticable maybe)

3. And while I'm here, I spent over a month recreating the pet card and I'm really happy with how it turned out so giving a little preview.

A common concern about the pet card is that it's kinda big. But for me it was important that it feel/interact like a card, with lore on the back and all. But to compromise and make it more like a tooltip and less like a card, I've added a minimize button to toggle between a normal card and a minimized view:

Whether minimized or not, it will still behave like a tooltip (and retain its last-minimized state) until you click on a pet to lock it in place so you can mouseover abilities and stats.

While minimized, mouseover of the breed will list possible breeds (option to remove possible breeds on front and move to tooltip in unminimized also), the "Collected (1/3)" bit is now a "stat" (option for this always in unminized also). You can choose a background for the pet card (either no art, pet icon art like pictured above, pet type art, or expansion art like 4.x has now--the 4.x update adding the expansion art was a direct result of me experimenting with background art while recreating this pet card.) You can also choose new 'flip' modifier keys, also choose whether clicking an icon at the top would keep the card flipped over, and quite a few more options. I can't wait to get this update into you guys' hands, though it may be a few months still unfortunately. It's slow going but a lot of fun.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » June 12th, 2021, 6:38 pm

Gello, you continue to amaze me with your dedication to Rematch. Even if it's just aesthetics, I'm sure many in the Pet Battle community appreciate your attention to detail and consideration of community feedback.

As for my personal take:
1.) 5.x compact list mode looks best to me, but I could see why some might prefer 4.x compact list. The bars in 4.x stand out a bit more, separating and defining each pet line. However, I'm more used to the default bar style so 5.x would be my pick.

2.) No border around the World/Raid/Target Markers IMO. It helps those symbols stand out, making it more noticeable at first glance.

3.) No comment here other than thank you for putting in so much work into creating a customized experience for Rematch users!
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Dragonsafterdark
Pet Score:13744
BattleTag®:DragonsADark#1212
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Dragonsafterdark » June 12th, 2021, 9:18 pm

Thank you so much for your continued dedication to Rematch, and I'm glad to hear you're having fun with it! ^^

1. I've never used the compact mode, but 5.x would be my pick. If I was moving between the modes it would be less jarring. If having a clearer separation between the smaller boxes is the goal, perhaps you could make the borders a lighter color? I'm not sure if that would help, or look any better, just an observation. I think the way you have it now in 5.x looks great.

2. I have to agree with no border. Having the border makes it difficult to 'read'.

3. My only concern for the minimized version was for the possible breeds, but you already have that covered! Other than that, I think this is a nice option for people who prefer smaller pet cards.

Again, thank you!

Gello

Post by Gello » June 12th, 2021, 11:50 pm

Thanks guys. I think at least on the pet markers borderless it is. I sent a PM to a couple users on curse that posted screenshots of compact mode UIs, so I'll wait for them too but 5.0 compact is definitely leaning that way.

I made borderless version of the leveling, teams and notes badges too to experiment. Is this a cleaner look? Or go back to borders for those badges?

I kinda worry that it won't be as apparent you can mouseover/click notes, though each of these badges lights up when you mouseover them so the "discoverability" should be relatively high. I'm undecided if the pet markers will have a tooltip of the name the user gave them or if that'd be too much tooltip spam.

Schlumpf
Pet Score:11085
Realm:Antonidas-eu

Post by Schlumpf » June 13th, 2021, 5:56 am

• I am using the compact mode. The new style looks nice.
  • I‘m pro border but agree that the raid markers don’t work well with them. If those markers are it, no border. If you find markers with less transparency, i.e. full color, yes border. If they are all without border it looks nice as well (what about tdscript markers?), but I feel people will like to keep borders, so probably a toggle?
  • No strong opinion on the card. I rarely use it but if I do, I use it for the flavor text/source information. Does that still exist in the minimal view somehow?

Gello

Post by Gello » June 13th, 2021, 7:48 am

A toggle is possible, I'll think on it.

I don't know about tdscript. I don't remember what the icon was that it put on the lists, but 5.0 will be much easier for third party addons to add badges to pet lists, stats to pet cards, and even their own tabs. So whoever works on that shouldn't have any issues.

And yeah the back of minimized cards has the source and flavor text still. This is the back of the clockwork gnome pictured in a couple posts above:

Schlumpf
Pet Score:11085
Realm:Antonidas-eu

Post by Schlumpf » June 13th, 2021, 8:44 am

Gello wrote:
June 13th, 2021, 7:48 am
I don't know about tdscript. I don't remember what the icon was that it put on the lists, but 5.0 will be much easier for third party addons to add badges to pet lists, stats to pet cards, and even their own tabs. So whoever works on that shouldn't have any issues.
Bad news as the author might not have time to adapt, good news as this horrible mess might vanish then :D
If someone on the xufu discord nudges me once this is out I can adapt in case DengSir is still vanished by then.
Gello wrote:
June 13th, 2021, 7:48 am
And yeah the back of minimized cards has the source and flavor text still. This is the back of the clockwork gnome pictured in a couple posts above:
Beautiful.

