Rematch 4.0

Discuss your favorite pet addons and macros.
Gello
Pet Score: 4238
Realm: Hyjal-US

Re: Rematch 4.0

Post by Gello » December 23rd, 2018, 8:41 pm

Does anyone use the "Combine Pets with Queue" option in Rematch and would be upset if the option went away?

I was planning out a really cool system where the standalone window could be resizable with a resize grip in the lower right corner, and it'd automatically adjust between one, two or three panels depending on the width of the window; but the need to sometimes include a queue with the pets panel kind of halts the whole effort.

The option was added as part of a placating measure after the 3.x to 4.x UI change which wasn't well received. I'd like to avoid that kind of upheaval that again.

Jerebear
Pet Score: 5602
Realm: Llane-US

Post by Jerebear » December 24th, 2018, 10:38 am

Gello wrote:Does anyone use the "Combine Pets with Queue" option in Rematch and would be upset if the option went away?

I was planning out a really cool system where the standalone window could be resizable with a resize grip in the lower right corner, and it'd automatically adjust between one, two or three panels depending on the width of the window; but the need to sometimes include a queue with the pets panel kind of halts the whole effort.

The option was added as part of a placating measure after the 3.x to 4.x UI change which wasn't well received. I'd like to avoid that kind of upheaval that again.
I'm drawing a blank on that option. What did it do exactly? I'm guessing I don't use it, but want to make sure. I don't have the game handy here to double check. I do use the standalone window, but don't recall any queue related things showing while it is minimized. I can kind of infer some of the functionality from your post, but wanted to be sure.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Gello

Post by Gello » December 24th, 2018, 12:07 pm

When the standalone window is in single-panel view, the option will squish the queue to the side of the pet window and remove the queue tab like this:

Left is without and right is with the "Compact List Format" option. It makes the UI look more like the old 3.x version.

You may recall one thing dropped from 3.x was the ability to resize the window by dragging a corner. It was a constant struggle with the Blizzard-provided scrollframes I used at the time. The ones Rematch uses now were built from scratch to address all of those issues and I'm toying with bringing the resizability back. Just as a web page built for adaptable/responsive layouts will adjust to the width of the page, so could Rematch adjust to the width of the window: past one threshold, it would split evenly into two panels; past a further threshold, it would split evenly into three panels. Aside from the resizing, it allows fun possibilities like a 3-panel standalone window or a 2-panel journal window.

The design I'd been working on depends on the premise that each panel is confined to its own and is equally wide as its sibling panels. Having panels be a variable width independent of the total width of the window--like with a move-able vertical separator bar to adjust the individual/relative width of panels--would add so much complexity to the code that I'd scrap the whole resizability entirely if it came to needing it.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » December 25th, 2018, 9:34 pm

I double checked (sorry for the lateness...christmas stuff). I don't use that option at all, so I'm good. Can't speak for anyone else.

FuxieDK
Pet Score: 6400
BattleTag®: FuxieDK#2678
Realm: Draenor-EU

Post by FuxieDK » January 7th, 2019, 9:50 am

Request:
Can you make so that when you use <Random Pet> in a slot, it chooses one, that isn't present in any teams?

First of all, it will make use of the neglected pets and second, sometimes (rather often, I might add) it choose a pet that I use in a another team shortly after, and then I need to heal an extra time.

Dalandius
Pet Score: 6316
Realm: Earthen Ring-US

Post by Dalandius » January 7th, 2019, 11:09 am

FuxieDK wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 9:50 am
Request:
Can you make so that when you use <Random Pet> in a slot, it chooses one, that isn't present in any teams?

First of all, it will make use of the neglected pets and second, sometimes (rather often, I might add) it choose a pet that I use in a another team shortly after, and then I need to heal an extra time.
I think it should do that already, under Team Options is a "Allow Random Pet From Teams" the default is no.

I do not use the Single Panel Mode (Combine Pets and Queue is an option of this)

Gello

Post by Gello » January 7th, 2019, 5:53 pm

Yeah unless all three pets are random, it should only choose pets that aren't in a team. There's even an option under Team Options called "Allow Random Pets From Teams" to stop this behavior.

That said, if all three pets are random, pets in teams are included in a pool. Presumably a fully random team is being used for duels or plowing through easy content.

FuxieDK

Post by FuxieDK » January 8th, 2019, 11:18 am

Dalandius wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 11:09 am
FuxieDK wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 9:50 am
Request:

I think it should do that already, under Team Options is a "Allow Random Pet From Teams" the default is no.
I didn't know that option existed until now... But it's disabled..

However, I think I found the real error, which is slightly different: It's the Levelling slot that cause this problem.

Scenario:
Team A: Crimson Lasher + Abyssal Eel + Graves
Team B: <Level Pet, with pref> + Egbert + Baby Crawg

First I fight using Team A.. Then I go to next NPC, which automatically swtch to Team B.
In this fight, one of three thing can happen:
1: One or more pets fullfill the levelling prefes and is chosen correctly for Slot 1.. Hurray!!
2: None of my levelling pets fulfil prefs (min level, min hp etc), so it choose the top pet in the queue, regardless of prefs.
3: If the queue is empty, Rematch choose the Crimson Lasher, which was in that very slot the previous fight...

Gello

Post by Gello » January 8th, 2019, 12:57 pm

That's the intended behavior, actually. Some people keep the queue empty and use a leveling slot as an "ignore" slot, and then slot pets they want to level in that slot. This behavior predates both random pets and the actual ignore slot. I'll think about making that pick a random pet but the behavior you describe is 100% how it's supposed to work.

FuxieDK

Post by FuxieDK » January 10th, 2019, 1:52 am

Gello wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 12:57 pm
That's the intended behavior, actually. Some people keep the queue empty and use a leveling slot as an "ignore" slot, and then slot pets they want to level in that slot. This behavior predates both random pets and the actual ignore slot. I'll think about making that pick a random pet but the behavior you describe is 100% how it's supposed to work.
Couldn't you make an ignore-slot for that purpose and then let levelling slot not choose teamed pets?

It might be someone want the feature, but it's not logical behavior, and some people (if no one else, ME) don't want the current behavior..

Gello

Post by Gello » January 10th, 2019, 5:54 am

There is an ignore slot and it was largely made for those people in mind (and they outnumber you, I assure you :D). They're using the leveling slot to level pets. The intent of the leveling slot is to level pets. I rather like the way it can be used in different ways to achieve the same goal. There is nothing wrong with that behavior. That said, I'm not opposed to adding an option to turn the leveling slot into a random slot when the queue is empty. It would change the purpose of the leveling slot, so your idea to me is the wrong intent of the leveling slot, but I agree it'd be a useful repurposing of the slot when the queue is empty.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » January 13th, 2019, 12:11 am

I definitely don't think it should be the default for an empty queue. That would mess with how people already use it. But adding it as an option in some way sounds good.