Guide to tamer daily pet battles (5.3) - For veterans

Guides and information to collecting specific pets.
Phraide
Pet Score:1785
Realm:Cho'gall-eu
Re: Guide to tamer daily pet battles (5.3)

Post by Phraide » June 4th, 2013, 7:58 am

- Added a team for Goz Banefury
Nytemarerulez wrote: Good team - I don't have that rabbit but I do have a B/B DMR so I been using him, for the second pet I find Micro-Sunreaver to be better, Switch to him - then use Supercharge - Haywire - if it crit 1 shot dead, if not dies on the 2nd part of the attack, leaving you to spam laster on 3rd pet until micro dies, and if you know you will survive supercharge again - usually I don't bother and just use laser then when he dead fully pick my carry pet, then switch to DMR
It seems to be a good replacement to Anodized Robo-Cub. I will level my Microsentry right away and test it, thanks 8-)

Mick7bing
Pet Score:5318
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Mick7bing » June 4th, 2013, 12:02 pm

Gotta say,i have levelled 3-4 pets every day with the pandaren (11) tamers inc spirits.Any pet about level 4/5 can be upgraded to level 11/12 in one pet battle in halfhill buy using Spirebound Crab (or similar ) and using your low pet for one round.
Might help?

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » June 4th, 2013, 3:34 pm

Stencil wrote:
Kring wrote:
Phraide wrote: Aki the Chosen

vs Chirrup
- Shell Shield > Whirlpool > Snap
- Chain cast Snap, unless there is 1-turn left on your Shell Shield (then recast it)
Snap does 514 damage against Chirrup, Whirlpool only does 468 damage. I think it's better to not use Whirlpool against Chirrup and save the cooldown for Stormlash.
I think Whirlpool is best used at two specific points: the round before Chirrup dies (so that it lands on Stormlash) and the first round against Whiskers when he Dives and cannot otherwise be attacked. Against Chirrup, assuming no misses or crits, the timing has always worked for me if I go with:
- Shell Shield > Snap until 1 round left on Shield > Shell Shield > Whirlpool > Snap (Chirrup dies)
I personally use surge over whirlpool. As pointed out it isn't going to do do anymore dmg against chirrup because of the racial bonus for snap. Surge does two things.

1) It usually lets me go first and finish off stormlash before he gets in a racial bonus attack.
2) I can surge when Whiskers is going to dive.

The way it usually works for me is Crab easily solos both of the first two pets just spamming snap while keeping shell shield up and using surge to finish Stormlash. Then I surge the first round to get in dmg before whiskers dives. Then I snap. His dive hits and usually kills me but the racial kicks in and I pop back up and hit him with snap. I snap again and then he dies. Total 900-950 dmg with no crits. Swap in carry pet then moth which usually finishes whiskers off with one attack.

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » June 4th, 2013, 10:26 pm

On shu, I do a double swap when the pterrodax dies. Usually he dies during the beast. He should clear the first two with enough to make a dent in the last pet. For my other pet I use whichever mech I'm in the mood for. Usually Tonk, zep or animus.

Stencil
Pet Score:3290
Realm:Elune-us

Post by Stencil » June 5th, 2013, 6:20 am

Kpb321 wrote:
Stencil wrote:I think Whirlpool is best used at two specific points: the round before Chirrup dies (so that it lands on Stormlash) and the first round against Whiskers when he Dives and cannot otherwise be attacked. Against Chirrup, assuming no misses or crits, the timing has always worked for me if I go with:
- Shell Shield > Snap until 1 round left on Shield > Shell Shield > Whirlpool > Snap (Chirrup dies)
I personally use surge over whirlpool. As pointed out it isn't going to do do anymore dmg against chirrup because of the racial bonus for snap. Surge does two things.

1) It usually lets me go first and finish off stormlash before he gets in a racial bonus attack.
2) I can surge when Whiskers is going to dive.
I don't use Whirlpool against Chirrup; I cast it during Chirrup but its timed to land on the first round of Stormlash. I'm making a trade of taking a round of (zero) damage from Chirrup for a rounds worth of bonus damage done to Stormlash which is a total win. Stormlash should die before his racial becomes an issue.

You can Surge when Whiskers is going to dive but you can also Whirlpool and Whirlpool does a lot more damage than Surge.

Stencil

Post by Stencil » June 5th, 2013, 7:09 am

I've only tried it twice but I think Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling and Jade Crane Chick shows a lot of promise for Brok. The Crane Chick is great versus Incinderous; Thrash does extra damage and the shield blocks Swarm.