I think in the minimized version I’d compact the dmg± into one row and enlarge the flavor part instead, especially since the mechanical icon is already in the header. Alternatively move the strong/weak to the header:

Code: Select all

icon
icon        Name 
icon
————————————————— —————————
Source line 1
Source line 2
Flavor
Flavor
Flavor
Flavor
Flavor
(I) type.       (S) (W)
Or

icon                   (S)
icon        Name      (T)  
icon                   (W)
Source line 1
Source line 2
Flavor
Flavor
Flavor
Flavor
Flavor
where (Type), (Strong) and (Weak) would be family icons with a subscript ^ and v for the latter two. Users choosing the minimal version probably already know weak/strong and don’t need that big of a reminder.

Gello

Post by Gello » June 13th, 2021, 7:39 pm

I cut off the Mechanical bit. So the lore text can be bigger:

To preserve the "illusion" that these are front and backs of the same card, both sides need to be the same size. They adjust their height based on the minimum height both sides need to display their content. In most cases it's the front of the card dictating the size, since the ability bit and stats take up a fair chunk of space. So I don't know if cutting the damage taken bit to one line (like it is in the abilities tooltip which has no such restriction) would help a tremendous amount. But I'll tinker with it more. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sservis
Pet Score:8712
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Sservis » July 8th, 2021, 4:27 pm

Chiming in a bit later, I use compact mode.

I much prefer the informational density to the normal mode and that is my motivational reason for using it. The new proposed layout for compact mode is fine. I do notice one thing I'd request as a change in the layout. The explicit family icons in the current mode are much better than trying to see an image under text for conveying information quickly and at a glance. Please leave the family icons in and don't put the breed text in front of an image, making both the breed and family harder to read.

Gello

Post by Gello » July 8th, 2021, 6:34 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Do you think the breed text should not be in front of the pet type icons in the normal mode too?

Gello

Post by Gello » July 15th, 2021, 4:58 am

I'm thinking the old compact-type icons make it harder to distinguish a pet type at a glance compared to the larger "decal" type textures. There is something to be said for moving the breed off the texture; but it severely cramps the space for the name of a pet. (Keep in mind these are with a lot more badges than a typical span of pets would have. It's intentionally busy for testing purposes.)

In normal mode, the badges/breeds starting nearly in the middle of the button looks very weird to me:

Thoughts? Ones on the left or middle? I'm not feeling the ones on the right at all. I'm open to other suggestions too.

Beyond a difference between compact vs normal, this is likely something that won't be an option, because each layout option beyond a simple hide/show doubles the complexity/code. The breed vs no breed, badges vs no badges, compact vs normal already require considerable shuffling of the right name anchor.

edit: Another option I've been considering is to put the breed inside a bubble. I worried that it would obscure more of the texture, but if breed is off the texture it's not a concern. It looks a little more polished and also has some symmetry with the team list which uses a bubble for win record:

Not pictured here, but if the breed bubble overlaps the texture, perhaps the bubble background color can be made the pet type color. It's too bad undead and critter colors are so similar.

Kyroskrane
Pet Score:12867
Realm:Dalaran-us

Post by Kyroskrane » December 27th, 2021, 8:05 pm

I wrote a small script to find my unique pets (the ones you can only ever own one of). I figured I'd throw it out there in case anyone finds it useful!

-- Returns unique pets (can own max 1)
-- Written by KyrosKrane Sylvanblade
-- Based on the default Pets Without Rares script

if not uniques then
    uniques = {}
    for speciesID in AllSpeciesIDs() do
        if select(10, C_PetJournal.GetPetInfoBySpeciesID(speciesID)) then
            uniques[speciesID] = true
        end
    end
end

if canBattle and uniques[speciesID] then
  return true
end

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » September 5th, 2022, 12:09 pm

out of curiosity, does anyone know if there is beta ready version of rematch for DF beta?

Gello

Post by Gello » September 5th, 2022, 3:58 pm

I'm not in beta so nothing has been done yet. Realistically nothing can be done until addons are enabled. Are addons enabled in the DF beta?

edit: Just checked and addons are enabled. I didn't get in the last round. :(

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » September 5th, 2022, 11:23 pm

That's stinky they didn't invite you in. Hopefully they get you in sometime soon so you can play around with stuff and maybe have some fun too.

Flohsakk
Pet Score:13312
Realm:Blackhand-eu

Post by Flohsakk » September 8th, 2022, 4:15 pm

Gello wrote:
September 5th, 2022, 3:58 pm
I didn't get in the last round. :(
10.0 Prepatch is up on PTR