5.4 Guide to Master Tamer (levelling) + Beasts of Fable

Guides and information to collecting specific pets.
Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us
Re: 5.4 Guide to Master Tamer (levelling) + Beasts of Fable

Post by Kpb321 » November 4th, 2014, 11:56 am

Adal wrote:For Jeremy Feasel

vs Judgement

- Tail Sweep > Tail Sweep > (Tail sweep if missed once) > *Healing Flame > Tail Sweep til Judgement dies

become in 6.0:

- Tail Sweep > Tail Sweep > Tail sweep > *Healing Flame > Tail Sweep

Someone else pointed out that you can do Early Advantage > Tail Sweep > Healing Flame > Tail Sweep and still kill him in the same amount of turns. Early Advantage does just enough more damage to still finish him off in 3 hits at least on a P/P whelpling.

Seira_wcp_eu
Pet Score:5716
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Seira_wcp_eu » November 10th, 2014, 2:19 am

I hope this person will add/update for WoD.
After playing these teams hundreds of times over and over, changing and unchanging moves i saw fit, all i can say, i like this guide.
It has brain and synergy and perfection.

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » November 10th, 2014, 9:13 pm

Well you can thank the community here for that, Steve. I'm mostly just the collector of information. And I do plan on adding the WoD tamers into an expanded version of this guide. It will probably need to be a new thread in the guides section though, once it's complete, since the 7 pages of previous conversation will be less relevant (though there are some changes in them that need to get into the guide as well). It wont be an immediate thing, though, as getting to level 100 and all that jazz on my main so I can do all the things I want to do will be first.

It should be noted, also, that because of the new achievement with the Plushie that 2-pet strats are popping up all over the place for people to start out with as Beta-testers jumped on this pretty early. I expect a lot of their information will come in handy when it comes time for pet-leveling strats.

Something else to think about - because there will be no flying in WoD it may not be worth the time it takes to do them for XP. I haven't been in (was not in the Beta, actually hadn't been playing since February) so I don't know myself.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » November 10th, 2014, 10:29 pm

Rendigar wrote: Something else to think about - because there will be no flying in WoD it may not be worth the time it takes to do them for XP. I haven't been in (was not in the Beta, actually hadn't been playing since February) so I don't know myself.
Actually, this is something to look at. In Beta, all the tamers (save for Ashlei) had the same EXP multiplier as MoP tamers. This means it really isn't worth grinding experience against them unless you are just topping off some pets close to levelling. You are better off flying around doing MoP tamers.

Ashlei had a slightly higher EXP multiplier (MoP and most Draenor tamers have a 5x multiplier while Ashlei had a 6x multiplier) and is a pretty easy fight so it *might* be worth parking an alt just for her.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Rendigar
MVP

Post by Rendigar » November 11th, 2014, 10:35 am

Thanks Jere, that's good to know. It'll still be worth having the strats but maybe they should just go in a separate thread since the 5.4 guide really is aimed at the power levelling of pets via running the cycle every day. Even with a x6 multiplier for that one trainer the extra experience you get wont make that big of a difference for 1 fight a day - so unless you park an alt there, or happen to be in the neighborhood, I doubt many people will bother. The people who are desperate to just be done with levelling all pets to 25 might, though. :D I'm not in that much of a hurry, so maybe that's skewing my view (only have 337 unique pets at 25 (probably 375 with dupes).

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » November 11th, 2014, 3:26 pm

Perhaps a title change might help out. I wonder if the "5.4" is throwing people off as if it is a non updated thread. Something to consider. If it is truly meant to be a power levelling thread, a title change to better reflect that might be the right direction to go. You might also put in a section explaining why the WoD tamers are not considered power level type tamers.

On a side note, the BoF aren't really good for power levelling either but are in the guide. Just things to think about!

Rendigar
MVP

Post by Rendigar » November 11th, 2014, 5:23 pm

Jerebear wrote:Perhaps a title change might help out. I wonder if the "5.4" is throwing people off as if it is a non updated thread. Something to consider. If it is truly meant to be a power levelling thread, a title change to better reflect that might be the right direction to go. You might also put in a section explaining why the WoD tamers are not considered power level type tamers.

