5.4 Guide to Master Tamer (levelling) + Beasts of Fable

Guides and information to collecting specific pets.
Stencil
Pet Score:3290
Realm:Elune-us
Re: 5.4 Guide to Master Tamer (levelling) + Beasts of Fable

Post by Stencil » February 20th, 2014, 7:37 am

Jerebear wrote:I've been able to trim up Sludgy a bit in the Thundering Spirit fight. If you use the [pet]Sen'jin Fetish[/pet] with [ability]Flame Breath[/ability] and [ability]Rot[/ability], sludgy will always go down in 4 rounds of Flame Breath as it is a 100% hit chance and always has enough damage to kill Sludgy. Rot is for the unlikely scenario that your undead round extends into the first round of Darnak.
Very cool to see an RNG proof strat for this boss; nice work! Worth noting that Voodoo Figurine has the same ability set as the Sen'jin Fetish and should also always kill Sludgy with 4 Flame Breaths. Sen'jin Fetish is the better option (more power and health) but I think more people have the Voodoo Figurine.

That said, I've been pleasantly surprised at how reliable, and fast, the Snail/Zeppelin strategy has turned out to be. I don't know if it helps that I'm using an H/P Shimmershell Snail (1790/305/195), which is the best breed for the job, but I averaged just under 18 rounds per kill.
17 16 18 19 2+16 18 2+17 19 2+20 18 17 19 2+16 2+16 18 17 16 18 16 16 == 17.85

There was one time it failed that isn't represented in that data set but it was actually because I killed him with a missile and not Explode. I should have passed and let his Stone Rush self damage push him into Explode range, but instead I missiled (and it might have crit too) and so the carry pet didn't level.

The times I've tried the Fetish strat my kills were in the mid 20's (28 26 24) which is a pretty big jump. That said, its still a cool strat and should replace the cottontail/dragonling strat in compendium IMO.
Jerebear wrote:I use Chi-Chi (wild magic + feign), infected squirrel (creeping fungus + stampede), and blighted squirrel (wood chipper + stampede). Nitun goes down fast due to wild magic buffing both stampede and the dots. Feign gives an easy swap without getting the squirrel pounded.
Interesting combo; you're right about how hard things were ticking. That wild magic + feign trick with is pretty slick; I'm going to have to remember that one. For giggles I've killed Nitun a few times now with Chi-Chi and zandalari (black claw + hunting party); 700 point ticks against a legendary make me lol :D

Stencil
Pet Score:3290
Realm:Elune-us

Post by Stencil » February 20th, 2014, 8:25 am

Rendigar wrote:
Haevlyn wrote:This seems like a great guide, but why don't you include the two "Classic" tamers that also reward bags?
I would not list a strategy for them because any pair of 20-somethings can beat them - if you have gotten this far I know you can beat them with 2 pets if you want the XP from the fight and not just the bag.
Heh, a P/P Yellow-Bellied Bullfrog can actually solo Lydia Accoste. I've keep a couple of level 70ish alts I don't really care about parked at those two; they're gaining XP one daily at a time. If I had to travel to those tamers, I'd probably never bother with them either.

Haevlyn: I'll throw these out as "best possible" teams for those bosses if that's what you were looking for. They are level 1 carry pet friendly and fast.

Lydia Accoste - Location: Deadwind Pass (40,76)
~12 rounds
  • 1: [pet]Thundertail Flapper[/pet] [-] (112 [ability]Tail Slap[/ability], [ability]Buried Treasure[/ability], [ability]Beaver Dam[/ability])
    2: Carry pet
    3: [pet]Yellow-Bellied Bullfrog[/pet] [4-P/P] (212 [ability]Tongue Lash[/ability], [ability]Healing Wave[/ability], [ability]Swarm of Flies[/ability])
vs Jack
- Tail Slap until Jack dies (2 hits)
vs Bishibosh
- Beaver Dam > swap to Carry pet > swap to Bullfrog
- Tongue Lash until Bishibosh dies
- Heal or put up Swarm of Flies during Bishibosh's bonus round
vs Nightstalker
- Tongue Lash until dead

Stone Cold Trixxi - Location: Winterspring (65, 64)
~7 rounds
  • 1: [pet]Netherspace Abyssal[/pet] (12- [ability]Crush[/ability], [ability]Explode[/ability], unused)
    2: [pet]Pet Bombling[/pet] (112 [ability]Zap[/ability], [ability]Minefield[/ability], [ability]Explode[/ability])
    3: Carry pet
    Can substitute Minfernal for Abyssal and/or other Explode pets for Bombling
vs Tinygos
- Crush until dead
vs Frostmaw
- Explode
- Minefield
- Zap until dead[/list]
vs Blizzy
- Explode

EDIT - after playing with some different options I decided that a double explode team works very nicely for Trixxi.

