Carry Pet Experience Reference

Guides and information to collecting specific pets.
Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us
Re: Carry Pet Experience Reference

Post by Jerebear » September 24th, 2014, 5:42 pm

The pet experience aura is:
Apply Aura: ?? (Aura #420)

Currently, I have only found it on the top hat, safari hat, pet treat, and lesser pet treat.

It's easier to find them using google:
site:www.wowhead.com "Aura #420"

you have to allow the omitted results, but all four of those show up.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Iibis
Pet Score:4297
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Iibis » November 7th, 2014, 4:44 am

Skye wrote:I have no idea how to write addons, but it would be pretty insanely awesome if someone could incorporate this data into an addon somehow. Using the data for how much XP pets need per level to level up (50 to get from 1 to 2, 110 to get from 2 to 3, etc) it could say "Your pet needs ___ more experience to reach level 25." in your pet journal somewhere. Then in a tooltip whenever you hover over a trainer (possibly wild pet too, not sure if that would work or not) it would tell you how much experience you would earn with your current team, using Jerebear's calculations. It could probably even give you a warning to let you know that if you battle this trainer with your team of L25 / L25 / L24 that you will "waste" x number of XP since you only need 1980 (or less) to hit 25 and the trainer will give you 2723 when you win.

So many possibilities, if only I knew how to code haha!
I came here searching for this comment, as I was thinking this exact thing and was about to make an addon idea/request thread, but then I thought someone must have asked it already. :) I was thinking that even just a warning that the current leveling pet will be "xp capped" against a tamer would be a great start. But as an individual addon, all the other features sound great and would make a complete package :) I wish I knew how to create one.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » November 7th, 2014, 8:31 am

There are some interesting issues to work through if one wants to make an addon

1. Rounding errors: The game has rounding error on some of the battles. In some cases you get 1 less EXP than you really should ( vs level 25 tamer with Safari Hat and both buffs you get 8787 instead of 8788 for example). It would be preferential to use the actual equation for all targets and not have to keep a table of "exceptions" so that as the game changes (new tamers/buffs) it isn't a nightmare to manage. However, I'm not sure how the community would accept it being "1 off" on a few configurations of tamer and buffs.

2. While it is easy to keep a table of equation coefficients referenced off a tamer since they have a known NPCID and pet levels, for wild pets I don't know if there is a way to tell what the level is and there is no way to tell something is a "wild pet" vs some other non-tamer target (maybe there is, I'm not an addon writer, but what research I have done hasn't turned up anything).

3. API: Anyone writing this addon would need to consider "how" to get the information out and to what addons. It needs decent API hooks so other addons can use it (like battle pet BreedID does)

Do yall have any insight on those?

Iibis
Pet Score:4297
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Iibis » November 7th, 2014, 10:42 am

I personally would be perfectly happy with just seeing the tamer info - any leveling I do against wild pets anyways is to get my lvl 24 pets the last remaining xp they have left to get to 25. Especially since you can't see from wild pets what the team will be before engaging, so I don't think it would make sense to engage the team, check the amount of xp and then do leveling pet adjustments. The suggestion to having a tooltip saying how much xp a pet needs in total to reach lvl 25 might be sometimes nice to see (especially when the pet is in the higher levels), for people who just like that kind of information. Like me. 8)

I can't see being 1 xp off in some situations making any difference. If it's that close, then it's pretty damn optimal. Either always round it up or always round it down, it's easy to mention even just in the hypothetical addon description that due to nature of rounding, you can get 1 xp less/more in certain situations. For me as a user it wouldn't matter. It's actually the same as with reputation gains. Roughly half of kills grant you e.g. 13 rep per kill and half grant 14 rep/kill because with buffs you should be getting 13,5 rep/kill. I wouldn't blame some reputation addon if the number of kills it calculated to achieve exalted reputation would be one kill off.

API stuff I can't say anything about, as my experience with addon writing is purely based on troubleshooting and making small tweaks to something someone else has had the actual skill and knowledge to put together :)

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » December 12th, 2014, 5:58 pm

Just an update. I haven't forgotten about this guide. I'm just collecting data at the moment. Things I have verified so far:
1. Tarr the Terrible has a tamer multiplier of 3.0x, which puts him on par with Cata and Wrath Tamers
2. Ashlei has a tamer multiplier of 6.0x, which makes her the highest EXP tamer
3. The rest of the WoD tamers and Christoph have the 5.0x multiplier putting them on par with MoP tamers.

