Carry Pet Experience Reference

Guides and information to collecting specific pets.
Ril
Top Rater
Pet Score:10049
Realm:Silvermoon-eu
Re: Carry Pet Experience Reference

Post by Ril » February 23rd, 2015, 7:36 pm

well, "DMF hat" stands for any buff that applies +10% xp, and last I checked, e.g. the DMF carrousel buff works too (or most event buffs if available), so this is essentially free. The second easiest buff to get, if up, after the hat, for me. I didn't notice that the hat itself was so expensive, I'm sitting on lots of darkmoon currency so that's an oversight on my side. in any case there are alternatives for everyone, with or without darkmoon currency, to get those extra 10%. one is free and only takes a very small time commitment.

And since you mentioned the cost for treats, here's a unrelated, small hint that could interest everyone who completes the weekly celestial tournament as well as the pandaria tamers, and still has low level pets and low quality pets: Use your celestial coins for greater pet treats and your pet charms for flawless stones. The reasoning behind this is that the treats cost 10 charms, but only 1 coin, whereas the stones cost 15 charms or 3 coins. I guess the celestial tournament is still a pretty big time commitment relative to the wod tamers, especially when levelling carries (i don't do that), and since the menagerie alone awards qute a lot of charms. but why not optimise everything while you're at it?

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » February 23rd, 2015, 8:55 pm

Ril wrote:well, "DMF hat" stands for any buff that applies +10% xp, and last I checked, e.g. the DMF carrousel buff works too (or most event buffs if available), so this is essentially free. The second easiest buff to get, if up, after the hat, for me. I didn't notice that the hat itself was so expensive, I'm sitting on lots of darkmoon currency so that's an oversight on my side. in any case there are alternatives for everyone, with or without darkmoon currency, to get those extra 10%. one is free and only takes a very small time commitment.
When I last tested it, only the Darkmoon Top Hat gave the pet experience buff. Wowhead agrees with that. 10 tokens isn't too bad though.

Rendigar wrote:My only comment would be that the lesser vs pet treat vs both are still viable and meaningful - why waste a full pet treat if I can get the job done with just the hat and a lesser? Or why waste a lesser when a pet treat and the hat are enough? The DMF buff, only being available for 1 week out of 4, is less likely to be helpful most of the time than the other 2. And lets face it, your guide is awesomely equipped with way more information than most people will ever actually "need" to have. So why not keep it complete? There is nothing saying you cannot abbreviate the column headings and fit all the columns in, anyway.
I can see that. I'm still mulling over Ril's feedback, but I'll see if I can fit in just LPT+Safari Hat (and maybe the DMF Top Hat).
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Ril
Top Rater

Post by Ril » February 23rd, 2015, 9:18 pm

Jerebear wrote: When I last tested it, only the Darkmoon Top Hat gave the pet experience buff. Wowhead agrees with that. 10 tokens isn't too bad though.
That's weird, i reached the opposite conclusion! When doing JSA one day I payed attention to it, I picked it up while getting a few top hats, and I'm sure that the caroussel buff gave better pet xp. but of course it is logged nowhere so I can't be sure now. That comment on wowhead agrees with me. Now I'm uncertain tho, because I can't find the aura 420 which is supposed to be the pet xp bonus (it is included with the top hat buff).

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » February 24th, 2015, 12:01 am

On the bright side, we can always retest it soon to verify.

Ril
Top Rater

Post by Ril » February 25th, 2015, 8:22 pm

So it looks like the Tamer boni changed... I happened to be near Tarr so I quickly battled him, and my level 23 Son of Sethe recieved 2466 XP and reached 25 (so it's probably more, maybe way more). Instead of the 1848. Mayme he was brought in line with the other WoD tamers?

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » February 25th, 2015, 11:36 pm

Ril wrote:So it looks like the Tamer boni changed... I happened to be near Tarr so I quickly battled him, and my level 23 Son of Sethe recieved 2466 XP and reached 25 (so it's probably more, maybe way more). Instead of the 1848. Mayme he was brought in line with the other WoD tamers?
That's good. I'll have to play with that. I had tweeted the Crafticus about it a while back and he indicated they would look into it, so I am glad that they fixed it if so. Also keep on your radar: the new daily battle from the random visitor. I got a ton of EXP (more than I could actually count due to hitting level 25. I was level 23 fighting level 23 opponents and got over 2500. That's a higher tamer bonus than Ashlei unless I am running the calculation wrong.

