Player xp via pet battles feedback?

Discuss content found on WoW's testing realms.
Volante
Pet Score:11152
Realm:Blackwing Lair-us
Player xp via pet battles feedback?

Post by Volante » August 24th, 2020, 10:17 pm

I haven't found any news on this and wondering if anyone with Beta has tried it out.

My preferred alt leveling method is pet battles, where I get around 3.5% of a level out of a Draenor win (My team has been 21-24,25,25 of late and the wild pets are 22-25).

With Chromie Time, I realized I'll be able to go practically straight to Draenor, but I wonder how Chromie Time affects wild pet levels and player xp from pet battles and if it will remain a quiet, steady grind.

Thank you in advance if you can find out!

Dakender
MVP
Pet Score:9654
BattleTag®:Dakender#1566
Realm:Madoran-us

Re: Player xp via pet battles feedback?

Post by Dakender » August 25th, 2020, 4:05 pm

First question would be what lvl is your alt? And I guess it don't matter the team we use, as long as we get a win correct? Killing time here and thought I would give this a go :)

Volante

Post by Volante » August 25th, 2020, 7:40 pm

Dakender wrote:
August 25th, 2020, 4:05 pm
First question would be what lvl is your alt? And I guess it don't matter the team we use, as long as we get a win correct? Killing time here and thought I would give this a go :)
Right now the last two I have are 110+ (so, that'd be a Shadowlands 45?) but that 3.5% per victory was pretty consistent from 60 on. It always felt about 25-30 wins for a level.

But yeah, it's really just based on getting a win. It can't be a trivial fight, so wild pets in Chromie time have to be 22+. Looks like the continent map would answer this; they still include Pet Level alongside the suggested level range.

And after that it's how much player xp you get for a win. My plan would be to jump right into pet battles as soon as I enter Chromie Time (L10?)... or at least have that as an option to mix things up.

Thanks again!

Dakender
MVP

Post by Dakender » August 26th, 2020, 4:11 pm

Will see what I can do :) Have no toons in that rage on my main server, all either 120 or 20, nothing in between... I'll check the other servers for a 110 toon... And would be a pain on beta because you either start at lvl 1 or at lvl 50..

Dakender
MVP

Post by Dakender » August 26th, 2020, 4:16 pm

Something else to think about :)

Chromie Time has opened up entirely new avenues of leveling on the Shadowlands. A lot of folks are using it to level 10 to 50 in just a little under 4 hours through Warlords of Draenor.

Battling pets might just be a burdon and slower once it goes live.. who knows..

Volante

Post by Volante » August 26th, 2020, 10:14 pm

Dakender wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 4:16 pm
Something else to think about :)

Chromie Time has opened up entirely new avenues of leveling on the Shadowlands. A lot of folks are using it to level 10 to 50 in just a little under 4 hours through Warlords of Draenor.

Battling pets might just be a burdon and slower once it goes live.. who knows..
XP through pet battles is slow on live as it is (e.g., what you can quest in about 15 minutes can take upwards of an hour in pet battles), BUT it has the benefit of requiring practically zero attention so I can watch NetFlix or whatever (rather than it act as background noise)

A B4A 20 would be perfect, actually. By the time Shadowlands comes out, I'll likely have hit 120 on my last alts, so I'd be going into the new xpac with a fresh character.

Dakender
MVP

Post by Dakender » August 27th, 2020, 4:49 pm

OK, testing done, i think :)
To set it up.. found an old toon that was lvl 114(live), and copied her over.. she was 47 when I logged in. Used my Garrison Hearthstone to get to Draenor quickly. Made a dog mad, killed it and dinged 48 :)

Here are the results for the fights. 20 fights.
Level 23 enemy team: Every win was 4500xp.
Level 24 enemy team: Every win was 4750xp.
Level 25 enemy team: Every win was 5000xp.

Next I went back to Stormwind and talked to Chromie. Started the Chrmie Time thing.... followed all the prompts it gave me to get to Draenor. Found some pets to play with and the results were exactly the same.

Hope this helps

Volante

Post by Volante » August 27th, 2020, 8:57 pm

Nice! That works out to 3.4% of a level (going off wowhead saying L48 takes 139665 xp) which is on par with pet battle xp today.

Thanks!

Brogmage
Pet Score:5693
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Brogmage » October 9th, 2020, 12:05 pm

Hi there! Got Beta in the last invite-wave and had opportunity to test pet battles in the most recent Beta build. I was unable to interact with any of the tamers/legendary pets, but there was opportunity, especially in Maldraxxus, to pet battle in the wild.

TLDR: I completed 73 pet battles in Maldraxxus, for a total of 459,030 XP.

I do not believe the battle experiences are at all finished, because each pet battle only had a front-line pet, so the XP gains/minute are going to be off. I was level 53-56 during all of my pet battles, and the XP gained was close to the base quest XP available (pet battle xp ranged from 6160 to 6380, depending on my level) . Also, I had WM on while I was battling (can't recall if WM affects XP from pet battles or not). I am also assuming all the pets I battled were 24-25 (I did not have the presence of mind to notice!).

There were several areas in Maldraxxus near, or on the way to flight points/quest areas that had a lot of critter/magic mobs that a basic all-Zandalari or all-Nexus Whelpling team handled easily. I did not come across corresponding hot-spots for pet battles in Bastion, (I stuck to campaign and side-quest areas) and I have just set foot in Ardenweald, so no news on that front yet, nor on Revendreth.

I think if they keep the pet battle spawn locations and volume the same, at least in Maldraxxus, this can be a great alternative to scrambling for side-quests and having to dungeon grind, at least in the current beta iteration.