Menagerie:
I haven't verified every single fight yet, but I am close. Rules of thumb:
1. Battles where you click on the post are considered "Tamer" battles and give a tamer bonus of 3.0x. Remember that 1 and 2 pet teams have a smaller multipet bonus.
2. Battles where you click on the pet itself to start are similar to BoF fights and only generate EXP as if a single wild pet (no tamer bonus).
3. Squirt is considered a tamer with a tamer bonus of 3.0x

I'll be putting up some charts and formalized info once I have some more data. I won't be able to verify every levelling point for a long while and I am not sure it is needed. Being 1 point off may not be a huge deal.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » December 28th, 2014, 6:48 pm

Updated with WoD Tamer and Menagerie battles. The number of possible experience combinations is much larger this time and I have a limited pool of pets to test with (levelled all of my pre WoD pets to 25 already) so I did not verify every single point.

If you find a discrepancy, please let me know. I'll try to make updates as best as I can. Hopefully I didn't make any copy/paste errors in the spreadsheet.

Edit: Sorry that took so long. Even though I didn't verify every single data point this time, I spent a lot of time reverifying data because there were so many different combinations and I wanted to make sure I had my ducks in row.

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » December 30th, 2014, 8:06 pm

Your work and insight are always welcome, thanks for putting it all together (again) for the rest of us. :)

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » January 3rd, 2015, 3:53 pm

Thanks! Hopefully I didn't make any copy paste errors. Let me know if you run into any discrepancies.

Painbow
Pet Score:10044
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Painbow » February 16th, 2015, 2:57 am

Hello. Thanks for the information.

I'm trying to find out if either of these 3 items actually impact pet experience. I have not found a conclusive post and I don't trust my own findings as I'm very new to pet battling.

[item=]64402[/item]
[item=]64401[/item]
[item=]64400[/item]

Edit: Not sure why the above items aren't auto linking, but basically I'm asking about the 3 banners from your guild vendor.
Banner of Cooperation
Standard of Unity
Battle Standard of Coordination

The Battle Standard of Coordination in particular says increases experience, honor, and reputation gains by 15% but I'm not sure if it's just from killing monsters or if it works with pet battles.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » February 16th, 2015, 9:06 am

Pet Experience gains are defined by the following aura:
Apply Aura: ?? (Aura #420)
I've only found 4 items that have that aura (safari hat, pet treat, lesser pet treat, darkmoon top hat), but I wasn't able to locate the buffs associated with those items to verify. My gut tells me no, but it would certainly be easy to test.

Ril
Top Rater
Pet Score:10049
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Ril » February 19th, 2015, 6:09 am

Painbow wrote:Hello. Thanks for the information.

I'm trying to find out if either of these 3 items actually impact pet experience. I have not found a conclusive post and I don't trust my own findings as I'm very new to pet battling.

[item=]64402[/item]
[item=]64401[/item]
[item=]64400[/item]

Edit: Not sure why the above items aren't auto linking, but basically I'm asking about the 3 banners from your guild vendor.
Banner of Cooperation
Standard of Unity
Battle Standard of Coordination

The Battle Standard of Coordination in particular says increases experience, honor, and reputation gains by 15% but I'm not sure if it's just from killing monsters or if it works with pet battles.
you need to put the item number inside the brackets next to the "=" like so: [ item=64402]Name[ /item]
i tested it with my guild banner and it doesn't appear to work, unfortunately.

@OP, thanks a lot for this extremeley helpful chart. it's one of my book marks i find myself coming back to quite often. if you're interested in improvement feedback: what do you think about adding a 3rd column in the levelling reference table, displaying the amount of xp needed to max? because that's what i often want to know when planning my comps and deciding what the max level of a carry has to be so to not waste (too much) of XP.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » February 20th, 2015, 4:55 pm

Ril wrote: @OP, thanks a lot for this extremeley helpful chart. it's one of my book marks i find myself coming back to quite often. if you're interested in improvement feedback: what do you think about adding a 3rd column in the levelling reference table, displaying the amount of xp needed to max? because that's what i often want to know when planning my comps and deciding what the max level of a carry has to be so to not waste (too much) of XP.
I've thought about it, but haven't figured out a good medium for it. A third column on that chart would give the raw, but most people run with buffs, so I would probably need all 3 buff combinations at least. The tamer you face also affects the decision. The other issue is that it really only affects the higher levels so half of the chart would be wasted.

That doesn't mean I am against it...I just need to work out a way that makes sense and is useful.