Brok
15 rounds
1: Carry pet (should have 500 HP to survive)
2: Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling (1,2,1) (Breath, Decoy, Bombing Run)
3: Jade Crane Chick (2,2,2) (Thrash, Jadeskin, Flock)

vs Kali
- Attack with your Carry pet > switch to Dragonling
- Breath > Decoy > Breath until Kali dies
vs Ashtail
- Bombing Run > Breath until Ashtail dies
vs Incinderous
- Breath until Dragonling dies > switch to Crane Chick
- Jadeskin > Thrash until Incinderous dies

Anasa
Top Rater
Pet Score:2322
Realm:The Venture Co-us

Post by Anasa » June 5th, 2013, 1:28 pm

I'm considering swapping in Menagerie Custodian everywhere the guide lists Darkmoon Tonk. He can be a little easier to get (less DMF grinding and waiting for the Faire), has a similar moveset, and appears to hit harder with those moves.

Thoughts?

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » June 5th, 2013, 2:31 pm

Anasa wrote:I'm considering swapping in Menagerie Custodian everywhere the guide lists Darkmoon Tonk. He can be a little easier to get (less DMF grinding and waiting for the Faire), has a similar moveset, and appears to hit harder with those moves.

Thoughts?
The custodian works great in place of the tonk, but the only think he lacks is the Minefield ability. So in situations where you want to do extra damage to the next opponent, you might still need to use the tonk.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Phraide

Post by Phraide » June 5th, 2013, 6:10 pm

- New team for Brok (16 rounds now instead of 18 rounds with the previous team)
- New team for Thundering Pandaren Spirit (23 rounds now instead of 25 rounds with the previous team)
Stencil wrote:I've only tried it twice but I think Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling and Jade Crane Chick shows a lot of promise for Brok. The Crane Chick is great versus Incinderous; Thrash does extra damage and the shield blocks Swarm.

Brok
15 rounds
1: Carry pet (should have 500 HP to survive)
2: Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling (1,2,1) (Breath, Decoy, Bombing Run)
3: Jade Crane Chick (2,2,2) (Thrash, Jadeskin, Flock)

vs Kali
- Attack with your Carry pet > switch to Dragonling
- Breath > Decoy > Breath until Kali dies
vs Ashtail
- Bombing Run > Breath until Ashtail dies
vs Incinderous
- Breath until Dragonling dies > switch to Crane Chick
- Jadeskin > Thrash until Incinderous dies
I can't believe I overlooked the Mechanical Pandaren Dragonlin. This pet is way better than Emerald Proto-Whelp against Brok!
I find Emperor Crab to be a bit more reliable than the Crane Chick though (guaranted 415 dmg Claw vs a 310 - 465 dmg Thrash - both super effective against Incinderous).

Thanks!
Quintessence wrote:
Anasa wrote:I'm considering swapping in Menagerie Custodian everywhere the guide lists Darkmoon Tonk. He can be a little easier to get (less DMF grinding and waiting for the Faire), has a similar moveset, and appears to hit harder with those moves.

Thoughts?
The custodian works great in place of the tonk, but the only think he lacks is the Minefield ability. So in situations where you want to do extra damage to the next opponent, you might still need to use the tonk.
Exactly that.

There are three fights where the Custodian (1,1,2) can replace the Tonk: Courageous Yon, Farmer Nishi and Goz Banefury. In those three fights, the Tonk already 2-shot the last pet with Shock and Awe > Ion Canon, so the little damage boost you gain with these abilities from the Custodian's higher attack rating is irrelevant here. The only difference between the Custodian and the Tonk for these fights is for the second pet: do you want to kill it with a 309 dmg/100% accuracy filler (the Custodian with Zap) or with a 351 dmg/90% accuracy filler (the Tonk with Missile) ? You decide ;) .
Last edited by Phraide on June 5th, 2013, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shinsui
Pet Score:12453
Realm:Nathrezim-us

Post by Shinsui » June 5th, 2013, 6:21 pm

Shinsui wrote:Ok, just found an amazing team for Major Payne posted by Stygimoloch on the wow forums. I've only tested it once so far, but it really rocked even with a little RNG issues

1. Corefire Imp (1,1,2)
2. Cogblade Raptor [5] (2,1,1)
3. carry pet

vs Grizzle
-cast immolation, then Wild Magic. Switch to Cogblade Raptor
-cast Exposed Wounds, then Batter until Grizzle dies

vs. Beakmaster
-cast Exposed Wounds, then Batter until it dies

vs. Flore
-cast Exposed Wounds, then Batter until Cogblade dies.
-switch to carry pet, then switch to Corefire Imp.
-cast immolation, Wild Magic. Burn until it dies.
Ok, I've tested this team for a few days now, and it holds up pretty well even with the stuns. Grizzle melts fast, beakmaster follows. The only issue I had once was when flore got a crit on my imp and killed it. It was low enough though that my carry pet finished it off. Was wondering if anyone else had playtested this team yet