On a side note, the BoF aren't really good for power levelling either but are in the guide. Just things to think about!
Well if you read the title it does say it all "5.4 Guide to Master Tamer (levelling) + Beasts of Fable" :) The BoF are in here as much because they are on the way as to anything else. And the general information at the top does mention leaving them out if you want to maximize your XP treat (I can do all of the pandaria tamers & BoF in 1 hour, but I cannot get to all of the non-pandaria ones if I stop for the BoF, even with all the teleport items I have).

When I update it you're right I should either include them and let people decide on their own if it's worth it to do them, or explain why they are excluded. And while the BoF are definitely not good for levelling they are good to do for the goody bags (until you have all rares, anyway). Once I can get to all the tamers and work out the best route to get to them all it'll be food for more than thought, definitely.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » November 11th, 2014, 6:38 pm

It's an interesting dynamic to balance. The WoD tamers aren't convenient for power levelling but they do drop the new pet currency which allows you to buy:
25% buff food
50% buff food
marked flawless stones to rarify pets
+1 level stones

at least in Beta that was the case.

So while they aren't great for power levelling directly, they have some utility. I might even argue more utility than the BoF. However, as you mentioned, the BoF are on the way during the levelling path and the WoD tamers are not. This can make it a difficult choice.

Rendigar
MVP

Post by Rendigar » November 12th, 2014, 7:15 am

Hmmm, that DOES make them very tempting - even if it's only to do a few of them that are near where you happen to be at the time. I'm certainly going to want to smack them when I'm in their zone. I think you've sold it, though - the new currency is going to be super useful (unless it's like the CT where it takes 3 weeks to buy 1 rare stone). I can do the BoF and get 3 25% pet treats in about 30 minutes just flying to them all (or do all the tamers AND the BoF in about 75 minutes, I think) so that'll be a good thing to compare. And the guide title will have to change at that point for certain. More work for me - more fun for everyone else (and not like it's hard with all the people in the pet battling community pitching in strats - especially those of you who were in the beta who gave us all a leg up).

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » November 12th, 2014, 5:12 pm

These are Beta values, but should be pretty accurate:
Vendor:
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=85418#sells

*I think the Mystery bag is actually less than what it shows there since it rewards +1 level for a specific family randomly*

Currency sources (each are daily):
http://www.wowhead.com/item=116415#reward-from-q

EDIT: I thought you could buy the rarifying stones too, but that might have been a beta only thing as wowhead doesn't list that.

Katherinne
Pet Score:3451
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Katherinne » November 28th, 2014, 7:23 am

My teams got wiped in my addon so need to rebuild, is this still a pretty accurate guide?
Great job putting it together, loved it during MoP!

Rendigar
MVP

Post by Rendigar » November 28th, 2014, 9:03 am

Katherinne wrote:My teams got wiped in my addon so need to rebuild, is this still a pretty accurate guide?
Great job putting it together, loved it during MoP!
Yes, I just went around Wednesday night to do the cycle with the primary teams in the guide and they all still worked. There are some minor issues (2 cata fights not for bags annoyingly so) and the guide will need to be updated for 6.0 taking into consideration all of the new pets. I only just finished my level 3 menagerie at 3 AM today, so I have a ways to go before I have all the pets (and then getting them to rare). Until then it's reasonably safe to use this guide still for pet levelling / bag collection.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » November 28th, 2014, 9:21 am

Just some info on the new Tamers. I don't know if your stance on them changed or not, but either way I figure info is good. In terms of experience gain. Relative to a wild pet battle:

Tarr the Terrible: 3x more EXP
Ashlei: 6x more EXP
Other WoD: 5x more EXP

For comparison:
MoP (regular and spirit) tamers: 5x more EXP
Cata/Wrath tamers: 3x more EXP
Celestial Tournament Undercard: 2x more EXP

I think Tarr might be a bug, but I have been taking data each day for the last week.