Darkwarrior42
Pet Score:6906
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Darkwarrior42 » March 16th, 2014, 5:32 pm

Stencil wrote: Darkwarrior42 - I took a look at your pet collection and based off what you have leveled I'd say you should just use:
1 - Unborn Val'kyr (122 Shadow Slash, Doom, Unholy Ascension)
2 - Fossilized Hatchling (1-- Claw, doesn't matter)
3 - Sunreaver Micro-Sentry (122 Laser, Haywire, Supercharge)
Sorry about taking so very long to get back to this.... I'll give this a try tonight, though amusingly the team I posted last time has yet to lose; as far as I can tell it's RNG proof, but does require a bit more micro-managing than most strategies I see posted.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » March 24th, 2014, 4:48 pm

I highlight the cells I want to display, copy/paste into mspaint and host on an image site. Not the best, but no table formats available on this site yet.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Cat666
Pet Score:7533
Realm:Saurfang-eu

Post by Cat666 » May 6th, 2014, 4:30 am

I know it's not going to be 100% accurate but does anyone have a list of trainers and the best sort of carry pet to use?

For example Moruk you can use to get a level 1 pet to level 12, but you can't with all of them. Some trainers require a pet with 500+ HP but others need even less, dependant on type. Some fights with a lot of AOE require a higher carry pet etc.

Ta

Pendabear
Top Rater
Pet Score:5633
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Pendabear » May 22nd, 2014, 10:18 pm

This guide lists that right on it, when he says "Carry Pet" it's any pet, when it lists "Carry pet (500+ health)" or such you change for that one. Pretty detailed, just read through again :)

Mykro9
MVP
Pet Score:4355
BattleTag®:mykro9#1585
Realm:Darrowmere-us

Post by Mykro9 » May 26th, 2014, 3:22 am

This is a wonderful guide, and I have modified some of my teams to use your strats.
mykro9#1585

Jhane
Pet Score:5395
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Jhane » June 16th, 2014, 2:36 pm

Fantastic guide. I learned a lot of new tricks and improved the speed of almost all the tamer fights by following your advice and the advice of the other posters. Thanks!

I do have a few alternatives and/or improvements for some of the fights. I'll start with Hyuna of the Shrines - instead of Emerald Proto-Whelp, I suggest using a Nether Faerie Dragon. Shamelessly copy-pasting from your excellent overview:

Hyuna of the Shrines - Location: Jade Forest (48, 54)
Team 1: 14 rounds

1: Nether Faerie Dragon [P/P] (2,1,1)
2: Carry pet
3: Yellow Moth [P/P] (2,1,2)

vs Skyshaper

- Moonfire > Arcane Blast x2

vs Fangor

- Arcane Blast > Dodge > Arcane Blast x2

vs Dor the Wall

- Arcane Blast, Dragon usually dies due to Headbutt. If not, hard swap.
- Switch to carry pet > switch to Yellow Moth
- Cocoon Strike when Headbutt is up, Moth Dust when up, Alpha Strike otherwise

Pitfalls: Dragon may die too early if Skyshaper or Fangor crits. Will happen intermittenly. Missing on Moth Dust will sometimes extend the fight a few rounds, but no risk involved.

Jhane

Post by Jhane » June 18th, 2014, 10:20 am

Courageous Yon - Location: Kun-Lai Summit (35, 73)
Team 1: 13-14 rounds

1: Nether Faerie Dragon [P/P] (2,1,1)
2: Pet Bombling (1,2,2)
3: Carry pet (doesn't do anything, can be lvl 1)

vs Piqua

- Moonfire > Dodge > Arcane Blast x 3, Piqua dies

vs Lapin

- Arcane Blast > Dodge > Arcane Blast x 2, Lapin dies

vs Bleat

- Arcane Blast until dragon dies (1-2 turns)
- Swap in Pet Bombling.
- Zap or Toxic Smoke until you can safely do Explode for 650 dmg. (1-2 turns).