Phraide

Post by Phraide » June 5th, 2013, 6:31 pm

- Added 'Introduction' with a link to [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4580]Guide to tamer daily pet battles (5.3) - For beginners[/url]
Shinsui wrote:
Shinsui wrote:Ok, just found an amazing team for Major Payne posted by Stygimoloch on the wow forums. I've only tested it once so far, but it really rocked even with a little RNG issues

1. Corefire Imp (1,1,2)
2. Cogblade Raptor [5] (2,1,1)
3. carry pet

vs Grizzle
-cast immolation, then Wild Magic. Switch to Cogblade Raptor
-cast Exposed Wounds, then Batter until Grizzle dies

vs. Beakmaster
-cast Exposed Wounds, then Batter until it dies

vs. Flore
-cast Exposed Wounds, then Batter until Cogblade dies.
-switch to carry pet, then switch to Corefire Imp.
-cast immolation, Wild Magic. Burn until it dies.
Ok, I've tested this team for a few days now, and it holds up pretty well even with the stuns. Grizzle melts fast, beakmaster follows. The only issue I had once was when flore got a crit on my imp and killed it. It was low enough though that my carry pet finished it off. Was wondering if anyone else had playtested this team yet
Unfortunately, I have bad luck and still don't have a rare Cogblade Raptor [5] (nor a Mechanical Battle Stone to upgrade a crappy one). I'll test this team as soon as I can 8-) .

Stencil

Post by Stencil » June 6th, 2013, 12:56 am

Phraide wrote:
Shinsui wrote:Was wondering if anyone else had playtested this team yet
Unfortunately, I have bad luck and still don't have a rare Cogblade Raptor [5] (nor a Mechanical Battle Stone to upgrade a crappy one). I'll test this team as soon as I can 8-) .
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I've captured rare B/B and S/B versions of the Cogblade but the S/S has eluded me.
Phraide wrote:I find Emperor Crab to be a bit more reliable than the Crane Chick though (guaranted 415 dmg Claw vs a 310 - 465 dmg Thrash - both super effective against Incinderous).
Yes, well the thing is I've had, for quite a while now, a little note in the file where I keep pet stuff telling me that it would be a good idea to go capture a P/P breed Emperor Crab. Keep putting it off though and the only one I have is H/H. That's the main reason I went looking for an alternate setup heh.

So far the Dragonling has been stronger against Ashtail than I thought he would be. I was expecting to benefit from Triple Snap having reduced damage versus Flyers. Also, the Chick will start out faster than whatever pet it swaps in against meaning it can get its shield up before taking a hit, which is a point in its favor.

The Crab's Snap attack isn't actually guaranteed since its a 95% hit chance, but I'm just being pedantic. More interesting is the damage value you give of 415; Inciderous has 1800 health so the Crab would need 5 rounds of attacks to kill him.

On one kill, I wanted to see some big numbers fly so I let the Dragonling die without it having done any damage versus Inciderous and then used Jadeskin > Flock > Thrash. I was a little disappointed, though, because he was dead on the first hit from Thrash - I only got to see one big number, heh :) Anyway, my point is that I think the Crane Chick only needs 4 rounds of attacks to kill a full health Incinderous versus 5 from Emp Crab.

In the end, especially should we find that the Dragonling regularly makes it to and damages Incinderous, it will just be a matter of personal preference. I'm partly just excited to find an opportunity to try out the Crane Chick because I think it might be the only flyer with a damage shield. I'm looking forward to the first time I have a bad RNG attempt, a couple of missed breaths versus Kali or something, to see what happens :)

Stencil

Post by Stencil » June 6th, 2013, 1:08 am

Phraide wrote:- New team for Thundering Pandaren Spirit (23 rounds now instead of 25 rounds with the previous team)
My first reaction seeing that you're using a death swap on Darnak is a concern that the sentry could die to Burrow leading to the Rabbit swapping in and taking a Stone Rush to the face and dying from that ... I suppose the Sentry is just killing Sludgy fast enough that there's no chance of the Mechanical passive being triggered until Darnaks Burrow?

Heh, I suspect if the Haywire misses, though, the attempt is well and truly screwed.