Ril
Top Rater

Post by Ril » February 26th, 2015, 5:14 am

that new tamer is interesting. i suspected he's here to compensate a bit for the loss of the JSA grind, but I guess he works like every other tamer and can't be grinded either?

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » February 26th, 2015, 11:33 am

Ril wrote:that new tamer is interesting. i suspected he's here to compensate a bit for the loss of the JSA grind, but I guess he works like every other tamer and can't be grinded either?
So far the quest can only be turned in once per account per day. I didn't check to see if you could abandon the quest after winning, but usually they forbid that with pet battles.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » February 26th, 2015, 10:41 pm

I did a level 1 carry today (with only safari hat) and got 5198 vs the visiting tamer. Like an idiot, I forgot to look at the level, but so far it has been 23 on all the other attempts. If that is true, then the travelling tamer has a 7.0x tamer bonus. See if that matches up to your attempts.

EDIT: Tested it again this morning. It is a 7x multiplier tamer bonus for Erris/Tura. That makes her the best tamer to level against and she is pretty easy.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » March 2nd, 2015, 12:43 am

Ril wrote:
Jerebear wrote: When I last tested it, only the Darkmoon Top Hat gave the pet experience buff. Wowhead agrees with that. 10 tokens isn't too bad though.
That's weird, i reached the opposite conclusion! When doing JSA one day I payed attention to it, I picked it up while getting a few top hats, and I'm sure that the caroussel buff gave better pet xp. but of course it is logged nowhere so I can't be sure now. [url=http://www.wowhead.com/spell=46668/whee#comments:id=1794480]That comment[/url] on wowhead agrees with me. Now I'm uncertain tho, because I can't find the aura 420 which is supposed to be the pet xp bonus (it is included with the top hat buff).
Tested it tonight. Went to Cymre. Had the Safari Hat and the WHEE buff from the carousel. Level 1 carry pet got 3988 EXP, which is consistent with the WHEE buff not affecting pet EXP gains.

1.1*2.5*5*(1+9)*(30-9) = 3987.5

If the WHEE buff worked, it would be

1.2*2.5*5*(1+9)*(30-9) = 4350

but I got the 3988 with both buffs up.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » March 2nd, 2015, 10:40 am

Updates
1. Added the wasted EXP chart to the guide with credits to Ril
2. Added a link to Ril's modfied EXP chart (the last one you posted).

Ril,
Since the menagerie is no longer viable for EXP and the wandering tamer is, do you want to update your chart? While I don't think I want all the same columns as you, I can definitely put a link to your version in the guide as well so that it is easier to find for you later and will be available for others to find as well. Hopefully that can be an OK compromise?

EDIT: Added Erris/Kura data. Awesome EXP for little work.

Ril
Top Rater

Post by Ril » March 6th, 2015, 1:37 pm

I'll post it here if I get around to do it.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » March 7th, 2015, 10:31 am

Sounds good.

I added the following update:
:arrow: Requirements for Getting Pet Experience
Knowing how to obtain experience is essential to forming a good new carry pet strategy. There are certain conditions that must be met in order to get experience for your pet:
  • Must not be level 25
  • Must not be 5 or more levels higher than the enemy pets.
  • Must be alive at the end of battle
  • Must be active at the end of at least one turn
That last one is interesting. Notice that I didn't say "must have done something". It is very important to understand that all the pet has to do is be active at the end of a turn, as this opens doors to a lot of levelling strategies. What qualifies as being active at the end of a turn?
  • Performing an action or passing with the carry pet. This is a common one you'll see in pet levelling strats. Even to this day, there are still a lot of guide writers that think this is the only way to get experience for your pet. However, there are others.
  • Manually swap in the carry pet and then swap it out for another. Each swap counts as a full turn. This is probably one of the more common method you'll see in guides.
  • When a pet dies, select the carry pet, then immediately swap to another pet. This one is also pretty common in a lot of guides. The important thing to note is that when a pet dies, the round isn't over, so selecting the carry pet finishes the round and meets the criteria for the carry pet to be active at the end of a level.
  • Abilities like [ability]Feign Death[/ability] or [ability]Death Grip[/ability] that force your carry pet to the front line. This works similar to a manual swap, except it is done via ability (and sometimes by the enemy...see Nearly Headless Jacob or Little Tommy Newcomer)
  • Automatically having the carry pet selected when a pet dies. This is less commonly seen but still works very well. Here the game selects your carry pet for you. It occurs when two conditions are met:
    • The other two pets have died, leaving only the carry pet
    • The current pet died at the same time as the final enemy pet died. This method is most commonly seen in strategies that use [ability]Explode[/ability] (see common Mo'ruk or Thundering Pandaren Spirit strategies involving the [pet]Darkmoon Zeppelin[/pet]).
This is stuff that most people who frequent the site probably know, but figured I would toss it in for completeness.