Pitfalls: Be aware of Bleats 248 heal, it will move first. If you crit against Piqua, Dodge won't be off CD before you need it again on Lapin, usually means a restart if that happens.

Treebot
Pet Score:2633
Realm:Hyjal-us

Re: (4) No-No - Lucky Yi

Post by Treebot » June 20th, 2014, 6:20 am

Rendigar wrote:Aki the Chosen - Location: Vale of Eternal Blossoms (31, 74)
Team 1: 10 rounds
  • 1: [pet]Zandalari Kneebiter[/pet] [4-P/P] (1,2,1 )
    2: :!: [pet]Clockwork Gnome[/pet] [-] (1,1,1)
    3: Carry pet (needs 500+ health)
    Alt1: Zandalari Anklerender [14-P/P] (1,1,2), Zandalari Toeknibbler [4-P/P] (1,1,2)
vs Chirrup
  • - Bite > chain cast Leap until Chirrup dies (Leap gives a speed buff needed for Stormlash)
vs Stormlash
  • - Black Claw > Zandalari raptor dies to Call Lightning
    - Switch to Clockwork Gnome > Build Turret > switch to carry pet > switch to Clockwork Gnome
vs Whiskers
  • - Metal Fist unless you can use Build Turret
Note: if Bite crits twice it kills Chirrup, so using more than one is a bad choice, you must have the Leap speed buff
  • Turret sometimes kills Stormlash in 1 volley but it is safest to expect carry pet to get hit once
On Aki here, you say to Build Turret, switch to carry, switch to Clockwork vs Stormlash. I feel like I'm either doing it wrong, or this isn't correct. The carry pet doesn't earn XP at the end of the fight because it doesn't attack... so what exactly is supposed to happen here?

There are a few other fights with an active switch like this as well, I believe Nishi is one of them but I'd have to go out and confirm.

Kring
Pet Score:6755
BattleTag®:scrufola#2941
Realm:Kargath-eu

Re: (4) No-No - Lucky Yi

Post by Kring » June 20th, 2014, 7:02 am

Treebot wrote: On Aki here, you say to Build Turret, switch to carry, switch to Clockwork vs Stormlash. I feel like I'm either doing it wrong, or this isn't correct. The carry pet doesn't earn XP at the end of the fight because it doesn't attack... so what exactly is supposed to happen here?
The carry pet does earn XP. But Aki is bugged and the XP and level gained are not written to the console. Don't worry, the XP is perfectly gained by your pet.
Treebot wrote: There are a few other fights with an active switch like this as well, I believe Nishi is one of them but I'd have to go out and confirm.
A carry pet doesn't have to attack to gain XP, it only has to be the active pet for one round. Back to back swapping is ok. (Don't swap the pet in the first round if your carry pet is in slot 1 because swapping in the first round means it wasn't the active pet in that round.)

Treebot
Pet Score:2633
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Treebot » June 20th, 2014, 7:34 am

Fantastic, thanks for the heads up!

I guess whenever I battled Aki, my carry pet wasn't within level range, so I never noticed the XP gain.

Felidori
Pet Score:608
Realm:Frostmourne-us

Post by Felidori » July 4th, 2014, 12:52 pm

Couple of pet links in the main post aren't working:

Zandalari Toenibbler: http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/beast/raptors/zandalari-toenibbler/
Nether Faerie Dragon: http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/dragonkin/dragon-whelps/nether-faerie-dragon/

Thanks for the amazing guide!

Jhane

Post by Jhane » July 22nd, 2014, 8:26 am

Alternative to:
Flowing Pandaren Spirit - Location: Dread Wastes (61, 87) 15 rounds

1: Wildhammer Gryphon Hatchling [4-P/P] (1,2,2)
2: Carry pet (needs 700+ health, non-elemental type)
3: Chrominius [-] (1,1,2)

vs Marley

- Peck x2 > Lift Off > Peck if Lift Off misses

vs Tiptoe

- Peck > Adrenaline Rush > Peck until Tiptoe dies

vs Pandaren Water Spirit

- Peck x 3 > Adrenaline Rush (Careful not to kill Spirit. Die of Geyser + Whirlpool)
- Switch to carry pet > switch to Chrominius
- Surge of Power