Ril
Top Rater

Post by Ril » February 23rd, 2015, 11:17 am

i meant the amount of xp needeed to max plain and simple. this doesn't depend on buffs or the such. but since i needed some distraction, here's my finished chart with what I intended to do with those numbers. basically, I determined the level limit where xp would be wasted above, and not wasted below. you can enter those numbers in rematch and be sure that you won't ever waste xp again. consider entering a lower number, since it won't help you much to reach level 24.95 with a pet. you'll still waste most of it as soon as you finish off said pet in a wild battle or so.

Buff legend:
1.1: Hat
1.2: Hat + DMF
1.35: Hat + LPT
1.45: Hat + LPT + DMF
1.85: Hat + LPT + GPT
1.95: Hat + LPT + GPT + DMF

Jerebear, if you'd like to have it, i can share the google docs chart I made to recieve those numbers. There is stuff like the afromentioned xp needed for max level and a bunch of more stats and calculation. It is quite messy. :)

Edit: for some reason you can see only half the picture, try opening it in a new tab.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » February 23rd, 2015, 12:17 pm

Thanks! That looks great. I'll see if I can reformat that in some way to make it fit a forum page better.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » February 23rd, 2015, 4:43 pm

In order to Shrink it down, I needed to crop out some data, so I reformatted it. Due to the easy availability of both lesser pet treats and pet treats, I assumed you had both, so I drop to 3 different columns: Safari Hat, SH + both treats, and SH + DMF hat + both treats. I think those will be the most likely mass levelling scenarios in WoD.

I also made the following changes:
1. I also used the CEILING() method on the data rather than round and labelled it as level where wasted EXP starts.
2. Removed Blood Knight Antari. Generally, this guy should be so far down the list that he shouldn't be part of a mass levelling spree. There are tons of Tamers with better EXP modifiers to fill the buffs with. Additionally, why stop at him...why not do the other outland tamers? I felt the level 25 pet tamers were the better stopping point. The only reasons I am leaving in the CT Undercard are they are level 25 and repeatable.
3. Removed the Menagerie battles as those should be disappearing with the patch.
4. Changed up how the chart was colored. The only reason for this was because I changed the format of the chart and changing the color helped visually distinguish between the data.
5. I broke up some of the rows into multiple rows. This is because I have more vertical space than horizontal.

What do you think? If you are ok with the changes, I'll put it in the guide and give credit to you (and make note I modified it so if someone doesn't like it, they can blame me). If not, we can figure out some sort of compromise?

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » February 23rd, 2015, 6:32 pm

My only comment would be that the lesser vs pet treat vs both are still viable and meaningful - why waste a full pet treat if I can get the job done with just the hat and a lesser? Or why waste a lesser when a pet treat and the hat are enough? The DMF buff, only being available for 1 week out of 4, is less likely to be helpful most of the time than the other 2. And lets face it, your guide is awesomely equipped with way more information than most people will ever actually "need" to have. So why not keep it complete? There is nothing saying you cannot abbreviate the column headings and fit all the columns in, anyway.

Ril
Top Rater

Post by Ril » February 23rd, 2015, 6:37 pm

Feel free to do whatever you like with the data! i produced it for my own use but thought of sharing it since you did a lot of wonderful work I rely on and I asked for something similar here before. It looks good for me and fits your guide better. The coloring isn't exactly required, but I like to visualise things.

The only reason why I put Antari there was because I used to include him towards the end of my tamer tours (Medaillon of Karabor is a neat thing) due to the bag. I guess he's obsolete nowdays so most people won't miss him, I don't really know, haven't been farming tamers for a few months now. Good call on the menagerie XP, this change'll require some getting used to... :(

Regarding the extra buff like treats, I do use all combos listed in my charts. For instance, when I won't be battling for a full hour, it'll be hat only. For wild pet catching and levelling (usually to finish of 24's), it'll be LPT+hat. For a full blown levelling insanity JSA style (*sob*) or something like a pandaria tour, it'll be all. And of course, every possibility can come with or without a DMF or DMF-esque extra 10%. That's why I included all of it. No idea if it is practicable for everyone bot I do need all of that info... :)

Btw here's the xp needed to max chart I originally asked for, I should have included that in my earlier posts. Maybe this helps someone's future caltulations. It certainely did for me.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » February 23rd, 2015, 6:53 pm

Do you envision doing Safari Hat + DMF hat or Safari Hat + LPT + DMF Hat? It seems like such a waste to use a DMF hat if you don't have full buffs, given how expensive it is vs the Pet Treat and LPT which are remarkably inexpensive now.