Kring
Pet Score:6755
BattleTag®:scrufola#2941
Realm:Kargath-eu

Re: Guide to tamer daily pet battles (5.3) - For veterans

Post by Kring » June 6th, 2013, 3:33 am

Phraide wrote: Burning Pandaren Spirit
17 rounds
1: Anubisath Idol [-] (1,2,1)
2: Snarly [-] (1,1,2)
3: Carry pet (will take quite a bit of damage from Crimson’s Cyclone. Should have 500 HP +)
I don't really like this as it fails about once out of three times for me. Is there a way to see the history of this guide? I'd like to know what the strategie before this one was. Or was it Idol and Proto-Whelp?

The problem is that the Idol takes to much damage from the first pet and snarly is down to about 500 hp from cyclone.
Phraide wrote: Wastewalker Shu
14 rounds
1: Zandalari Kneebiter [4] (2,2,2)
2: Chrominius [-] (1,1,2)
3: Carry pet
The raptor failed me way to often for this to be fun. And the team has no way to recover from bad RNG. I went back to the Red Cricket for Shu because I prefer a slightly longer battle over "repair and restart". But I might go back to Onyxia because she can recover from bad luck with healing flame and does more damage then the cricket.
Phraide wrote: Whispering Pandaren Spirit
24 rounds
1: Anubisath Idol [-] (1,1,1)
2: Carry pet
3: Chrominius [-] (1,1,2)
I finally bought a second Chrominius yesterday and tried the two Chrominius strategy I read [url=http://www.wowhead.com/quest=32440/whispering-pandaren-spirit#comments:id=1847964]here[/url]
sirinad @ wowhead wrote: By sirinad (5,511 – 2·10·66) on 2013/04/28 (Patch 5.2.0)
You may be looking for a way to defeat this trainer with only 2 pets in 5.2 so you can gain experience with a third. Here is a strategy to do it.

1) Start with your low level pet. The enemy with start with his moth Flyer. Do some sort of attack. Note that the enemy may put you to sleep before your attack goes through; you will still get credit and can continue with the strat.

2) Swap to Chrominius . You will want Bite, Ancient Blessing, and Surge of Power. On the first turn you can take an action, the enemy moth will be covered by Cocoon Strike; use Ancient Blessing to heal and get a little bit of health. From this point on, Bite the enemy to death. If the enemy is cocooned, use Ancient Blessing (this will only happen if the enemy puts you to sleep) since your attack would miss anyway.

There one trick to this moth that is pretty important. If your Dragon buff (do +50% damage on your next attack) activates and the enemy moth doesn't die, which is fairly common, you cannot kill the enemy until the buff falls off. If Ancient Blessing is off cooldown when the Dragon buff occurs, use it; if not, just pass. Then Bite the enemy to death.

3) The enemy will bring out his Dragon. Use Surge of Power. At this point, the strategy will assume Chrominius dies while re-charging. If not, just keep attacking with it and then follow the strat after he does die.

4) You will now want to bring out a SECOND Chrominius, except that you want Howl instead of Ancient Blessing. If you Bite the enemy Dragon twice, it should die. You do not need to do anything special about the Dragon buff this time.

5) The enemy will bring out his Elemental. Howl + Bite + Surge of Power should easily finish him off.
Took me 16 turns and the Chrominius is definitely more fun to play then the Idol, to me. He was worth the gold I paid for him. :-)

Phraide

Post by Phraide » June 6th, 2013, 6:57 am

Stencil wrote: The Crab's Snap attack isn't actually guaranteed since its a 95% hit chance, but I'm just being pedantic. More interesting is the damage value you give of 415; Inciderous has 1800 health so the Crab would need 5 rounds of attacks to kill him.

On one kill, I wanted to see some big numbers fly so I let the Dragonling die without it having done any damage versus Inciderous and then used Jadeskin > Flock > Thrash. I was a little disappointed, though, because he was dead on the first hit from Thrash - I only got to see one big number, heh :) Anyway, my point is that I think the Crane Chick only needs 4 rounds of attacks to kill a full health Incinderous versus 5 from Emp Crab.
Well, I gave the base values of these attacks. Against a Critter, Snap will do 625 dmg, and Thrash 465-700 dmg. Incinderous has 1806 HP: you will need 3 attacks to kill it with Emperor Crab and 3 to 4 attacks depending on your luck with the Jade Crane.
Furthermore, against Ashtail, you are not guaranted to attack first with the Crane, because Ashtail has the Quick-Attack ability, which will hamper your Thrash damage.
These are the 2 reasons why I find the Emperor Crab to be more reliable than the Crane against Brok. But I agree: if you don't have a rare Emperor Crab [4], then the Jade Crane is an excellent replacement.
Stencil wrote:My first reaction seeing that you're using a death swap on Darnak is a concern that the sentry could die to Burrow leading to the Rabbit swapping in and taking a Stone Rush to the face and dying from that ... I suppose the Sentry is just killing Sludgy fast enough that there's no chance of the Mechanical passive being triggered until Darnaks Burrow?