Wolfson
Pet Score:9340
Realm:Bleeding Hollow-us

Post by Wolfson » August 11th, 2014, 6:35 am

Pendabear wrote:This guide lists that right on it, when he says "Carry Pet" it's any pet, when it lists "Carry pet (500+ health)" or such you change for that one. Pretty detailed, just read through again :)
For most of them, it does. I would suggest adding a notation for Wastewalker Shu, however, since the carry pet will take some damage on the backline from Pounder's Quake. (the "will take no damage" notation is somewhat deceptive otherwise).

Also, when I tried the second recommended team for Major Payne, I discovered that his pets actually have a speed of 311, so you need a faster rabbit.

Mathalor
Pet Score:1657
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Mathalor » August 13th, 2014, 2:52 pm

There are a few of these tamers that I can fight with one pet. Sometimes RNG screws them up, but I have yet to lose the fight when my p/p emerald proto whelp takes on the whole whispering (that's the air one, right) pandaren spirit team. I keep presence up, heal when I get low while making sure presence won't drop while I do, and bite otherwise.

Is there an advantage to doing so? It would probably be faster to use two 25s and one carry rather than one 25 and two, so I'm wondering if I get more experience overall for splitting it that way, or if I should just get the fight over with faster.

Thank you for this guide. It has really helped me out both in preparing for these quests and in using them to level my pets. And thank neohellsing for his work on his guide, though mostly I'm looking at the alternative burning spirit team. I need to go get me a Bonkers.

Aeonesti
MVP
Pet Score:5120
BattleTag®:Ducky#1198
Realm:Icecrown-us

Post by Aeonesti » October 2nd, 2014, 10:27 am

Mathalor wrote:There are a few of these tamers that I can fight with one pet. Sometimes RNG screws them up, but I have yet to lose the fight when my p/p emerald proto whelp takes on the whole whispering (that's the air one, right) pandaren spirit team. I keep presence up, heal when I get low while making sure presence won't drop while I do, and bite otherwise.

Is there an advantage to doing so? It would probably be faster to use two 25s and one carry rather than one 25 and two, so I'm wondering if I get more experience overall for splitting it that way, or if I should just get the fight over with faster.

Thank you for this guide. It has really helped me out both in preparing for these quests and in using them to level my pets. And thank neohellsing for his work on his guide, though mostly I'm looking at the alternative burning spirit team. I need to go get me a Bonkers.
XP for pet battles is a set amount based on the team compositions. You can see all the awesome and complicated equations in [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829]Jerebear's Guide[/url]. But the gist of it is that the XP you gain is split down the middle for 2 pets of equal level, and split up with more going to the lower level pet if they are off different levels.

If you are going for speed - 1 carry pet is fastest, but that might waste XP (if it's a level 23 or 24 pet), but if it allows you to hit more tamers with the 50% pet xp buff, it might be worth it.
~Aeonesti - Goblin Priest - Peons No More - Icecrown/Malygos~

Calianiela
Pet Score:2750
Realm:Cenarion Circle-us

Post by Calianiela » October 3rd, 2014, 10:03 pm

just thought I would let you know that Nether Faerie Dragon is spelt wrongly in the list and so cant click the link to get any info on it.
Other than that this is a fantastic guide and I really do appreciate the fact that you were willing to share all this information, it certainly makes life so much easier :)

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » October 14th, 2014, 1:12 pm

Felidori wrote:Couple of pet links in the main post aren't working:
Zandalari Toenibbler: http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/beast/raptors/zandalari-toenibbler/
Nether Faerie Dragon: http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/dragonkin/dragon-whelps/nether-faerie-dragon/
Thanks for the amazing guide!
It's been an even longer hiatus (sorry all), but I've fixed the 2 bad links. I cannot say for certain that WoD will suck me back into WoW (and pet battles) as I was previously, so will have to wait and see. If I can get up the energy I will try and read thru the posts from the last 9+ months (just 1 page, really) and the previous posts I hadn't made changes in response to. I think that overall the guide still stands up pretty well - and hopefully it will get better with the changes that have been suggested. Who knows how things will change in WoD though, things could get interesting (or just be the same-old same-old with a couple new pet options to explore).