Gothgoth
Pet Score:7036
Realm:Khaz Modan-us

Post by Gothgoth » April 27th, 2015, 9:30 am

I've been out sick for a while so I've probably missed the info. However, Kura seems to be giving me less xp than I'm used to. Maybe I'm remembering wrong or something (although i doubt it), but I tried to take a single carry pet from level 24 to 25 yesterday. I only needed about 10% of the level to get to 25. After the fight, I still needed something like 8% (sorry, I don't have the exact numbers with me). I used the safari hat and by my calculations I should have gotten something around 2,541 xp (give or take a couple xp).

I've come to rely on knowing which fight to take a particular pet into and with which tamer I'll be able to level a pet (and how many levels too :ugeek: ). If there's been a change that I've missed, could someone please point it out to me?

Thanks!!!

Goth

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » April 27th, 2015, 4:28 pm

Gothgoth wrote:I've been out sick for a while so I've probably missed the info. However, Kura seems to be giving me less xp than I'm used to. Maybe I'm remembering wrong or something (although i doubt it), but I tried to take a single carry pet from level 24 to 25 yesterday. I only needed about 10% of the level to get to 25. After the fight, I still needed something like 8% (sorry, I don't have the exact numbers with me). I used the safari hat and by my calculations I should have gotten something around 2,541 xp (give or take a couple xp).

I've come to rely on knowing which fight to take a particular pet into and with which tamer I'll be able to level a pet (and how many levels too :ugeek: ). If there's been a change that I've missed, could someone please point it out to me?

Thanks!!!

Goth
You've definitely missed something. Sometime in March or early April, they temporarily nerfed experience gains from Kura/Erris to combat an exploit where you could do them multiple times per day under certain conditions. They have indicated via blue forum post they plan on reinstating the gains once the exploit is fixed. How long that will be is currently unknown though.

I haven't removed the sections just yet cause I am hopeful it will be restored in the near future and it is a real pain to recreate the content later. I'll put in a note that there is a temporary nerf. The actual modifer for them is T=0.1 I believe, so with just the Safari hat that comes out to be:

2.5*1.1*0.1 = 0.275 total multiplier or 0.10x the experience of an equivalent wild pet battle.

Gothgoth
Pet Score:7036
Realm:Khaz Modan-us

Post by Gothgoth » May 1st, 2015, 9:29 am

Thank you very much for the reply. I appreciate it. :D

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » May 15th, 2015, 2:15 pm

The numbers look right assuming both treats and the hat. Bear in mind those are equivalency points, so they include the point that will take you exactly to 25. You may not care about that, but if you want to make sure you hit 24 only, you might want to drop that value by 0.01 just to be safe.

Also keep in mind the values are based off the equation. There is a rounding error on some combinations of + or - 1 exp that you might get. No way to really calculate it as it avoids normal rounding rules, but keep that in mind.

Ilostmahbucket
Pet Score:4118
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Ilostmahbucket » May 15th, 2015, 2:23 pm

Name changed so, lost posts.
Thanks Jerebear.

For my own or other's reference: leveling preferences for Addon rematch:
Maximum level setting: 23.41 Ashlei, 22.02 for all WOD/MOP trainers.

Cheaptoad
Pet Score:4199
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Cheaptoad » August 3rd, 2015, 7:11 pm

This is insane amount of research.

Can I assume all data is up to date?

BTW, this weekend is triple xp. Do you have any idea how this will be calculated?