Also note that some of the menegerie battles are giving either 2x or 3x without a tamer, which is interesting.

Rendigar
MVP

Post by Rendigar » November 28th, 2014, 4:14 pm

Well based on my own running around to do them it is just not worth the time it would take. And the XP gain from the pets in your menagerie + free (???) healing at the pet vendor right there makes it almost not worth doing any of them unless you need the specific reward.

Just by way of comparison, in 4 hours I did 250 battles against the 3 birds and leveled 41 pets to 25 (from a broad range of levels, some 10's, some 21-23's). If fast strats are found for others of the daily battles it may be a lot less work to just wait for the days they are around, spend a couple hours grinding up a bunch, and then not worrying about it. Of course for people who have maxed all of their pets only the rewards from the bags/tamers are needed.

Still, I've got a lot of work to do before I really buckle down to dredging for better strats for the existing fights and contemplating exactly how to list out the new ones.

Iibis
Pet Score:4297
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Iibis » November 29th, 2014, 4:08 pm

I have a terrible feeling that the pet menagerie power leveling will be nerfed to oblivion before there's a 2nd time. :/ I personally aim to always use a strategy with a leveling pet option and a lvl 1 carry preferably so. For me it's not about the xp/hour, but rather if I'm doing them, I might as well get the most out of it. And it's also a lot more pleasant to get xp from a tamer vs. grinding e.g. 10 wild pet battles to get the same XP. So that's why I hope there will be also a WoD guide for solid leveling strategies - with the strategy focused on actual leveling pets and not the elekk plushie achievement. :) I think there are quite a few people who wouldn't mind getting the daily pet charms for battle/leveling stones, myself included.

Enderdragon
Pet Score:4206
BattleTag®:EnderDragon#1781
Realm:Earthen Ring-us

Post by Enderdragon » December 7th, 2014, 1:01 pm

Only note this guide is missing is that against Wastewalker Shu, your carry pet will be taking damage from Pounders Quake ability. So your carry pet does need probably over 450 HP.

I do hope to see a new WoD guide from you. I have used this current one for over a year now, and it has always served me greatly.

Rendigar
MVP

Post by Rendigar » December 8th, 2014, 11:17 am

Enderdragon wrote:Only note this guide is missing is that against Wastewalker Shu, your carry pet will be taking damage from Pounders Quake ability. So your carry pet does need probably over 450 HP.

I do hope to see a new WoD guide from you. I have used this current one for over a year now, and it has always served me greatly.
Wow, it's been this long and I think you're the first person to point that out! It's probably because everyone is so used to him (and he was one of THE most annoying to beat until the cricket strat) that everyone "just knew it". I'll have to make sure to fix that when I revamp this all. I really should go thru all the strats where the carry pet takes damage and actually make a note of the health needed for the vulnerable types, too. Since Pounder uses Quake which is strong vs Beasts they'll need more than others. *makes a note to self that he'll probably forget to read*

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » December 8th, 2014, 5:07 pm

With a lot of the 3 pet menagerie battles provided good EXP (Not MoP EXP levels of 5x, but 3x like Cata/Northrend) and being repeatable, do you think it worthwhile to list good carry pet strats for those?

Rendigar
MVP

Post by Rendigar » December 8th, 2014, 5:33 pm

Jerebear wrote:With a lot of the 3 pet menagerie battles provided good EXP (Not MoP EXP levels of 5x, but 3x like Cata/Northrend) and being repeatable, do you think it worthwhile to list good carry pet strats for those?
If they don't nerf them down to the floor I definitely think they are extremely valuable to have listed, yes.

Mrpogo
Pet Score:2408
Realm:Kul Tiras-us

Post by Mrpogo » January 21st, 2015, 10:54 am

I think this guide is great and very relevant still. The only thing I would change or well add to it, if someones suggested this already sorry, I didn't want to wade thru 19 pages to try and find it, but I would add for Aki the strat on PetBattles where it explains how to solo it with the Anubisath Idol. I did it twice last night and its the best strat out there for any of bosses.