Heh, I suspect if the Haywire misses, though, the attempt is well and truly screwed.
Given a 95% accuracy, there is a 90% chance that both Haywire attacks will hit the target. That's good enough for me. You can still finish Sludgy with Laser though, if you have bad luck. Do you prefer a faster kill (the Sentry is 1-round faster), or a more reliable one (the Anodized Robo Cub can't miss)? The difference is pretty small here. But the Sentry is easier to get than the Robo Cub imho. Thus I replaced the Robo Cub with the Sentry in the guide.

The sentry will die to Burrow (forcing a swap and a Stone Rush on the Rabbit) if it eats a crit against one of Sludgy abilities. But the previous team with Anodized Robo Cub was in the same boat: a crit on one of Sludgy's abilities and your Rabbit was doomed. The death swap on Darnak is a problem, indeed.
I think I will begin the fight with the Carry pet.
Kring wrote:
17 rounds
3: Carry pet (will take quite a bit of damage from Crimson’s Cyclone. Should have 500 HP +)
I don't really like this as it fails about once out of three times for me. Is there a way to see the history of this guide? I'd like to know what the strategie before this one was. Or was it Idol and Proto-Whelp?
The problem is that the Idol takes to much damage from the first pet and snarly is down to about 500 hp from cyclone.
There is a little bit of RNG involved in this fight because of the Anubisath Idol (80% accuracy on his filler), and it can be annoying, I agree. But you only need 3 Crush to kill Crimson. If your Anubisath Idol has at least 350HP left when engaging Glowy, then you will defeat this tamer.
Cyclone is not a problem though : your Snarly could have 500 HP left when engaging the Pandaren Fire Spirit and still do the job. He only needs 3 rounds to kill the Pandaren Spirit, and will only eat a single Immolate in the process.

I'm sorry though, I don't have any archive of the previous team :( . Maybe someone can help?
Kring wrote:
Phraide wrote: Wastewalker Shu
14 rounds
1: Zandalari Kneebiter [4] (2,2,2)
2: Chrominius [-] (1,1,2)
3: Carry pet
The raptor failed me way to often for this to be fun. And the team has no way to recover from bad RNG. I went back to the Red Cricket for Shu because I prefer a slightly longer battle over "repair and restart". But I might go back to Onyxia because she can recover from bad luck with healing flame and does more damage then the cricket.
Yes, definitely way to much RNG involved here. I am still busy with my other guide for Beginners atm. But I will rework this team as soon as I can ;) .
Last edited by Phraide on June 6th, 2013, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Syrrie
MVP
Pet Score:6201
BattleTag®:Syrrie#1506
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Syrrie » June 6th, 2013, 9:19 am

Phraide wrote:Beasts of Fable
6 rounds

1: [pet]Unborn Val'kyr[/pet] [?] (1,2,2)
2: Pandaren Water Spirit [-] (1,2,2)
3: Chrominius [-] (1,1,2)

This is my generic team, which should work well against the majority of the BoF. The goal of this team is to set up a mix of bombs which will detonate on the same turn, under a Howl (+100% damage). You will deliver 100% of your damage at the same time: this way, the enemies won't be able to react and mitigate the damage with their powerful heals.

This strategy should grant you a kill on turn 6 or 7.

Round 1: Unholy Ascension
Your Unborn Val'kyr resurrects
Round 2: Curse of Doom
Your Unborn Val'kyr dies
Switch to Pandaren water spirit
Round 3: Geyser
Round 4: Whirlpool
Round 5: Switch to Chrominius
Round 6: Howl
At the end of this turn, Curse of Doom, Geyser and Whirlpool detonate at the same time with a +125% boost (25% from Unholy Ascension and 100% from Howl). The enemy takes a truckload of damage and is stunned.
Round 7: Surge of Power if the enemy is still alive
I just wanted to post and say a huge thank you for this team. I'm using it now and it is freaking amazing!
Image Image

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » June 6th, 2013, 1:46 pm

Kring wrote:
17 rounds

I noticed this seemed a little scary the first time I did it. You can get yourself a little more room by using deflection on the third round that he'd hit you with his Lift off ability. The only downside is you have to pass one round our you won't have it back off CD to eat the first attack from the fire spirit.